Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
also lmao the Mason faction isn't the Masonic Order you dumb motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Game good but the servers still need work. Sometimes it's hard for me to tell when I just suck and when packet loss made my block not work or something.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zotix posted:

Where there non-white people in the Masonic Order?

Ah, yes, the famous historical conflict between the Mason Order and the Agatha Knights.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Lokee posted:

I can't stand this Deus Vult crap. Who cares if it's not historically accurate? The modern sample of people that play video games is way bigger and more diverse than it's ever been and everyone wants to see themselves represented. Go watch a Ken Burns documentary if you want accurate.

Answer the question C.H.U.D., did the Masonic Order have people like that or not we know the famous county of Agathon did but the historical evidence about the the Masonic Order in their long fight for control of the three counties of Languedob is there if you simply go to the library and look for it.

You know how they always shout 'For Bald Rick, yeah!!' well Bald Rick had a lot of published writings its called primary sources maybe you should learn Obbitan and read them some day (like I did) HMM?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Yeah like initially I thought it was a bit odd to single out Mordhau so harshly for not having enough diversity because Chiv and a lot of other games don't let you change skin color at all, but then I thought more about the thought process that would go into wanting so many similar shades of pale skin available, along with the fact that the devs suggested adding female characters and noped right out when people asked why it wasn't happening, and the fact that the openly thought that the word "kniggas" was comedy gold when people used it on their official forums.

They just demonstrate a level of comfort with chuddy types that's really off putting, even aside from how commonly you see players spouting that crap in-game.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Yeah I'm gonna need a duel server to reset my muscle memory lol. It feels really janky/laggy though, or maybe the people using dodge are loving me up. Maybe the whole thing is designed to gently caress Mordhau vets up and make them start from scratch.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Yeah I think what makes mordhau so transparently awful is that it has extensive customization, even making deformed fantasy freaks, but there is one specific thing lacking...

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I do have to admit that making ridiculous looking characters (and photobombing the character select screen with them) is a huge part of why I still love this game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I was mostly in it for the armor customization anyway (full helmets/face coverings 4 life), if Chiv2 can keep up with that I'll be glad to leave Mordhau behind.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Can anyone in Chiv 2 confirm whether this voice is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s2lcHygBAI&t=119s

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Ive played it a bunch last night and today, and I can't give a complete impression of it since I haven't quite unlocked the shield/spear skirmisher man yet, but the major pros and cons are, IMO

PROS:

Sounds like chivalry, which had some of the best sound design of all time.
They kept all the original taunts and voice things I think and added more
Still has the scream button
You can get your leg messed up and crawl around punching people until someone puts you out of your misery
You can throw anything any time
"Balanced" whatever that means
You can turn the chat off

CONS:
They removed my two favorite weapons the brandistock and the fork, a deal breaker for me. And the spear sucks rear end and doesnt do enough damage. and you cant whack people in the face with it
Movement is awful, sluggish, your guy has elastic bands attached to him or leg irons or a ball and chain or something. No smooth graceful movements
Very "lunge-y," part of the awful mummy movement, no graceful managing of distance in fights
Very "balanced" everything feels the same and sucks
Horses were the best part of mordhau and it doesnt have them

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'll say it again, there's too much desyncing currently. Once parries, and kicks start flying, what you're seeing is not what the other person sees. It's really jarring once you start noticing it.

Oh and catapults need major work. Loading them is the most loving retarded process ever.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 25, 2021

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Played it for a few hours. Seems fun. Lots of getting killed from nowhere by a crossbow rear end in a top hat or some siege engine a million miles away, but I guess that's part of the genre now. Some networking problems, as other people have said; hopefully those get worked on. I feel like blocking is too easy; people don't seem to need to look at your weapon or whatever. They just stare straight at you and block everything anyway.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Have to say, though, I do wish there were smaller servers available. The chaos of 64 players is pretty fun, but it does get a little tiresome to have just about every single fight end in a 3v1 or worse.

e: also archers are still bad and make the game worse just by existing.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 25, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

as much as I enjoy being that little piece of poo poo with a crossbow that pops out and domes the gentry before slinking away again, I wouldn't be against like, the implication of archers rather than having them run around on the battlefield. Have them shoot you when you're out of bounds, or holding a point gives you occasional arrow support or something.

I wouldn't want to get rid of throwing weapons, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

hakimashou posted:

Horses were the best part of mordhau and it doesnt have them

:thunk:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My only problem with archers (in both Mordhau and Chiv) is that they still get a loving sword. You picked a weapon that lets you kill people from a mile away on top of a wall in perfect safety; fine, but you should pay for your cowardice by being completely hosed if you’re stupid enough to let someone get into melee range. Instead, you press one button and you’re like 95% as effective as anyone else.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

horses are the best part of a theoretical mordhau where horses worked properly for the first year of the game's lifespan

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

megane posted:

My only problem with archers (in both Mordhau and Chiv) is that they still get a loving sword. You picked a weapon that lets you kill people from a mile away on top of a wall in perfect safety; fine, but you should pay for your cowardice by being completely hosed if you’re stupid enough to let someone get into melee range. Instead, you press one button and you’re like 95% as effective as anyone else.

