Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

xtal posted:

Decentralized currency: A reliable investment. Solid. Dependable.

Decentralized encyclopedia: Unreliable articles. Untrustworthy. Heavily biased.

If you check the talk page for Wikipedia's Tether article, you can easily see that pro-coiners attempted to influence the article. Their content was removed because they failed to provide reliable sources for their claims. Feel free to find some reliable pro-coin sources to help them out. That can't be too difficult for a master hacker such as yourself, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Uh, I don't think Wikipedia is decentralized

Edit: actually every part of your post is wrong but that's the part that stood out to me first

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

xtal posted:

Edit: actually every part of your post is wrong but that's the part that stood out to me first

So reliable pro-coin sources are too difficult for you to find?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What are you even asking me for? In case you missed my point, I'm alluding to the Wikipedia editor who posts in this thread. Not exactly wild speculation.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Also Jimmy Wales is an objectivist. But I guess you can overlook that when you're at the top of the ladder.

xtal fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 27, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

xtal posted:

Also Jimmy Wales is an objectivist. But I guess you can overlook that when you're at the top of the ladder.

You're like a real life version of the "you participate in society" comic

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

xtal posted:

What are you even asking me for? In case you missed my point, I'm alluding to the Wikipedia editor who posts in this thread. Not exactly wild speculation.

Yes, his name is all over the comments on the discussion page. In case you missed my point (no one cares about yours), if any pro-coin Wiki editors wanted to change the article to present what they and apparently you would consider to be a more neutral article, all they have to do is base their contributions on reliable sources. Mysteriously, they can't seem to come up with any. If you find the article problematic, feel free to contribute.

I watched a similar situation play out a few years ago on the Wiki article on Morgellon's, between some very enthusiastic folks who thought it was a real disease and several editors who repeatedly tried to explain to them that their sources were garbage.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 27, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't even read the article history so it's actually super funny that my post, where all I said was "this was probably written by a goon" ended up being true. Lol.

Edit: snipped some stuff that is uncomfortably close to offsite drama.

xtal fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 27, 2021

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

xtal posted:

Uh, I don't think Wikipedia is decentralized

I'm distinctly disappointed you didn't call them a nocoiner. That's incredible restraint for you

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Tether being supposedly backed by USD I can understand (although I'm unclear as to if you can actually cash out USDT for dollars and from whom).

What perplexes me is how Tether supposedly backs Bitcoin. Is it the idea that you can hypothetically swap BTC for USDT and then cash out? Or something else?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Bright Bart posted:

Tether being supposedly backed by USD I can understand (although I'm unclear as to if you can actually cash out USDT for dollars and from whom).

What perplexes me is how Tether supposedly backs Bitcoin. Is it the idea that you can hypothetically swap BTC for USDT and then cash out? Or something else?

It works in one direction, but the other way has yet to be determined

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

Everything works until lots of people start trying to change large amounts of bitcoin into cash in the exchanges.

The exchanges are going to have to tell them they don’t have the cash but you can have tons of tether.

😂

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Tether is essentially serving the purpose that fractional reserve banking serves for real currencies. You need a lot of liquidity in a financial system to keep it functioning. Most banks are able to operate with only a fraction of the total amount of deposits on their books actually in their vaults, and they can use the rest to make loans and provide finance to other entities (who need the money to grow their various enterprises).

Since cryptocurrency in general and bitcoin in particular were conceived in a pool of libertarian brainworms, the very notion of fractional reserve banking is anathema to them and no exchange would be able to do it without freaking out the true believers and causing them to abandon it. The true believers want every single cent in their exchange accounts to actually exist in the exchange's bank account. How do you achieve this and have a workable business (especially in the early days of crypto, when there still wasn't a lot of liquidity in the market)? You run the tether printer. Now the exchange can multiply the power of the USD in its bank account, by making purchase with USDT that will raise the price of crypto in USD.

It's a scam, but it seems to have worked. At this point there is an obscene amount of tether out there, but the scam hasn't collapsed yet. Also, there is now enough actual real-USD liquidity in the crypto market that tether is no longer as critical to the pricing as it used to be.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'll make a stablecoin you can buy for 1 USD but the button to sell it back on the exchange will just be a dead link.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Lol $100m of Tesla's $400m profit in Q1 was from selling bitcoins after Elon pumped it in January.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

blunt posted:

Lol $100m of Tesla's $400m profit in Q1 was from selling bitcoins after Elon pumped it in January.

