Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dexo posted:

I'm a veteran of super dumb Gamefaqs vs poo poo.

Thank you for your service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Limitless was basically a movie about a person with superhuman intelligence, which in practice ends up being photographic memory.

All the MCU heroes have some variant of super strength or super combat skills with the exception of the villain from Jessica Jones.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Strange is pretty much a Deus Ex Machina in the comics but there’s no textual reason to believe he’s even the Sorcerer Supreme in the MCU other than he was the protagonist of his film.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Floppychop posted:

That's why superman is boring, "god level in every category" makes a lame character.

It's the same reason I hated Hulk Hogan and John Cena, a good guy shouldn't just be an unstoppable god because there's no conflict that way. You always know how things are going to end.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's almost like they're setting up a confrontation in Dr. Strange: Multiverse of Madness so we learn more about their relative power scales.

I've also heard rumors that Captain Marvel 2 will involve Carol hanging with Korvac out in deep space where she'll basically be on equal footing/outright inferior to someone, or they'll do some variant on the Rogue/Mystique thing where Rogue siphons Carol's powers and she'll have to get them back somehow.

And this all ignores whatever horseshit crops up in Eternals, which are the same species as Thanos in the comics, so you can expect some serious power level poo poo to come up there as well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ravel posted:

Limitless was basically a movie about a person with superhuman intelligence, which in practice ends up being photographic memory.

All the MCU heroes have some variant of super strength or super combat skills with the exception of the villain from Jessica Jones.

The best part of Limitless is that he expands his mind so much that he can take over the world, but the first thing the movie does to demonstrate his power is that his landlord's wife - who he owes thousands of dollars to and hates him - decides to gently caress him because he could remember a library book.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Floppychop posted:

That's why superman is boring, "god level in every category" makes a lame character.

Uh, Superman gets owned on a routine basis by a small alien starfish and loving Mr. Myxlplyx

Dude has no Wis or Int scores at all lmao

Also I always contend that Superman CAN be a fun and interesting character, but you

A. Need an interesting antagonist
B. A problem he can't solve by punching it
C. Plot/ narrative that gets more complex than "Superman weak, but now he strong again!" :black101:

What is the Marvel equivalent of Superman tbh? Sentry?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Everyone posted:

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Pitch Meeting

Editing to add that I think one reason the show was so ambivalent about Karli being painted as full-on evil is that she's cute with the hair and the freckles. She looks more like "I'm Karli Morganthau. You called my folks about babysitting your cat while you were on vacation?" than "I'm Karli Marganthau, leader of the Flag-smashers."

Pitch meetings is critique of pop culture right, versus cinema sins. They actually bring up interesting points, and very rarely do they say "stupid" poo poo. The only case here is they gloss over how Walker murders a dude in this show a tad too much, but in general yeah. They're good.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The best part of Limitless is that he expands his mind so much that he can take over the world, but the first thing the movie does to demonstrate his power is that his landlord's wife - who he owes thousands of dollars to and hates him - decides to gently caress him because he could remember a library book.

Tbf people have hosed for far less than that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Uh, Superman gets owned on a routine basis by a small alien starfish and loving Mr. Myxlplyx

Dude has no Wis or Int scores at all lmao

Also I always contend that Superman CAN be a fun and interesting character, but you

A. Need an interesting antagonist
B. A problem he can't solve by punching it
C. Plot/ narrative that gets more complex than "Superman weak, but now he strong again!" :black101:

They have a few characters that fit the role broadly. The most direct is Hyperion, then Sentry. Thor and Cap are actually the closest to actually fulfilling the role Superman actually holds in the universe (Thor as 'guy in red cape who is the most powerful dude on super-team' and Cap as 'moral centre'). And then there's like, Gladiator who is an alien emperor with a mohawk that has Superman's powers and is basically unbeatable as long as he believes he is.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Doctor Nutt posted:

Tbf people have hosed for far less than that.

Don't need too much of an excuse to gently caress Bradley Cooper

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nameless Pete posted:

Other people have no doubt mentioned this, but the Walker casting was low-level inspired. By getting Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn's kid,
:aaaa:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm annoyed with how all it took was just a Sam speech and then everything was fixed. In the real world, politicians are doing what corporate interests want them to do, and no shaming on live video would change that.

