Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i think your anger at soccer guy is overblown considering most kids are spending all day indoors in school with some foot tall plastic folders separating them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

hofnar posted:

Take a time out and calm down little buddy

calmer 'n you are

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

boar guy posted:

calmer 'n you are

Clearly

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911826&userid=109676

Deep breaths buddy, it will be OK. Do you want a juice box

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

hofnar posted:

Clearly

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911826&userid=109676

weird

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's past time to stop pretending Fox News is anything other than tabloid propaganda, and either litigate or regulate them into oblivion. If Carlson is moving on from racism and fascist bootlicking into fomenting violence about loving masks in a pandemic then just going after advertisers is clearly not enough. (I know he already has basically no advertisers.)

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
why all the hostility? isn't everyone aware that covid is over

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

why all the hostility? isn't everyone aware that covid is over

yah the ceedee cee said so

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

hofnar posted:

the refs usually don't get juice boxes after the soccer game but I agree this one needs a juicey

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Inept posted:

i think your anger at soccer guy is overblown considering most kids are spending all day indoors in school with some foot tall plastic folders separating them

this actually brings up a neat debate: kids are supposed to be masked inside and let's pretend that everyone is following those regulations ( :lol: )

so which is worse? Kids with no masks close to one another but outside and moving around? Or kids staying still with masks on with tiny plastic dividers but also very close together?

I don't want either of them to be happening.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

this actually brings up a neat debate: kids are supposed to be masked inside and let's pretend that everyone is following those regulations ( :lol: )

so which is worse? Kids with no masks close to one another but outside and moving around? Or kids staying still with masks on with tiny plastic dividers but also very close together?

I don't want either of them to be happening.

i don't get the rush to normalize everything for the 6 weeks that are left in the school year but it all comes back to the economy stupid

at least our high schoolers are getting an 'ipad academy' optional learning track out of this where they aren't required to attend classes on campus at all if they don't want to, moving forward

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

why do i have to wear a mask indoors if I'm vaccinated? I'm immune

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

boar guy posted:

i don't get the rush to normalize everything for the 6 weeks that are left in the school year but it all comes back to the economy stupid

at least our high schoolers are getting an 'ipad academy' optional learning track out of this where they aren't required to attend classes on campus at all if they don't want to, moving forward

I'm not sure if you're calling me stupid (you already did that yesterday, remember?) or sneering at the economy.

I realize there's an economic barrier to distance learning for some but in 2021 I really wish that wasn't a thing and there are certainly ways to make sure it isn't :smith: I mean, my gods, we were doing VHS courses in the late 90s.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm not sure if you're calling me stupid (you already did that yesterday, remember?) or sneering at the economy.

was not directed at you. it's an expression

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who will never leave your houses again for the rest of your lives, the parking has been loving awesome

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I realize there's an economic barrier to distance learning for some but in 2021 I really wish that wasn't a thing and there are certainly ways to make sure it isn't :smith: I mean, my gods, we were doing VHS courses in the late 90s.

The economic barrier is to a large extent the lack of affordable childcare in this country, which schools end up taking the place of. Lots of people on the wrong side of median income can't work from home, and live in states with poo poo unemployment laws and infrastructure.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The economic barrier is to a large extent the lack of affordable childcare in this country, which schools end up taking the place of.

bingo

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

why do i have to wear a mask indoors if I'm vaccinated? I'm immune

Because we want unvaccinated people to continue wearing masks indoors and the easiest way to achieve compliance is just applying a blanket rule.

(There's no sarcasm or snark in this post, but I realise it might read that way)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The economic barrier is to a large extent the lack of affordable childcare in this country, which schools end up taking the place of. Lots of people on the wrong side of median income can't work from home, and live in states with poo poo unemployment laws and infrastructure.

And the pandemic has certainly shined a light on this but instead of fixing it people just threw kids back in virus factories.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

blunt posted:

Because we want unvaccinated people to continue wearing masks indoors and the easiest way to achieve compliance is just applying a blanket rule.

(There's no sarcasm or snark in this post, but I realise it might read that way)
and the vaccine doesn't necessarily give you immunity. we also don't know yet if vaccinated people can still spread it. more spread means more opportunities for mutations, which means more chances to get a strain that the vaccines don't work on and we're back to square one

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

John_A_Tallon posted:

It's suitable because that's where the existing border controls are. It's the first iteration of a system that could be adopted immediately, globally.

I want to jump in and say I love mandatory quarantine because I hate people that travel too much, but you don't seem to know the first thing about the Schengen agreement and how its implementation has effectively eliminated border controls across Europe.

Yes, most countries in Europe have implemented some sort of border checkpoints due to Covid, but there are literally thousands of loopholes in every country.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

butt dickus posted:

and the vaccine doesn't necessarily give you immunity. we also don't know yet if vaccinated people can still spread it. more spread means more opportunities for mutations, which means more chances to get a strain that the vaccines don't work on and we're back to square one
A study posted just last page showed 90% immunity to infection after two doses, not just immunity to symptoms.

If you can't get infected, you effectively can't spread it, either. Or harbor enough viruses for more mutations.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

hofnar posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who will never leave your houses again for the rest of your lives, the parking has been loving awesome

Seriously, except replace "leave your houses again" to "work in an office" because my essential who can't work from home rear end has had significantly better parking in the employee garage since the shutdown happened last March.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

A study posted just last page showed 90% immunity to infection after two doses, not just immunity to symptoms.

If you can't get infected, you effectively can't spread it, either. Or harbor enough viruses for more mutations.

