Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zesty posted:

I like to get mad at players for betting wrong in FJ. It brings me a lot of entertainment.

Not joking here.

I don't know if I like it it's more confusion over how you could be enough of a fan of a show you try out and audition and get on and not know extremely basic aspects of the game. Like I said "bet zero when you're in last when first and second are close" is something I've known since grade school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
also the pressure is IMMENSE when you're up there under the lights. I can't do math well in my living room... it definitely didn't get any easier there. I spent 100% of my time preparing for categories i knew I was weak in. I don't think I'm that abnormal.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I don't ever pay attention to the bids at all, that's not why I watch the show. :shrug:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

mennoknight posted:

also the pressure is IMMENSE when you're up there under the lights. I can't do math well in my living room... it definitely didn't get any easier there. I spent 100% of my time preparing for categories i knew I was weak in. I don't think I'm that abnormal.

This right here.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

packetmantis posted:

I don't ever pay attention to the bids at all, that's not why I watch the show. :shrug:

Yes, I'm sure this is what leads people to bet it all in third place with 5k when first and second are at 15.2 and 15.6.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 25, 2021

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Zesty posted:

Yes, I'm sure this is what leads people to bet it all in third place with 5k when first and second are at 15.2 and 15.6.

Jason z’s streak would have been 12 if either player on stage with him in game 13 had spent 20 seconds studying wagering

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6417

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m sure someone who’s been on the show has answered this before, but how much time and assistance do you actually get off-camera for the final wager?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

no assistance, but literally as much time as you want. they do give you a sharpie and paper too if I remember correctly.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

haveblue posted:

I’m sure someone who’s been on the show has answered this before, but how much time and assistance do you actually get off-camera for the final wager?

Zero assistance. You get a single sheet of paper about the size of an index card, and a sharpie. Although if you needed more paper they'd probably give it to you, I guess.

As for time, there's the whole commercial break which can go on for like >5 minutes sometimes, so it's a decent amount of time. In my second game, because there was an issue with determining if a certain answer was right or wrong, it was actually more like 20 minutes. From what I've heard there is no real hard limit but if the commercial break is over and you still haven't figured out what you're going to bet, apparently the contestant co-ordinators can come and give you a hand, although I imagine there's rules about them not being able to do the math for you (this never happened in any of the games I was at so I don't know).

I will say, as someone who not only studied wagering but also practiced it before going on (I spent probably about 3-5 hours on it in total?), it is ENORMOUSLY DIFFICULT when you're actually there. My first game, the right bet was $0. I bet everything, mainly because I went "well, I've sat on my couch and shouted "I bet everything!" at this category a few times in my life, so it's time to put up or shut up" and I'm $10k richer because of it. My second game was the one with a complicated bet. I was in third place going into final, and I wanted to bet enough to get past second place if she got it wrong, but enough past second place that I could also get past first place if he also got it wrong. I practiced this exact scenario at home in the weeks leading to tape day, including doing the math with a pen and paper on the desk.

I still hosed it up completely about three times (to the point where the first time I did it my answer was "you have to bet $32,000" or something like that, like really hosed it up) and then finally ended up with an answer that looked about right. I still added a few hundred to that figure just in case. It didn't end up mattering, but yeah, it makes a huge difference when you're under pressure under the lights, and I can completely understand how even someone who did a little bit of wager studying could gently caress it up in the moment.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

Zero assistance. You get a single sheet of paper about the size of an index card, and a sharpie. Although if you needed more paper they'd probably give it to you, I guess.

As for time, there's the whole commercial break which can go on for like >5 minutes sometimes, so it's a decent amount of time. In my second game, because there was an issue with determining if a certain answer was right or wrong, it was actually more like 20 minutes. From what I've heard there is no real hard limit but if the commercial break is over and you still haven't figured out what you're going to bet, apparently the contestant co-ordinators can come and give you a hand, although I imagine there's rules about them not being able to do the math for you (this never happened in any of the games I was at so I don't know).

This. There was a point in time when former College Championship winner and ToC participant Keith Williams would break down and analyze the Final Jeopardy wagers on his website and YouTube series called appropriately enough, The Final Wager, but he stopped doing so a couple years after my episode. I think his last one posted on YouTube was the ToC Austin Rogers was involved in.

My own wager was fairly straightforward, and Keith’s analysis vindicated my choice, but we did all get it wrong and I was in third place less than half of the leader anyway, so I pretty much had to bet it all.

You get all the time you need (within reason) for figuring out your Final Wager, and yes, you get a sheet of paper and a sharpie to work out scenarios and to also serve as your backup in case something goes wrong with the podium. This time is apparently lengthened during Tournament scenarios, given the anecdote shared by ToC participant Kristin Hamlin Sausville where she said she was taking so long to figure her Final Jeopardy wager because she was accounting for every scenario she could think of in the Championship match that Trebek actually walked up to her podium and commented if she “wasn’t too good with math, was she?” to her, in what some of us call an “Uncle Alex” moment, where he could sometimes say some really insensitive things off camera.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 25, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Trebek was weird to a woman? Say it ain’t so.

"So far, our battle of the decades, 1990s, has turned into a battle of the sexes! This week, three matches, three women have moved on. Is that good news for Claudia or does it put extra pressure on her? Mark and Dave might want to put extra pressure on her."

”Women contestants, when it comes to a Daily Double, seem to want to wager [less] because they figure, ‘Oh, this is the household money, this is the grocery money, the rent money.’ Guys say, ‘Wait a minute, I’m playing with the house money. I’m not taking any money home unless I win the game, so I can go whole hog on this wager.’”

(during a contestant interview with a retired USMC Master Sergeant) “That must be really tough for a woman because a master sergeant is giving orders most of the time.”

