Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, dude. Spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
How bout we talk about Liu Bei, accidental cannibal (but wasn't actually mad when he found out he was fed human flesh)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guan Yu: The man who loved himself more than anyone else in the world

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I wonder how many dogs ended up being sacrificed in the name of friendship.

Also He Man only lasts one paragraph.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Most of what I know about the Three Kingdoms is that YGO has an archetype devoted to it, and the Lu Bu-proxy card will betray its user if their opponent controls a stronger monster. Which sounds appropriate.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The history counterpart to "Do not pursue Lu Bu" was 100% "Do not trust Lu Bu under any circumstances"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Really it's just best to avoid Lu Bu entirely

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Hey guys. I'm new to this whole series. In which order should I romance the kingdoms if I want to get the whole story?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Solar Tornado posted:

Hey guys. I'm new to this whole series. In which order should I romance the kingdoms if I want to get the whole story?

You have to go for the harem route and romance all 3 kingdoms at once to get the full story.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Solar Tornado posted:

Best intro is probably the 2010 TV series which is available on youtube with English subtitles.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Solar Tornado posted:

Start with the original Romance/Three Kingdoms on the Liu Bei route. Anyone who says to start on Romance/Zero is wrong; you can jump on either that or Unlimited Wei Works once you're done.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

a youtube series where i review every three kingdoms general

I keep clicking but the video isn't coming up.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I prefer the classical era adaptation, Romance of the Three Emperors

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is that the new canon? Because that is dumb. Old canon was that Palpatine fostered rivalry and encouraged backstabbing in the Empire as a form of social darwinism to root out weaklings and when he collapsed the most ambitious and talented admirals turned warlord and carved out their own territory while the Empire proper suffered multiple rebellions as every pissant captain with a star destroyer wanted their own turf.

I figured it was both. Sheev forcing it up was what kept that gong show from flying apart.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

StratGoatCom posted:

I figured it was both. Sheev forcing it up was what kept that gong show from flying apart.

lmao "sheev"

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is that the new canon? Because that is dumb. Old canon was that Palpatine fostered rivalry and encouraged backstabbing in the Empire as a form of social darwinism to root out weaklings and when he collapsed the most ambitious and talented admirals turned warlord and carved out their own territory while the Empire proper suffered multiple rebellions as every pissant captain with a star destroyer wanted their own turf.

The battle meditation stuff is from the beginning of Thrawn's first appearance in the old eu. This is also the stated reason why Thrawn was interested in recruiting the clone of the mad Jedi wizard so he can make the most of what ships he has. This is possibly the weakest part of his overall plans and his reluctance to cut the wizard out despite constant signs of betrayal and sabotage is a sign that Thrawn isn't infallible and is in fact pretty desperate. Its not the strongest plot point, though it serves to expand the force and the Jedi (and clones) from what we saw in the films. Though I wouldn't be surprised if "battle meditation" was put there to explain away why that massive fleet would lose and give up even though they had their enemy on the ropes, until the death star blew up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean they blew up up death star and killed the emperor. You have to do both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAOX_CHU0JY

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
People were bringing up the lack of decent Anime Youtubers so I want to namedrop Noralities, whose channel appeared recently. She does that thing where she uses a cartoon avatar of herself in her videos, but her content is the exact opposite of the people who usually do that sort of thing. Here are some of my favorites from her

Dr. Stone vs The Ascendance of a Bookworm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6fghPHF3Zc

I'm Tired of Isekai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4V3vEleTyE

her gushing about Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-qOjBCQhA

I know that they aren't active on Youtube anymore, but what do people think of Pedantic Romantic and Zeria? I really liked the latter's video on Kemono Friends' sudden rise and fall in popularity

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Gonna take this opportunity to plug KaiserBeamz. He reviews old 80's anime and gives backstory on their production.

Dangaioh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MecaxnSl_Vw

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It was pretty hosed up that one time when Cao Cao stayed at his uncles (?) place and killed his entire family.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wu gang rise up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, she only managed to make a dozen videos before having to take a logn hiatus due to work, but https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi0ZunSQk5WUur4N-nZtNa_PytezNTdvo ErynCerise has a nice retrospective on a bunch of early magical girl stuff if you're interested in the history of the genre. It's pretty interesting to see how it was basically molded into being by one studio in order to fill a timeslot that happened to be popular with young girls.

Yardbomb posted:

Wu got the most raw deal at every turn and it makes me sad, Sun Jian dies to a stray arrow from a routed army, Sun Ce gets sick and dies from it while on the march, Sun Quan develops early dementia or whatever it actually was that melted his brains as bad as they were, just poo poo man.
Combination of mild early dementia and extreme depression I'd say. There's a lot of descriptions of him just not wanting to bother with anything or even wanting to bother thinking too hard, too. It makes sense when you realize that pretty much everyone he'd cared about and grew up with had croaked by that point. Honestly, Sun Quan's probably one of the more interesting figures of the period, it's a shame most adaptations are the Shu and Wei show.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 27, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I miss Jacob Chapman's stuff. Had a real good Evangelion video, also one on Trigun. I think he was the one doing the deep Digimon dive, too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I miss Jacob Chapman's stuff. Had a real good Evangelion video, also one on Trigun. I think he was the one doing the deep Digimon dive, too.

