Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Noah Caldwell Gervais on the life and times of Kyle Katarn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMAYCB3b7rY

You know, when Disney took over I only really wanted Thrawn, Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn, and just the entire X-Wing Rogue/Wraith Squadron story ported from the EU if it meant that everything else had to fry.

After seeing how they did Thrawn... eh...

I miss some stuff from EU because poo poo, reading EU novels was how I really got acclimated to reading long stuff back in Elementary school in the 90s and I miss Kyle and his goofy self

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MechaX posted:

You know, when Disney took over I only really wanted Thrawn, Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn, and just the entire X-Wing Rogue/Wraith Squadron story ported from the EU if it meant that everything else had to fry.

After seeing how they did Thrawn... eh...

I miss some stuff from EU because poo poo, reading EU novels was how I really got acclimated to reading long stuff back in Elementary school in the 90s and I miss Kyle and his goofy self

show thrawn and the first two books are ok. mara jade gets pretty much ruined by old canon. and alphabet squadron books are really good. like better then wraith in some ways. i miss parts of old canon too. but mostly Kotor and old republic era stuff more then post endor stuff.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1386740682287685645

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Fil5000 posted:

This confused me because I hadn't realised there were two youtubers called Thew

Same. I got super worried about the nice man who tells me about Transformers for a sec

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I watched MB's Mushoku Tensei video and I will at least give him credit on repeatedly saying that the main character is genuinely awful which at least puts him above other anime youtubers *cough*gigguk*cough* that just make light of everything with ""joaks"". I don't think Gigguk is an actual apologist for pedophilia or anything but there's only so many times you can try and tell us that a show is really good if you just ignore [x] or [y] while couching it in a joke.

Mushokutensei is absolute trash and I hate that so many animators are probably getting paid absolute pennies for that poo poo. The animation industry as a whole is probably going to collapse in on itself sooner rather than later.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Honestly Sage is the only anime youtuber I can really watch. He's grown a lot from just doing riffs on old bad OVAs for yuks and some of his newer videos are great in how they use example shows and films to discuss broader topics.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

pepesweating.jpg

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I suddenly woke up in a puddle of my own sweat. "Was it all a dream?" I thought. "Was I imagining myself in bed, with Inugami Korone?" I wiped the sweat off my brow, turned to the other side of the bed, only to see Inugami Korone lying asleep next to me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

cum posted:

I suddenly woke up in a puddle of my own sweat. "Was it all a dream?" I thought. "Was I imagining myself in bed, with Inugami Korone?" I wiped the sweat off my brow, turned to the other side of the bed, only to see Inugami Korone lying asleep next to me.

This bit sucks tbh

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
You're not going to shame anyone for liking the anime vutuber dog in the thread for arguing about kids movies sorry

Vvvvv i'm talking about the weirdo posting sexual fantasies ya dummy not you lol

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 27, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Mr Phillby posted:

You're not going to shame anyone for liking the anime vutuber dog in the thread for arguing about kids movies sorry

lmao I love Korone too, I just don't post weird fan fic about myself having sexual relations with the vtuber dog unprompted in a thread for yelling about the nostalgia critic

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Honestly Sage is the only anime youtuber I can really watch. He's grown a lot from just doing riffs on old bad OVAs for yuks and some of his newer videos are great in how they use example shows and films to discuss broader topics.

MB is really bad about 'the trope is bad, except when I like the show.' Sage seems to have grown out of that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

MB is really bad about 'the trope is bad, except when I like the show.' Sage seems to have grown out of that.

Sage was recently asked if he'd take down his older videos and he decided to keep them up in order to let people who like them watch them and to not whitewash his past, less than savory, video screw ups. And I can respect that. It helps show how he's grown from reviewer to video essayist.

I also like that he's easy to follow and explains things in a manner that doesn't scream "you won't know what I'm talking about if you aren't already inundated in the culture." the way MB comes off as, or several other youtubers. It's accessible by not bogging you down with terminology like sakuga or chūnibyō when you have applicable terms like "animation good" and "delusional teenager"

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 26, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Who's Sage? I like videos about anime but I'd like ones that don't talk as much about waifus.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

YggiDee posted:

Who's Sage? I like videos about anime but I'd like ones that don't talk as much about waifus.

