Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Scikar posted:

not every request needs to pass a court of inquiry before you start working on it.

I kinda disagree here. You should really know why you're working on whatever you're working on if you want to get the best result in the least amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Oh yeah that's the absolute worst question. There's really not a right answer. I got lucky that my current employer didn't take advantage of me since I answered super low.

What sucks is that I really liked their product, but they threw that question and "since we're working remotely at the moment bear in mind that we (ever heard of Gitlab? we based our idea on theirs, proven concept, very solid and fair) do compensation multipliers based on where each employee is located so... [you're gonna get shafted]"

It's a bummer but I'm being optimistic and hoping they a) give me an offer and b) it's a good one. Job sounded pretty cool.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

marumaru posted:

What sucks is that I really liked their product, but they threw that question and "since we're working remotely at the moment bear in mind that we (ever heard of Gitlab? we based our idea on theirs, proven concept, very solid and fair) do compensation multipliers based on where each employee is located so... [you're gonna get shafted]"

It's a bummer but I'm being optimistic and hoping they a) give me an offer and b) it's a good one. Job sounded pretty cool.

just tell them you're moving to NYC.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Protocol7 posted:

How do you approach people who are never specific with what they want?

For example, working on processing some data right now. I put together a script that checks a spreadsheet for some specific conditions, and writes down the affected row IDs into a separate text file.

This is exactly what was asked. Verbatim, I was asked "Can we start with a list of Record IDs that [meet some criteria]?"

So I produce a text file where each line is a Record ID that meets the specified criteria.

They immediately pop back "Great, can we filter the original spreadsheet on these Record IDs now?"

We could have skipped the whole churn cycle if they just said that's what they wanted from the start.

I usually ask something like "what are you trying to do?" in situations like these, especially if I don't understand the end goal.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

prom candy posted:

just tell them you're moving to NYC.

Incorporate yourself in San Francisco.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

prom candy posted:

I kinda disagree here. You should really know why you're working on whatever you're working on if you want to get the best result in the least amount of time.

I agree with that, and failing to make sure people have context for the things they're working on is poor management, wasting time as shown in the spreadsheet thing. I just mean that reflexively questioning everything you're asked to do can also look like you're just trying to avoid the work, even if it helps at first. If there's a lack of clear communication in general, then that's a higher level problem and needs to be brought up and fixed at the source. In a healthy team, your colleagues won't mind you asking questions, but also in a healthy team, they'll probably give you more context up front so you don't need to ask so much.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Scikar posted:

I just mean that reflexively questioning everything you're asked to do can also look like you're just trying to avoid the work

I very much am trying to avoid the work.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Our NYC office is starting to talk about rescinding universal work from home after this summer. You wouldn’t have to come in to the office every day but you would have to live in the area.

I’m curious to see how many people we lose. Some people have been living out of the area for almost a year now and seem to be enjoying it. And our new hires from last summer never moved to the city and with a year of experience under their belt might find it more attractive to just work somewhere local or full time virtual.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I want my butts in chairs dammit and I’m gonna get it!!! If we don’t have butts in chairs why did we buy all these chairs!!!!!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

More seriously, I 100% expected companies to be extremely conservative on WFH as COVID progressed, and I’m not surprised that they’re trying to Go Back To Normal. But at my place, a lot of people have moved out of state (or just outright left), and we’ve got international offices now, so who knows if we’re even gonna keep our local place.

I still don’t trust companies to support anything other than butts in chairs. They’re too greedy/want people to suffer like G did.

I would love to both work in tech with a competitive salary and not live somewhere with a relatively large CoL. I guess COVID was the chance to do that, if not for the “avoid other people” thing precluding moving.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 26, 2021

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Pollyanna posted:

I want my butts in chairs dammit and I’m gonna get it!!! If we don’t have butts in chairs why did we buy all these chairs!!!!!

Ten years ago, my company wanted to move to a new, cheaper office, and relocate everyone from the northeast to somewhere south in the united states. They said that everyone who didn't take the relocation offer was going to get laid off eventually. The offer was actually pretty good and promised bonuses and relocation expenses etc.

