Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Groke posted:

Nobody can really be surprised by this.This is how it has been with Paradox games since the original Europa Universalis. Except in those days we didn't automatically get the bugfixes distributed online.

Hilarious bugs I agree, but placeholder/missing graphics I feel like it's a new one. Even Imperator for all its warts did have a finished UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
People say that Paradox releases were always rushed as if we didn't have CK3 last year.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

don't mind if i do

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

don't mind if i do

:eyepop:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Literally the worst release in the last decade. Paradox should be ashamed.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Groke posted:

Nobody can really be surprised by this.This is how it has been with Paradox games since the original Europa Universalis. Except in those days we didn't automatically get the bugfixes distributed online.

there is some bugginess and QA-team-getting-sacked-again oversights but this is actually an unfinished product of live code half way through development.

don't buy johan team's stuff anymore

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

This thread is giving me some Sword of the Stars 2 launch day vibes.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

“Paradox had a good release recently, I’m sure they’ve bested their reputation as having bad or buggy releases!”
Paradox:

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!
The game won't even launch on my Linux box, and on my Win10 machine the game crashes right after selecting a country. I can't believe the DLC shipped in this state.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Can someone explain how the Khmer are just able to waltz past my level 3 fort? I have almost 500 hours in the game but the fort mechanics are still opaque to me.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 27, 2021

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
The changes they made to AI spending seem to have caused them to sit at way under force limit during peace.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Can someone explain how the Khmer are just able to waltz past my level 3 fort? I have almost 500 hours in the game but the fort mechanics are still opaque to me.

You can always move into and out of capital forts iirc. Avoid forts right next to a capital that has any chance of being involved in a war you're in.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You can always move into and out of capital forts iirc. Avoid forts right next to a capital that has any chance of being involved in a war you're in.

Okay then I understand, thank you.

Also, are you guys really surprised that the latest release is a disaster? When was the last time something that Johan was involved in turned out to be good at first?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I think Johan has said that even he doesn't understand the fort rules. There's so many exceptions and special cases that it's completely inscrutable now.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Okay then I understand, thank you.

Also, are you guys really surprised that the latest release is a disaster? When was the last time something that Johan was involved in turned out to be good at first?

imperator was actually finished, just trash

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There are always bugs and problems with a big update but it seems like there are a lot more issues than normal.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I would like to know how this release happened in this state. No shade at the devs or QAs, I know they don't set the schedule- but like, did somebody gently caress up and release the wrong build or something? It's kinda hilarious.
It's really making me want to throw my money on the dlc. :homebrew:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Poil posted:

There are always bugs and problems with a big update but it seems like there are a lot more issues than normal.

All software sucks.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Can't really say without more context. What county did the AI army enter the fort from?

Remember ZoC does not extend past your borders unless it's your subject so if they came from the south east they are fine. If they came from the south west they should of been blocked unless they issued a move command before the big fort had garrison

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 27, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lamentable dustman posted:

Remember ZoC does not extend past your borders unless it's your subject so if they came from the south east they are fine. If they came from the south west they should of been blocked unless they issued a move command before the big fort had garrison
I think its as simple as you can leave a Fort's ZoC into friendly land, cant you? So in this case the Khmer army is leaving into the friendly territory where Pump it up! Do it!'s army is sieging an ally of Khmer?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It's weird that the requirements for monuments are based on province religion/culture rather than the whole nation's religion/culture, unless I'm misunderstanding it. It kind of compounds the balance issues by making it way easier to stack the additional monument modifiers. Given this patch I have no idea if that was an intentional feature or not.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

imperator was actually finished, just trash

There was no ledger or MP chat. Every battle gave you exactly 1 warscore as a placeholder value.

Imperator was both unfinished and trash on release.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

woke up to leviathan lmao good poo poo

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING PARADOX DLC

godfuckingdamnit

*starts CK3 back up*

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

AnoHito posted:

There was no ledger or MP chat. Every battle gave you exactly 1 warscore as a placeholder value.

Imperator was both unfinished and trash on release.

Lack of features you might want is not the same as releasing new features with placeholder art.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ilitarist posted:

People say that Paradox releases were always rushed as if we didn't have CK3 last year.

yeah after CK2's release pdox changed from 'consistently awful releases' to 'wildly inconsistent releases'

this seems p bad though, which is kinda funny after last diary's statement of intent. I hope johan takes a vacation and avoids forum comments for a while

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fuligin posted:

this seems p bad though, which is kinda funny after last diary's statement of intent. I hope johan takes a vacation and avoids forum comments for a while
A patch is never early. Nor is it ever late. It is released exactly when Johan wants it to be :v:

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I started a new Portugal game and some rando native state started a war against my Brazilian colony state and for some reason I was entirely uninvolved in all that. Wonder if it's a bug or what.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Kemper Boyd posted:

I started a new Portugal game and some rando native state started a war against my Brazilian colony state and for some reason I was entirely uninvolved in all that. Wonder if it's a bug or what.

