Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

The general non-evil position is that if Moderna just willy-nilly says "here's how you make our vaccine", you get a lot of poo poo-quality vaccines made in locations like Emergent that make everything worse.

On the other hand, Emergent was licensed to produce the vaccine and still hosed up. So I'm not so sure QA of product is a benefit of licensing.

A better "non-evil" position is something something without patents something stifling innovation something investing in vaccines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Defenestrategy posted:

On the other hand, Emergent was licensed to produce the vaccine and still hosed up. So I'm not so sure QA of product is a benefit of licensing.

The difference is other countries wouldn’t catch the gently caress up.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Adjustments to House and Electoral College seats as a result of the 2020 Census just dropped. (Thread)

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1386760522645835776

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That Works posted:

If SCOTUS ended up shifting every state to "shall issue" that would be nice and if it was universal reciprocity that would be even nicer.

Sure, there's no downside to more people walking around with pistols in their pockets.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah I don't know the solution right now, I just find the RELEASE THE PATENT THE COMPANIES ARE EVIL people moderately annoying. Even if they are / turn out to be right, the patented parts of the vaccines aren't the current bottleneck.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Adjustments to House and Electoral College seats as a result of the 2020 Census just dropped. (Thread)

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1386760522645835776

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1386763478657114118

Expected to be worse for Democrats than it turned out. NY juuuuust missed!

https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/1386764332218912769

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sure, there's no downside to more people walking around with pistols in their pockets.

Have you gone through a CCW process and do you know the difference between may and shall issue?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That Works posted:

Have you gone through a CCW process and do you know the difference between may and shall issue?

The difference is that with "may issue" just ticking the checkboxes isn't a guarantee to get a carry license, you have to demonstrate a reason to do so.

Shifting to "shall issue" would result in more people walking around with guns, that doesn't seem like a controversial statement.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The difference is that with "may issue" just ticking the checkboxes isn't a guarantee to get a carry license, you have to demonstrate a reason to do so.

Shifting to "shall issue" would result in more people walking around with guns, that doesn't seem like a controversial statement.

You think a process that still requires you to submit finger prints to your local sheriff or AG's office, have a notarized witness attesting to your character and have a criminal background check run is going to represent a risk for ownership?

CCW holders aren't typically carrying out gun involved crimes and the ambiguity with laws on CCW between states / inconsistent policies even between cities within states can be used as a way to push charges on people. How authorities decide who to apply charges to is an exercise for the reader.

e: Keeping up an inconsistent legal process that only stifles the ability of the law abiding to possess while opening up multiple avenues to turn someone into an unintentional lawbreaker is a terrible method of gun control.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That Works posted:

You think a process that still requires you to submit finger prints to your local sheriff or AG's office, have a notarized witness attesting to your character and have a criminal background check run is going to represent a risk for ownership?

Yes, someone carrying around a gun is more dangerous than someone not carrying around a gun. Even if they aren't out to murder someone, they can have an accident, are more likely to succesfully kill themselves, can lose the gun, and can misjudge when it is appropriate to shoot someone.

quote:

CCW holders aren't typically carrying out gun involved crimes and the ambiguity with laws on CCW between states / inconsistent policies even between cities within states can be used as a way to push charges on people. How authorities decide who to apply charges to is an exercise for the reader.

Then address those enforcement discrepancies directly. Making it easier to carry a gun in public in a country with a major gun safety problem is a step backwards.

Not going to carry on a gun debate, but the assumed ruling from the Supreme Court here is going to put more guns in public. What your take on that is your own I guess.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 26, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That Works posted:

e: Keeping up an inconsistent legal process that only stifles the ability of the law abiding to possess while opening up multiple avenues to turn someone into an unintentional lawbreaker is a terrible method of gun control.

If this ruling effectively turns every state into a shall-issue one, I’d be hoping to see some standardization of the process and nationwide reciprocity, which I think would involve a background check at minimum. Constitutional carry on a nationwide basis is problematic to me.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Speaking of the legal system, I missed linking this earlier:

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1386772005119307778

Can't really fault that logic.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

In more entertaining news straight out of a black mirror episode.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/russian-man-trapped-on-chinese-reality-tv-show-finally-voted-out

quote:

Mr Ivanov, who speaks fluent Mandarin, originally joined the show as a Chinese teacher.
But he said he was invited to sign on as a contestant after the directors noticed his good looks.
"They asked if I would like to try a new life," Mr Ivanov said during the show.
He appeared to regret his decision almost immediately, but could not leave without breaching his contract.
Performing under the stage name Lelush, he urged the public to vote him out, saying he did not want to be among the 11 winners of the show, who are contractually obliged to form a boy band.
"Don't love me, you'll get no results," he said on one episode.
But viewers took to his dour persona and kept him in the running for nearly three months.

This is him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-FZRFEGsB4

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

golden bubble posted:

In more entertaining news straight out of a black mirror episode.

lol, this guy looked so dead inside.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The law at issue in this case was not well-crafted, and while I disagree with the court that the only remedy was scrapping it, “killed the FTCs ability to go after judgements against scammers” makes it sound more sinister than it is.

Congress wrote a poo poo law in the nineties and they have utterly failed to pass appropriate statutes against phone fraud since.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Choose your rate, choose your fate

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

facialimpediment posted:

Expected to be worse for Democrats than it turned out. NY juuuuust missed!

https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/1386764332218912769

I'd imagine the DNC is already considering ways to alter/redistrict NY-14 to gently caress over AOC.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd imagine the DNC is already considering ways to alter/redistrict NY-14 to gently caress over AOC.

