Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Let's start a compilation of El's thousand yard stare

Lynn seems to draw her mugging straight at the viewer quite often too

Nancy 1946

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

readingatwork posted:

]

Robbie and Bobby

That loving bird kills me every time, it's one of the funniest things ever posted in these threads.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I have so much hate.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Love that gull.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

The Good Innvandrer

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Alhazred posted:

Pondus

The Good Innvandrer

Pondus sucks, but TGI's really nice.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Uh-oh, the Dinky Fellas are in for a rough time. :ohdear:

The Family Circus

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Compu-Toon

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 10, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Dec. 10, 1944)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Wallace is so wonderful, avatar for anyone who wants it.

Moomin and the Comet

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the Comet

Isn't this how the first Mad Max started?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

SubNat posted:

Wallace is so wonderful, avatar for anyone who wants it.

That's certainly tempting, although it might infuriate whoever bought me that ragetar that got removed after only a couple of days.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Couldn't resist reading Luann in advance and now I'm mad, and mad at myself for touching this hot stove.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
drat it, so did I.
It's dumb! Super dumb!

jesus what a toolbox

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Pondus sucks

Norway's most popular comic strip.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

riderchop posted:

Couldn't resist reading Luann in advance and now I'm mad, and mad at myself for touching this hot stove.

El Spamo posted:

drat it, so did I.
It's dumb! Super dumb!

jesus what a toolbox

I hate you both for inspiring me to do the same and my god what a loving weenie

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Well I for one refuse to read Luann. Until it's posted. At which point I'm sure I'll be annoyed just like everyone else.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Alhazred posted:

Norway's most popular comic strip.

Oh dear, oh dear.

In today's Blueberry: Quanah must be working very hard to keep a straight face, or The convoy gets that sinking feeling..., or It never rains, but it pours...

Samovar fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 28, 2021

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Medenmath posted:

Snorkmaiden is incredibly jealous right about now.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Medenmath posted:

I really want the bottom left panel as a poster.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (February 8, 1992)

It's early 1992, and Lauri Ala-Mämmilä is worried about Finland's future and independence as part of the EU. He refers to UKK, Urho Kaleva Kekkonen, a longtime Finnish president who famously invited foreign dignitaries to sauna, where political matters were discussed and decided. YYA was Ystävyys-, yhteistyö- ja avunantosopimus, a 1948 treaty that formed the basis of Finno-Soviet relations until 1992. As for EU, a referendum on joining was held in October of 1994 with 56.9% of the voters supporting membership.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (February 8, 1992)

It's early 1992, and Lauri Ala-Mämmilä is worried about Finland's future and independence as part of the EU. He refers to UKK, Urho Kaleva Kekkonen, a longtime Finnish president who famously invited foreign dignitaries to sauna, where political matters were discussed and decided. YYA was Ystävyys-, yhteistyö- ja avunantosopimus, a 1948 treaty that formed the basis of Finno-Soviet relations until 1992. As for EU, a referendum on joining was held in October of 1994 with 56.9% of the voters supporting membership.

The thing I love most about this comic is that all the big-talking turbo-patriot Finns flee from the too hot sauna, while Mukku just calmly stays there to carry on the conversation.

Believe it or not, but "I can sit in a hotter sauna than you" is a big thing in dumb Finnish dick waving contests.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #138 (1992)

The headline is about Dan Quayle's controversial remarks about the sitcom Murphy Brown, which had the main character become a single mom in 1992. During a May 19, 1992 speech Quayle criticized the arc for diminishing the importance of fathers and somehow eroding family values. As you might imagine it was a dumb speech that many people disliked.

