Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

DNK posted:

That job is $200 materials, $500 labor, and $2300 gently caress you

Sounds about right. I wish I could wait it out but I'd really like some walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Seems standard; they’d be selling knives or vacuums or encyclopedias in an earlier era.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I had a similar experience with a company. We were getting quotes for new gutters. Most of the time a guy came out, took some measurements asked a few questions, and 15 minutes later we had a quote.

Then this fuckhead from Lindus construction comes, with a laptop to play us a movie, a full working diorama thing of the gutters with leaf guard and a little hose that would sprinkle water on the gutters and fake leafs, and like an hour sales pitch. We kept pushing him to hurry up as we had an appointment, and basically started putting on our coats and shoes telling him we were leaving for somewhere before he finally gave us a quote.

$25,000 for gutters on a 1500 sqft house...

Blocked his number, blocked his email, and never dealt with that company for anything again.

Holy gently caress, 25000 is what I'm hoping to spend on a KITCHEN REMODEL for a simlarly sized house (like 150sqft kitchen if that) not gutters.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Hi Homeowner thread.

After dealing with an estate sale we initially put an offer in on January 1st, we finally closed this past Friday. I really hate attorneys!

Bookmarking this thread so I can join in on the fun in the future.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

tater_salad posted:

Holy gently caress, 25000 is what I'm hoping to spend on a KITCHEN REMODEL for a simlarly sized house (like 150sqft kitchen if that) not gutters.

Triple that, unless you're planning to move electricity and plumbing, in which case it'll sail past $100k

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
We were quoted 22k for just labor for the kitchen and bathroom and we still had to buy the materials. Shopping around some others are cheaper, but not by a ton. We're admittedly in a HCOL area but renovation costs are no joke right now.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My wife, looking at houses: "This one looks nice but we'd need to change the kitchen."
Me, while reading this thread in TYOOL 2021: lol

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Residency Evil posted:

My wife, looking at houses: "This one looks nice but we'd need to change the kitchen."
Me, while reading this thread in TYOOL 2021: lol

It's no joke, man. So glad we didn't go with one of the options we had that would've required a total gut of the kitchen and a bathroom to be added.

Hell, I got a quote for $31k to build a 24x24 garage, mostly thanks to lumber costs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tater_salad posted:

4. company I went with. Came in, salesguy was basically an installer/tech who transitioned to sales kuz his knees n back were too old for doing it. Their quote was reasonable, ( a wee bit higher than #3 lower than #1). Ended up with them, salesman came and helped teh installer haul the old hunk of poo poo out and then installer worked on installing. Generally they worked as 2 to a team but at the start of pandemic they were down to 1.

4 is basically what we went with for the heat pump replacement on my old house. Ex-tech turned sales, who (along with the company owner!) came by the next day with a spare outdoor unit to limp the system through a couple days before the new heat pump showed up. Even had to spend some time rigging up a pressure line straight to the TXV just to keep it from slamming shut.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I requested 4 quotes on rebuilding a 10x20 patio with absolutely no frills and low-quality wood/railings. 4 feet off the ground so right in the easiest, cheapest height for building.

Three never responded, and the only quote we got was $16,500

Wood is precious

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Yeah it was INSANE. Just to give some context the company we went with for gutters ended up charging us $3200, and that was with some extra add-ons included. It was so absurd, that I wonder if they sell gutters to anyone ever.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Dang y'all I'm just outside DC and got a local company to do seamless gutters and downspouts on the entire house for 1900. Admittedly, it's only like 100 linear feet.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Triple that, unless you're planning to move electricity and plumbing, in which case it'll sail past $100k

i'm in a LCOL rea, 100k would be >1/2 the value of my home.

Realistically I'm seeing this being a 30k renovation.. but maybe I'm stupid.
Plumbing will most likely due to cost of moving. Electrical if I move dishwasher maybe but I dont think we're planning on it if it moves it's easily accessible from udnerneath / when drywall is opened.
I plan on doing a LOT of work myself which I am capable of doing
I will not be doing structural drawings/confirmation of the possiblity of removing 1 doorway and adding another. I have an engineer that will do drawings / stamps for next to nothing. If that goes over 10k we will probably not be doign it.
Drywall, I'll pay someone all day everyday to hang and mud drywall. I don't think I could find anyone who would be willing to do just mud without it being nearly the cost of if they hung it too.

