Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that lightbulb brainteaser is quite a well known one too so good job on all the false positives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
What false positives? We are just making sure the candidates had upbringing similar to ours.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
But if you waited for the lightbulb to get hot, it would take longer than the trip back and forth, or worse, the trip to go get a second lightbulb.

And speaking of false positives, what about false negatives where you didn't let the bulb heat enough, or false positives where you didn't let it cool enough after switching from a hot socket and doing another trip? What's your "this feels warm" threshold here?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

TimWinter posted:

But if you waited for the lightbulb to get hot, it would take longer than the trip back and forth, or worse, the trip to go get a second lightbulb.

And speaking of false positives, what about false negatives where you didn't let the bulb heat enough, or false positives where you didn't let it cool enough after switching from a hot socket and doing another trip? What's your "this feels warm" threshold here?

candidate has a bad attitude, recommend against hiring

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I ask a friend to stay in the light bulb room for a minute and then I phone them.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
showed up for new job and the manager that hired me has moved on to another team, new manager seems completely inept, the team is so awkward they cant even tell me their names... at least the checks dont bounce

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

barkbell posted:

showed up for new job and the manager that hired me has moved on to another team, new manager seems completely inept, the team is so awkward they cant even tell me their names... at least the checks dont bounce

You log on to the first video call, everyone shows up looking like

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I think I am going to be given an offer in about an hour. Little nervous about what they are going to offer salarywise but I am rather confident that they will make an offer I can accept. Then the trick will be finding out how the REALLY work.

I just suck at negotiations and doing for myself but I want to be better.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

syntaxrigger posted:

I think I am going to be given an offer in about an hour. Little nervous about what they are going to offer salarywise but I am rather confident that they will make an offer I can accept. Then the trick will be finding out how the REALLY work.

I just suck at negotiations and doing for myself but I want to be better.

Whatever number they give you, ask for more money. It won't cost you the job-offer, even if they say no.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 28, 2021

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Poopernickel posted:

Whatever number they give you, ask for more money. It won't cost you the job-offer, even if they say no.

I am going to try this even though it feels super uncomfortable.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Here are some things I've used in the past, which have worked for me:

- Offer to take less RSUs in exchange for higher base salary (I asked for 10% higher salary in exchange for 15% less RSUs, banking on the bet that they won't go public any time soon)

- Say something like "the higher salary helps make this decision a slam-dunk vs my current job", or "the higher salary will help offset the cost-of-living difference" (if you're moving)

- If they won't budge on salary, see if you can get a hiring bonus. Even if a company can't offer you the salary you want, they might be willing to throw in a 10% sign-on bonus or something.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 28, 2021

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
One thing to be sure about - don't put yourself into an ultimatum situation.

If they say "Unfortunately you're at the top of our salary range" or something like that, respond with "no problem, I understand. Give me a few days to think about it".

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Remember, nobody's at fault in a negotiation like that. The company's goal is to hire you as cheaply as possible. Your goal is to make lots of money. Both positions are understandable, and nobody's in the wrong during a good-faith salary negotiation.

Also remember: don't be afraid to act like you're the attractive one. If they offer you a job, it means they're interested. Which means you benefit from slow-playing things a bit, to build anticipation.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 28, 2021

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Poopernickel posted:

Here are some things I've used in the past, which have worked for me:

- Offer to take less RSUs in exchange for higher base salary (I asked for 10% higher salary in exchange for 15% less RSUs, banking on the bet that they won't go public any time soon)

- Say something like "the higher salary helps make this decision a slam-dunk vs my current job", or "the higher salary will help offset the cost-of-living difference" (if you're moving)

- If they won't budge on salary, see if you can get a hiring bonus. Even if a company can't offer you the salary you want, they might be willing to throw in a 10% sign-on bonus or something.

Poopernickel posted:

One thing to be sure about - don't put yourself into an ultimatum situation.

If they say "Unfortunately you're at the top of our salary range" or something like that, respond with "no problem, I understand. Give me a few days to think about it".

my girlfriend recently did all of this on an offer that was just slightly under her current salary (after a decent bump this year) and a worse bonus and worse benefits, and they refused to budge at all/negotiate

she wants to leave the current place but stood firm and politely declined (i.e. "I'd love to take the job if you can meet me half way, but if not I wont be able to accept") and they just gave up

two weeks later the position is listed as hiring again on LinkedIn, loving idiots couldn't come up a few grand/year and now they're approaching month 3 of the position not being filled, i guess it says more about them

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

drat. So when they initially called I was unprepared and a dummy and gave them a range of 115k to 125k. I was able to tell them that I misspoke and I'd really feel comfortable with 135k and she was like "yeah I can't do that" and my heart sank

Then she was like you are pretty under the market rate so our offer is 140k with a 10% bonus

:psyboom:

