Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shoehead posted:

I dunno what this room where I can't run wants from me, I end up pushing the stick just a skoutch too far and I start jogging.

You could hold down block, or simply use your normal attack combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or just jump

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shoehead posted:

I dunno what this room where I can't run wants from me, I end up pushing the stick just a skoutch too far and I start jogging.

pro tip: if you attack the blocks they'll disappear and you can move faster by attacking.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

I suppose Automata was kind of like that too, Route A is very normal except for the whole fake out on the aliens all being dead.

We might have a different definition of that word. Route A of Automata is more normal than the rest of the game, but it’s still absolutely batshit compared to Replicant Route A.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Shoehead posted:

Just keep in mind swinging your sword moves you forward without counting as running, that the projectiles can be hit with your sword, and the blocks that shoot you can be killed.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
You can also just stand on the boxes shooting the orbs and that makes them break. I accidentally skipped a few of those rooms' gimmicks because you can just ignore them.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Finished all the endings and now there’s just a bunch of material grinding to get the weapon trophies.

Do I really want to do this to myself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thets definitely only 50% of sidequests in part 1 this time right?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah I was definitely doing this room the hard way, thanks everyone

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Thets definitely only 50% of sidequests in part 1 this time right?

That's what people have been saying.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I gotta say I was a bit disappointed with Replicant - I had expected it to be more batshit, but since I've already played through Automata, nothing really stood out as that WTF worthy.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ymgve posted:

I gotta say I was a bit disappointed with Replicant - I had expected it to be more batshit, but since I've already played through Automata, nothing really stood out as that WTF worthy.

You gotta look at what else was around at its original time of release, Final Fantasy 13 came from that time so it was regarded as the weird sister game.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

Same kind of, but the character stuff made it worth it for me. I love 2B, Nines, Pascal, etc, but I definitely felt a stronger connection to Kainé and Emil especially.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

We might have a different definition of that word. Route A of Automata is more normal than the rest of the game, but it’s still absolutely batshit compared to Replicant Route A.

Yeah. It starts with a rapidly genre-shifting half-hour mission with no save points and a unique ending for when you fail, goes to a robo-orgy, and then just where most games start having the "is the enemy really the enemy" scenes, Automata skips straight to having Machines running an amusement park and throwing you a friendly parade.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Replicant has better characters and a better more consistent story, but Automata has better reveals

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think Replicant gets screwed over a little bit by Automata in hindsight. Automata hits you over the head with weird immediately and then goes into the more grounded, human parts of the story, while Replicant is the other way around. When Nier first came out, we had no idea what to expect and figured it was just some JRPG, so the surprise fuckery was a lot more effective. But these days, everyone knows Yoko Taro well, and is immediately on the hunt for the batshit crazy.

Replicant also leaves a lot for the player to investigate outside of the game itself via supplemental material, references in other games, etc. Replicant is also a lot weirder as a game rather than as a story - Automata is very similar throughout, while Replicant dips into a handful of genres.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 27, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. It starts with a rapidly genre-shifting half-hour mission with no save points and a unique ending for when you fail, goes to a robo-orgy, and then just where most games start having the "is the enemy really the enemy" scenes, Automata skips straight to having Machines running an amusement park and throwing you a friendly parade.

Man the opening hours of Automata are really fuckin memorable

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

hatty posted:

Replicant has better characters and a better more consistent story, but Automata has better reveals

Eh disagree, Neir has a lot of the more esoteric Taro stuff that Automata thankfully cut which streamlined the story in a way the remake should have copied

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh disagree, Neir has a lot of the more esoteric Taro stuff that Automata thankfully cut which streamlined the story in a way the remake should have copied

:laffo: No way, I wouldn’t want them to cut anything other than the tedium/repetitive parts. What would they cut from Replicant otherwise?

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Great, 90 minutes into Nier Replicant on a PC and my controller stopped working. I fiddled with steam game properties to no avail.
I have a feeling I will have to pull the refund button on this thing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Replicant also leaves a lot for the player to investigate outside of the game itself via supplemental material, references in other games, etc.

I love this about it but I do wish there was a BIT more in the game itself. It’s like someone earlier was saying how they wish there was more context for the game’s opening sequence, and there IS - tons of it - but it’s almost all in the book, even though it would have been good to include in the game and imo would have made Shadowlord a better villain

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pollyanna posted:

:laffo: No way, I wouldn’t want them to cut anything other than the tedium/repetitive parts. What would they cut from Replicant otherwise?

Yea that’s the parts to cut. You can’t just ignore them for consistency it 100% effects the story

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Escobarbarian posted:

I love this about it but I do wish there was a BIT more in the game itself. It’s like someone earlier was saying how they wish there was more context for the game’s opening sequence, and there IS - tons of it - but it’s almost all in the book, even though it would have been good to include in the game and imo would have made Shadowlord a better villain

Shadowlord isn’t the villain, you are.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrakePegasus posted:

You’re right. I should have said ’make Shadowlord’s arc more emotional’ or some such thing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DrakePegasus posted:

I always take it as both are extreme gently caress ups.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CharlesTheHammer" posted:

Yea that’s the parts to cut. You can’t just ignore them for consistency it 100% effects the story

Honestly the stuff I’d cut out boils down to travel by foot/boar (ie fast travel), half of Junk Heap, the second visit to the Lost Shrine, and the lead up to the new chapter. The sidequests and weapon upgrading can just be ignored, they were never good and whatever point they were trying to make isn’t interesting anymore.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Putrid Grin posted:

Great, 90 minutes into Nier Replicant on a PC and my controller stopped working. I fiddled with steam game properties to no avail.
I have a feeling I will have to pull the refund button on this thing.