About 80% of the development organization didn't want to move and didn't take the offer. The company had to rethink its plans because it couldn't lose 80% of its developers, and most of them ended up as work-from-home full time.

So essentially, if there's a change that sucks, just wait it out and do nothing. You can't get fired for cause by not relocating (unless relocation was a condition of your initial employment) - absolute worst case, you get laid off, paid unemployment and a perfect excuse to switch jobs.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think we'll see a snapback to some degree but the seeds are sown for remote working and at least everyone has experienced it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've seen enough opinions online that I know a lot of people do want to go back to the office. And I even agree with some of their arguments, I do miss just shooting the poo poo with like-minded coworkers.

That said, I still prefer remote work, and I'm hopeful that enough people will voluntarily return to office work so that those of us who still prefer remote work get to stay remote.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just had a wfh confrontation today.

We had an infection in the shared office space we use so worked from home last week.
We all tested negative so they forced us back into office this week.

I refused and stayed wfh.

Forced the issue and I got wfh for myself at least. And also most likely an express ticket to the chopping block.

But as one of 3 devs and a key one at that I had the leverage and used it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My company has always been full time remote and I'm hoping we can snag a really good developer that got a taste of WFH and then got told to come back to the office as our next hire.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I sometimes miss watercooler chatting but literally nothing else.
You'd have to pay me a lot of money to convince me to sit in a cubicle (or god forbid, an open plan office) again. I'm never subjecting myself to 3 hours of commute a day again.

e: somewhat related, I'm having a hard time finding a good front-end developer job posting (and getting an interview). I really want to specialize in front-end development but almost everyone wants a full-stack developer, more often than not working with Ruby, PHP or Java. :saddowns:

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
My company at least did a backflip and offered full-time, permanent remote as an option for many roles (and all of engineering) pretty early on in the pandemic.

It's a manager rubber-stamp now to change over, and easy enough for me since there aren't pay implications.

So I'm gonna take it and at least be able to do a cross country move one time in my life without having to deal with changing jobs too.

Seems very possible that the policy of being able to decide you're remote at a whim changes at some point but I think they'll have a hard time telling people they have to move back if they want to keep their jobs.

I'm wary of parts of it but I don't think I'll have to explicitly choose between my job and moving back here in three months.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I just wish they would give us a definite answer one way or another. Coming up on the end of my lease and if we're going back to the office I'm moving closer.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Well, Basecamp just stepped in it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My company still hasn't said anything about it, but I know plenty of people have moved out of state. We even recently hired one out-of-state dev even though the official policy is no remote work. I know a lot of my coworkers with kids want to go back to the office but I definitely want to stay home. It's so convenient and comfortable and I miss literally nothing about the office besides the absurdly good office gym. I'm really curious how management is going to play this.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

dantheman650 posted:

I'm really curious how management is going to play this.

Historically, the answer to this would be 'poorly'. Probably depends on how boomer the management is though.

We have a ton of people who just moved and have told the powers that be that 'I live in Canada now and will not be returning to the office. Do with that information what you will.'

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

My company already hired remote workers before the pandemic but working in the office is now optional for everyone, permanently. They are just starting to talk about opening the office at all now that people are getting vaccinated. It feels pretty good to work for a company that treats people decently, for once.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Riven posted:

Well, Basecamp just stepped in it.

Reaction is very negative isn't it?

Idk I think it fits them. Avoiding complication wherever possible and drawing strong work and life boundaries. This is def the less attractive expression of that principle.

ending all the incentive programs for profit sharing is a good move. Treat people like adults.

Less analysis paralysis and Monday morning quarterbacking seems good too. Although idk how you really make that happen though.

Many people can't just "opt out" of the conversations around race and gender so that came across as a little entitled white guy to me. I'm surprised it's an issue given their size and big emphasis on culture.