Ask me about undervaluing yourself i guess. Thanks for all the advice.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol talk about the opposite of a red flag. grats on finding one of the few good ones. now punch yourself in the dick a few times for ‘giving a range’ which is the most amateur mistake you can make

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

lol talk about the opposite of a red flag. grats on finding one of the few good ones. now punch yourself in the dick a few times for ‘giving a range’ which is the most amateur mistake you can make

no poo poo right! I feel like I have certainly learned my lesson now.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

syntaxrigger posted:

drat. So when they initially called I was unprepared and a dummy and gave them a range of 115k to 125k. I was able to tell them that I misspoke and I'd really feel comfortable with 135k and she was like "yeah I can't do that" and my heart sank

Then she was like you are pretty under the market rate so our offer is 140k with a 10% bonus

:psyboom:

Ask me about undervaluing yourself i guess. Thanks for all the advice.
total grats on the figgies, i’m glad they didn’t hose you

and add another story to the “never say a number” board

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fourwood posted:

at minimum it is a hard rule that you never interrupt people about to tell you a number to say another number.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

actually, second really hard rule: if you do have to say a number, don't make it a loving *range*. you are allowed to leave it as understood that you'll accept infinity figgies if it comes to that.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
this is making me ask for opinions on how i handled getting my most recent job: i was getting recruited by someone who already knew me and i was already at a job i liked, so when they initially asked for comp expectations i said something like “i need to know you can offer me $x to even begin the conversation but i don’t yet know how much would make me actually say ‘yes’.” was that reasonable or did i gently caress up? unfortunately i don’t remember what $x actually was so i can’t evaluate my strategy retroactively lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

raminasi posted:

this is making me ask for opinions on how i handled getting my most recent job: i was getting recruited by someone who already knew me and i was already at a job i liked, so when they initially asked for comp expectations i said something like “i need to know you can offer me $x to even begin the conversation but i don’t yet know how much would make me actually say ‘yes’.” was that reasonable or did i gently caress up? unfortunately i don’t remember what $x actually was so i can’t evaluate my strategy retroactively lol

general rule of thumb: if you have to ask if you hosed up by saying a number then you hosed up. anchoring early is a legitimate strategy in negotiations but it's also a deliberate strategy that implies you have a lot of information at your disposal

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
anyone with any questions in this area should make a point of swinging by the negotiations thread in BFC

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

fourwood posted:

Agreed and thanks.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

raminasi posted:

i think it's fine. i do this all the time when people reach out with jobs i'm maybe interested in but don't want to invest 10 hours in before getting an offer. i know a lot of people and bug them all the time about their comp so i'm pretty confident in what i'm worth on the open market though. if it was for a role where i was less certain about my worth i'd probably ask them for a salary band instead

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

the talent deficit posted:

i think it's fine. i do this all the time when people reach out with jobs i'm maybe interested in but don't want to invest 10 hours in before getting an offer. i know a lot of people and bug them all the time about their comp so i'm pretty confident in what i'm worth on the open market though. if it was for a role where i was less certain about my worth i'd probably ask them for a salary band instead

Right

you're in the "has lots of information" group and therefore don't need to ask if you hosed up giving a number

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I know what you're *supposed* to say, but why is it even such a sin to not claim to be the hero and lead architect of every product you've ever touched at a job? The senior dev I was talking to would absolutely not approve of me coming in and upending his years of work yet I'm expected to have razed and rebuilt every piece of infrastructure at other companies.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
They're just following the industry standard and making sure only insufferable pricks fill architect roles.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Steve Jorbs posted:

I know what you're *supposed* to say, but why is it even such a sin to not claim to be the hero and lead architect of every product you've ever touched at a job? The senior dev I was talking to would absolutely not approve of me coming in and upending his years of work yet I'm expected to have razed and rebuilt every piece of infrastructure at other companies.

you gotta demonstrate you were trusted with responsibility at $lastjob

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Steve Jorbs posted:

only insufferable pricks hire for these roles and alas such it’s self selection for pricks

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Got a new kind of recruiter email today, she attached her headshot to the message

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
HOT SINGLE RECRUITERS HOPE THIS EMAIL FINDS YOU WELL IN YOUR AREA

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That probably works to an extremely distressing degree.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its why korean peeps get plastic surgery, headshot is standard in all resumes there

my buddys aunt just gets her headshots professionally shopped, prolly healthier

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PokeJoe posted:

Got a new kind of recruiter email today, she attached her headshot to the message

accuse her of aimbotting

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The email itself is borderline horny

quote:

We were looking for you for so long.
Actually, for a Senior Mobile Engineer, but it all fits together here:) At least your experience as a Senior Software Development Engineer at $company says exactly that.

Let's drop the foreplay.

[job description]

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i dunno what foreplay means in your corner of the world but thats just a horny rear end recruiter thing

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Borderline?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

The email itself is borderline horny

machine translation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Now I don't feel bad about my first draft of my joke, which I rejected:

Dear Penthouse,

I never hoped this email would find me well…