Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yossarian-22 posted:

ferrinus might have a superiority complex and have a proclivity to voxsplain things but i think it's fair to not want slurs, and i don't think he's engaged in some conspiracy to make everyone think that larry defenders are rapists. again i say this even though i really don't like engaging with him at all

I don't think there's any conspiracy or anything I'm just responding directly to his actual words and pathetic attempt to get around them. I'd respect him a lot more if he just said yeah that's what I meant, you're all perverts, eat poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
[ezra klein voice]: 'retard', explained.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

some plague rats posted:

Of course anyone who is mad at you for saying something very lovely and then trying to weasel out of it is just doing performative outrage, I look forward to your Spiked column about being victimised by cancel culture you babbling twerp

see? exact same poo poo. you're just reading me the riot act now. ferrinus did a sexism. ferrinus did an imperialism. ferrinus did a no growth. it's not respectable in general but it's ESPECIALLY unconvincing coming from someone who mere pages ago was just hooting and hollering and pounding the table at the idea of calling people slurs

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

i don't read most of this forum, i know taintrunner from his former account in cinema discusso in which he independently reinvented italian futurism. it was really funny.

i want to note here though how funny it is that you're suddenly REALLY aggrieved and upset, just performing the most red-faced, tear-soaked outrage you possibly can in order to muster up the social pressure needed to avoid engaging with the actual substance of a criticism leveled against you, in a basically perfect example of convergent evolution towards the exact liberal "identitarians" you people claim to be rebelling against

you suck dude you talk like an anime villain

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

paul_soccer12 posted:

im going to say the n word

im going to deny the g word

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Yossarian-22 posted:

you suck dude you talk like an anime villain

i'm a fast typer

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

anyway make me an ik and i will enforce r-word ban but also keep ferrinus on a short leash and possibly threadban him. that is my application tia

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

some plague rats has made like three genuinely good posts in their lifetime and has spent much of the rest of their posting career in trying to gently caress poo poo up elsewhere on the forums

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ferrinus posted:

see? exact same poo poo. you're just reading me the riot act now. ferrinus did a sexism. ferrinus did an imperialism. ferrinus did a no growth. it's not respectable in general but it's ESPECIALLY unconvincing coming from someone who mere pages ago was just hooting and hollering and pounding the table at the idea of calling people slurs

Honestly I was just giving you poo poo with the original crack but as soon as you refused to own what you said and immediately launched into this awful blubbering woe-is-me narrative about how you could never do a wrong and I'm just weaponising victimhood or whatever like you were waiting for the chance it made me mad for real

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

ferrinus has been posting this way for as long as ive been reading SA. sometimes he's right sometimes he's wrong but hes going to type an essay either way. i do not and will not read all of his posts but i respect his sincerity

some plague rats posted:

Honestly I was just giving you poo poo with the original crack but as soon as you refused to own what you said and immediately launched into this awful blubbering woe-is-me narrative about how you could never do a wrong and I'm just weaponising victimhood or whatever like you were waiting for the chance it made me mad for real

lol the post was last page you absolutely were not

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

some plague rats posted:

I don't think there's any conspiracy or anything I'm just responding directly to his actual words and pathetic attempt to get around them. I'd respect him a lot more if he just said yeah that's what I meant, you're all perverts, eat poo poo

do you ever get tired from being outraged all the time? you are always aggro to people and stirring drama and it seems exhausting tbh

cspammers need to chill out more and enjoy shitposting with each other

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dustcat posted:

some plague rats has made like three genuinely good posts in their lifetime and has spent much of the rest of their posting career in trying to gently caress poo poo up elsewhere on the forums

I'll take the underarm pitch here: that's still three more than you

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

some plague rats posted:

what woe-is-me narrative? i've been talking about you all this time

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crusty Nutsack posted:

do you ever get tired from being outraged all the time? you are always aggro to people and stirring drama and it seems exhausting tbh

cspammers need to chill out more and enjoy shitposting with each other

It's fun to get mad and say poo poo

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

some plague rats posted:

yeah, it can be. you're just extra mad a lot and I hope that's not because you're irl mad all the time

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

some plague rats posted:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crusty Nutsack posted:

yeah, it can be. you're just extra mad a lot and I hope that's not because you're irl mad all the time

Society hates me and everyone like me and I don't get to be mad irl :(

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

listen we have a place for get just ncoherently mad and mean at other posters, thats why god made the glenn thread

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
I hope every poster that went to jack off made big cums. In volume and enthusiasm.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

some plague rats posted:

Society hates me and everyone like me and I don't get to be mad irl :(

I'm sorry :(

maybe if you looked at cspam as a place to hangout with cool comrade friends instead of an MMA cage that would help lol idk, I know it's hard when life blows.