Committee thing ... Idk kind of a whatever to me. It might mean more inside the company for how stuff gets done.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
They're doing like 90% good things and managed to botch announcing it so badly that they still look like assholes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Didn’t some other company do the same thing and then it turned out all the minorities left because “don’t talk about social injustice at work” isn’t actually a neutral position.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

marumaru posted:

I sometimes miss watercooler chatting but literally nothing else.
You'd have to pay me a lot of money to convince me to sit in a cubicle (or god forbid, an open plan office) again. I'm never subjecting myself to 3 hours of commute a day again.

e: somewhat related, I'm having a hard time finding a good front-end developer job posting (and getting an interview). I really want to specialize in front-end development but almost everyone wants a full-stack developer, more often than not working with Ruby, PHP or Java. :saddowns:

You pretty much can't look anywhere except for companies large enough to have dedicated front end people, unfortunately. You may need to learn enough backend stuff to get your foot in the door, then pivot once you're there.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

smackfu posted:

Didn’t some other company do the same thing and then it turned out all the minorities left because “don’t talk about social injustice at work” isn’t actually a neutral position.
Yeah, Coinbase.

“Don’t talk about politics and social issues at work unless they relate to work” is all fine and good* until you hit the politics and social issues that the employees think definitely relate to work but surprise surprise, management somehow doesn’t seem to think so!

* it’s actually not fine and good

e:

Xguard86 posted:

Many people can't just "opt out" of the conversations around race and gender
Yeah it’s basically this.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Basecamp post seems fine? Political discussions are poo poo at work Above posters make a good point that they are super hard to avoid and this probably deserves some scrutiny, but the intent seems good if pretty badly misguided. I've always thought kid-benefits were loving dumb (bias as a gay guy with no interesting in adoption) and I think similarly of most 'external' benefits - I'd rather just see the cost in my check. Committees almost always suck. #4 requires more context. Mandatory inter-team reviews never work. #6 seems fine.

The way they presented it was kinda 'eh', but the ideas here seem totally fine.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I've always thought kid-benefits were loving dumb (bias as a gay guy with no interesting in adoption)

Ah, the "if it's not valuable to me then it shouldn't be valuable to anyone" approach

E: that's basically everyone's objection to that Basecamp blog post. It's "this thing isn't valuable to me so it shouldn't exist" when the working world (and really the world in general) doesn't work that way. It's an intensely privileged approach and I'm glad they're getting absolutely roasted for it.

Blinkz0rz fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 27, 2021

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Volmarias posted:

You pretty much can't look anywhere except for companies large enough to have dedicated front end people, unfortunately. You may need to learn enough backend stuff to get your foot in the door, then pivot once you're there.

I unfortunately have been a Full Stack Developer™ for a good, long while now. It actually got to a point where I was pretty much doing exclusively backend in a pretty bad, old, "documentation? lol" product and had to reach out to the higher ups and ask for a position that actually had front-end work.

But yeah, that really seems to be the case. Kinda blows for me.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blinkz0rz posted:

Ah, the "if it's not valuable to me then it shouldn't be valuable to anyone" approach

E: that's basically everyone's objection to that Basecamp blog post. It's "this thing isn't valuable to me so it shouldn't exist" when the working world (and really the world in general) doesn't work that way. It's an intensely privileged approach and I'm glad they're getting absolutely roasted for it.

There certainly is at least of streak of that in my view of this, but it's much more of my belief that I'd rather just see said benefits as part of direct comp. It's like getting an Amazon Gift Card for as a gift, when you could just give me cash... Just give me cash. I use our fitness and some other fringe benefits, but I feel the same way about those: Just don't and instead of just put the cost into my check.

Kid benefits also rub me the wrong way because the benefit is frequently huge and the world does not need more kids.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 27, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I like living in a country where parental leave is just the law because then I don't have to feel like I'm leaving part of my compensation on the table by not having kids.

That said I'm gonna need other people's kids to wipe my rear end when I'm old so I'm fine with anyone who wants to have them.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

YanniRotten posted:

My company at least did a backflip and offered full-time, permanent remote as an option for many roles (and all of engineering) pretty early on in the pandemic.

It's a manager rubber-stamp now to change over, and easy enough for me since there aren't pay implications.

So I'm gonna take it and at least be able to do a cross country move one time in my life without having to deal with changing jobs too.

Seems very possible that the policy of being able to decide you're remote at a whim changes at some point but I think they'll have a hard time telling people they have to move back if they want to keep their jobs.

I'm wary of parts of it but I don't think I'll have to explicitly choose between my job and moving back here in three months.