Bennett Whyte, aka Bennett the Sage. He does a show called Anime Abandon and he's collaborated a lot with voice actor Marc Swint.
A lot of his work is looking at gutter trash OVAs and the insane world of 90s dubbing and licensing, but he does touch on more recent shows and films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZR9lIw_G4g

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Thanks!

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I don't see what's wrong with Sage's old videos. Sure they're less analytical and more jokey but that's fine by me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bakeneko posted:

I don't see what's wrong with Sage's old videos. Sure they're less analytical and more jokey but that's fine by me.

His video on Evangelion is pretty bad, not gonna lie. I get that part of it was doing a bit but it still felt like a copout. Or his video on Akira that didn't have much to say apart from "hacking apart a phonebook thick Manga series to make a two hour film leaves a lot to he desired for coherency."

When he was riffing on OVA schlock it was fine but he didn't always give some shows a fair shake and they stand out compared to his analytical reviews from the same time for stuff he enjoyed. And he's said as much, especially with the Akira review because there is so much to talk about surrounding the film that he didn't do because he was going for laughs in the angry review format of the time.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 27, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Katt posted:

I don't known if I would call McDonalds the Disney of food. Me personally and everyone I ever knew in my youth growing up in Sweden we always noted McDonalds for their surprisingly bad food. Even for children. Maybe it's because every McDonalds location in our city is within comfortable walking distance of a burger king so it was always and either/or choice. Also growing up in the 90s McDonalds never had the semblance of wholesomeness about it. It was always depressing garbage served by abused people to people who knew it was bad for them.
My only kind thought about McDonalds is that they bought out the national fast food franchise and replaced all their locations with McDonalds before I could grow up enough to realise that those places, too, were depressing garbage food served by underpaid workers having entitlements stolen from them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

When he was riffing on OVA schlock it was fine but he didn't always give some shows a fair shake and they stand out compared to his analytical reviews from the same time for stuff he enjoyed. And he's said as much, especially with the Akira review because there is so much to talk about surrounding the film that he didn't do because he was going for laughs in the angry review format of the time.

All credit to Bennett because he wasn't one of the reviewers you might immediately think would turn into 'mostly thoughtful essayist who does really good personal stuff.' His video on the last... I guess you'd call it main Tenchi series (or movie) was quite something with him going on about his personal connection to the series because while there have been a lot of spinoffs the actual Tenchi he connected with is gone and isn't coming back.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you ain't really an internet reviewer until you've been wrong about evangelion

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfXoUaeLcDU

Map Men are coming out with videos at an uncharacteristic rate.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Mr Phillby posted:

Vvvvv i'm talking about the weirdo posting sexual fantasies ya dummy not you lol

Ooooh lol sorry my bad lmao

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Korone is cool.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What is with the seemingly explosive popularity of vtubers? I’ve seen several forums and discords now actually split vtuber talk from youtube.

Like, I’m not surprised they are successful since people watch Let’s Plays even without a facecam at all, much less a rigged animated model. They just seemed to take off around fall of last year, and it’s more just how popular they are which has me surprised. Are they playing a character or something?

(And you can be cynical and say something about nerds and anime girls, but I think there’s more to it than that)

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Pants Donkey posted:

And you can be cynical and say something about nerds and anime girls

nah they probate you if you do that

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Katt posted:

Someone here made me check out Quinton Reviews and I just wasted almost an hour of my life watching this guy who somehow managed to be both hungry and horny for McDonalds. Lament the loss of specific restaurants.

In the most boring way possible. You owe me, unnamed stranger.
QR is honestly putting me off his stuff with all the begging for engagement. I get that it's a me-problem and that it's a necessity in youtube world. I just don't care for the way he does it. It feels very needy. Again I know that it's a me problem and he seems like a nice dude and he should keep getting that buck. I've also increasingly felt like his videos are just too padded and long, despite loving long rear end videos.

Violet_Sky posted:

You lasted longer than I did holy poo poo. The revival never grabbed me. Something was missing. Then the Sailor Moon review came out and welp.
It did give us Allison Pregler's fantastic Top 10 Hottest Animated Dogs videos that a lot of people either took seriously or got mad at her for. I loved that video.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ohohoho I'll be watching that one later.
NoahCaldwellGervais.txt

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Bonaventure posted:

nah they probate you if you do that
The tedious garbage digs are getting incredibly stale.

