Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Prettz posted:

Xu Xiaodong

also has his own yt channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIXOIjR2mp8tHz78DE0vj2A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pretty ballsy dude, that’s the one!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
China as a nation and even on the local level, such as the national basketball and soccer leagues, tends to do badly at team sports and I think it's because of how the system works. They have a system where children are picked at preschool to be athletes based on their physical traits and go to special sports schools and colleges where they just train in their sport and don't get much of an actual education. It's on the same level as the United States where Olympic level athletes end up homeless and begging for change because they can barely read or write and they're too old and/or broke down to be an athlete. Unlike in the US though, where team sports and the development of talent is much more organic due to lack of national system sorting and judging athletes, kids are just drilled and trained in their area so this makes them great at solo stuff but bad at team efforts because their isn't an emphasis on their ability on a team, it's more their individual traits like looking at an RPG character.

It's a uniquely Chinese issue because if you look at soccer, South Korea, North Korea, and Japan tend to do better than them. It has to be the state managed system because it makes no sense otherwise. Countries too with much smaller populations and they just perform much better.

EDIT:

Control of Chinese athletes used to be so overbearing that even in the early 80's Olympic athletes were told who they were to marry. Yao Ming's parents were pretty much told they were going to marry and produce a child as a eugenics project to make an athlete.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 27, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hey, it involves farts, explosions, and military idiocy, why wouldn't you take any excuse to talk about it

I was being sincere although in sober hindsight it might not be a great gimmick.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Apologies for the cursed Reddit and daily Mail link

But one wonders, is it Chinese tests giving false positives, or Indian nationals buying fake negative results.

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/mzmeil/52_passengers_on_one_flight_from_delhi_to_hong/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kharnifex posted:

But one wonders, is it Chinese tests giving false positives, or Indian nationals buying fake negative results.

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/mzmeil/52_passengers_on_one_flight_from_delhi_to_hong/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

why not both?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Jeoh posted:

why not both?

Someone please edit the old el paso Mexican girl gif but she's clearly ill.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

China as a nation and even on the local level, such as the national basketball and soccer leagues, tends to do badly at team sports and I think it's because of how the system works. They have a system where children are picked at preschool to be athletes based on their physical traits and go to special sports schools and colleges where they just train in their sport and don't get much of an actual education. It's on the same level as the United States where Olympic level athletes end up homeless and begging for change because they can barely read or write and they're too old and/or broke down to be an athlete. Unlike in the US though, where team sports and the development of talent is much more organic due to lack of national system sorting and judging athletes, kids are just drilled and trained in their area so this makes them great at solo stuff but bad at team efforts because their isn't an emphasis on their ability on a team, it's more their individual traits like looking at an RPG character.

It's a uniquely Chinese issue because if you look at soccer, South Korea, North Korea, and Japan tend to do better than them. It has to be the state managed system because it makes no sense otherwise. Countries too with much smaller populations and they just perform much better.

EDIT:

Control of Chinese athletes used to be so overbearing that even in the early 80's Olympic athletes were told who they were to marry. Yao Ming's parents were pretty much told they were going to marry and produce a child as a eugenics project to make an athlete.

I am always surprised China isn't better at basketball on a national level.

All jokes about "Haha Chinese people are short! How could they ever play basketball?" aside, it was the sport that so many kids/young people were interested in and played. When I taught at a University in Chengdu, all the students would play basketball during their lunch breaks, and after class. Even in Fuzhou, the high school kids loved to play basketball amongst themselves. It was the social sport of choice. The NBA and also the local CBA are hugely popular as spectator sports also.

Australians and Indians aren't inherently better at cricket than the rest of the world, just as Brazillians aren't inherently better at soccer. They are the best in the world because these are the sports that the kids play and enjoy from a young age, and grow up watching and doing. So I assumed it would be with basketball in China. But it hasn't happened.

I don't know why. The argument I can think of is that there are no consistent levels of coaching and training from junior level to amateur level to lower leagues eventually to the big leagues, as there in with other countries/sports. The good players are expected to be Yao Ming immediately, and when they aren't they are discarded and ignored. The CBA focuses on bringing in expensive imported players to increase the level of the league whislt ignoring the grass roots. (Chinese soccer does this too.) But these are half thought, ill informed opinions. Someone with a better knowledge of Chinese sport could probably give better explanations.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the state control of everything is definitely a part of it but certainly part of it is cultural too, right? which would make sense, as china pretty much nuked it's own culture like five decades ago

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I've spent the past 7 years watching teenagers who think they're Steph Curry and then shoot brick after brick, and never get better, but this may be a worldwide thing now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GoutPatrol posted:

I've spent the past 7 years watching teenagers who think they're Steph Curry and then shoot brick after brick, and never get better, but this may be a worldwide thing now.

Kids who are bad at sports thinking they're the next superstar is a worldwide thing, yes.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
It's honestly a miracle that there is a single professional athlete from South Korea given the schedule of your average 5-18 year old.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Blistex posted:

It's honestly a miracle that there is a single professional athlete from South Korea given the schedule of your average 5-18 year old.

This is definitely not helping Chinese kids either.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Ichiro Suzuki is Japanese, but from this thread it sounds like his experience is pretty similar to Chinese/Korean kids; https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/22624561/ichiro-suzuki-return-seattle-mariners-resolve-internal-battle

(honestly I'm just looking for an excuse to post about one of my favorite baseball players)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sounds like Ichiro has crippling OCD.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The kwisatz haderach of throwing a ball into a hoop

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

The kwisatz haderach of throwing a ball into a hoop

He was supposed to have been a girl! :mad:

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
the rice must flow

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sandworms went extinct because sandworm penis is supposedly an aphrodisiac.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Zensunni Wanderers were rounded up and forced into re-education camps.

The Red Capitalist Bible is nothing but Xi Jinping Thought.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

LostCosmonaut posted:

Ichiro Suzuki is Japanese, but from this thread it sounds like his experience is pretty similar to Chinese/Korean kids; https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/22624561/ichiro-suzuki-return-seattle-mariners-resolve-internal-battle

(honestly I'm just looking for an excuse to post about one of my favorite baseball players)

Japan is a fair shake different. Especially with team sports. But they do take it very seriously, and you’ll have stuff like kids who want to do a certain sport going out of their way to join the local school with the best team etc.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

McGavin posted:

He was supposed to have been a girl! :mad:

The Padishah Emperor is undisputed ruler over trillions of humans across the entire galaxy (and has banned pictures of Winnie the Pooh because it hurts his feelings)

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
spitting is a sign of respect you see

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Kharnifex posted:

HK gov has arrangements to let mainland Chinese with verified -ve test result come in. guess what, there are more than a dozen "imported cases" from this category of visitors.

from our perspective China was just as bad as India, and is still nowhere near clean like their official numbers says.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
To me, identifying kids from an early age and dumping time and resources into them until they burn out and winnowing down to the handful that survive the process as a recruiting system is pretty stupid since it ignores everyone that develops athleticism after kindergarten.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
But how else are you supposed to create Astartes? :confused:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

News of Chloé Zhao’s “Nomadland” Oscar win is censored in China

Sheesh.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Atlas Hugged posted:

To me, identifying kids from an early age and dumping time and resources into them until they burn out and winnowing down to the handful that survive the process as a recruiting system is pretty stupid since it ignores everyone that develops athleticism after kindergarten.

Aha, but don't you see, once you've produced Ultra Mega Athletes, you can parade them upon the world stage to awe other nations with your strength and power! (aaaaand then undo it all by whining constantly about your feelings being hurt after other countries got medals)

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

they are so good at C&P they will replicate oscar with something else soon.

they can call it the Xi's Academy with Chinese characteristics

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/28/hong-kong-passes-law-that-can-stop-people-leaving

It may be time for some people to consider an exit strategy

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

if you are still in Hong Kong for any reason you are literally insane

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Now now smartly dressed money laundering consultants can happily and safely visit 1939 Berlin Dubai Hong Kong and report back on how it's actually very well run and wowzers these guys are building the future!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Have we seen an exodus of the corporations/money that made Hong Kong so valuable yet?

Coz why would you do business in Hong Kong now? Coz even if you *have* to do business with the CCP, do it in Shanghai where at least you are dealing with the bastards directly and there is a chance you might slip under their radar. But in Hong Kong with all these new draconian clampdowns, and scrutiny etc. you are hosed.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I remember in the 90's, Hong Kong (and to a certain extent, Taiwan) was the place for just about every kind of "unlicensed" video game hardware peripheral, from standard things like controllers to the legally-grey "backup units"/copiers and straight up copyright infringing multicarts/clone systems, and it was all manufactured there. There was an entire multi-floor market building called Golden something-or-other catering to this stuff. I asked someone once why all this stuff came from HK and TW and not the mainland, and they said something to the effect that the CCP decided video games were disharmonious and banned them in the mainland, so mainlanders would come to HK for the contraband and I guess, smuggle it home.

I don't think console games are still banned in the mainland, but plenty of other things are (many books, films, etc) and I'm sure the cooler mainland people still come to HK to get forbidden works. I don't really follow the news on this much but I'm wondering if the CCP is already making blatant moves to make what's banned in the mainland banned in HK as well? If I was a HKer this would pretty much cause me to transform into the rage guy meme

e: to be clear I'm talking about blanket bans on stuff and poo poo like "whitelisting" movies, not "just" banning specific pro-democracy book by whoever they think is going to get the protestors riled up. more stuff like "movies with ghosts are illegal" and that nonsense

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 29, 2021

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

d0s posted:

I don't think console games are still banned in the mainland

china banned animal crossing last year lol

but yeah, games as a whole aren't banned

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

China just had a crackdown on noted Chinese anime titty WWII warship game, Azur Lane, and removed 18 characters that had been in the game since it was launched in 2018.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

McGavin posted:

China just had a crackdown on noted Chinese anime titty WWII warship game, Azur Lane, and removed 18 characters that had been in the game since it was launched in 2018.

Broken clock etc

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The pictures of Chinese WoW where they have removed all the bones and replaced them with bits of meat are pretty funny.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A beautiful world with beautiful places to visit

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

d0s posted:

e: to be clear I'm talking about blanket bans on stuff and poo poo like "whitelisting" movies, not "just" banning specific pro-democracy book by whoever they think is going to get the protestors riled up. more stuff like "movies with ghosts are illegal" and that nonsense

ghost dad banned by accident