An interesting contrast that has been kind of floating for awhile now comes to the foreground in this one. Harriet gets mad at Mo for her overbearing emphasis on personal lifestyle decisions, but Harriet is the one super busy with committees, organizing, and activism work. Mo really doesn't come out of the break-up looking great-- one of several points in DtWOF where Bechdel kind of seems to position Mo as a cautionary figure, whose rigidity and binaristic thinking is a big flaw (literally, later, when Mo is flummoxed and hostile towards bisexuality as a concept). Or, perhaps, somebody who's pessimism and despair prevents her from making positive and constructive change in her own world, something which would grate against the very very proactive and pragmatic Harriet. Not that going to endless committees necessarily gets a ton done all the time, but you know, at least she's getting out of the house. We sort of see this build up over the course of the strip, structurally-- Mo working at the shop or hanging out, while the supporting characters come and go from various events and actions, which imo becomes more pointed and poignant as they all march towards middle age together. Anyway I was quite a Mo in my twenties-- and even now sometimes my wife will look at me rambling about something and go "ok, Mo"-- and it is good to get out of that anxiety rut. In my opinion Harriet never stops being a fairly sympathetic character, even as she kind of fades into the background a bit.

Anyway: surprise!

Batman (11/18/1989)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
CRIME ALLEY

CATS

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Medenmath posted:

Pretty rare to see a ~Romantic Abduction~ and be "Hell yeah!" rather than :yikes: (still better not think about it too much)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

The joke is that I've heard from more than one person who had giant, unmissable pronoun shirts/masks/etc and they still got misgendered. :smith:

No wonder he failed, he doesn't have a lovely walmart stroller or anything!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

College Arlo has certifiable Doonesbury energy.

Hel posted:

I really want the bottom left panel as a poster.

:same:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #138 (1992)

The headline is about Dan Quayle's controversial remarks about the sitcom Murphy Brown, which had the main character become a single mom in 1992. During a May 19, 1992 speech Quayle criticized the arc for diminishing the importance of fathers and somehow eroding family values. As you might imagine it was a dumb speech that many people disliked.

An interesting contrast that has been kind of floating for awhile now comes to the foreground in this one. Harriet gets mad at Mo for her overbearing emphasis on personal lifestyle decisions, but Harriet is the one super busy with committees, organizing, and activism work. Mo really doesn't come out of the break-up looking great-- one of several points in DtWOF where Bechdel kind of seems to position Mo as a cautionary figure, whose rigidity and binaristic thinking is a big flaw (literally, later, when Mo is flummoxed and hostile towards bisexuality as a concept). Or, perhaps, somebody who's pessimism and despair prevents her from making positive and constructive change in her own world, something which would grate against the very very proactive and pragmatic Harriet. Not that going to endless committees necessarily gets a ton done all the time, but you know, at least she's getting out of the house. We sort of see this build up over the course of the strip, structurally-- Mo working at the shop or hanging out, while the supporting characters come and go from various events and actions, which imo becomes more pointed and poignant as they all march towards middle age together. Anyway I was quite a Mo in my twenties-- and even now sometimes my wife will look at me rambling about something and go "ok, Mo"-- and it is good to get out of that anxiety rut. In my opinion Harriet never stops being a fairly sympathetic character, even as she kind of fades into the background a bit.

I like how Mo's petting her cat in the first two panels, as if she's trying to draw some comfort during this breakup conversation. The comic's given plenty examples of Mo being tiring to be around with, so I wish Harriet the best here. And maybe it's just me, but it's rare to have a comic feel like it blames most of the breakup on the protagonist while still portraying their love interest in a sympathetic light.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Getting pretty risqué.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Jesus there's like a dozen scones there! Nobody eats that many scones! This lady is either feeding an entire cricket team or she hiding something under that pile of bone-dry flour wedges.

quote:

Apartment 3-G

Apparently the ability to remove his clothes before going to bed also fell out of his sieve. At least take the belt off, what's wrong with you?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wait.... does Grote rhyme with Potty? and Not like, wrote

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Bloop posted:

wait.... does Grote rhyme with Potty? and Not like, wrote

No, but Lottie does.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Also, they're in England, so I guess all rules of expected English pronunciation are out the window.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yvonmukluk posted:

No, but Lottie does.

oh,,,, derp yeah ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Also, they're in England, so I guess all rules of expected English pronunciation are out the window.
Potty Ghoti