Here's a rundown of all of the Starship Troopers sequels.
In/Frame/Out"The Sequels To STARSHIP TROOPERS That Shouldn't Exist"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WyqWus3dzo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pants Donkey posted:

What is with the seemingly explosive popularity of vtubers? I’ve seen several forums and discords now actually split vtuber talk from youtube.

Like, I’m not surprised they are successful since people watch Let’s Plays even without a facecam at all, much less a rigged animated model. They just seemed to take off around fall of last year, and it’s more just how popular they are which has me surprised. Are they playing a character or something?

(And you can be cynical and say something about nerds and anime girls, but I think there’s more to it than that)

iirc, vtubers were actually kinda on a slow downswing of popularity for a few years, but then COVID happened and a bunch of people were stuck at home with nothing but their computer for company, and the kinda messy parasocial vibe a lot of vtubers have appealed to that need for human contact

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's actually kind of even funnier. The biggest vtuber company, Hololive, kind of happened by happy accident. They were intended to be an advertisement wing for their parent company Cover's motion capture tech, but the whole thing exploded (at first just in Japan) so much that the advertisement wing became the primary part of the company.

This spawned a lot of imitators both in the West and Japan. The whole thing just became a boom that'll likely settle within a few years.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

how much any given vtuber leans into their character gimmick tends to vary based on the streamer, but it's also pretty hard to draw a line where 'playing a character' differentiates from just 'performing for an audience', yknow? real life facecam streamers obviously play up certain aspects of their personalities while they're on-air, the anime avatar really just adds an extra layer of artifice to the process

but yeah COVID absolutely contributed to the initial boom as said above, and i feel like there's a couple more factors that made them really take off

1. because of the language barrier, youtube is absolutely flooded with short, easy-to-digest translated clips

2. a lot of the biggest vtubers (like Korone) belong to the same talent agency and do a ton of collaborations inside the agency, so if you get into one particular streamer you'll probably also discover a few more you also like based on the collabs

quote:

tbf it's a lot easier to stand out when you have a literal character design done by a professional artist vs. just your normal human face, im not sure its that cynical to say

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Vanderdeath posted:

I watched MB's Mushoku Tensei video and I will at least give him credit on repeatedly saying that the main character is genuinely awful

See, that's good. I stopped watching that one once he said the main character is, and I quote almost verbatim here, "technically not a pedophile anymore, for now" as a point in its favour.

I also stopped watching his video on the Horimiya anime once it became abundantly clear he wasn't going to address the way the source material repeatedly uses domestic abuse as a punch line.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there probably are good anime youtubers but they wouldn't have a large audience, because the larger you get, the more likely you are to be harassed by toxic anime fans if you didn't like one of their favorite shows

probably why the overwhelming majority of big anime youtubers are dudes as well

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Mother’s Basement is a lot more accepting of the really disgusting parts of anime culture than I’m comfortable watching. I hate when people (and let’s be honest a lot of goons do this) yell about how anime is just for pedophiles and perverts, but goddamn there’s a gross undercurrent of anime fandom that thinks it’s okay to be pedophiles and perverts. Just look at how many wieners complain when a work translates “lolicon” as “pedophile”

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Well you also don't get popular if you don't talk almost solely about popular shows. Like the reason MB calling MT true art is funny isn't because he likes a trashy fantasy thing, it's because he was one of the guys who was basically mauler for SAO.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The good anime youtuber is Kenny Lauderdale

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pants Donkey posted:

Coronavirus lockdowns were the explosion point

Edit: I should reload threads more often

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 27, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I think I'd be more forgiving of the vtuber craze if every single time somebody tried to demonstrate a good vtuber moment to me it wasn't some painfully unfunny bullshit

if I never see that little shark girl again it'll be too soon

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gura rules actually.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's accessible by not bogging you down with terminology like sakuga or chūnibyō when you have applicable terms like "animation good" and "delusional teenager"

Those aren't quite the same thing though. You can't really use "sakuga" for, say, a western cartoon because their animation quality is more or less consistent while anime's tends to vary wildly due to budget constraints and tight schedules and so forth. Similarly, chuunibyou refers to a specific type of delusional teenager, one who thinks they're an anime or videogame badass.