10k for cabinets because they are expensive. probably closer to 7k
5kish? Countertops no clue what materials missus wants. - I will pay someone to do this because I'm not loving it up and costing myself Xk in material.
5k misc. poo poo that I know will blow through easily.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My brother nonchalantly said he was planning to build a 10x15 gazebo for around $2,000 and I asked him he had looked at lumber prices lately.

He has not.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

My brother nonchalantly said he was planning to build a 10x15 gazebo for around $2,000 and I asked him he had looked at lumber prices lately.

He has not.

yeah.. I'm dreading finishing the shelves I need to build for the area of basement I refinished in the fall but ran out of good weather to do the last little bit of.
luckily since basement the crown molding will be the plastic/foam poo poo.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Everyday I'm thankful I got my pergola up and fence extended last summer before lumber supply went to total poo poo.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

We're probably going to go ahead with our kitchen remodel as soon as we get the contractor we want (the Amish dude), and I've been mentally adjusting demo plans - definitely gonna be carefully dismantling now and saving any usable lumber we extract (probably mostly old growth 2x4s).

Also my friend did a bunch of deck work last summer and had some leftover OSB and other lumber he left outside in his scrap heap because he didn't want to bother with lugging it back to Home Depot to return it. Now he's kicking himself for letting it rot because otherwise he could probably get a couple hundred bucks for it on Craigslist.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I'm still worried about our deck/porch. We're using Trex for decking, but the project manager dicked around for 4 months before the owner took over and got us what we needed to submit for HOA approval and then permits.

Still waiting on permits (submitted last week, in the system but not approved yet), but the contract we signed was pricing from last October. I dunno if they're going to honor it or gently caress me over on materials. We'll find out!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I wanted to make some more shelves to match what my Dad made, so I went out to buy some 1x6. Now, he had to buy 8' lengths and cut out the awful bits to make 3' long, 12" deep shelves. I went to the local Home Depot, and the 1x6x6 was over $30, and the select grade looked like common, and the common grade looked like it was firewood. I went to Lowes, and their 1x6x6 looked pretty nice, and was "only" $20 each. :( They were fairly straight so I bought them, but god drat.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Alarbus posted:

I wanted to make some more shelves to match what my Dad made, so I went out to buy some 1x6. Now, he had to buy 8' lengths and cut out the awful bits to make 3' long, 12" deep shelves. I went to the local Home Depot, and the 1x6x6 was over $30, and the select grade looked like common, and the common grade looked like it was firewood. I went to Lowes, and their 1x6x6 looked pretty nice, and was "only" $20 each. :( They were fairly straight so I bought them, but god drat.

My shelves are suppose to be like pine or something a little "fanncier" and like 1"x3'x6'. Lol I'm never finishing that part of the basement, gunna get some wire racks and toss em in the corner I guess.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I just got a quote for getting our spare bedroom drywalled. Roughly $3000 (CND) for about 300sqft of wall. Seems like a lot, and yet also totally not unreasonable since anything to do with home improvement has gotten more expensive. No other contractor has held interest long enough to even quote it, so I guess demand is still very high.

I just hired a guy to do ~600 sqft, one of the wall is 11 ft tall, two windows, one door. Also a small half wall. We're doing the tear out of the old tongue and groove and taping kraft paper to the floor. He does everything including priming. We paint and reinstall trim. Quote was $2200.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

That makes me sad. I had to do the demo too, and we're not even getting any trim thrown in. Just tape, seal and prime. Getting any paint would be $400 extra.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Replaced my 20-year HVAC recently with a dual speed and I like it so far.

The sales rep also recommended sealing the ducts using something called "aeroseal" to seal up the leakage in the ducts, which have a lot of insulation on top of them and are not accessible in person. Cost would be around $3,000.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it. I had them measure the leakage level and it came down to 18%. In addition to making the unit more efficient, I read that it would also increase the lifespan of the unit as a whole (since it would work less frequently) and also reduce dust levels around the house (because some level of dust is currently being sucked in from the attic).