Simple fix for this would be for melee damage received while bow is equipped to be increased by 50% and have the bow ---> melee weapon swap animation take about 3x as long.

Being a ranged build is fine as long as it's a meaningful choice with a serious downside in exchange for the serious upside of being able to kill at a distance. Few if any games have ever gotten this right in the genre.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

megane posted:

Why wouldnt they have a sword?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Not gonna buy chiv 2, definitely not for 40 bucks.

The intricate timing/distance stuff that took so long to master in chiv and was so rewarding is replaced by clumsy slogging lurching, both my fav weapons are gone, and it seems like they took away the ability of the spear chucker dudes to run around with a spear cranked back to throw with a click.

It seems like when people attack you it lunges them forward at you and you're expected to either parry or use a 'back step' button combo they added. In real chivalry you managed the distance by continuously moving.

It feels like they want it to be sort of a turn based thing now where you exchange attack/defense turns more than a movement based thing like before. Not a fan.

I think the most fun i had was doing archer unlocking the skirmisher man to try out, probably because I didnt have to interact much with the new movement system.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
So anyway like I said if you’re a psycho who still plays mordhau you probably won’t switch and maybe don’t say “spear chucker” either just some friendly advice.

These games have all had their player base drop off a cliff after the first month so I’m not exactly worried about the latest one not catering to existing hardcore sword fight game guys. Obviously the thing they like has not been grabbing a bigger audience. Changing the formula a bit to not let sweaty guys completely ruin everyone’s day and fix the server desync/packet loss and maybe we’ve got something.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The problem is that you should die for getting greedy and making mistakes. In melee you get greedy when you push in and get surrounded, you make mistakes like missing parries and getting chambered and poo poo, and then you die for it. Sometimes you die for one tiny timing mistake, or for no mistake at all because, well, archers exist. But an archer who lets a melee guy get next to him has already been super greedy and made a series of huge gently caress-ups. He had ample time to shoot the attacker - with perfect impunity and unblockable arrows that kill in one head-shot - as he was closing, but he still didn't manage to get the kill. He could at any point have stopped shooting to retreat, but he didn't. The melee guys on his team could easily have come to save him, but they didn't. He was already given the massive advantage of getting to stand up on a wall or behind his team or whatever and still be completely effective, but he squandered that and got overrun. He's already hosed up enough to justify his death three times over.

Instead, he gets to pull out a sword, and all of those mistakes are instantly wiped away and he's right back to where a melee-on-melee fight starts - probably in an advantageous position, even, because he gets to pick the terrain (the melee guy has to come to the archer, otherwise the archer will just go back to his bow), may have gotten some arrows into the attacker, and is almost certainly near his allies.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Simple fix for this would be for melee damage received while bow is equipped to be increased by 50% and have the bow ---> melee weapon swap animation take about 3x as long.

Being a ranged build is fine as long as it's a meaningful choice with a serious downside in exchange for the serious upside of being able to kill at a distance. Few if any games have ever gotten this right in the genre.
This is a step in the right direction, but... the archer generally has plenty of time to get ready. Making him press the swap button earlier only matters if he gets snuck up on.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
archers get a sword but it can only be used for seppeku

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The best part of the game is when you're playing objective on defense, and the offense pushes the point and the match phases to the next part. Then you get black screened for being out of position for like 5 seconds, and it doesn't move your character you just come back to 5 enemies around you.

And again. Twice in the same match. You just get loving black screened and then it restores and there's loving 3 dudes around you. loving annoying as poo poo.

Also collision in this game is just dogshit. Avoid fighting anywhere you can hit something other than a player. Like the amount of times your poo poo clips stuff, while the enemy just swings trough it is absurd.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 26, 2021

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

megane posted:

The problem is that you should die for getting greedy and making mistakes. In melee you get greedy when you push in and get surrounded, you make mistakes like missing parries and getting chambered and poo poo, and then you die for it. Sometimes you die for one tiny timing mistake, or for no mistake at all because, well, archers exist. But an archer who lets a melee guy get next to him has already been super greedy and made a series of huge gently caress-ups. He had ample time to shoot the attacker - with perfect impunity and unblockable arrows that kill in one head-shot - as he was closing, but he still didn't manage to get the kill. He could at any point have stopped shooting to retreat, but he didn't. The melee guys on his team could easily have come to save him, but they didn't. He was already given the massive advantage of getting to stand up on a wall or behind his team or whatever and still be completely effective, but he squandered that and got overrun. He's already hosed up enough to justify his death three times over.