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
He also had a habit of calling any female contestant "young lady." Oh Alex...

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That made me think of this great moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8cMb1YTw-8

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ugh. That was hilarious until the last line.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zesty posted:

Ugh. That was hilarious until the last line.

Trebek had some pretty odd and occasionally yikes-worthy takes on social issues. Don't forget what he said about #MeToo:

quote:

“You know, when the #MeToo movement started, I had discussions with the staff during production meetings,” he said. “I said, ‘My gosh, this has got to be a scary time for men.'”

The Canadian-American continued: “I’m fortunate that I’ve never been in a position of power where I might be able to lord it over somebody sexually. I said, ‘But there are guys out there – young guys are stupid in their teens.’ There’s nothing stupider than a teenage boy. They’re operating on testosterone.”

When Marchese responded that youth isn’t always an “acceptable excuse” and that “young men are not the only ones who are a problem,” Trebek launched into an explanation of a scene from the 1994 film “Disclosure,” starring Demi Moore and Michael Douglas.

“This conversation has taken a turn,” Marchese said.

“You took a turn,” Trebek shot back.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
lmao at that middle school level comeback though

"you took a turn"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My second game, the woman at the middle podium who I'm now friends with and is awesome, is from Nebraska. Alex came up to her for her interview and started talking to her in like a FULL-ON hillbilly accent being like "Ah'm fram Nebraska where dem folks we just farmin' an' stuff", and she was like "uhhh omg how am I supposed to reply to this??"

I think they cut most of it out in editing.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

see to me, that sounds rad

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah he struck me as that type who wants to be a good person and meant well but just wasn't quite keeping up with things as they evolved.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mennoknight posted:

see to me, that sounds rad

Like, I'm sure he didn't mean to be insulting or anything by it, but it was 100% "this is not an appropriate way to imitate a stranger's origins in TYOOL 2018" and it was enormously cringe-worthy.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yeah he struck me as that type who wants to be a good person and meant well but just wasn't quite keeping up with things as they evolved.
This.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They shouldn't have accepted "gypsies". JFC.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
They all looked like they thought of it immediately and none of them wanted to ring in and say it out loud.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I am really enjoying David Koechner's winning streak this week.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Zesty posted:

They shouldn't have accepted "gypsies". JFC.

yeah, i mean, they had to when they wrote the clue, they just... shouldn't have written the clue. reminds me of that israel/palestine one from a couple years ago they tried to cut and forgot

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

also "female authors and some male ones too" is an all time hall of famer category name. what the hell lmao

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Also weren’t three of those clues about male authors?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
What was the sign that the incumbent (Kelly) flashed during his intro? It looked almost like a white power sign, but flat instead of held up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Spokes posted:

yeah, i mean, they had to when they wrote the clue, they just... shouldn't have written the clue

Why? Like, if the answer was "Who are Jews?" then they wouldn't get rid of the question, they'd probably simply view it as wrong and offensive if you said "Who are 'k***s'?" or something like that.

Roma or Romany people would have been acceptable answers, and it's not like it's particularly obscure to know that by Jeopardy standards. It's not really a case where it's "political" as such, it's the difference between a word widely recognized as a slur, and the way the group identifies itself. I think you could run into the same issue with E***** vs. Inuk or something, albeit that's a bit more contested in some areas.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

PT6A posted:

It's not really a case where it's "political" as such, it's the difference between a word widely recognized as a slur, and the way the group identifies itself.

Right, but I’d say it’s not “widely recognized as a slur” at this point, unfortunately

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There's something like a million Romani-Americans in the US, most of whom have largely assimilated. Americans are barely aware of them as an ethnicity let alone that there's a preferred nomenclature.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
While it's understandable that they should primarily known as Romani, the term Gypsy is likely the term most familiar to people especially with several TV shows using it relatively recently. TLC didn't have a show called My Big Fat American Romani Wedding.

Besides, a unanswered clue last week had the answer Myanmar and Mr. Newsman called it Burma first before saying its name.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Island Nation posted:

While it's understandable that they should primarily known as Romani, the term Gypsy is likely the term most familiar to people especially with several TV shows using it relatively recently. TLC didn't have a show called My Big Fat American Romani Wedding.

Besides, a unanswered clue last week had the answer Myanmar and Mr. Newsman called it Burma first before saying its name.
My understanding is that this specific nomenclature is more of a fraught political issue within the country than most Westerners realize. Burma was renamed Myanmar after the juntas violently repressed pro-democracy protests and seized control of the country in 1989, and many within the country still refuse to call it Myanmar because they view it as legitimating the military government.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
TBH while the clue should probably not have been included on the basis that "g*psy" was likely going to be answered by contestants, I think having somebody doing a white power symbol in his intro and letting that air is much loving worse.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 28, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Considering he flashed one and two fingers after his first and second wins he might just be trying to signal that he’s won three times and it just looks really bad

E: nope never mind, the fan account that pointed this out seems to think now that those were just for deniability

https://twitter.com/_thejeopardyfan/status/1387244555083337730?s=21

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It was one hundred percent for deniability

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, that’s pretty persuasive

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Good loving riddance

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why did second place give himself a chance to get into third place when third could not catch him in final? Not caring about throwing away $1,000 must be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zesty posted:

Why did second place give himself a chance to get into third place when third could not catch him in final? Not caring about throwing away $1,000 must be nice.

As someone who had to consider exactly this scenario: "gently caress it, I'm here to win as much money as possible, not think about how much I might lose with."

(I haven't watched tonight's episode yet, so it's possible I've missed something, but if it's like my situation was, where I was in second place and bet everything and would have lost to third place who was significantly behind me, that was the reasoning)