Fwiw I watched two different news programs last night call the Vaxx a cure for COVID.

Seems an odd way to phrase it if you ask me!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Can we just ban anti-maskers from this thread so they don't spew their nonsense? Tyvm.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

why does it matter if I can't harbor more mutations? shouldn't I be more worried about the unvaccinated person breathing on me sending out a mutation that breaks through the vaccine?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

dwarf74 posted:

does 90% immunity mean "can't get infected"?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

why does it matter if I can't harbor more mutations? shouldn't I be more worried about the unvaccinated person breathing on me sending out a mutation that breaks through the vaccine?
That wasn't the question I was responding to. Nobody is saying it's time for the unvaccinated to do anything differently (except get vaccinated).

butt dickus posted:

The study specifically showed a 90% immunity to any infection whatsoever, checked through periodic PCR tests.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Well almost (29th) got my second vaccine gonna lick all the things and not wear a mask and cough at everyone because as we know:

(I plan to maybe do stuff, masked 2 weeks after. Not that I normally do much but I should probably have a doctors/dentist appointment)

I don't think quarantines are necessary all the time in the future, but I sure as gently caress would like to see more masks/hand sanitizer/people washing their loving hands/ etc. Shame the USA didn't lockdown for a couple of months oh well who cares about those deaths that would have been prevented.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

And the pandemic has certainly shined a light on this but instead of fixing it people just threw kids back in virus factories.

This country has already proven that it has no problem throwing kids in worse places.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hofnar posted:

So basically he's Maxine Waters is what you're saying

How so?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
You guys have convinced me, we should not bother trying to protect people.
Let's open it up.

Does anyone need a counterfeit vaccine card? I know a guy who can make them if you have an employer that's cosplaying as a responsible business. We should shame and mock maskers, Tucker Carlson is right.

Pandemic's over because a sub-herd-immunity fraction of the world population got some shots, people can feel joy and hope that things will get better real soon now. Any day. Any time. Yep. Just open it on up and don't bother with any sort of safety measures because no one can imagine life ever being any different from how it was before COVID. Back to normal means back to how it was, right?

butt dickus posted:

It means that in the test population 1 out of every 10 people that got the real treatment instead of a placebo still got COVID somehow. Maybe their immune system didn't respond hard enough or long enough, maybe the shot was administered or stored incorrectly; it probably wasn't that they caught some variant of COVID that the shot provided less or no protection against, because the tests were done relatively early in the pandemic. But who knows!

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 27, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I suspect we'll probably keep yelling at each other because it's a relatively safe place to do so. The properly guilty parties are too frustrating and/or dangerous to deal with in the places they inhabit.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
nobody in this thread seems like an "anti-masker" or was saying at any point that we "shouldn't bother trying to protect people" but the histrionic nature of goons requires them to be as mad as possible as often as possible

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gone Fashing posted:

nobody in this thread seems like an "anti-masker" or was saying at any point that we "shouldn't bother trying to protect people" but the histrionic nature of goons requires them to be as mad as possible as often as possible

Yeah I was just saying I’m tired of wearing it and now that I have the vaxx it would be great if I didn’t have to.

I’ve been wearing a mask every day for a year plus and won’t be stopping wearing it. It would just be nice to be able to move past it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

John_A_Tallon posted:

You guys have convinced me, we should not bother trying to protect people.

lol you said you wanted to put unvaccinated people in camps

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

John_A_Tallon posted:

It means that in the test population 1 out of every 10 people that got the real treatment instead of a placebo still got COVID somehow. Maybe their immune system didn't respond hard enough or long enough, maybe the shot was administered or stored incorrectly; it probably wasn't that they caught some variant of COVID that the shot provided less or no protection against, because the tests were done relatively early in the pandemic. But who knows!

That's how the trials worked, but not this study:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7013e3.htm?s_cid=mm7013e3_w

They just observed a few thousand frontline workers and tested them for covid weekly. At the end, only 10% as many vaccinated people had caught covid, as unvaccinated people.

There was no placebo, and also no blinding. Everyone knew whether he was vaccinated or not. So maybe the protection is even better than 90%, because presumably unvaccinated people were a bit more careful on average.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Please stop posting and quoting Tucker Carlson.

azurite fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 27, 2021

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I have my second Moderna jab tomorrow. Last one I had barely any side effects so apparently I'm in for a real treat! :dance:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

John_A_Tallon posted:

It means that in the test population 1 out of every 10 people that got the real treatment instead of a placebo still got COVID somehow.

That's not what it means and if you're going to be quite so red, mad and nude about exactly what every human being on earth needs to do to appease the Dark Lord Covid I think you should at least do even ten seconds of reading first.

For reference the 90% efficacy reflects that over the course of the trial, 90% less people in the vaccinated leg caught covid than in the unvaccinated leg. This is an absolutely *huge* distinction - if 1 in 10 people who received the vaccine got the disease over the trial period that would probably mean that the vaccine was actually less effective than nothing at all because the trials only lasted a few months - even the most rampant areas didn't see that kind of infection rate. The actual method they get the 90% figure is a bit more complex of course, to reflect that immunity takes time to build up, and that no two trial groups are ever absolutely identical, so there's a little wiggle room in that number.

You're also completely ignoring stuff like the well-documented vast reduction in severe symptoms and vastly improved death rates even among those who catch covid, and the likely (although not yet proven) reduction in transmission from people who *do* contract covid once vaccinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That poster would probably be more comfortable in CSPAM.