Anyone have advice?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Slow News Day posted:

Replaced my 20-year HVAC recently with a dual speed and I like it so far.

The sales rep also recommended sealing the ducts using something called "aeroseal" to seal up the leakage in the ducts, which have a lot of insulation on top of them and are not accessible in person. Cost would be around $3,000.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it. I had them measure the leakage level and it came down to 18%. In addition to making the unit more efficient, I read that it would also increase the lifespan of the unit as a whole (since it would work less frequently) and also reduce dust levels around the house (because some level of dust is currently being sucked in from the attic).

Anyone have advice?

I don't have any anecdotes or reviews, but if you're curious to see what it looks like on a TV show, here's an Aeroseal job on This Old House:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsnZ3bcQqD4

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
From an economic standpoint, I doubt you'll save that $3,000 in utility bills and it'll be hard to say if it does add life to your furnace.

From a resource standpoint, I have no idea of the net environmental costs are lower or higher.

Finally, from a quality of life standpoint, I would say sealed ducts and better overall heating and cooling is good. I don't know if it's $3,000 good. That's up to you.

Personally I'd pay an amount for that. I already spent money on mastic sealing a big chunk of my ductwork and I do think it helped those rooms stay warmer this winter. That was dirt cheap and I still doubt I saved the equivalent in utilities.

Really I just came to complain that I think I found another large opening in my ductwork I didn't see before. There's a warm spot on the kitchen floor and I see the top of the duct is bowed right at the joint. It's a tight space and I am not looking forward to figuring out how to suck it back together.

Edit, probably drive one screw in it and pull up while I put another in binding the joint properly.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Looking for recommendations on a few things, not sure if there is a furniture thread? But here goes:

Bed set/mattresses -- in the US we have these chains like Mattress Firm or American Mattress, I can try that. How about Ikea? Or internet only options that aren't garbage?

Smart switches -- any consensus best models / brands?

LED light bulbs -- should I just go with what's in my price range and looks good at Lowe's / HD?

Couch -- looking at this one from Article, any others in the price/quality range I should consider? https://www.article.com/product/1170/ceni-volcanic-gray-sofa
At a rando furniture store in my area, Walter E Smithe, the lowest price couches they carry are like $4k and fugly since they're the cheapest. The Article one seems very good for $1k, and way better than the ~$400 options from Ikea.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 27, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Right about a year ago we ordered our Article couch and it's the best pandemic investment we made. My butt has put an above average number of hours on that thing and it's looking great still.

I didn't like the Casper mattress we ordered, I wanted one more firm and a bit taller, plus it is just a little smaller than the bed frame and I feel cheated. I still sleep on it and have for about three years.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Costco is a pretty good bet for furniture of you like their style.

Also Costco is pretty good for mattresses too. Got a memory foam one that I've liked for the past year.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Really happy with our tuft and needle mattress, worth a look. When they say don’t open it until it’s in the room it will be in they aren’t kidding, I’m amazed at how much they were able to compress it down for shipping.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

devmd01 posted:

Really happy with our tuft and needle mattress, worth a look. When they say don’t open it until it’s in the room it will be in they aren’t kidding, I’m amazed at how much they were able to compress it down for shipping.

Second. Our guest bed is a tuft and needle and guests (remember those?!) would always comment on how great it was.

Amazon Prime brought it to me in 36 hours for free in an inexplicably tiny box.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I absolutely love our Article furniture. We have a Sven sofa and a Mod chair.

Our mattresses are Zinus Green Tea from Amazon and I really think they're basically the same as all the other internet foam mattress-in-a-box places but cheaper. We're not the most picky sleepers though, so someone might have stronger opinions about stepping up a degree.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Our mattresses are Zinus Green Tea from Amazon and I really think they're basically the same as all the other internet foam mattress-in-a-box places but cheaper. We're not the most picky sleepers though, so someone might have stronger opinions about stepping up a degree.

