Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I am going to go very strongly the other direction: Hunt sucks! Enjoy getting one-shot by higher leveled players with better guns. Also now your character is dead forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Orv posted:

I think it's the best Battle Royale (that is not remotely a Battle Royale) out there.

You get your weapons, tools and consumables from out of game meta progression, spend money on them that you get from playing matches, select all that gear before the game and go into a match. 12 players max, any combination of solos, duos and trios. Find clues at each location on the map to track down the boss, which there can be either one or two per match. Go to the boss arena, kill the boss and banish it which takes time and reveals your location to the rest of the players. When the banish is complete, pick up the token(s) and either extract with them or go for the other boss' tokens if it's a two boss map.

PvPvE with PvP being the focus but the PvE is incredibly important as well, as managing sound is a massive portion of success in PvP engagements. Ambushes are common, dying to a random headshot will happen from time to time but the reliability of the weapons, being turn of the 19th century fare, are fairly rare. I think it has some of the most unique and enjoyable shooting in modern games but YMMV on that.

Strongly recommend it even with randos.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Chad Jihad posted:

I am going to go very strongly the other direction: Hunt sucks! Enjoy getting one-shot by higher leveled players with better guns. Also now your character is dead forever

Yeah I also hated Hunt which was disappointing because it looked extremely my poo poo, but even with a group of friends I thought it was pretty dreadful.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Det_no posted:

It's pretty hosed up but if you play it casually I think it's still very nice.

I played 4 battles to the end, and my conclusion is that axis never wins. Its sort of fun though. I don't know if the automatic weapons you end up buying later are better, but the bolt action rifles feel pretty good. All the squad upgrade stuff is insanely byzantine though, thats a god drat mess

Orv
May 4, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I played 4 battles to the end, and my conclusion is that axis never wins. Its sort of fun though. I don't know if the automatic weapons you end up buying later are better, but the bolt action rifles feel pretty good. All the squad upgrade stuff is insanely byzantine though, thats a god drat mess

This is probably a fun piece of connection to War Thunder itself. In War Thunder's tanks mode they have had to progressively buff German tanks over the last few years, time and again forcing tanks that should not be fighting each other into conflict. The Tiger 1 in particular has long rested in a place in matchmaking where almost none of the other tanks in that tier can reliably pen it from the front or even the sides. Except because the Wehraboos are so goddamn poo poo at the game, that still isn't enough to make the German win rate viable. The German players can't shoot for poo poo or do objectives. I imagine it'll be similar here.

E: I should not that is kind of specific to that one tier/area of matchmaking where 90% of every German team is Tigers but it tends to hold true for most of the rest of the tiers as well.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 27, 2021

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I've been having trouble playing more graphically intensive games like Resident Evil 2, Nier Automata, and Vermintide 2. Nier and Re2 the games tend to slow down when there's a lot of things on the screen at once, and this is even with a capped fps of 59 and 30 respectively. I've installed FAR and used the recommended settings and set Re2's settings to be performance focused. This hasn't fixed my problems though. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 7577 laptop and I've got a Infel (R) HD graphics 630, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, and 4 Intel (R) Core i5-7300HQ COU @ 2.50 GHz. I've also got all my games on a 1 TB SSD.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I've been having trouble playing more graphically intensive games like Resident Evil 2, Nier Automata, and Vermintide 2. Nier and Re2 the games tend to slow down when there's a lot of things on the screen at once, and this is even with a capped fps of 59 and 30 respectively. I've installed FAR and used the recommended settings and set Re2's settings to be performance focused. This hasn't fixed my problems though. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 7577 laptop and I've got a Infel (R) HD graphics 630, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, and 4 Intel (R) Core i5-7300HQ COU @ 2.50 GHz. I've also got all my games on a 1 TB SSD.

A portable 7-series i5 probably isn't cutting it - open task manager or game bar and look at the performance graphs to see where your bottleneck is

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I'm on a kick of... I don't know what to call them, Resident Evil 4-alikes? I started off with that, then Evil Within 1 & 2, then Dead Space 1 & 2. I'm now on Dead Space 3 and having to stop every five minutes (sometimes less) to scream at EA, are there any other games that follow this fairly specific blueprint that I can play instead?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm on a kick of... I don't know what to call them, Resident Evil 4-alikes? I started off with that, then Evil Within 1 & 2, then Dead Space 1 & 2. I'm now on Dead Space 3 and having to stop every five minutes (sometimes less) to scream at EA, are there any other games that follow this fairly specific blueprint that I can play instead?

