Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Also I loved the description about the Batarians getting wasted and losing communications and "an eerie silence that has persisted ever since."

Edit: sorry,
"The planet's comm buoys were destroyed next, creating an ominous silence that has persisted ever since."

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nichael posted:

It's so weird that the trilogy's final game has the protagonist on trial for genocide, and then that's forgotten about in five minutes. And the genocide happens in an optional DLC for the previous game, that is also the worst DLC for that game.

Yeah I was a bit confused when I started ME3 because I somehow missed playing the Arrival in ME2 and it turns out that was kind of important to the story

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Nichael posted:

It's so weird that the trilogy's final game has the protagonist on trial for genocide, and then that's forgotten about in five minutes. And the genocide happens in an optional DLC for the previous game, that is also the worst DLC for that game.
I'd argue that Firewalker was worse, but I suppose that's kind of a bad comparison to make. Even so, I think Arrival wasn't bad at all - just underwhelming after Overlord and SotB and more generally for something that cost, what, 11 bucks? Great atmos and soundtrack, though. And the semi-secret bad ending was a neat touch.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Firewalker sucks

Even Cortez and Vega agree

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Also I loved the description about the Batarians getting wasted and losing communications and "an eerie silence that has persisted ever since."

Edit: sorry,
"The planet's comm buoys were destroyed next, creating an ominous silence that has persisted ever since."

Batarians are prolific posters

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I was a bit confused when I started ME3 because I somehow missed playing the Arrival in ME2 and it turns out that was kind of important to the story
Aren't you going on trial for being a part of Cerebus if you didn't play Arrival, and there's no mention whatsoever of Arrival's events?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

goblin week posted:

Batarians are prolific posters

I did enjoy the depiction of the survivors as wwii-era Space Poles

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah the opening parts I hated were the whole court/council thing which fell incredibly flat, and the stupid loving kid which went on to... you know. The actual reaper attack was appropriately horrifying but almost too much so given that you then gently caress off for the next indeterminate amount of time to get some allies and frankly earth should have just been flat out gone. Definitely enough humans out in space to have the species go on if the number of human mercenaries I wasted on generic planets in ME1 is any indication. Mass Effect 3 does a really weird thing where it somehow pulls most of its punches but also wants to be exceedingly grim in certain moments and it just doesn't work for me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Hammerhead would be good in a game where enemies could actually miss.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Polaron posted:

Tech armor.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Correction:

exploding tech armor

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

the only good part of me3 was tuchanka

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Shepard is grounded/being held in bureaucratic custody either because of the events of Arrival, or because of "the poo poo you've done" - which I suppose is joining Cerberus, but the game doesn't really say

the hearing Shepard and Anderson go to at the beginning is the defence committee, and they bring Shepard there so Shep can tell them what's going on with this whole alien invasion thing

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sankara posted:

the only good part of me3 was tuchanka

The intro is hecking rad

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lt. Danger posted:

Shepard is grounded/being held in bureaucratic custody either because of the events of Arrival, or because of "the poo poo you've done" - which I suppose is joining Cerberus, but the game doesn't really say

the hearing Shepard and Anderson go to at the beginning is the defence committee, and they bring Shepard there so Shep can tell them what's going on with this whole alien invasion thing

Probably by not grounding the only person who's been proactive about stopping the alien invasion for several years for roughly 6 months or whatever the timeline between me2 and 3 is. I get what they wanted to do but it just came across as extremely stupid and poorly written.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Grunts mission is good too

So is Grissom academy

Hell itt ME3 is good actually

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Sombrerotron posted:

Maybe it's not all as memorable as ME2 generally is, but I hardly feel it deserves to be labelled as terrible.

The biggest problem for me isn't even the plot points, it's that so much of your dialog is not your choice to make. And when you do get a choice, it's down from 4 or 5 options to two, and usually those two are functionally identical.

It's such a huge departure from how the conversations in ME1 and ME2 worked that it feels incredibly jarring, especially right after playing ME2. I don't remember disliking the opening nearly as much the first time I played it (when I hadn't played any ME for months) as opposed to the last time I played it (when I went right from ME2 to ME3) and the change really hurts one of the core loops of gameplay. So yeah, it's pretty terrible.

