Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
^ Wait, why would you want to spray for Millipedes? They really don't seem like a problem.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Cmon Dana, no no no no.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Ok, well.

I mean there is probably nothing wrong with having an innocent childhood crush on an actual sentient intelligent being in a world with magical creatures

This would even be sort of cute IF NOT FOR

At least Ferny's not a pet, like in Raine Dog

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

The Bloop posted:

Ok, well.

I mean there is probably nothing wrong with having an innocent childhood crush on an actual sentient intelligent being in a world with magical creatures

This would even be sort of cute IF NOT FOR

I dont read the unicorn strip to know if not for.... She has a crush on the kid with the glasses right?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

computer angel posted:

I dont read the unicorn strip to know if not for.... She has a crush on the kid with the glasses right?

Dana was somewhat infamous on the forums for her earlier... webcomic?graphic novel? Raine Dog I think it was, people were wary of her when Heavenly Nostrils first started up years ago due to it.
Implied bestiality and a blatant buzzing/cutting off hair/fur fetish bleeding through were some of the few nuggets I remember.

I think it hit it's crescendo when the boy and the dog slept in the same bed, she made some remarks along the lines of 'I guess I'm the first girl you spent the night with, huh?', and then later got neutered? I'm fuzzy, that last part could have been in edits, they blur together so.

Moomin and the Comet

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (December 14, 1992)

490/75 markka in 1992 is around 120/18 euro or 145/22 usd today.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (December 14, 1992)

490/75 markka in 1992 is around 120/18 euro or 145/22 usd today.

Which is why the USPS* is so important, and why the GOP has spent decades trying to destroy and privatize it.

* get mail delivered anywhere, at no cost

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

The Bloop posted:

This sentence sums up my take on it, but we'll see where this goes. And here I thought she was going to have a crush on the older girl she tries to look cool for.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 03, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Dec. 03, 1944)

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Medenmath posted:

Absolutely breathtaking.

Classic Zits

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
When you're a little kid you have crushes on all sorts of people, that when you look back with the clarity of adulthood you think "what, why?" I think it's just part of figuring out who you are, what kinds of people you're drawn to, what you envy, what you value. At that age it's obviously not so much a sexual thing so much as it is, I think, an issue of projection and secretly extrapolating about the kind of person you hope to become some day. I remember having a crush on a kid in 2nd grade specifically because she told me that her family ate spaghetti twice a week-- and I wanted to eat spaghetti twice a week too, which manifested in a desire to be around her, to be part of her life, and to continue having post-CCD Dairy Queen hang-outs with her. I had a crush on another kid because he had a SEGA Genesis and his dad owned vending machines, and yet another kid because he ran up and down stairs on all fours like Spider-Man and I liked that he was just out there living his truth. I had a crush on a GameStop employee because he told me "good choice" when I went in to buy Ocarina of Time and gave me the freebie Zelda baseball cap even though I didn't pre-order. I had a crush on Mr. Clean because I didn't like seeing dirty counters or smudges on the oven range. I had a crush on Aladdin and Scottie Pippin because they could jump really high and some doofus on ER because I heard enough adult women call him handsome that I became convinced I was missing out. I had a crush on my second grade teacher because I saw her bra strap when she bent down to chew out this other kid in my class which I'm sure gave me all sorts of weird complexes. I had a crush on the new girl in 4th grade because I'd never seen tartan wool before and when I asked if I could feel what the hem of her skirt felt like she said yeah and it felt really comfortable. A kid had a crush on me and sang me Andrew Lloyd Weber songs every day, we held hands in the back of the room during 4th grade math and I felt bad for him for how sweaty his palms got, and for two consecutive Valentine's days he gave me these beautiful glass candle-holders in the shape of birds, I have no idea where he got them and when he grew up he became a priest. I had a crush on a kid in 7th grade bc he showed off a powerful karate move by kicking me in the stomach and then unexpectedly spooned me and apologized very very tenderly when I fell over in pain, and in 10th grade I was totally in love with a girl because we both thought this alligator we saw on a field trip was profoundly sad, and independently wrote maudlin Xanga posts about it, we dated for two years and still occasionally exchange friendly letters-- we both became teachers. Totally a different form of affection and attachment than an adult model of attraction, totally a completely bizarre and idiosyncratic process pieced together by still-forming brains shooting out feelers wildly in all directions in the midst of an overwhelmingly big world. Kid crushes are the weirdest poo poo on earth!