Cold Fear is okay

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Deadly Premonition :getin:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Just downloaded Enlisted since some goons were talking about it last page. Let me vomit some thoughts about it

• Running around popping dudes with bolt action rifles is pretty cool! The mechanic where you play as a whole squad and can instantly switch to one of your 6 AI buddies after getting headshot makes it feel pretty chill and low-stakes even when you die, which keeps the game feeling fun and arcadey instead of hardcore despite the 1-hit-kill gameplay.
  • Managing all the levels and inventories for 4 squads of 5-6 soldiers each seems like it could get very annoying, especially since you need to buy stuff like grenades and medpacks separately for every soldier in every squad. (Just once though -- they aren't consumed or anything.) My starting squad had all that stuff but when I unlocked a new assault squad they were basically naked.
  • Your levels and inventories of soldiers/guns/equipment are totally separate between the axis and allies, but the gacha tickets you use to actually get new stuff are shared. So if you spend all your tickets getting guns for your Allies squads you will have nothing left to outfit your Axis squads with. Seems like the game wants you to just pick one and stick with it, which makes it weird that by default the "join either team" box is ticked in multiplayer. Same thing applies for switching between the 2 current "campaigns" (aka map packs?), Moscow and Normandy.
  • The respawn system (after your whole squad gets wiped out) is incredibly opaque and I have no idea what's going on. When you get wiped out as one squad you can't choose that same squad to respawn next time, which makes sense. But once you have 3+ squads equipped it seems like only one of them is selectable each time? And there's a timer on the respawn screen for "next squad arrives in X seconds" constantly ticking but it doesn't seem to do anything -- when it hits 0, none of the crossed-out squads become available :confused:
  • the p2w elements seem not that impactful... the difference between a 5* soldier and a 1* is that the 5* can get more level-up perks but none of the perks seems like huge gamechangers. They're stuff like faster wall-mantling or crawl speed. I don't really know about the guns though. At least the basic springfield/kar98 seem to 1-hit-kill just fine even at 1*, but the 5* version has "-35% shots deviation, +15% rate of fire, +15% hit power", which sounds pretty significant. You can still get those as a f2p of course but someone who spends lots of real money cash on the gun lootboxes will get a lot more of them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Finally pulled the trigger on some stuff after my hemming and hawing last night. Preordered the Necromunda game from the EYE guys even though I was iffy about bumping my “preordered games” count to three. I also got Curse of Dead Gods which... feels like it could maybe be good after this slow start but maybe not? It kinda reminds me of Dead Cells, and the crossover with Dead Cells is why I bought it (since Dead Cells is really good) but the whole thing feels a lot slower. Anyone else try that one?

Orv
May 4, 2011
The squad timer, IIRC from the early testing, does matter to when you can spawn in that squad again but you also have to get a certain number of points in order to keep spawning them in. If you take out a tank and get instantly murdered then you might not get to rock that tank again that match unless you do really well as an infantry squad. That might have changed since, I keep meaning to try Enlisted now that it's CB.

As for the freemium elements, they're obtrusive and mildly annoying but unless the developers suddenly decide to shift major game mechanics, you can absolutely murder entire battlefields of dude with a basic STV-40 or whatever you get as a free player, thanks to the games lethality. Unlike War Thunder (and World of Tanks et al) you can completely ignore the paid elements and still compete just fine, though it will be a slightly longer grind for some stuff.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What are some Goonpinions about Hunt: Showdown? One of the Tarkov players I watch sometimes recently did a video playing it and it looks kinda interesting.

it's extremely good as long as you can meet the high barrier to entry. you need to be a patient person who can accept losing your stuff often, and you need a friend who meets those qualifications too, which is the kicker that probably keeps it from being as popular as tarkov despite being the far better game. Or, as of a couple weeks ago, we now have a discord with a few players who won't mind rolling with a newbie. just don't try to learn the game solo.

