Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

And if you like Deadshot and Ostrander's mini you should check out Gage's Deadshot mini which is tonally different than Ostrander's but a lot of fun.
Hell yes on both of these, too. I'm embarrassed I didn't mention them earlier. I haven't read much by Christos Gage, but between his Deadshot miniseries and Cobra: The Last Laugh (co-written with Mike Costa; the best G.I. Joe story of all time), I absolutely love the few things I've read by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Can anyone recommend an 'art book' style collection of Jack Kirby's work? I'm not looking to read the comics per se but really have fallen in love with his visuals after getting exposed to them in the past couple of months. Something hardbound, glossy and bigger than 8.5 x 11 would be great.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pershing posted:

Can anyone recommend an 'art book' style collection of Jack Kirby's work? I'm not looking to read the comics per se but really have fallen in love with his visuals after getting exposed to them in the past couple of months. Something hardbound, glossy and bigger than 8.5 x 11 would be great.

This one

There also older portfolio edition things on eBay but they're from the 70s/80s so YMMV

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Second hand book shop nearby keeps getting more and more trades. Noticed they had X-Treme X-Men. The name is putting me off though. Is it worth getting (I think they have 4 trades). Also a few mid-2000 Spiderman books. I know Slott is disliked in these parts but is Spiderman no good?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Second hand book shop nearby keeps getting more and more trades. Noticed they had X-Treme X-Men. The name is putting me off though. Is it worth getting (I think they have 4 trades). Also a few mid-2000 Spiderman books. I know Slott is disliked in these parts but is Spiderman no good?

There's two different runs called X-Treme X-Men of very different relative qualities. The Greg Pak written version is dece.

Most people hate Dan Slott specifically because of his Spider-Man.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

There's two different runs called X-Treme X-Men of very different relative qualities. The Greg Pak written version is dece.

I think the ones they have are Claremont.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

I haven't read those because of opinions shared by people who have.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

To be fair to Dan Slott, his Fantastic Four is also bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cloks posted:

Yeah, but I think most of us hated before he even got that job.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cloks posted:

Hey now, so was his iron man

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

All Slott really has is half a good She Hulk run

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I seriously don't get why he's allowed to write such high profile poo poo. At least with Greg Land's lovely art you understand "well, we need 22 pages drawn by this time" and you know you'll get it in time, but according to that Disney doc Slott is constantly turning in scripts at the last minute, half the time Christos Gage needs to finish them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I like Arkham: Living Hell by Slott but that's the only thing I have read by him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

*RUN*

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Slott’s Silver Surfer Succeeds!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Yeah, I loved Slott's Silver Surfer (the Allreds had a lot to do with that) and most of his She-Hulk. But I haven't read his Spider-Man or FF.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
Hello, thread. I started looking at comics seriously for the first time recently. There are a few I've found and like a lot, but when I browse to find new titles, it's like a 0.1% hit rate for stuff I actually end up liking.

I've liked series with a consistent writer for a long run, ideally start-to-finish, and preferablty with consistent art: Gwenpool and Squirrel Girl by North, Sunstone and Harleen by Sejic, Transmetropolitan by Ellis, even a few of the more coherent Deadpool TPBs. Whenever I pivot to find more by a given writer, they usually have a ton of one off credits in long-running series, and I can't imagine dropping in for one issue of something then sticking with it while it violently jerks from tone to tone as writers shuffle through. Same when I try to follow a character to another writer/context.

I don't think I'd care about mainline Marvel/DC stuff like Avengers or whatever, and I definitely steer toward completed series over things trickling out monthly.

Been feeling kind of lost, just eeping by following writers to their other fully-authored series and getting burned 99% of the time I strike out on my own.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Stabby McDamage posted:

Hello, thread. I started looking at comics seriously for the first time recently. There are a few I've found and like a lot, but when I browse to find new titles, it's like a 0.1% hit rate for stuff I actually end up liking.

I've liked series with a consistent writer for a long run, ideally start-to-finish, and preferablty with consistent art: Gwenpool and Squirrel Girl by North, Sunstone and Harleen by Sejic, Transmetropolitan by Ellis, even a few of the more coherent Deadpool TPBs. Whenever I pivot to find more by a given writer, they usually have a ton of one off credits in long-running series, and I can't imagine dropping in for one issue of something then sticking with it while it violently jerks from tone to tone as writers shuffle through. Same when I try to follow a character to another writer/context.