It's a weird perfect storm in AOC's favor though. Chuck Schumer is up in 2022, still wants to be Senate Majority Leader, and is *scared shitless* of a primary challenge by AOC or otherwise. Schumer won 70-27% in 2016, so his only worry is getting primaried. The maps are going to be determined by the NY Democratic Party (after they reject a commission's recommendations twice) and that machine's been leaking oil for the last few years. You also can't really chop up the Bronx to gently caress up her district very much.

So hell, I'd take the opposite view. They'll probably leave her district untouched to keep AOC happy and Schumer will go out and campaign with her if she wants. She'll be in Congress for as long as she wants and the DNC probably will think it's in their best interest to keep her in the House :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
AOC is the extreme left edge of the House, and the DNC is quite happy with that.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

facialimpediment posted:

It's a weird perfect storm in AOC's favor though. Chuck Schumer is up in 2022, still wants to be Senate Majority Leader, and is *scared shitless* of a primary challenge by AOC or otherwise. Schumer won 70-27% in 2016, so his only worry is getting primaried. The maps are going to be determined by the NY Democratic Party (after they reject a commission's recommendations twice) and that machine's been leaking oil for the last few years. You also can't really chop up the Bronx to gently caress up her district very much.

So hell, I'd take the opposite view. They'll probably leave her district untouched to keep AOC happy and Schumer will go out and campaign with her if she wants. She'll be in Congress for as long as she wants and the DNC probably will think it's in their best interest to keep her in the House :v:

Plus they could try and gently caress over an upstate republican by merging their districts.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Soylent Pudding posted:

Plus they could try and gently caress over an upstate republican by merging their districts.

Who do you think the DNC wants to gently caress over more? The progressive wing of their party or the opposition?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Flikken posted:

Who do you think the DNC wants to gently caress over more? The progressive wing of their party or the opposition?

changes from moment to moment

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its likely that the lost seat will be a GOP seat, so AOC is likely just fine.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1386764546220589057?s=19

https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1386811534790205442?s=19

Forts being named after people instead of their location will never not annoy me

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Tbh I hated the army enough that “I get to tell the army no” would’ve been pretty compelling.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

As someone who has to do a lot of anti-vax research for class purposes etc these reasons honestly are nowhere near as terrible as I was expecting and thinking from the lens of your average 18 year old I can empathize with a lot of them

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

I want to see the response they'd give for "I don't trust the government."

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

How is beer in America so cheap, a 12 pack of PBR a day is a 25 dollar a day habit in Ontario

Mind you a pack of darts is also around 12-15 bucks

:911:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If the DNC is so eager to gently caress over AOC why did they let Pelosi give her a prominent position on the Oversight Committee?

Seriously, this is a weird conspiracy theory I've seen no serious evidence (twitter doesn't count) for but keeps coming up.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 27, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's Old Style price in my old haunts in Illinois. Usually Busch too, because water beer is always at war with prices.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If the DNC is so eager to gently caress over AOC why did they let Pelosi give her a prominent position on the Oversight Committee?

Seriously, this is a weird conspiracy theory I've seen no evidence for but keeps coming uip.

Both the far left and far right like to paint AOC as the radical leftist firebrand nonstop throwing molotovs. But when on capital hill she's careful about picking battles and otherwise is a dutiful party member who goes along to get along. At least according to the people I know who work on capitol hill for a living.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
She's also massively popular so I don't think the DNC is going to rush to gently caress her over until they find a real reason to

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Flikken posted:

*as I frown in the bus rearview mirror and tap my avatar*

E: nah actually it's been a year I'm putting the old one back finally

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 27, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Grip it and rip it posted:

She's also massively popular so I don't think the DNC is going to rush to gently caress her over until they find a real reason to

efb refresh those tabs, kids

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

There is some tier of beer lower than this that can be had by the can at gas stations around here for a quarter apiece.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

A Bad Poster posted:

There is some tier of beer lower than this that can be had by the can at gas stations around here for a quarter apiece.

A quarter!?!? I need to know what this poo poo is.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

A Bad Poster posted:

I want to see the response they'd give for "I don't trust the government."

This is a pretty common response from coworkers who will not get vaccinated. Admittedly I was on the fence at first due to short testing time and wide range of symptoms but the VA offered 2 paid administrative days off for both doses plus stated workers compensation claims would be blessed by management on the way to the department of labor. They are going the extra mile with the admin days off and still some people think the government is going to track them. Honey you have to use your PIV card at 99% of the doorways. You have to log in to your workstation with your PIV. They already know exactly where you are 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

You’re terrified of the government tracking you so ... you work for the government ....? :tinfoil:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sarah posted:

You’re terrified of the government tracking you so ... you work for the government ....? :tinfoil:

I confronted a DoD contractor about how he could justify incessantly railing about how taxation is theft while collecting a paycheck funded wholly by taxpayers and he said it was different because it was "indirect." These people have some sort of prion disease, I swear.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't particularly trust the government, but they didn't develop the vaccines, just paid for priority. This isn't Russia and the shot isn't called Sputnik.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Godholio posted:

efb refresh those tabs, kids

Oh they'll definitely try to hamstring her when she eventually runs for President

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yeah, them getting rid of AOC would basically alienate a large portion of the voting populous they need to win.