Instead, he gets to pull out a sword, and all of those mistakes are instantly wiped away and he's right back to where a melee-on-melee fight starts - probably in an advantageous position, even, because he gets to pick the terrain (the melee guy has to come to the archer, otherwise the archer will just go back to his bow), may have gotten some arrows into the attacker, and is almost certainly near his allies.

This is a step in the right direction, but... the archer generally has plenty of time to get ready. Making him press the swap button earlier only matters if he gets snuck up on.

I dont think arrows kill with headshots in chiv 2 except on other archers but im not 100% sure. It didnt feel like head shots with melee weapons did any extra damage either.

Anyway the bigger problem which is also of course unaddressed is that people can use little knives and hatchets and cudgels and stuff to block big heavy swords and axes and hammers and spears.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

hakimashou posted:

I dont think arrows kill with headshots in chiv 2 except on other archers but im not 100% sure. It didnt feel like head shots with melee weapons did any extra damage either.

Anyway the bigger problem which is also of course unaddressed is that people can use little knives and hatchets and cudgels and stuff to block big heavy swords and axes and hammers and spears.

I mean isn't that Mordhau as well? At least it was on release when I last played.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zotix posted:

I mean isn't that Mordhau as well? At least it was on release when I last played.

Around the time the game started shedding players they made some changes to blocking with smaller weapons that made it cost more stamina, IIRC.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Zotix posted:

Mordhau was never as good as chivalry anyway

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was definitely let down with the beta weekend. Instead of chivalry 2 it feels like we're getting a Mordhau competitor, and it isn't better.

Wonder if release will be any different? It's fun, sure, but I doubt it'll manage to keep players for very long, and the focus on bigger servers means the player hemorrhage is going to be all the more damning to the game.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

So its gonna be dead on arrival is my takeaway here

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Isn't chiv 2 an epic exclusive for a while? Can't imagine that'll help with population.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
They badly need to fix their netcode or whatever is loving up the servers. 60-80 ping should not equal teleport territory. It was bad yesterday but today is unplayable.

Mechanics wise, I prefer it over Mordhau, even though chambering is less intuitive (Mordhau's 360 system is great even if I miss half my chambers to my hyper dpi :v:). It shuts down a lot of sweaty playstyles that are just frustrating to deal with, while allowing a bit of advanced play beyond countering. 1vX-ing is harder and you're going to die to flanks a lot, but there's a whole lot less tryhard horseshit to deal with in Chivalry 2.

Gobblecoque posted:

Isn't chiv 2 an epic exclusive for a while? Can't imagine that'll help with population.

I'm convinced this will either heavily limit the playerbase or straight up kill the game stone dead, if they don't do a massive marketing campaign for the steam release.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 26, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, I do like that I haven't really seen any sweatlords doing backwards overheads or 360 dragging so far. Those were always the least fun part of Chiv 1.

Also, even though it's kind of anathema to Chiv, I have been playing in 3rd person some and it actually does work out quite nicely. Makes it much easier to keep an eye on everybody in big group fights, and somehow I even find it easier to gauge enemy reach that way.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Chiv 1 was far, far worse with the sweatlord poo poo than Mordhau and I don't understand why anyone could think otherwise. Teleporting man at arms with swords that could feint and reswing faster than the human response time, reverse overhead maul headshots, and lookdown overheads so steep that the weapon tracers start inside your character model weren't even advanced techniques in that game, they were basically entry level poo poo into anything beyond team objective.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

was anyone saying it was worse in mordhau? personally I wasn't happy that it existed at all and it's the main reason I haven't gone back to the game in a while lol, but it was definitely worse in Chiv1

I wonder how they'll combat it in Chiv2, they seem confidant that they've figured something out.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i dont like what they did to the movement but i do like that the game just fuckin tell me whats going on and how i'm getting killed instead of leaving it to vague interpretation

School Nickname posted:

I'm convinced this will either heavily limit the playerbase or straight up kill the game stone dead, if they don't do a massive marketing campaign for the steam release.

they kinda said that they consider the steam release to be a second launch or the real launch or whatever

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the steam release should absolutely come with a content drop or something to hook people back in. Just dropping a game onto steam with a 10% off sale isn't really enough these days.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I've noticed that the damage on kill screens isn't accurate. I've noticed this with archery, and at least once with a sword. I've been at >50% life on a class with I believe 120hp or 130hp(can't remember which it was specifically) and I'll die in one shot to an archer and it says I took 45 damage. That would imply that my hp is no more than 90hp when it should be 120.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

the steam release should absolutely come with a content drop or something to hook people back in. Just dropping a game onto steam with a 10% off sale isn't really enough these days.

Steam release should come with Deadliest Warrior 2 :getin: