Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i watched that hbo qanon doc. i hate to say it, but it wasn't very good

- the doc essentially focused on the trio of jim and ron watkins and fredrick brennan. brennan is an entertaining subject and he grants an extremely high level of access to his private life, as we see him literally fleeing from law enforcement with minutes to spare in the philippines and so on; thus, he's a naturally intriguing figure. the watkinses, sadly, do not make for good documentary subjects; they're too buttoned up and careful to say anything obviously incriminating, so they just function as ciphers who say sinister things for mysterious reasons. they play up a video call with ron at the end as an apparent confession that he is q, but it's not very convincing to me
- there's very little examination of qanon's followers; they showcase a few qtuber freaks but no mention of q's popularity with christian evangelicals, class characteristics of q followers, etc.
- there's surprisingly little discussion of q's actual beliefs and mythology; i don't think i even heard the phrase "military tribunal" once in the whole doc

i dunno, i just feel like the origin story of q himself is not the most interesting part of qanon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

joe football posted:

Tv ratings for just about everything goes down every year but the oscars had no chance this year with hardly any mass appeal movies even being released, let alone nominated for major awards

This is what happens when you leave out Sonic the Hedgehog

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The parts of Mortal Kombat that didn't involve Cole were good. The parts that did involve cole were bad. Unfortunately that accounts for like a third of the film

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

- the doc essentially focused on the trio of jim and ron watkins and fredrick brennan. brennan is an entertaining subject and he grants an extremely high level of access to his private life, as we see him literally fleeing from law enforcement with minutes to spare in the philippines and so on; thus, he's a naturally intriguing figure. the watkinses, sadly, do not make for good documentary subjects; they're too buttoned up and careful to say anything obviously incriminating, so they just function as ciphers who say sinister things for mysterious reasons. they play up a video call with ron at the end as an apparent confession that he is q, but it's not very convincing to me
- there's very little examination of qanon's followers; they showcase a few qtuber freaks but no mention of q's popularity with christian evangelicals, class characteristics of q followers, etc.
- there's surprisingly little discussion of q's actual beliefs and mythology; i don't think i even heard the phrase "military tribunal" once in the whole doc

i dunno, i just feel like the origin story of q himself is not the most interesting part of qanon

My guess is because the documentary isn't about learning what Q people believe or why, it's all so at Thanksgiving some Lib can smugly tell their racist uncle that Q wasn't even in the Trump White House don't you feel foolish

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Does my fav mortal kombat character, alien from alien show up

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1387154955577040896?s=20

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
That bear is a menace!

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

i liked it but yeah its basically just about jim and ron. i think the director might've originally wanted to do something more comprehensive but then he got sucked into scooping them

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

KomradeX posted:

My guess is because the documentary isn't about learning what Q people believe or why, it's all so at Thanksgiving some Lib can smugly tell their racist uncle that Q wasn't even in the Trump White House don't you feel foolish
its not really about debunking it or owning anyone

i don't really know how youd make a doc about q. actually looking at the original source material gives you a completely different perspective than the believers, who are all enourmous freaks and morons who can't accurately describe their own beliefs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Farm Frenzy posted:

who are all enourmous freaks and morons who can't accurately describe their own beliefs

that sounds like a decent documentary. make them say what they believe then argue with each other

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

someone definitely needs to go and hang out with the couple who both have the elmer fudd speech impediment

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

joe football posted:

Tv ratings for just about everything goes down every year but the oscars had no chance this year with hardly any mass appeal movies even being released, let alone nominated for major awards

The death of mid budget movies (which seemingly happened after the 08 crash) means all that's left in hollywood besides big budget tentpoles are a bunch of Statement movies laser focused on getting an oscar, except they're so bland and inoffensive no one wants to see or remember them

loving king's speech poo poo

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
im glad Hopkins won because he owns

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

imagine if mystery men had a dozen-movie franchise

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Farm Frenzy posted:

someone definitely needs to go and hang out with the couple who both have the elmer fudd speech impediment

is that the couple where the guy constantly corrects his wife and seems angry any time she tries to talk?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

imagine if Tom Cruise and Will Smith were in the same movie how loving epic

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Oscars have to die for American cinema to even start to rebound

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Feldegast42 posted:

The Oscars have to die for American cinema to even start to rebound

i don't even know why those rising star foreign directors bother showing up, this poo poo is the death rattle of a senescent culture.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

i say swears online posted:

Flaming Carrot movie when??

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

i don't even know why those rising star foreign directors bother showing up, this poo poo is the death rattle of a senescent culture.

the discourse about china messing up by blacking out nomadland instead of bragging about the chinese director winning is very funny because they absolutely crunched the numbers and realized snubbing the oscars as irrelevant is the power move here

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's yahoo serious up to lately

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

what's yahoo serious up to lately

literally nothing. he vanished off the face of the earth, he only has like 3 imdb credits and they're all his own movies

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Low Desert Punk posted:

literally nothing. he vanished off the face of the earth, he only has like 3 imdb credits and they're all his own movies

his wiki says he got evicted from his apartment for non payment of rent.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

his wiki says he got evicted from his apartment for non payment of rent.

someone buy him an account

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

uber_stoat posted:

residual prestige

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

you win an oscar so you can secure all those sweet sweet gigs directing marvel movies and sell your ip to hbo

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

mastershakeman posted:

The death of mid budget movies (which seemingly happened after the 08 crash) means all that's left in hollywood besides big budget tentpoles are a bunch of Statement movies laser focused on getting an oscar, except they're so bland and inoffensive no one wants to see or remember them

loving king's speech poo poo

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai was $2 million in budget and would not come out today without fulfilling producer-expected quotas or so much CGI that it increases the budget several times.

I want more movies that are under $10 million. Like the new Invisible Man.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there hasn't been a new air bud in eight years smh

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

theres probably more mid budget poo poo being made right now than at any point in the latst 30 years but its all netflix movies that look and feel like a lets play of gears of war

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hodgepodge posted:

residual prestige

In a way it's kind of like how even long after the Roman Empire was dust and ashes, everyone still tried to get prestige by being "Roman". Whether you pretended you were somehow the third Rome or claimed being Pope made you Pontifex Maximus or you pretended that your country was founded by a secret Roman/Trojan exile named Brutus. I suspect that if tomorrow the U.S was vaporized by a meteor that many of it's trappings would be squabbled over by the rest of the world.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

that would rule, actually

wes studi criminally underrated as the sphinx

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

galagazombie posted:

In a way it's kind of like how even long after the Roman Empire was dust and ashes, everyone still tried to get prestige by being "Roman". Whether you pretended you were somehow the third Rome or claimed being Pope made you Pontifex Maximus or you pretended that your country was founded by a secret Roman/Trojan exile named Brutus. I suspect that if tomorrow the U.S was vaporized by a meteor that many of it's trappings would be squabbled over by the rest of the world.

Except that the USA is reviled and despised worldwide?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't think the rest of the world liked rome while it was around either

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
They wouldve at least recognised Rome as something to aspire to as a state. The USA not so much

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

you would be surprised the 2020 election has been really stark in terms of showing which foreign news orgs are actually doing their own research instead of just regurgitating mainstream american talking points because to this day a whole fuckton of world leaders continue to ignore joe bidens actual words and actions to instead engage with the fantasy version who represents wholesome pax americana

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

thatfatkid posted:

Except that the USA is reviled and despised worldwide?

by common people, maybe, but every ruling class freak in the world would be scrambling to claim the tangential shine of being US adjacent, especially once the US isn't around to nuke people anymore

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

nomadland wasnt very good at all. im not surprised it won though, what america needed right now is film directed by an Asian American woman that was a platitudinal throwback to the New American Realism movement from the obama years. mcdormand still owns tho

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

you would be surprised the 2020 election has been really stark in terms of showing which foreign news orgs are actually doing their own research instead of just regurgitating mainstream american talking points because to this day a whole fuckton of world leaders continue to ignore joe bidens actual words and actions to instead engage with the fantasy version who represents wholesome pax americana

that’s also what they did with Obama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isnt nomadland just about how america is special and perfect even if youre A Poor

when is "FOUR BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI" coming out, i like frances mcdormand too