Second this. We needed a mattress for a spare bedroom. Got the wire cutter pick at the time, the zinus from Amazon. I honestly prefer it to our Casper and have had multiple people ask where we got it from because they liked it.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Inner Light posted:

Looking for recommendations on a few things, not sure if there is a furniture thread? But here goes:

Bed set/mattresses -- in the US we have these chains like Mattress Firm or American Mattress, I can try that. How about Ikea? Or internet only options that aren't garbage?

We have been extremely happy with our mattresses from Original Mattress Factory - we got a nice pillow top mattress for our bed and a basic one for the guest bed.

They have brick and mortar stores so you can test the different mattresses (definitely sounds less than appetizing now that there's a pandemic raging, but it really does help to see what they all feel like) and they make and sell their own stuff. One thing we were extremely keen on is the fact they make double-sided pillow top mattresses (which are apparently rare now). Single-sided mattresses cannot be flipped and will wear out twice as fast. Also they make split queen box springs (100% worth the extra $50).

As for IKEA mattresses, in my experience, it's hit or miss. Out of two foam mattresses we've had from there, the thin firm one was great and is still good (though not in use right now), and the other was a thicker soft squishy one that I loving hated but my husband preferred over the firm one for some unknowable reason. Felt like sleeping on a marshmallow (and not in a good way) and wore in ways that made it less and less comfortable over time. It has since been kicked to the curb.

I personally wouldn't order an Internet mattress that I wasn't able to physically assess.

Can't help on the other items. I love our couch and would recommend it but it's a decades-old beast of unknown provenance so I can't.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
oops wrong thread.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inner Light posted:

LED light bulbs -- should I just go with what's in my price range and looks good at Lowe's / HD?

I have not had the best of luck with that.

I found https://www.1000bulbs.com/fil/categories/led-light-bulbs a while back. They have a range of quality/price and a pretty good search/sort system. I've found that buying quality bulbs rated with a CRI of 90+ is totally worth it for me. If you're replacing halogens or whatever in cans or incandescents in cans or globes look for "enclosure rated" bulbs. They will be designed with enough heat sink to keep the electronics from getting fried.

While I usually just buy from them......yeah, find what you want and throw that part number in the googler.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

I have not had the best of luck with that.

I found https://www.1000bulbs.com/fil/categories/led-light-bulbs a while back. They have a range of quality/price and a pretty good search/sort system. I've found that buying quality bulbs rated with a CRI of 90+ is totally worth it for me. If you're replacing halogens or whatever in cans or incandescents in cans or globes look for "enclosure rated" bulbs. They will be designed with enough heat sink to keep the electronics from getting fried.

While I usually just buy from them......yeah, find what you want and throw that part number in the googler.

That place rocks I highly recommend it as well.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

We got a non-green tea Zinus 8" and it was a real dud. Simultaneously hard and permanently deformed to our bodies so we ended up sleeping in ruts until we gave up after 3 months. Ironically, I had more success with two "Best Price" brand mattresses from Amazon. We had a Casper that was disappointing as well.

Your mileage may vary, though. Most have excellent return policies.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Blindeye posted:

We got a non-green tea Zinus 8" and it was a real dud. Simultaneously hard and permanently deformed to our bodies so we ended up sleeping in ruts until we gave up after 3 months. Ironically, I had more success with two "Best Price" brand mattresses from Amazon. We had a Casper that was disappointing as well.

Your mileage may vary, though. Most have excellent return policies.

Oh yeah I forgot about the guarantees. I want to live vicariously through someone grifting matress companies.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Any suggestions on where I can get some sconces and ceiling lights? I'm mostly interested in finding a couple brands that will have something well-built. I've found a couple that have entire catalogs that belong in the lobby of a hotel/office building. I also am not interested in "old timey candle holder". I'm still looking for what I do want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Guy Axlerod posted:

Any suggestions on where I can get some sconces and ceiling lights? I'm mostly interested in finding a couple brands that will have something well-built. I've found a couple that have entire catalogs that belong in the lobby of a hotel/office building. I also am not interested in "old timey candle holder". I'm still looking for what I do want.

There's a million different fixtures and you're only going to find three that fit your style, one will be 10x more expensive than you want, one will require special bulbs, and the other will be out of stock.

I like Lamps Plus personally. Or Lowes Depot or Costco if I don't give a poo poo how it looks or see something particularly nice.