Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

xtal posted:

Lol I was already writing a post and then stopped when I saw this

lmao owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

drat man this jfk true anonymous podcast is blowing my mind.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

xtal posted:

Lol I was already writing a post and then stopped when I saw this

Was a link to your podcast in the post? If so can you finish the post?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
We're in for a real meeting of the minds as Dave Portnoy has apparently been epically owned forever by Elon Musk

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Conta points is just as boring on Bad Faith as she is in her videos.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mcmagic posted:

what??????

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

How Darwinian posted:

In the latest David Harvey episode, he was talking about how McCarthyism lead to a shift in science toward quantification and away from an understanding of non-quantifiable abstractions like "power". He'd also said that the free speech movement of the 1960s helped swing the pendulum back away from quantification again and to open up studying Marxism as allowable in universities again. Does anyone know of any books going into some detail on this?
https://anticapitalistchronicles.libsyn.com/absolute-contradictions-of-the-post-war-era

Mostly academic stuff, so not necessarily light reading, but all in one form or another touch on it (sorry for the weird spacing, dont know why my citation manager software added it):

Amadae, S. M. (2003). Rationalizing Capitalist Democracy: The Cold War Origins of Rational Choice Liberalism. Chicago IL, University of Chicago Press.

Fourcade, M. (2009). Economists and Societies. Princeton NJ, Princeton University Press.

Giraud, Y. (2014). Negotiating the 'Middle of the Road' Position: Paul Samuelson, MIT, and the Politics of Textbook Writing, 1945-­‐55. MIT and the Transformation of American Economics. E. R. Weintraub. Durham, NC, Duke University Press: 134-­‐152.

Hutcheson, P. A. (1997). McCarthyism and the Professoriate: A Historiographic Nightmere? Higher Education: Handbook of Theory and Research 12. J. C. Smart and W. Tierney. New York, NY, Agathon Press (Kluwer)

Solberg, W. and R. Tomilson (1997). "Academic McCarthyism and Keynesian Economics: the Bowen Controversy at the University of Illinois." History of Political Economy29(1): 55-­‐81.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mcmagic posted:

i couldn't even get through the preview clip.

Halloween Jack posted:

Proportional representation and ranked choice voting are antisemitic.

when i was trying to explain it in 2016 (before TURMP) i had a black (?) goon tell me that those voting systems don't care about black people lol

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Greg Legg posted:

None of my podcasts are even about politics

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

xtal posted:

god dammit mods please train this poster to this thread until an appropriate post is made

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

xtal posted:

Are they about podcasts as a concept?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
probably wanking about mutual aid as a replacement for politics, as if the libertarians haven't been saying the same thing about charity replacing government institutions since time immemorial

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

probably wanking about mutual aid as a replacement for politics, as if the libertarians haven't been saying the same thing about charity replacing government institutions since time immemorial

lol love that mutual aid became the internet biglib term de jour in a span of like 6 months. also the d&d thread on it has like 6 posts total in it.

which granted the unionize ur loving workplace thread on cspam only has like 6 pages so glass house, etc

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Shouldn't it be [Cringecasts]?

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

joepinetree posted:

Mostly academic stuff, so not necessarily light reading, but all in one form or another touch on it (sorry for the weird spacing, dont know why my citation manager software added it):

Amadae, S. M. (2003). Rationalizing Capitalist Democracy: The Cold War Origins of Rational Choice Liberalism. Chicago IL, University of Chicago Press.

Fourcade, M. (2009). Economists and Societies. Princeton NJ, Princeton University Press.

Giraud, Y. (2014). Negotiating the 'Middle of the Road' Position: Paul Samuelson, MIT, and the Politics of Textbook Writing, 1945-­‐55. MIT and the Transformation of American Economics. E. R. Weintraub. Durham, NC, Duke University Press: 134-­‐152.

Hutcheson, P. A. (1997). McCarthyism and the Professoriate: A Historiographic Nightmere? Higher Education: Handbook of Theory and Research 12. J. C. Smart and W. Tierney. New York, NY, Agathon Press (Kluwer)

Solberg, W. and R. Tomilson (1997). "Academic McCarthyism and Keynesian Economics: the Bowen Controversy at the University of Illinois." History of Political Economy29(1): 55-­‐81.

Awesome thanks! This is perfect. The social sciences have been trying to clean their poorly replicating studies up, but are also won't hear anything about theory. The main replication advocacy group in psychology is also funded by an Enron billionaire, so I'm just seeing a lot of parallels to what Harvey talked about playing out again, with a heavy focus on "just the facts" quantification.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

xtal posted:

this is a thread for non-political podcasts as well

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Kunster posted:

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1386575496998232064

If I have to read pages of weird phrenology about picrew people someone calling Natalie a drat fool is a blip compared to that.

I hope Chapo quit paying Virgil

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
they still pay Brendan, so I assume everyone gets to keep their pay contractually

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
eyyy madone can i get one a them no show podcast jobs ovah here?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

Ive been going through the What A Time To Be Alive patreon episodes recently. It passes the time at work which is what really matters

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
its a good thing cum town is made by the founder and president of the dsa since it is banned from rgd

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Atrocious Joe posted:

I listen to the Jack Slack/Fights Gone By podcast for MMA/general combat sports when I need a break from political podcasts. He's been talking a little about how fighters should get unionized though and he and Felix both follow each other on twitter now.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Relin posted:

its a good thing cum town is made by the founder and president of the dsa since it is banned from rgd

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Relin posted:

it's ok we have a good home for it now

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I tried to listen to the True Anon JFK two-parter and it just feels really dry. Its weird because it's a topic I'm interested in and the show always starts high energy but I feel like they get really in the weeds in the middle and even end the first part by just...recommending different podcasts to listen to that discuss JFK in more detail.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

xtal posted:

hahaha I don't care! Post it!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Greg Legg posted:

is this the 2.3x listening speed of posting in the podcast thread

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I tried to listen to the True Anon JFK two-parter and it just feels really dry. Its weird because it's a topic I'm interested in and the show always starts high energy but I feel like they get really in the weeds in the middle and even end the first part by just...recommending different podcasts to listen to that discuss JFK in more detail.