Are you using the Special K mod? Apparently there's something fucky going on with PS4 controllers specifically and the mod has some fixes in it to fix it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

DrakePegasus posted:

To be fair, the Shadowlord does sic giant monster-shades on innocent townspeople as a distraction, and his plan to un-gestalt Yonah and himself would leave the world without a stable source of maso just as well as Nier killing him. You're both villains!

Which reminds me, apparently early drafts had the king of Facade as the hero? Which is why he's probably the most straightforwardly good person, even if the wolves were only pissed because his soldiers started genociding them first

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

It's this. They're literally the same person. They both screwed over the rest of the world through their actions and both turned a blind eye to the obvious suffering they were causing because they just weren't interested in the feelings of a "monster".

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DrakePegasus posted:

I mean, it doesn’t really matter. Based on Ending A, all the rejoined humans would just dissolve in the sunlight anyway, that or at least go insane from hearing some scared and panicked motherfucker in their head all the time Kainé-style. There’s no victory in this game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Pollyanna posted:

Replicant also leaves a lot for the player to investigate outside of the game itself via supplemental material, references in other games, etc. Replicant is also a lot weirder as a game rather than as a story - Automata is very similar throughout, while Replicant dips into a handful of genres.

Hell, just the whole loving origin story of the NieR universe being the aftermath of the joke ending of a different game is pretty nuts.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, Replicant is a lot more interesting than Automata and has a much better setting and worldbuilding. It’s also creative and experimental, whereas Automata sticks to one specific concept (and to its credit does it pretty well even if I preferred Replicant).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pollyanna posted:

I mean, it doesn’t really matter. Based on Ending A, all the rejoined humans would just dissolve in the sunlight anyway, that or at least go insane from hearing some scared and panicked motherfucker in their head all the time Kainé-style. There’s no victory in this game.

I figure Gestalt-Yonah abdicated Replicant-Yonah's body out of guilt so if she did settle into her Replicant, she probably could have basked in the sunlight just fine. You're probably right that the Replicant consciousnesses would make the Gestalts freak the gently caress out though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mega64 posted:

Hell, just the whole loving origin story of the NieR universe being the aftermath of the joke ending of a different game is pretty nuts.

The entire reason that Nier’s backstory is so compelling is because of how much work went into exploring the natural ramifications and consequences of haha eldritch salt monster from another dimension go brrrr and using it to build the setting for a story that doesn’t beat you over the head and allows the world to speak for itself. It’s genuinely great and one of the best examples of storytelling I can point to.

ChaosArgate posted:

I figure Gestalt-Yonah abdicated Replicant-Yonah's body out of guilt so if she did settle into her Replicant, she probably could have basked in the sunlight just fine. You're probably right that the Replicant consciousnesses would make the Gestalts freak the gently caress out though.

Good point. I guess I misinterpreted that scene, though I suppose I should have looked to Kaine as a counterexample.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 27, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

Good point. I guess I misinterpreted that scene, though I suppose I should have looked to Kaine as a counterexample.

Yeah what's important in that scene is that Gestalt Yonah literally kills herself because once she is merged with her Replicant, all she can feel is the misery that was caused in the name of her happiness. What Shadowlord was trying to do was not noble or good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Augus posted:

Yeah what's important in that scene is that Gestalt Yonah literally kills herself because once she is merged with her Replicant, all she can feel is the misery that was caused in the name of her happiness. What Shadowlord was trying to do was not noble or good.

I think the best villain we can pinpoint is whoever came up with the concept of Gestalts and Replicants in the first place, but even then I think it was out of desperation and self-preservation rather than malice. Maybe the Mother Grotesquerie...if it has any intelligence. Caim, definitely.

Remind me again why they couldn’t just put Gestalts into androids instead?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, Replicant is a lot more interesting than Automata and has a much better setting and worldbuilding. It’s also creative and experimental, whereas Automata sticks to one specific concept (and to its credit does it pretty well even if I preferred Replicant).

Eh Replicant at its heart is a pretty standard dark fantasy story.

I haven’t read the extended universe stuff so I can only say the worldbuilding in game but it’s fine? Nothing spectacular

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

:same: Devola and Popola are both tired and overworked middle managers caught between a catastrophic slapfight between two idiots. Devola and Popola Did Nothing Wrong.

Pollyanna posted:

I think the best villain we can pinpoint is whoever came up with the concept of Gestalts and Replicants in the first place, but even then I think it was out of desperation and self-preservation rather than malice. Maybe the Mother Grotesquerie...if it has any intelligence. Caim, definitely.

Remind me again why they couldn’t just put Gestalts into androids instead?

While there were some questionable experiments to get to where it did, the Gestalt Program was basically a hail mary pass from the remaining humans before the Maso wiped everyone out so it's definitely born from desperation and self-preservation. If you trace it all back to D1, then it's Seere's fault for killing Manah and causing the Watchers to flip the gently caress out and spawn the Mother Grotesquerie and the baby munchers.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

amigolupus posted:

While there were some questionable experiments to get to where it did, the Gestalt Program was basically a hail mary pass from the remaining humans before the Maso wiped everyone out so it's definitely born from desperation and self-preservation. If you trace it all back to D1, then it's Seere's fault for killing Manah and causing the Watchers to flip the gently caress out and spawn the Mother Grotesquerie and the baby munchers.
God dammit Seere, you useless bastard :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

:same: Devola and Popola are both tired and overworked middle managers caught between a catastrophic slapfight between two idiots. Devola and Popola Did Nothing Wrong.

Maybe Popola gets some blame for either coming up or telling the whole thing about needing to go defeat grimoire Noir as I feel the whole process would have gone better if it was framed as getting enough power to properly reunite the two and fixing everything. On that note Noir definitely should be blamed for acting like such a bastard.