And it should go without saying that when I grew up and was an adult I never dated Mr. Clean or anybody who looked like him, I didn't roam around looking for guys who looked like Aladdin or people wearing kilts, it was all just the untrammeled and embarrassing maelstrom of identity formation. So I think in a comic in which unicorns are real, and can hang out, and have both magical powers and wisdom and no clear semblance of adult responsibilities or adult disciplinary fiat, it makes an ok amount of sense for a human kid to have that weird magnetic pull towards one.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 26, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Growing up very religious, I never understood why all my heavy crushes (and first couple of serious girlfriends) were all very non-religious. Then one day it occurred to me that maybe I personally wasn't very religious, and I was looking to romance as an off-ramp to a life I wasn't quite yet ready to admit I wanted for myself.

I finally came around to identifying as agnostic in college, and then I married a church pianist.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

:emptyquote:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

How Wonderful! posted:

And it should go without saying that when I grew up and was an adult I never dated Mr. Clean or anybody who looked like him, I didn't roam around looking for guys who looked like Aladdin or people wearing kilts, it was all just the untrammeled and embarrassing maelstrom of identity formation. So I think in a comic in which unicorns are real, and can hang out, and have both magical powers and wisdom and no clear semblance of adult responsibilities or adult disciplinary fiat, it makes an ok amount of sense for a human kid to have that weird magnetic pull towards one.

Oohhh she has a crush on the unicorn and not the kid with the glasses.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's not the main unicorn, it's a different unicorn that I don't recognize because I only look at Phoebe occasionally (I think it's a nice comic, I just can't keep up with everything itt).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah geez Phoebe having a crush on Marigold would be weird.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

How Wonderful! posted:

It's not the main unicorn, it's a different unicorn that I don't recognize because I only look at Phoebe occasionally (I think it's a nice comic, I just can't keep up with everything itt).

It was literally introduced last week.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Stay safe, Spud.

The Dinette Set should make that the slogan.

Working Daze tries to roll things back.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix could have timed that better.

Cul De Sac knows showmanship is unappreciated.

I always love strops about Mr. Otterloop's tiny car.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

It was literally introduced last week.

No they weren't

They were introduced as the reveal to Marigold's THERE IS A BEAST ruse

They've been around for a while

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The Bloop posted:

No they weren't

They were introduced as the reveal to Marigold's THERE IS A BEAST ruse

They've been around for a while

Plus, they've been shown to already have a crush on Phoebe. Which is part of the "hoooooo boy" and the "IF NOT FOR."

It should be pointed out, at least for me anyway, we're all aware that kid crushes are weird and make no sense and that this is probably going to be fine/normal/cute - it's just that we're also pre-disposed to brace for impact because we're also aware of Dana's past work.

I guess sort of like how most FOOB strips read differently if you know Lynn's background - this probably-innocuous comic is sparking up a lot of our memories about what we used to know Dana for, pre-Phoebe.

I think most of us know this will probably be fine and not worth noting by the end of the week. Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

So if this is supposed to be the true story of Christmas then that further proves Kevin and Kel are not the first predator/prey couple and there's nothing special about them at all.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am amazed that K&K didn't get enough :byodood:sacrilege:byodame: mail to get it shut down for this christmas story

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

The Bloop posted:

I am amazed that K&K didn't get enough :byodood:sacrilege:byodame: mail to get it shut down for this christmas story

It probably didn't get much since at the time it was still webcomic only yea? And the late 90s net was a much different world than our current one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Good Listener posted:

It probably didn't get much since at the time it was still webcomic only yea? And the late 90s net was a much different world than our current one.

christ i wasn't paying attention to the dates, yeah I guess its old as gently caress (much like me)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

The Good Innvandrer

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
That thing that Jeremy is talking into is what we called a "telephone". You held the "handset", which was connected by a coiled stretchable "cord" to the telephone base (or 'phone') itself. The phone was them connected by another (straight) cord to a jack in the wall, which was then connected via an extensive cabling system to the telephone company's equipment.

:science:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 10/6/40

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Forest scenes are the bomb!

The Phantom

Kit continues freezing his rear end off in Nepal or wherever he is.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Come on! It's a family strip!

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Medenmath posted:

That last panel! The way with words! Masterful! :swoon:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"No, I'm not talking to myself like a crazy person. There's totally people here...that you can't see."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Drew Cory is going to get murdered in a forest and his organs removed.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Oofa doofa

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Absolutely incredible :allears:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dismas posted:

Oofa doofa

doofa-dee doo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Alhazred posted:

"No, I'm not talking to myself like a crazy person. There's totally people here...that you can't see."

I mean, if she's wrong, no harm done. Webcomic, but relevant:

xkcd

Source

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yet another one that stumped me as a kid.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Buckle in - it's our last adventure! Will Modesty and Willie go out in a blaze of glory (like a certain short story) or have a happy ending? I'll find out the same time as you do.

And now, without further ado - The Zombie

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The Bloop posted:

doofa-dee doo

Oh dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm surprised the computer didn't say "Blaise? I'm out, analyze it yourself."