my biggest complaint with the game (matchmaking dropping 4.0 KDR insta headshot gods into your game and even telling you it considers them "much more skilled" than you but chose to match you against them anyway :newlol:) is being addressed in an upcoming patch. Hunt can be an absolutely terrible experience when this happens but I don't want to complain too much about it since changes are coming.

when it's actually working well and the fights are fair, there's nothing else like it. Sound in Hunt is more important than in any other game I've played and the entire game revolves around it. The AI monsters and sound traps mean it's challenging to move around the map quietly, but if you take too long being quiet then other players could get to the boss before you, so what risks are you willing to take? There's basically never a moment that isn't tense. When you actually take down a team in a bad situation it feels incredible and rewarding.

Also, hunt's occult cowboy theme with lovely 19th-century technology is way better than tarkov's tired milspergery.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

I could never get into RE4, but I was digging Remnant From the Ashes in a similar mold.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, sort of

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, sort of

That's got almost no combat though, it's all exploration and puzzles while digging deep into the mental illness of the main character.

Headset required for sure, because the game played around with the audio in ways I've never experienced before and was a triumph of audio design or whatever it's called.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

If you have a friend available and desperate enough, RE5 and RE6 are worth it because co-op makes everything good. For single player, avoid them like the plague though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Trickyblackjack posted:

If you have a friend available and desperate enough, RE5 and RE6 are worth it because co-op makes everything good. For single player, avoid them like the plague though.

Telling someone to make their friend play RE6 is probably some kind of crime.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The Chad Jihad posted:

I'd honestly say the guns are usually only different, and character death isn't a big deal. My favourite weapons in the game are melee, and the starting knife is pretty drat effective inside a house.

Meanwhile in something like Tarkov, you lose your heavily customised and fully kitted highly expensive assault rifle that you've been grinding for thirty hours to get, all because an NPC saw you through a bush and gave you the ol' head-eyes treatment.

Orv posted:

RE6 is great fun, terrible RE game but what a fun and silly summer blockbuster. It won me over when I had to fight through a zombie infested plane to reach the cockpit and try to straighten it out while my co-op buddy held off the horde with ridiculous John Wick gunkata and Max Payne dives. Then we did the campaign where you punch people. Then they got a lightning arm in another campaign.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 27, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Orv posted:

Comboing your melee moves with a co op partner is kinda fun

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on some stuff after my hemming and hawing last night. Preordered the Necromunda game from the EYE guys even though I was iffy about bumping my “preordered games” count to three. I also got Curse of Dead Gods which... feels like it could maybe be good after this slow start but maybe not? It kinda reminds me of Dead Cells, and the crossover with Dead Cells is why I bought it (since Dead Cells is really good) but the whole thing feels a lot slower. Anyone else try that one?

I've talked about it before and god forgive me for making this comparison but Curse of the Dead Gods is more Dark Souls then the fast action focused game play of Dead Cells. Like the whole gameplay is more thought out with with massive risk/reward systems then say becoming a living pinball of destruction like Dead Cells/Hades. To get any were in the game you having to consider between parrying/dodge all while pushing forward to keep the kill bonus going while trying to maintain your curse level as low as possible vs getting powerups.

I find the game extremely fun but it is by design slower then Dead Cells.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Is there a Steam sale this week?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/steam-sale-2020-schedule

quote:

Steam Golden Week Sale 2021
Expected to be active between: April 29 - May 6

Steam Sale 2021 - Expected Schedule of Sale Dates for the Year
The Steam Golden Week Sale 2021 celebrates Japanese video game developers. We expect it to take place during the Golden Week itself – which is a period starting on April 29 that contains multiple Japanese holidays – and feature discounts for games from publishers like Capcom, Bandai Namco, Square Enix and others.

So nothing confirmed, but I expect a sale

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I recently played some RE6 mercenaries with a friend, its pretty fun still.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Resident Evil 6 kicks rear end and, at its core, is a far better action game than Vanquish or any number of other critical darlings. The campaign scripting unfortunately hinders its true potential more often than not, but it’s still a blast.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How is RE7?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Not sure how much I can offer here but it was my first RE game and it was a blast. Lots of tension and excitement in the beginning too when you’re having to hide behind sofas and under tables. I had fun all the way through. Enjoyed the story and everything else about it. I don’t really see any value in replaying it though - I feel like I saw everything. Biggest gripe was trying to headshot enemies that instinctively move their heads away when you put your crosshairs over them. That got old.