Also what the gently caress, maybe you should think twice before handing a recently pardoned expat with a grudge the keys to the CIA.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ymgve posted:

I'm annoyed with how all it took was just a Sam speech and then everything was fixed.

This is the most comics-accurate thing in the entire show. 75% of Captain America comics end that way.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Floppychop posted:

Superman owns

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

If you're seeing a story where Superman is a bad character, its because its a lovely Superman story.

That same logic applies to every superman-like character btw, including John Cena. "Superman is too powerful to be a good character/tell good stories," is peak memetic thinking, its demonstrably false.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, Superman is only “boring” in the hands of a poo poo writer. Unfortunately that’s basically 90% of the creative teams ever assigned to Superman.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Sanguinia posted:

If you're seeing a story where Superman is a bad character, its because its a lovely Superman story.

That same logic applies to every superman-like character btw, including John Cena. "Superman is too powerful to be a good character/tell good stories," is peak memetic thinking, its demonstrably false.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, Superman is only “boring” in the hands of a poo poo writer. Unfortunately that’s basically 90% of the creative teams ever assigned to Superman.

It's these

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The low-key best part of Sam's speech, btw, was the part where the lady official tried to pull the 'but immigrants use our tax dollars' card and Sam doesn't even blink and just goes "yes, you should help them".

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
There's a situation right now where medical supplies are not being efficiently distributed due to regulatory and licensing restrictions. Forcible expropriation would be the heroic thing to do.

The show should have ended with Karli taking the shield.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I just finished it. I liked it better than wandavision. Got to see captain america do a Charging Star. I’m glad John Walker didn’t end up getting murked. I like Wyatt Russel.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Has there ever been a time when US Agent worked for SHIELD?

Because I would love to know if he was ever an Agent of SHIELD with an actual shield and if so, did his shield get repainted to have the SHIELD logo on it?

Serious question that I didn't feel like Googling.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

B class, obviously.

I was going to suggest "unless Saitama can punch magic" as a joke but I realized Popeye has done this

Popeye would be on Wanda's tier

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

AndyElusive posted:

Because I would love to know if he was ever an Agent of SHIELD with an actual shield and if so, did his shield get repainted to have the SHIELD logo on it?

His shield did get repainted, but not into Shield-ception.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The best Superman story I ever read was by Garth Ennis in Hitman #34. One of the cooler bits was what didn't happen. No fights, no misunderstandings. No Kryptonite so the guy whose powers are X-Ray Vision, Mind Reading and shooting people with regular guns can somehow deal with threats that Superman can't. It's just Hitman and Superman standing on a roof talking about guilt and, eventually, the immigrant experience.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

It's not used by US Agent, but a shield with the SHIELD logo shows up in Agents of SHIELD.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

Not a comics guy, but I couldn't see how Carol Danvers was anything but an OP Superman character in Endgame. In my opinion, her showing up and just dunking on everything was kind of disappointing.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Everyone posted:

The best Superman story I ever read was by Garth Ennis in Hitman #34. One of the cooler bits was what didn't happen. No fights, no misunderstandings. No Kryptonite so the guy whose powers are X-Ray Vision, Mind Reading and shooting people with regular guns can somehow deal with threats that Superman can't. It's just Hitman and Superman standing on a roof talking about guilt and, eventually, the immigrant experience.

You’d think a lot more of the NYC based superheroes would be emotionally hosed up because 9/11 happened and there weren’t there or couldn’t stop it. There is some gritty, grim dark stories to be told there.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

My favorite superman moment is from the old animated series, during a christmas episode, Bruce, Clark, Martha and Johnathan are all sitting around the table, and Martha says something like "oh yeah, we used to have to wrap Clark's presents in Lead." and Clark cuts in with "You mean Santa did." She replies, "Of course, Clark, Santa did."