You also feel really on a rail for much longer than it seems like you were in the first two games. Even when you were on a rail before, you at least had the time to explore your ship, meander a bit, chose who is coming with you on missions or talk to people in between missions, and ME3 just forces you from one thing to another without a chance to breathe until after Palavan. I mean, it does get better, but it is NOT a good start.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I've played through ME1 and 2 a ton of times but never managed to make it through 3. I've tried a bunch of times and even gotten all the way through Tuchanka but it just never clicked. The whole thing with EDI and Kai Leng just...takes me out of it completely. I look forward to trying it again in the remaster at least, my first playthrough will be a minimal effort FailShep so maybe I'll make it through.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lt. Danger posted:

The original idea was to straight up open ME3 with Shepard on trial for their actions throughout the previous two games.

It was dropped for fears that it would alienate players who only started the series with 3.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Turn your brain off and enjoy the fully sick explosions

I absolutely loved my recent playthrough of it because I was just ignoring everything that was dumb and biotic sploding everything else

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

ashpanash posted:

The biggest problem for me isn't even the plot points, it's that so much of your dialog is not your choice to make. And when you do get a choice, it's down from 4 or 5 options to two, and usually those two are functionally identical.

It's such a huge departure from how the conversations in ME1 and ME2 worked that it feels incredibly jarring, especially right after playing ME2. I don't remember disliking the opening nearly as much the first time I played it (when I hadn't played any ME for months) as opposed to the last time I played it (when I went right from ME2 to ME3) and the change really hurts one of the core loops of gameplay. So yeah, it's pretty terrible.

You also feel really on a rail for much longer than it seems like you were in the first two games. Even when you were on a rail before, you at least had the time to explore your ship, meander a bit, chose who is coming with you on missions or talk to people in between missions, and ME3 just forces you from one thing to another without a chance to breathe until after Palavan. I mean, it does get better, but it is NOT a good start.
This I do agree with - I remember how strange it felt that suddenly Shepard would automatically reply to someone during otherwise regular dialogue bits. That wasn't a good evolution, to be sure. I also get what you're saying about it feeling a lot more on rails and lacking in moments to take a breather. Still wouldn't call the whole experience terrible myself, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Turn your brain off and enjoy the fully sick explosions

I absolutely loved my recent playthrough of it because I was just ignoring everything that was dumb and biotic sploding everything else

I can't turn my brain off because so much of the rest of the series turns my brain on.

Here and there some good writing and ideas shine through, but everything's orbiting a poorly-conceived central plot.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

a trial would also really slow down the first hour of the game with stakes that would immediately be negated by the invasion. Bioware perhaps could have made it work if they had more time to polish and revise but, uh

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can't turn my brain off because so much of the rest of the series turns my brain on.

Here and there some good writing and ideas shine through, but everything's orbiting a poorly-conceived central plot.

I feel like the central issue to Mass Effect's story as a whole is there was never going to be a satisfying answer to the "why" of the Reapers. They work great as a completely alien enigma whose motivations cannot possibly be understood, but you can't really do a whole trilogy without at least attempting to provide some form of answers. This is probably why just taking it as a stand-alone thing the first game's story works the best, because that is basically the role they play in that plot.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Honestly I think you can do the whole trilogy without understanding their motivation. They work best when it's just straight up "Reapers gonna reap." The Leviathan kinda makes clear that whatever they were originally, this is what they are now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lt. Danger posted:

a trial would also really slow down the first hour of the game with stakes that would immediately be negated by the invasion. Bioware perhaps could have made it work if they had more time to polish and revise but, uh

The point of a trial would be as a "previously on Mass Effect" sequence for people new to the game series. Or people that just played ME2 once at release or something.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The trial feels like it could have been a great way to recap the games and to let players who started with 3 make some choices by answering the questions.

Also the reapers should never have been explained and just stayed space mechacthulhu. Reapers gonna reap.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

The trial feels like it could have been a great way to recap the games and to let players who started with 3 make some choices by answering the questions.

People who started at 3 would have just played Genesis for that.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

ME3 should ansolutely have been a space detective/spy/archaeologist setup like the previous games that starts with the Batarian nation going dark.

The citadel is used to turn off relays that have fallen to the reapers and there's just an increasingly terrifying fog of war, not big baddies that everyone goes up against with railguns.

The gosh durn politicians aren't unwilling to fight because they're morons but because they're terrified of attracting attention.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
One of the aesthetic bits about the ME3 intro that bugged me is how the Reapers land with zero drag or drama or heat from the atmospheric entry, just...an impossibly smooth glide on ice skates. When Sovereign moves in on the Citadel towards the end of ME1, it moves slowly and deliberately. Its actions in the background as you're running along the exterior are similarly slow. They're big and heavy. They have impact.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Strategic Tea posted:

ME3 should ansolutely have been a space detective/spy/archaeologist setup like the previous games that starts with the Batarian nation going dark.