I don't think I'd care about mainline Marvel/DC stuff like Avengers or whatever, and I definitely steer toward completed series over things trickling out monthly.

Been feeling kind of lost, just eeping by following writers to their other fully-authored series and getting burned 99% of the time I strike out on my own.

Not sure what specific genre you might like but I recommend Vertigo or Image titles if you want something with the same creative team throughout and all self contained. If there is something you specifically like thought, those imprints do carry diverse styles too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Seconding Image books.

If you liked Transmet, I’d tell you to check out Jonathan Hickman. East of West recently wrapped up and is like Americana mixed with a biblical apocalypse. Red Wing is a space sci-fi story. Nightly News about how media manufactures boogeymen.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Darwyn cooke and Dave Stewart's dc the new frontier
Burnham and Schoening's idw Ghostbusters
Mike carey and Peter gross' vertigo lucifer
Kate leth and Brittney williams' marvel hellcat
Marjorie liu and sana takeda's image Monstress isn't done yet but it's been the same team for all 33 issues
Kieron gillen and Jamie mckelvie's image the wicked and the divine
Kurt busiek and Brent Anderson's astro city..i think that's still at vertigo for now???
Jeff Smith's Bone, i don't actually know who publishes that
Ed piskor's Fantagraphics hip hop family tree

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

site posted:

Jeff Smith's Bone, i don't actually know who publishes that

Scholastic for the color books. I think Cartoon Books still self-publishes the b&w "phone book".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If I was to do specific titles I like Brian K Vaughan stuff a lot so you go with:
Y The Last Man (kind of explanatory in the title)
Paper Girls (think time travel mixed in with nostalgic 80s stuff)
Saga (still technically on going but is a solid sci fi space romp)

As for other Vertigo titles Gaiman's Sandman is a all time classic; Lucifer by Carrey and Gross is excellent about the Devil trying very hard to lead a normal life; Aaron's Scalped which is a gritty crime drama on a reservation; Azzerello's 100 Bullets which is a gritty crime mystery about a mysterious man who gives people a briefcase with 100 bullets and evidence about people who wronged them.

As for Image the above mentioned Saga and Paper Girls. Monstress is excellent and still on going though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Let's not recommend Saga for someone looking for a complete series when its current status is "on indefinite hiatus"

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I've been on a similar journey. Sandman is 100% an all time great. I loved Preacher and am currently going through The Boys and enjoying that (but not quite as much as the show).

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
Thanks, these are a lot of leads to dig into!

I thought about my question more after I posted it, and I think it boils down to "why can't these comics be more like books?", just because the medium is so different from any I'm used to. Excited to give these recommendations a shot!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Chin Strap posted:

I've been on a similar journey. Sandman is 100% an all time great. I loved Preacher and am currently going through The Boys and enjoying that (but not quite as much as the show).

Hitman would be worth checking out if you like those

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Site already mentioned it, but Lucifer is a must read for any fan of Sandman.

It's not the complete run (and honestly the ending kinda sucks), but the Ennis Hellblazer run has a beginning middle and end and doesn't require any previous knowledge of the book.

Edit, I meant the ending of Hellblazer in general, not the ending of Ennis run. The Ennis run works as a complete story.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 29, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Try Scalped.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Stabby McDamage posted:

I think it boils down to "why can't these comics be more like books?", just because the medium is so different from any I'm used to.

The mainstream of the medium operated as monthly installments about a character going on for decades, eventually expanding into shared universes. It wasn't designed to tell a story from beginning to end by a single authorial voice. It's like comparing a long running soap opera to a movie.

Stuff like Image comics and Vertigo still operates on the monthly schedule, which leads to longer collections and, depending on the project, switches in the creative team over time.

You can absolutely find single volume books designed that way from the beginning, but they are comparatively rare and generally put out by indie/book publishers. Two Brothers was the first thing to come to mind.
https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/28-766/Two-Brothers-HC

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think almost everything Fantagraphics publishes is either single volume graphic novels or work the way like a series of mystery novels with the same detective does.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I think almost everything Fantagraphics publishes is either single volume graphic novels or work the way like a series of mystery novels with the same detective does.