But yeah tons of fun

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Anyone heard anything about King of Seas which is coming out in May?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1209410/King_of_Seas/

Looks like a neat little budget game. Might not be something that I'd play for countless hours on end but might be worth checking out.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Pretty solid IMO, it's an attempt to return to the series horror roots that's largely successful. It has pretty low enemy diversity and some annoying scripted sequences, plus the difficulty takes a nosedive near the end, so it's replay value is... low, but it's something RE fans should absolutely play once. Plus, it paved the way for RE2make, so I'll forever be grateful to it for that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Resident Evil 7 is on PC Gamepass if you have that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I’m in the minority opinion for sure but I couldn’t stand RE7. I’m a fan of the franchise so I tried to play it three different times and got bounced off every time. Unresponsive controls, floaty gamefeel and bullet sponge enemies. Playing it feels like moving through canola oil and I hate every minute of it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
That just sounds like a Resident Evil game to me.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Belated to Enlisted chat, it's pretty fun but has some weird design choices that bleed over from Warthunder; each theatre campaign is a different instance, currently there being two and one in paid beta which lmao. They have their own maps and armies, etc, but you need to level them up individually - by army. So US in Normandy you need to play to level up and Ruskies over in Moscow, etc. But it takes a hot minute to level up, so it encourages you to pick one campaign and one army and only ever play that. Your resources are also tied to your account, not campaign, so spending man cards to pick up soldiers will only give it for that army, etc. Should have gone for the battlefield generic approach imo, but.

The game itself is pretty fun, though. The big downside is the playerbase, most of them are just as barren as the bots you roll with and regularly you see most of the scoreboard with 5~ kills, which includes any bots they shoot. Which also makes it extremely onesided when one of the teams is loaded with people who can actually play a video game, given you can with relative ease hit 60~.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

The game itself is pretty fun, though. The big downside is the playerbase, most of them are just as barren as the bots you roll with and regularly you see most of the scoreboard with 5~ kills, which includes any bots they shoot. Which also makes it extremely onesided when one of the teams is loaded with people who can actually play a video game, given you can with relative ease hit 60~.

Yeah, one of the rounds I played last night as the axis, there was an enemy tank basically stationary on top of our spawn point just mowing everyone down and not one player stopped to throw the basic explosive at it for 10 minutes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

That just sounds like a Resident Evil game to me.

REMake2 is an interesting case because it absolutely has bullet sponge enemies, and in fact they deliberately made the damage that enemies could sustain highly variable in order to introduce uncertainty into every encounter. But that is just one element of a highly considered and tightly designed game. The character controls in a less agile manner than RE5 or 6, but it works with how enemies move and how many there are, what your weapons do, etc.

Even in the old games with tank controls, where it felt like you were steering a boat, it always felt like the boat did exactly what you wanted when you wanted, yknow? I personally never felt that type of frustrating disconnect there.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think the worst feeling character movement I’ve experienced in any game is RDR2. I wouldn’t describe it as tank controls, but it’s something I was painfully aware of the entire time I was playing. Especially when you’re in the camp site.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

buglord posted:

I think the worst feeling character movement I’ve experienced in any game is RDR2. I wouldn’t describe it as tank controls, but it’s something I was painfully aware of the entire time I was playing. Especially when you’re in the camp site.

It’s very much not tank controls, because those are a specific thing (left/right turns, pressing forwards moves forward), but yeah they were awful. Too many buttons for things and way too much momentum so it was hard to stop before you ram into someone and started a fight.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just got a promo email that the next Humble Choice thing, launching on May 4, will have Metro Exodus, Darksiders Genesis, and Hellpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Kins posted:

Just got a promo email that the next Humble Choice thing, launching on May 4, will have Metro Exodus, Darksiders Genesis, and Hellpoint.

Another pause for me. I'd be bummed if I weren't busy with Dracula: Love Kills.