I don't want cspam to be a hugbox by any means but I do wish there was less threads eating themselves and more regulars supporting regulars

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Varinn posted:

listen we have a place for get just ncoherently mad and mean at other posters, thats why god made the glenn thread

Suggesting reading the Glenn thread should get you a ban for advocating self harm

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

some plague rats posted:

Suggesting reading the Glenn thread should get you a ban for advocating self harm

you think you gotta read a thread to post in it?? rookie mistake

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Varinn posted:

you think you gotta read a thread to post in it?? rookie mistake

Hell yeah I'm going to post "woah sounds like someone loving loves imperialism!?" in every single cspam thread without even reading the last page

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

some plague rats posted:

Hell yeah I'm going to post "woah sounds like someone loving loves imperialism!?" in every single cspam thread without even reading the last page

it's true

THS
Sep 15, 2017

some plague rats posted:

youd be right in most of the threads

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

someone does, and that sounds like a great way to find out who. go with god

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I don't want cspam to be a hugbox by any means but I do wish there was less threads eating themselves and more regulars supporting regulars

The thread was barely done eating itself when the mod who set the whole thing off (right or wrongly) arrived at the beginning of a new flare-up and instead of doing sensible modding like saying "hey stop this and move on" decided to post smugly inflammatory sarcasm in defense of someone supporting his decision and then bail. I might have blown up at the guy flapping his hands and saying "but I don't even know what a taintrunner IS!!" but I'm just one woman with no star at all by my name

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

youd be right in most of the threads

I've never been wrong

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

some plague rats posted:

The thread was barely done eating itself when the mod who set the whole thing off (right or wrongly) arrived at the beginning of a new flare-up and instead of doing sensible modding like saying "hey stop this and move on" decided to post smugly inflammatory sarcasm in defense of someone supporting his decision and then bail. I might have blown up at the guy flapping his hands and saying "but I don't even know what a taintrunner IS!!" but I'm just one woman with no star at all by my name

I sometimes would handle situations differently than flav (and the other mods) too. I don't think that shitposting when we have the mod hat on is always a good idea because it tends to escalate stuff. but not even talking about today, I just mean in general, there's a lot of lefties-attacking-each-other in cspam and it bums me out sometimes is all.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crusty Nutsack posted:

there's a lot of lefties-attacking-each-other

Welcome to the left :(

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Finicums Wake posted:

[ezra klein voice]: 'retard', explained.

Trash Ops posted:

there is clearly a need for an ik in a thread with as many posts in five years as one of the braindead trump threads gets in a month, because larry says retard occasionally, flavius shitass throws out a ridiculous probe, then everything stops

thatfatkid posted:

Yep, retard ain't a slur. It's more offensive to be called a mod imo

Dongicus posted:

nooooooooooooo you cant say retard in the edgy version of d&d!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dreylad posted:

je suis en retard

a Loving Dog posted:

wait this is about “retard”? lmao

a Loving Dog posted:

we know. on January 6 you rushed into this thread after watching CNN call it a coup to breathlessly call Glenn a retard

Chinatown posted:

when i was in college an idiot bouncer accused me of using a fake ID (it was my actual California DL) and made me sign my signature as it appeared on my card, as proof I was lying.

the head bouncer came over and told him he was a "loving retard" and apologized to me.

Bideo James posted:

yep, just a retard lmao.

TheSlutPit posted:

It’s really too bad that you’re not allowed to say “elon musk is a retard” in cspam, and I think it should be allowed in this context as well.

20 Blunts posted:

Special forces of posting here, we get issued retard

Dongicus posted:

y read or think about anything when i can listen to Epic Chap Hazbin Traphotel call ben sahprio a retard then alienate my coworkers with internet mannerisms

and almost this entire page: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3956800&pagenumber=25&

buncha other examples but point again, as ever, is that larry is someone that the mods and some clique of posters dont like and so he gets in trouble for it while others dont. you can look at my post history itt to see all the times me and larry argued, i disagree with him about most things except video games apparently. but whats so infuriating is recognizing that one person or a group of people gets targeted and punished by the mods cause of some vendettas immediately makes the people in these cliques assume you are in some kind of rival clique rather than someone who just sees how unfair and arbitrary poo poo is and how stifling it is to actual community and discussion. this is literally what caused the poo poo around KM and PPJ last year and me and others (including larry) being called nazis cause we disagreed with the wrong posting clique.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

some plague rats posted:

Welcome to the left :(

Eh what is the left anyway?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Eh what is the left anyway?

It's what's right ho ho

apropos to nothing posted:

and almost this entire page: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3956800&pagenumber=25&

buncha other examples but point again, as ever, is that larry is someone that the mods and some clique of posters dont like and so he gets in trouble for it while others dont. you can look at my post history itt to see all the times me and larry argued, i disagree with him about most things except video games apparently. but whats so infuriating is recognizing that one person or a group of people gets targeted and punished by the mods cause of some vendettas immediately makes the people in these cliques assume you are in some kind of rival clique rather than someone who just sees how unfair and arbitrary poo poo is and how stifling it is to actual community and discussion. this is literally what caused the poo poo around KM and PPJ last year and me and others (including larry) being called nazis cause we disagreed with the wrong posting clique.