I haven't listened yet but that's a shame. I see people give Brace and Liz a lot of credit for the research they do for each episode, but honestly they're both really bad at explaining a long narrative. They get sidetracked and go into long-winded, sarcastic jokes so often. Their Paddock episode was over 3 hours, but had less substantive content than one of Chapo's Poppy episodes.

It's great listening to Brace and Liz freestyle about random news topics, but listening to them narrate a story makes me feel like I'm coked out trying to tell a sober person about this really cool thing that happened to me

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Euphoriaphone posted:

I haven't listened yet but that's a shame. I see people give Brace and Liz a lot of credit for the research they do for each episode, but honestly they're both really bad at explaining a long narrative. They get sidetracked and go into long-winded, sarcastic jokes so often. Their Paddock episode was over 3 hours, but had less substantive content than one of Chapo's Poppy episodes.

It's great listening to Brace and Liz freestyle about random news topics, but listening to them narrate a story makes me feel like I'm coked out trying to tell a sober person about this really cool thing that happened to me
i liked the 3 hr paddock episode, also because it had felix and also i will gladly listen to lizbelden for 3 hrs and imo all their episodes should be 3 hrs long. but yes

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

It gets off to an insanely bad start when they basically state "determining whether it was the CIA, mafia or someone else who killed JFK is impossible because they all wanted to do it, so really it was a combination of all of them, sorta". no motherfucker, they did not manifest a bullet through bad vibes alone. someone shot him, other parties either orchestrated it, gave consent for it or were aware of it. this is not an impossible question to answer, its just one we dont have the information to answer definitively, and saying "well it's a superposition of all possible conspirators" is beyond stupid. people talk in those terms about sociopolitical phenomena that are too complicated to map out or fully understand, but not when describing discrete events with individual actors.

people fall into a trap when they are describing "conspiracies" like this when they don't have their own theory--they present a ton of evidence, much of which contradicts other parts and is of mixed authenticity, and never bound it with a theory of their own to create a narrative (which provides a framework for adding reinforcing evidence and also presenting evidence that contradicts the theory). all this poo poo you want cant possibly be true simultaneously, and maybe none of it is, and by presenting a trashcan full of crap and saying "sometihng happened we just dont know WHAT!" you are doing a disservice to the people and events. it also conveniently makes it impossible to argue any particular bit of evidence, because without connections between pieces of evidence, removing one piece doesn't change the whole.

i think this is why "synchronicities" are so popular among people talking about conspiracies, aliens, etc---people want to find patterns, and if they can't they'll invent them and present them as evidence even without claims of relevance or meaning. ahhh isn't it INTERESTING that hitler was born on 4/20, the weed day. was this an attempt to ritually manifest the avatar of a two-faced god of pain and pleasure? who can say

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

papa horny michael posted:

they still pay Brendan, so I assume everyone gets to keep their pay contractually

where did you get this information?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Breadallelogram posted:

where did you get this information?
yeah same question, i find it a little hard to believe he's just collecting 1/7th of 2.1 million a year

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://open.spotify.com/show/3ftbFutRJ5iOWXEzyPYUCH

maybe interesting maybe not, Ken M is interviewed

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

How Darwinian posted:

In the latest David Harvey episode, he was talking about how McCarthyism lead to a shift in science toward quantification and away from an understanding of non-quantifiable abstractions like "power". He'd also said that the free speech movement of the 1960s helped swing the pendulum back away from quantification again and to open up studying Marxism as allowable in universities again. Does anyone know of any books going into some detail on this?
https://anticapitalistchronicles.libsyn.com/absolute-contradictions-of-the-post-war-era

richard lewontin has written a bunch on reductionism and genetic determinism in liberal science, idk about anything covering the history more broadly tho

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Xaris posted:

yeah same question, i find it a little hard to believe he's just collecting 1/7th of 2.1 million a year

the podcast thread: extremely concerning podcast earning statistics within

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

how much of my chapo 5bux per month goes to Virgil Texas

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

joepinetree posted:

i'd like to add to this:

Habermas, J (1968). Knowledge and Human Interest Beacon Press; 2nd Printing October 1972 edition (February 1, 1972)

idk if it's translated, but also Hans Skjervheim's essay "Deltakar og Tilskodar", or "Participant and Observer", published in the late fifties, is an excellent primer for why positive social sciences are insufficient

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

The economic and political forces that gathered steam in the 50 years leading up to Dealey Plaza are more interesting than the umpteenth granular theory about who did the shooting and from what angle on November 23rd itself. So from that perspective it doesn't matter who actually gave the okay for the hit, since mafia, CIA and big business are actually all part of the same horrifying machine.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
yea that’s an odd criticism for them specifically as of course their main focus is the material conditions that would converge and fracture at and around that day and not the day itself as some isolated thing. they’ve explicitly stated that they are historical materialists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I haven't listened to part 2 yet, because part 1 being based on JFK was shor because he was a threat thi the establishment hell is Boomer brained mythology