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

TheTofuShop posted:

My favorite superman moment is from the old animated series, during a christmas episode, Bruce, Clark, Martha and Johnathan are all sitting around the table, and Martha says something like "oh yeah, we used to have to wrap Clark's presents in Lead." and Clark cuts in with "You mean Santa did." She replies, "Of course, Clark, Santa did."

I still think that the “How do you know that name?!” moment in Snyder’s Batman vs Superman would have been more poignant if that was the moment Bruce remembered who he was and why he is Batman. He goes to save Martha Kent using no lethal violence: concussions and broken wrists everywhere.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TheTofuShop posted:

One of my favorite Superman stories was I believe a Justice League (seriously the entire old DCAU is loving fantastic stuff) episode called Hereafter, where Toyman thought he disintegrated, but actually threw Superman 30,000 years into the future. The League have a funeral where even Lex shows up and genuinely pays his respects, and Bruce goes into complete denial but admits Clark was like his only real best friend.

Meanwhile Superman wakes up in a distant future where Vandal Savage successfully killed the rest of the Justice League, but accidently all of humanity besides him as well, and now he's just a bored, depressed, lonely man. Superman almost kills him out of rage at first, but Clark instead sees how Savage has changed and hears him out, befriends him, and lets him explain he wants to atone. Savage helps him get back to his own time and Superman undoes past Savage's plan, saving the future but erasing that future version of a guilt ridden Savage from existence, which he thanks Clark for as "his friend"

The best Superman (and honestly Batman) stories are the ones that remind you beyond the capes and the powers they are just people. It's really cool when writers acknowledge one of Clark's strongest abilities is his bond with others and his influence on them, and his heart :)

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 28, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

TheTofuShop posted:

Later on in that episode it's night and everyone's asleep except Clark who is looking at presents and gumbles "Lead again."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

mind the walrus posted:

It's almost like they're setting up a confrontation in Dr. Strange: Multiverse of Madness so we learn more about their relative power scales.

I've also heard rumors that Captain Marvel 2 will involve Carol hanging with Korvac out in deep space where she'll basically be on equal footing/outright inferior to someone, or they'll do some variant on the Rogue/Mystique thing where Rogue siphons Carol's powers and she'll have to get them back somehow.

And this all ignores whatever horseshit crops up in Eternals, which are the same species as Thanos in the comics, so you can expect some serious power level poo poo to come up there as well.

I really hope the Chris Evans doing another MCU project rumors are actually him returning as Johnny Storm in Multiverse of Madness.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Ironheart has a writer: Chinaka Hodge.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Some of my favorite Superman stories are Alan Moore's run on Supreme where he takes a pretty dull Supes clone, destroys everything from the title, and turns it into an homage to Golden and Silver Age comics.

I really need Lance and Bobbi from Agents of SHIELD to come back—they were robbed from their spinoff show. Also, Enoch is the best and deserves all the screentime.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Kind of? He has a wicked downside with the Void.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

edit: nvm

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Veggiefact/status/1372666183204413445

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Jet Jaguar posted:

I really need Lance and Bobbi from Agents of SHIELD to come back—they were robbed from their spinoff show. Also, Enoch is the best and deserves all the screentime.

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Ravel posted:

More and more we're coming to the conclusion that intelligence is synthesis and integration -- we've been outsourcing memory to computers for decades now and books for centuries before that. But having a "smart" character make a logical leap that the audience can't or won't make (even if it's the correct one!) is somehow unrealistic. Breaks verisimilitude. Ahh, the joy of trying to convey a thing that really is tough to conceptualize if you aren't used to seeing it happen or doing it yourself. The funny part is that you still take all the steps: the logic works, but since the person doing the work is moving a bit quickly to get to the conclusion, some steps might get left out of the explanation with the assumption that everyone else there is just as capable of working through them and can figure it out, too.

This is one of the reasons I always liked Thrawn's portrayal in those early Star Wars books. His stated reason for being able to make such accurate leaps was that he could study a culture's art and divine things others couldn't -- that's the suspension of disbelief key that lets you, the reader, buy that sometimes people see and put together things others don't...and more crucially, because it's ART, that you, the reader, probably wouldn't see it anyway. You're not dumb for not having gotten it. I hate having to take that into account but, hey, you work with what you got.