That's hilarious.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Literally nothing could make me happier than a TSLA quarterly earnings report indicating that they would have been profitable but for a dive in crypto prices

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Hammerite posted:

roko's modern basilisk
I HATE BALONEY

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mad Dragon posted:

NM... it's still there..... :ughh: These are the same people who think constantly posting links to their MLM bullshit is "muh hustle".

People who cannot spell “you’re” or “you” in the middle of giving investment advice maybe are not the folks giving investment advice you should listen to.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

your just jealous, stupid hater nocoiner

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

DerekSmartymans posted:

People who cannot spell “you’re” or “you” in the middle of giving investment advice maybe are not the folks giving investment advice you should listen to.

time is money and I ain't got time to spel corect words

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ccs posted:

Haha yeah the Tether wikipedia article is a greatest hits of all the ways it has hosed up.

I dunno, the “auditing” process, explained by a financial goon to us laypersons was even better. I mean who have you known to laugh at an audit?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hello Sailor posted:

Yes, his name is all over the comments on the discussion page. In case you missed my point (no one cares about yours), if any pro-coin Wiki editors wanted to change the article to present what they and apparently you would consider to be a more neutral article, all they have to do is base their contributions on reliable sources. Mysteriously, they can't seem to come up with any. If you find the article problematic, feel free to contribute.

I watched a similar situation play out a few years ago on the Wiki article on Morgellon's, between some very enthusiastic folks who thought it was a real disease and several editors who repeatedly tried to explain to them that their sources were garbage.

Morgellon’s By Proxy would be a cool antivaxxer’s Username.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Don't forget that, for a long time, Bernie Madoff (and his supporters) pointed to how quickly people would get checks when withdrawing as a source of legitimacy. It was only when a lot more people were withdrawing money that the whole thing imploded.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I don’t see what anyone’s worried about I’m sure you’ll be able to cash out all of your bitcoin for tether.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Decentralize my rear end. Right into the toilet.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I still want to know where the money is coming from that is supposedly backing tether. Maybe I'm missing a piece of the puzzle, but if there's 50 billion in tether then shouldn't there be 50 billion sitting in a bank account somewhere earning .001% interest? Seems like a good use for that money.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

InternetJunky posted:

I still want to know where the money is coming from that is supposedly backing tether. Maybe I'm missing a piece of the puzzle, but if there's 50 billion in tether then shouldn't there be 50 billion sitting in a bank account somewhere earning .001% interest? Seems like a good use for that money.

No, scroll up. Most of it is dollars owed to tether by crypto-adjacent companies they loaned tether to.

The dollars didn't exist in the first place, but they theoretically will if everyone tether loaned out is paid back

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 28, 2021

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Andy Dufresne posted:

No, scroll up. Most of it is dollars owed to tether by crypto-adjacent companies they loaned tether to.

The dollars didn't exist in the first place, but they theoretically will if everyone tether loaned out is paid back

I mean they’re only printing like 5 billion Tether a month.

Im sure its legit.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Valasquez posted:

You're like a real life version of the "you participate in society" comic

That's a bit of an understatement or an oversimplification. Put simply it just seems weird to me to hate libertarians so much and then spend a lot of time working for one for free. It leaves you to speculate why, because I won't.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

xtal posted:

That's a bit of an understatement or an oversimplification. Put simply it just seems weird to me to hate libertarians so much and then spend a lot of time working for one for free. It leaves you to speculate why, because I won't.

So we do live in a society, huh, really makes you think.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Paladinus posted:

really makes you think.
nah he doesn't want to do that

Diet Coke Can
Jul 25, 2004
If I wanted to buy $5000 worth of Bitcoin, which ones should I get

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Get Bitcoiin2gen, how can a currency promoted by Steven Seagal fail to give profits?

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Diet Coke Can posted:

If I wanted to buy $5000 worth of Bitcoin, which ones should I get

Only buy unwashed buttcoins. You need to be able to smell them.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol at calling your dodgy coin company explicitly designed to be as murky as possible “Bitcoin Fog”

https://www.wired.com/story/bitcoin-fog-dark-web-cryptocurrency-arrest/

With of course the added lol that it actually wasn’t murky at all

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 28, 2021

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

xtal posted:

Hahaha they call them shares

They are shares! Shares... of the future.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

Banks charge negative interest for anything over like 100k. You would have to invest to get any return or you're losing money.

Would be p lol if the (non-existent) tether dollars are bound up in normal investment vehicles like ETF's and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
If tether literally leverages existing interest bearing sites, they could be compounding far above 20-60% annually on tether. Especially if they are diversifying, if you look at things like curve and yield.fi where hundreds of millions sit, they could be contributors of those pools.