Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That reminds me to ask, remake ending spoilers: do you need to complete Ending D to get the new Ending? If so...:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My understanding is that you do Ending D, saves get deleted, you start a new one (possibly with a new name?) and then play through the first few hours until you get to the section in the Aerie where you first meet Kainé. After this, there’s like 90-120 minutes of new stuff and Ending E.

:yokotaro:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Escobarbarian posted:

My understanding is that you do Ending D, saves get deleted, you start a new one (possibly with a new name?) and then play through the first few hours until you get to the section in the Aerie where you first meet Kainé. After this, there’s like 90-120 minutes of new stuff and Ending E.

You have to use a new name, there's a blacklist for any file names that have hit ending D.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This should be good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BisbyWorl posted:

You have to use a new name, there's a blacklist for any file names that have hit ending D.

Thanks! I was gonna do it anyway just to be safe but this is good to have confirmed

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

You have to play as boy until you go to the aerie the second time and actually kill the shade, but otherwise yes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The new Mermaid chapter was nice. It fit pretty cleanly into the game, was pretty spooky, and had a really cool boss fight.
Really curious to come back to this one on Route B and find out what the mermaid was saying.

Facade Part 2 spoilers:
Emil gay, so what

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 26, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What's the best weapon location/upgrading guide to use if I am trying to get all that poo poo done as early as I possibly can?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

What's the best weapon location/upgrading guide to use if I am trying to get all that poo poo done as early as I possibly can?

https://www.powerpyx.com/nier-replicant-2021-weapon-locations-upgrades-guide/

Bear in mind getting it done early is still probably 20+ hours of grinding materials.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

https://www.powerpyx.com/nier-replicant-2021-weapon-locations-upgrades-guide/

Bear in mind getting it done early is still probably 20+ hours of grinding materials.

Ok then. Alternate question: what endings can I still get without that poo poo, and what's the best YouTube video to watch the endings I can't?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

Ok then. Alternate question: what endings can I still get without that poo poo, and what's the best YouTube video to watch the endings I can't?

You can get all the endings, upgrading weapons is just for a trophy other than mechanically making them more powerful.

Everything after B is locked behind collecting all the weapons, not upgrading them. Collecting them is easy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That said the weapon stories are some fuckin doozies so definitely look them up.

Speaking of, are there any new weapons?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

You can get all the endings, upgrading weapons is just for a trophy other than mechanically making them more powerful.

Everything after B is locked behind collecting all the weapons, not upgrading them. Collecting them is easy.
unless they went with how it worked in automata, upgrading the weapons also makes them look slightly more kickass each time, which is equally important

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

That said the weapon stories are some fuckin doozies so definitely look them up.

Speaking of, are there any new weapons?

There are the free Nier weapons.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Weapon/ending spoilers There are the DLC weapons, the original DLC weapons, and one more weapon after ending E

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Oh that's much more reasonable. Thank you!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

My copy finally showed up :toot:
now i can obsess over this game properly

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mid-Act 2 spoilers: going through the research lab and god, 10 years later and I’m still completely disgusted by Number 6 and 7’s backstory. That short story really hosed me up :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished Ending E. I don’t know that it adds much thematically, but it was very weird and fun and I liked it a lot. Was definitely worth getting to in the end.

There’s a really cute and funny new thing in the options menu once you’re done, too

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

gotta say, this is a really high quality sheep ranching simulator

(also: oh my gosh the new combat kicks so much rear end, I love that you can parry now)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reading Grimoire NieR now and this is loving nuts and I love it. Just casually dropping huge bombs like ”oh btw Emil was in love with NieR and Kainé knew about it” throughout.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Reading Grimoire NieR now and this is loving nuts and I love it. Just casually dropping huge bombs like ”oh btw Emil was in love with NieR and Kainé knew about it” throughout.

My memory of the original release is pretty vague, but either they added a few spots in the remake that suggest this or they were always there and make sense in that context

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mid-Act 2 spoilers: oh thank god, there’s fast travel now

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Still waiting on my White Snow edition to be delivered. Supposed to show up sometime in the next 4 hours.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

My memory of the original release is pretty vague, but either they added a few spots in the remake that suggest this or they were always there and make sense in that context

They were always there but downplayed in the original localization.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/1386667238900518915

I'm genuinely overjoyed about this.

The UK has finally proven to not be pure loving trash for once and this game truly deserves this, even when Pokemon Snap dethrones it this week.

Fuk yes Yoko Taro

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RubberLuffy posted:

Still waiting on my White Snow edition to be delivered. Supposed to show up sometime in the next 4 hours.

I’ve put off opening mine until I finish all the endings just so I can dive in to the materials without worrying about spoilers.

It’s just sat there staring at me.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

I’ve put off opening mine until I finish all the endings just so I can dive in to the materials without worrying about spoilers.

It’s just sat there staring at me.

I wish I had the game to play lol, I got the bundled physical PS4 version with the White Snow box

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/1386667238900518915

I'm genuinely overjoyed about this.

The UK has finally proven to not be pure loving trash for once and this game truly deserves this, even when Pokemon Snap dethrones it this week.

Fuk yes Yoko Taro

Rad, and Toylogic isn't exactly a top shelf developer (at least by name) so it's not impossible that this game is already in the green, right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Rad, and Toylogic isn't exactly a top shelf developer (at least by name) so it's not impossible that this game is already in the green, right?

Almost definitely, as this is purely physical sales from the UK only.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yo, are enemies as of mid-Act 2 just tanky as gently caress or something? Killing them takes forever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That article does mention it sold half of what Automata did.
Slow week I guess

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Pollyanna posted:

Yo, are enemies as of mid-Act 2 just tanky as gently caress or something? Killing them takes forever.

If on hard especially so yes. Rely on triangle and charge triangle attacks as well as heavyweight weapons. This strips armor off enemies which will let you do more damage. Dark Hand with a couple of charges also strips armor pretty good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Got it. I should probably upgrade weapons, too...but in order to do that, I have to grind Junk Heap and ew.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Yoko Taro's totally intended big brain game idea:

1. Make a game about not judging a book by its cover so dull at the beginning that it gets widely panned by critics and doesn't sell.
2. Wait 10 years and make a good game.
3. Make a remaster of the first game that sells this time due to how good the second game is. Everybody discovers that the first game actually good.
4. Everybody gets taught a lesson about not judging a book by its cover.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

They are, but if you hit O, or whatever your right most button is, next to the person sized ones while they are laying on the ground you should instakill them. Just hit them with two Dark Lances to knock them down.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Sure but don't sweat it too much, if you're not going for 100% completion that is. Some further advice under spoilers if you want it. You can honestly get through most of the game with the sword Faith. The upgrades to lvl3 with that weapon are fairly cheap compared to other weapons. Don't forget to attach better damage percentage boosting words on all your used weapons as well, you get much better ones as random drops pretty regularly from enemies in part 2. The two handed sword and spear you get at the start of act 2 can also hold their own with a couple of upgrades. Just focus on one or two weapons of each type, and mix up some different words like guard break and such for two handers if you want to open things up to attack a bit more easily.

^^^Also what the above poster said.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

It's finally time to play Replicant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Got it. I should probably upgrade weapons, too...but in order to do that, I have to grind Junk Heap and ew.

Use a heavy spear and they go down faster.