The only thing I really buy from Fantagraphics is Love and Rockets which is, like, the opposite of a one and done. :lol:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
First:Second also specialize in graphic novels (and I am going to be a snob here and differentiate between graphic novels and trades). So if you want a novel like item done in a comic book format (so something that is one volume, one and done, beginning middle and end in one book) check out stuff like Blankets, Bone single phonebook sized volume, Habibi, Contract with God, Maus, Andre the Giant, Palestine, Fun Home etc. If you want something that was from a run of single issues collected into one or more volumes then I recommend Vertigo or Image stuff for the reasons stated above. Vertigo has also published some one and done graphic novels as well (Cuba: My Revolution and Cairo are the ones that immediately comes to mind but I am sure there are more)

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Stabby McDamage posted:

A few more that haven't been mentioned yet, all of which are complete and collected:

Low
Sex Criminals
Punisher Max by Garth Ennis (various art teams but one writer)
Swamp Thing by Alan Moore (fairly consistent art team)
Black Hammer
The Cartoon History of the Universe
Silver Surfer by Slott/Allred
Akira
Nausicaä
Lone Wolf and Cub (28 volumes!)
Assassination Classroom

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Action Jacktion posted:

A few more that haven't been mentioned yet, all of which are complete and collected:

Low
Sex Criminals
Punisher Max by Garth Ennis (various art teams but one writer)
Swamp Thing by Alan Moore (fairly consistent art team)
Black Hammer
The Cartoon History of the Universe
Silver Surfer by Slott/Allred
Akira
Nausicaä
Lone Wolf and Cub (28 volumes!)
Assassination Classroom

Thanks! I didn't want to spam the thread with "thanks" over and over, but I am noting all this stuff and putting it in queue.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Stabby McDamage posted:

A few more I love that hopefully haven't been mentioned yet:

Starman by James Robinson, Tony Harris, and Peter Snejbjerg (a lot of it is out of print, but a new Omnibus is coming soon. It's my favorite comic series of all time.)
Daredevil (a lot of complete runs of high quality, but my favorite is by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev)
Sleeper by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips (starts with a 5-issue prequel miniseries called Point Blank, by Brubaker and Colin Wilson)
Chew by John Layman and Rob Guillory
Hawkeye by Matt Fraction, David Aja, and Annie Wu
Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber
Suicide Squad by John Ostrander (the biggest influence on the upcoming movie)
The Losers by Andy Diggle and Jock
G.I. Joe: Cobra: The Last Laugh by Christos Gage, Mike Costa, and Antonio Fuso
Mister Miracle by Tom King and Mitch Gerads
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen by Matt Fraction and Steve Lieber

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 2, 2021

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Starman by James Robinson, Tony Harris, and Peter Snejbjerg (a lot of it is out of print, but a new Omnibus is coming soon. It's my favorite comic series of all time.)

I wish they'd do oversized hardcovers or Absolutes instead of the paperback collecting 50+ issues they're releasing. I need to re-read Starman at some point though.

One more that I forgot on my list above is James Roberts's run on Transformers More than Meets the Eye and Lost Light. It crosses over with other books sometimes but is mainly self-contained.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Action Jacktion posted:

I wish they'd do oversized hardcovers or Absolutes instead of the paperback collecting 50+ issues they're releasing. I need to re-read Starman at some point though.

I have the collection in oversized hardcover...

Edit: I misremembered. They're regular sized hardcovers.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Action Jacktion posted:

One more that I forgot on my list above is James Roberts's run on Transformers More than Meets the Eye and Lost Light. It crosses over with other books sometimes but is mainly self-contained.

Absolutely. Best Transformers fiction of all time, not that there's much to challenge it. The only thing I have real nostalgia for is the 1986 Transformers: The Movie (not even the TV series that surrounded it), and I'll fully admit the movie ain't great. But Roberts' comics were so much better than they had any right to be. They're just drat good science fiction/adventure stories that cross into almost every other genre, from mystery to romance, from comedy to body horror.

But I think there is a chunk in the middle I've never read, because Hoopla skipped several volumes of MTMTE.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for the heads up about the Starman Omnibus! Snagged a preorder. Can’t wait! It’s also my favourite book of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hadji murad posted:

Thanks for the heads up about the Starman Omnibus! Snagged a preorder. Can’t wait! It’s also my favourite book of all time.

Nice! I had all the singles, so I had them bound into four custom hardcover volumes over a decade ago. Unfortunately that means Starman #81 wasn't included.