:hai:

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

epicly this, op

give us an ik in this thread so we can force out all of the trmup posting dumbasses and get back to our usual business of:

- denying genocide
- watching ferrinus froth at the mouth whenever a trotskyist posts
- saying retard
- being gay
- the immortal science

etc

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the only way to solve this is with cspams preferred method of governance: liberal democracy. put the rule up for a vote

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
like larry got banned just for posting that he disagreed that fyad posters were nazis. he didnt post in fyad, didnt post any banned words or anything, just didnt agree with the forums consensus. its ridiculous and even if i wasnt one of the people wrongly being accused of being a nazi it would piss me off how he and others got treated and continue to get treated just cause they had the audacity to disagree with the forums consensus.

its the same reason i defended posters who were being punished for discussions around china even though i disagree with them, it was unfair moderation that stifles discussion. i believe theres ethnic cleansing happening in xinjiang and many other horrible things that the ccp has done in china and internationally, while also recognizing that virtually all available news outlets in the US and EU are unreliable and falsely portraying the exact situation happening. good example of this is how much criticism of china there is in relation to xinjiang but not the role theyve played in the political situation in myanmar, because the latter would be almost impossible to spin in anyway that doesnt point a critical eye towards capitalism and imperialism by ALL imperialist powers, while the former could obviously should be portrayed that way too but US media can more easily portray the situation as just an example of the ccps poor morals or something and help stoke inter-imperialist rivalries without drawing out the other issues. so there were posters being punished for questioning and challenging news sources with counter sources, and for calling whats happening on the US border ethnic cleansing/concentration camps (which it is and they are) so a totally ridiculous situation where in the politics forum you could not discuss openly your politics. many of the people saying they didnt believe genocide is occuring in xinjiang still believed that the ccp was committing ethnic cleansing or other assaults against the uighur, but they disagreed with the media portrayals in the US and this got them labeled as genocide denialists.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I fully admit I don't read most of the major megathreads because I think the thread culture gets insular and weird after a while, so I don't claim to be a CSPAM expert. But in the other threads - I'm trying to be honest here but it's going to come off as blunt - mod intervention exacerbates what you're describing, or starts the cycle when all the regulars were getting along just fine more or less before.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

well first, I assume you don't actually want mods in cspam to unilaterally probate for "retard" in some contexts, like this post, and yours, where we use the word but it's because we're discussing issues around it. a lot of your quotes fall under that category and I think it's good to differentiate that.

but regardless, I think your bigger issue is what seems like favoritism by mods? I mean it's impossible to say that we don't all have posters we like or dislike, but that's because we were part of the community before we became mods. we also get frustrated when we have to keep addressing the same issues from the same posters over and over. I think larry fits into that category, tbh. he knows not to say "retard" here, he's been probated a billion times for it, and he still does it. it's frustratingly confounding tbh. ramping people when they continue to do something against the rules is normal everywhere else, but why does everyone hate it so much here?

but back to favoritism, I personally will probate anyone who I see using "retard" or another slur to insult someone (and not necessarily in other situations, depending on context, as mentioned above). the key there though is "who I see." none of the cspam mods read everything here. it's just not possible lol it's too busy, and right now there's only 4 of us. iks here don't have any particular rules they need to follow, so whether they probe for various slurs is really up to them, though the mods would probably prefer if they did since it's a cspam rule. if a post is reported for slurs and I happen to see it, I WILL probe for it, same with just coming across a post as I'm reading threads. I honestly think it's the same for the other mods too. I think it's much less favoritism and cliques and more just "this is the one that happened to get in front of our eyes for whatever reason."

I immensely dislike cliques, and I think that all the thread cliques are a real disservice to cspam (that goes along with what I was just saying to crane fist about wishing regulars here supported each other more). so I personally try to ignore that stuff when I'm going through reports or whatever, and honestly I don't care enough to know what many of the cliques even are. I know that there's bad blood regarding mods in the past, so I understand people might expect the same poo poo now. but honest to god, I don't care enough or have enough brain power to make up some elaborate drama against posters or cliques lol and I'm sorry that a lot of people feel that way, but I don't really know how to combat that perception, either.

this was rambly but I hope it addresses some of your concerns

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

swimsuit posted:

epicly this, op

give us an ik in this thread so we can force out all of the trmup posting dumbasses and get back to our usual business of:

gradenko is now an ik as of yesterday, but I don't think they've used buttons yet. they are not an ik just of this thread, but I know they post here a lot. again, if you, or anyone else, has other suggestions for a specific thread ik here, PM me

Dreylad posted:

I fully admit I don't read most of the major megathreads because I think the thread culture gets insular and weird after a while, so I don't claim to be a CSPAM expert. But in the other threads - I'm trying to be honest here but it's going to come off as blunt - mod intervention exacerbates what you're describing, or starts the cycle when all the regulars were getting along just fine more or less before.

yes, I know what you mean. blunt is fine, thanks for chiming in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

i wish this thread would stop talking about The Antagonistic Mod-Poster Contradiction and go back to talking about unequal north-south trade terms or whatever