Feature, been like that for a long time. Want to help out, use Enforce Peace.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
no better QA test than a release tbh

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

quote:

If you don't have the dlc active, your diplo screen is broken

Starting federations fall apart day 1, and the ai will leave them immediately after you accept an invite

Several modifiers do not work, because paradox are applying the province version of the modifier rather than the country version.

Concentrate development and stealing other people's dev is broken is so many different ways

Zoroastrian mechanics use coptic icons

Ming can burn their tributaries to the ground

They really did zero QA. This is Emperor all over again.

lol

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
It's weird. It's such an old game at this point, with so much DLC, it's not like anyone was desperately waiting for this to come out as soon as possible. I'm usually vaguely aware of what's going on with Paradox releases but it was a surprise to me to see that this was out today. So what was the rush? Why not get it to a fit state? Are the paradox financials so delicate that they just HAVE to release it in the designated window?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
johan needs to be removed from any managerial position imo

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

fuf posted:

It's weird. It's such an old game at this point, with so much DLC, it's not like anyone was desperately waiting for this to come out as soon as possible. I'm usually vaguely aware of what's going on with Paradox releases but it was a surprise to me to see that this was out today. So what was the rush? Why not get it to a fit state? Are the paradox financials so delicate that they just HAVE to release it in the designated window?
Profits now! Now now now! Think of the poor shareholders!

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
This sounds more like a corporate "get it out by the deadline" issue.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Poil posted:

Profits now! Now now now! Think of the poor shareholders!

Yep, the shift in the company after it went public was extremely noticeable. As always, the instant shareholders became involved everything went straight off a cliff in search of short term profit.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This isn’t even conducive to short term profit, though. And it’s very different from the slower, more conservative approach that the CK3 team is taking.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the last time i laughed so hard at a paradox game was when i first saw glitterhoof turn up in CK2, brilliant content in this new one

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Kemper Boyd posted:

Actually, this reminds me of a strategy I've wanted to try out. I've done it on a test basis but not in a proper game so can't tell for sure if it's worth it, but it's magnificently stupid:

1. Be an Old World country, move your capital to the New World. Now you count as a native.
2. Expand like an idiot for a while, especially eat all colonial nations you can, with impunity. In fact as long as there are no colonies owned by the mother countries nearby, you won't get any AE with them either. (For extra laughs, do this as Russia and spam Siberian Frontiers everywhere.)
2b. DO NOT STATE ANYTHING in the New World, because you're not staying longer than necessary. In fact, do not even core provinces you take from colonial nations, they don't cause overextension so you can just let them sit there for the duration.
3. When you feel like you've eaten enough, MOVE YOUR CAPITAL back to the Old World. Boom, all your New World holdings turn into colonial nations, and they can do their own coring and stating.

Now you have a massive colonial empire, and your European neighbours don't even care that you took all their poo poo, because you were totally dressed as natives when you did it, and now you're back to wearing regular hats again. The only real drawback I can think of (except for the opportunity cost) is that your economy may hurt some during the exile period (at least if you have large Old World holdings, state maintenance will go up by a lot).

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Kemper Boyd posted:

to explain, colonials and natives can slapfight each other without waking up their dads but dad can get angry about it if you opt to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groke posted:

Actually, this reminds me of a strategy I've wanted to try out. I've done it on a test basis but not in a proper game so can't tell for sure if it's worth it, but it's magnificently stupid:

1. Be an Old World country, move your capital to the New World. Now you count as a native.
2. Expand like an idiot for a while, especially eat all colonial nations you can, with impunity. In fact as long as there are no colonies owned by the mother countries nearby, you won't get any AE with them either. (For extra laughs, do this as Russia and spam Siberian Frontiers everywhere.)
2b. DO NOT STATE ANYTHING in the New World, because you're not staying longer than necessary. In fact, do not even core provinces you take from colonial nations, they don't cause overextension so you can just let them sit there for the duration.
3. When you feel like you've eaten enough, MOVE YOUR CAPITAL back to the Old World. Boom, all your New World holdings turn into colonial nations, and they can do their own coring and stating.

Now you have a massive colonial empire, and your European neighbours don't even care that you took all their poo poo, because you were totally dressed as natives when you did it, and now you're back to wearing regular hats again. The only real drawback I can think of (except for the opportunity cost) is that your economy may hurt some during the exile period (at least if you have large Old World holdings, state maintenance will go up by a lot).
This doesnt seem like its worth the effort to me