He has been doing a few things lately under a different channel name, in case you haven't seen it https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1pW0V7t7AP29xa_f1G4yqw

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

MiddleOne posted:

It was pretty hosed up that one time when Cao Cao stayed at his uncles (?) place and killed his entire family.

'Romance of the Three Kingdoms but set in the modern day and on social media' is such a bad idea that is nonetheless amusing me that I hope someone has done it already. 'Better to cancel a thousand followers on twitter,' said Cao Cao, 'than to risk one attempting to cancel me.'

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What's Eugenics Bob been up to lately? Haven't seen him embarrass himself catastrophically in a while which is new.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Katt posted:

What's Eugenics Bob been up to lately? Haven't seen him embarrass himself catastrophically in a while which is new.

He's doing poo poo with loving game theory

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1387090022126526465

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

Combination of mild early dementia and extreme depression I'd say. There's a lot of descriptions of him just not wanting to bother with anything or even wanting to bother thinking too hard, too. It makes sense when you realize that pretty much everyone he'd cared about and grew up with had croaked by that point. Honestly, Sun Quan's probably one of the more interesting figures of the period, it's a shame most adaptations are the Shu and Wei show.

realtalk its because ROTK is Shu-Han propaganda written hundreds of years after the fact so Wu mostly just exists in it as "these guys who were cool and helped Shu at Chi Bi and Liu Bei married their princess but then they got all buttmad about Guan Yu occupying one of their territories so they betrayed us >:("

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

let me know when you find a vtuber clip that isn't loud=funny or "I'm acting vewy cutesy uwu"

Subaru's generally a good laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NYnT6wVLIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf6Q_xm25ys&t=173s

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
JonTron uploaded his video for the year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1EmqGSeisg

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Please do not post videos by white supremacists.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Lotus Aura posted:

I also stopped watching his video on the Horimiya anime once it became abundantly clear he wasn't going to address the way the source material repeatedly uses domestic abuse as a punch line.
it's more of a sadist kink thing and it fair to find that offputting.

e; unless you mean the presence of comic anime violence which I think crops up a few times? that'll never go away sadly.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 27, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paladin posted:

'Romance of the Three Kingdoms but set in the modern day and on social media' is such a bad idea that is nonetheless amusing me that I hope someone has done it already. 'Better to cancel a thousand followers on twitter,' said Cao Cao, 'than to risk one attempting to cancel me.'
i think i remember hearing about a korean webcomic that's three kingdoms but with social media posts? like its still set in the feudal era, and about war and mostly follows history but everyone tweets on the side.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think i remember hearing about a korean webcomic that's three kingdoms but with social media posts? like its still set in the feudal era, and about war and mostly follows history but everyone tweets on the side.

zhuge liang in the replies of every single sima yi tweet just saying "lmao bitch"

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

I started watching One Pace and also playing One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3. I've previously read the manga a bit up to like timeskip or something.

It's very funny in the game how they have to sort of shift the chronology around in order to have enough antagonists that show up. Like in orange town arc alvida shows up in her post devil fruit appearance because otherwise the only hero enemy would be buggy.

Also watching the show I'm like... This is the ABRIDGED version?? Spending an hour in syrup village arc, a solid like 5 minutes of usopp shouting like yeah I get it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s a old people product and belongs in a tomb

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

since the One Pace guys can't exactly draw new scenes or rerecord dialogue I'd imagine there's a hard limit on what they're able to trim down without cutting any connective tissue.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Augus posted:

since the One Pace guys can't exactly draw new scenes or rerecord dialogue I'd imagine there's a hard limit on what they're able to trim down without cutting any connective tissue.

That's definitely true, so really it's just juxtaposing the game and the show. In the game ussop builds barracades at all the entrances and you run around fending them off, in one pace (and I'm specifically talking about one pace, yknow maybe they cut out the scene where usopp is good) he's like ah two barrels of oil this should prevent all pirates. Ah poo poo what do you mean they're at the identical ramp like 3 minutes away.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

does one pace even make significant changes to the earlier episodes? i know it's pretty late in the show that people started complaining hardcore about the pacing (like, one manga chapter per episode pacing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwen posted:

it's more of a sadist kink thing and it fair to find that offputting.

e; unless you mean the presence of comic anime violence which I think crops up a few times? that'll never go away sadly.

If only one person consents it's not a kink it's abuse lol