The citadel is used to turn off relays that have fallen to the reapers and there's just an increasingly terrifying fog of war, not big baddies that everyone goes up against with railguns.

The gosh durn politicians aren't unwilling to fight because they're morons but because they're terrified of attracting attention.

I was gonna post something like this

you could have a mission in a system that's being/about to be invaded, so there's a time limit (not really, just a sense of urgency in the dialogue etc.) and then a sequence where the normandy gets out juuust in time

or an obvious spectre terminal dilemma- there is only so much time before a relay shuts off, should they prioritize evacuating civilians, or military?

and if you really wanna be cool, partway through there's a change up where the reapers seize the citadel, and now you've got to figure out a way to activate the relays and distribute that to your allies.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
A lot of times goon ideas about games are embarrassing and kinda cringe (mine included, I'm sure) but like, I don't know that I've heard a single goon idea for ME3 that wasn't at least marginally better than what we got in the end. Strategic Tea's idea might be my favorite yet, and I am definitely nodding along with Mazerunner's follow-up.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like the central issue to Mass Effect's story as a whole is there was never going to be a satisfying answer to the "why" of the Reapers. They work great as a completely alien enigma whose motivations cannot possibly be understood, but you can't really do a whole trilogy without at least attempting to provide some form of answers. This is probably why just taking it as a stand-alone thing the first game's story works the best, because that is basically the role they play in that plot.

I would have respected the "why" of the Reapers a lot more if it was just as simple as "Cause gently caress You That's Why".

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

these are interesting ideas in their own ways but I'm not sure how well they fit with Mass Effect being a third-person shooter

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Lt. Danger posted:

these are interesting ideas in their own ways but I'm not sure how well they fit with Mass Effect being a third-person shooter

same way that negotiating between the Turians, Krogans and Salarians, and then making and distributing the genophage cure was, I guess

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah the invasion of earth felt like it was there for marketing. I've always felt the game should have started with Batarians space going dark and the Normandy being the only ship that could go investigate.

Turns out munching a warned and semi prepared galaxy takes resources so the reapers have indoctrinated the batarian leadership and have spent the past year building the empire into a machine prepared to wage total war. After Normandy scouts a bit you get pulled back because a Batarian fleet is attacking an alliance base. When Normandy arrives Shepard has to drop and help the marines hold until the a human fleet can relieve. The fleet arrives and it looks like the humans are winning and then boom, reaper destroys the human dreadnought and Normandy is the only ship to escape and warn the galaxy.

The reapers should build their forces by indoctrinating and repurposing existing personnel and resources. When the reaper forces arrive at Palaven it should be mostly Batarian ships with some indoctrinated human vessels, including some from the battle Normandy escaped. Actual reapers should rarely show up and be the flagships when they do. Which makes killing the reapers on Tuchanka and Rannoch feel more special.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My pet idea is an episodic post ME3 game where a human agricultural colonist ship crash lands on an uninhabited planet, makes the best of what they can for a few years, but then gets found by a makeshift council team trying to search out people who got lost following the relay explosions. Ok bye everyone

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lt. Danger posted:

I mean there wasn't anything in those 2 posts that prevent you from having the same gameplay, it's mostly criticism about the story structure and plotting and how it could have been more organically integrated with the gameplay element of side missions. Or at least that's how I read it.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

My pet idea is an episodic post ME3 game where a human agricultural colonist ship crash lands on an uninhabited planet, makes the best of what they can for a few years, but then gets found by a makeshift council team trying to search out people who got lost following the relay explosions. Ok bye everyone

So basically an entire game based around the concept of that Deep Space Nine episode where the fundie luddite lady tortures Sisko and he has to make a tough moral decision about what to do with the colony? Hell yeah I'm in

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 27, 2021

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

thrilla in vanilla posted:

there's an Alliance Daily News storyline where an asari scientist gets captured by humans who turn out to be from the year like 2080. They'd slowboated themselves to a star and had cryoslept on the way there and completely missed the opening of the relays and FTL. fun stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I'd play the opening of 3 over the opening of 2 any time, Earth escape and Mars both have more engaging things going on than the slow walk through the burning Normandy and the generic lab escape.