I wish this was the case at my current position - every one of my colleagues is basically chomping at the bit to get back into the office ASAP - enough so that every time the corona restrictions relax at all - most of them flood back in, and some of them are still going in even with strict "Don't go to offices unless you absolutely have no other choice" rules in place.

In discussions with management about it, the attitude has tended to focus on how when some of the team isn't in office, they tend to get completely excluded from any sort of conversation or decision making processes (which is true) - or that it hinders ad-hoc communication (also true, since the team is full of people who refuse to use Slack, and instead use daily video-call standup as their one and only opportunity to communicate with each other, which means it stretches to 45 minutes most days while 2 people discuss esoteric things while 14 others pretend to not be on their phones).

And, clearly, management thinks the problem is *not being in office* rather than dysfunctional management.

Bonus points: Last week in a meeting they cited _ReWork_ as a great book about software development. You know the one - the one that says offices are dumb and managers are dead weight.

I'm mostly certain they're serious - but I can't help but have a nagging fairy on the shoulder making me feel like this is all some very, very long gaslighting prank.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
My company wants people back in the office. "We're an office culture," says the CEO. This despite:

- having multiple offices spread across the country that work together constantly via slack and zoom
- having hired people during the pandemic that are not within 500 miles of any of said offices
- having hired so many people that at least two of the offices do not have the physical capacity to hold the new population
- the obvious: the year of success and productivity from hundreds of 100% full remote employees

What's amusing to me is that they've started complaining about how hard a time they're having finding good people to hire. "We pay competitively" they say, which is true, for the area. What they don't do is offer competitive benefits, one of which is now, for many many people, a full time remote option. Not that I've looked, but I also imagine that some of those companies aren't IN this area, and may offer even better salaries - the competition is no longer simply in the immediate region.

I personally prefer to be in the office for the majority of the time, I like the casual conversation with my team and the ability to bounce ideas off people without forcing them into a zoom call, as lightweight as those are. And it helps me switch into work mode. But I moved to this city so I could be employable with good pay, and if I can leave, move somewhere quieter, and keep something close to my current compensation, I'd be extremely tempted. Again, not sure if I'm reading this situation right, I'm simply doing some logical guesswork.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Hmm I get what the basecamp post means. It can actually be pretty awkward if you’re, say, female and the minute anyone starts talking about certain issues everyone’s head swivels over to you because you’re the only one in the room. And you can’t give your actual opinion, you must give the socially acceptable minority opinion or everyone will look at you like you just trampled an orphan in front of them.

Of course it’s also going to be tough to enforce. Is talking about your gay marriage political? Is it political to talk about how you left your last company because they didn’t have any women in leadership positions? I sympathise with what they want to do but I feel Iike they’re setting themselves up for a really dumb lawsuit somewhere down the line

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just fixed a bug that stumped me for like a whole day because we were using asynchronous package/module-level state for data that needed to be different from function call to function call. As soon as I got to testing that part of the code, I immediately realized the issue. It was implemented by someone who is supposedly more learned and familiar with both the language and software dev in general than I am, and yet they didn’t anticipate this exact problem.

And then they proceeded to act like they had a eureka moment when I showed them the problem, and restated exactly what I just told them as if they figured it out themselves.

:ughh:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Just fixed a bug that stumped me for like a whole day because we were using asynchronous package/module-level state for data that needed to be different from function call to function call. As soon as I got to testing that part of the code, I immediately realized the issue. It was implemented by someone who is supposedly more learned and familiar with both the language and software dev in general than I am, and yet they didn’t anticipate this exact problem.

And then they proceeded to act like they had a eureka moment when I showed them the problem, and restated exactly what I just told them as if they figured it out themselves.

:ughh:

Female Developer.txt?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t want to say it, but hahahaha I lied yes I do.

Unrelated(?), this job has been bleeding employees recently. Considering looking for better pastures if I can find a place that both supports remote work and pays better.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Jason fried put out a follow up. Not backing down an inch.

Idk either they're leading the way or are pissing away a lot of the brand equity they've built. They're such great marketers it's really kind of surprising to see this spiral so far. Like someone above said: it's mostly good change with one kind of blind spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What does basecamp actually do?