Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Necrosaro posted:

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes had a crafting system that was pretty complicated and engaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W5snx6pcHg

Ouch, watching that for 5 minutes was painful.

Glad i never got in Vanguard Crafting.

There's actually a Vanguard EMU that these 2-3 guys have been working on for about 6 years?

They dont't make very much progress but you can download the client and play/gently caress around...

https://vgoemulator.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to play that SOLO mmo i think

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Already bought it lol

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

The fact that the big concern was “what’s the store gonna have in it?” so the devs just had a livestream and showed the store and said “this is exactly what will be in it” is what got me to bite.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I am also leaning towards playing that SOLO mmo, my concern is combat not really living up to what they're describing. I saw a few videos online and they didn't exactly look as dynamic as I hoped.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

eonwe posted:

im going to play that SOLO mmo i think

Which one? Google's turning up nothing.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ambaire posted:

Which one? Google's turning up nothing.

I'm guessing its this one? Chinese action MMO with super-high production values. Very notably subscription-based with no P2W elements. Steam says there's a Western release in the summer.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

1stGear posted:

I'm guessing its this one? Chinese action MMO with super-high production values. Very notably subscription-based with no P2W elements. Steam says there's a Western release in the summer.

They aren't doing a sub for the western release, it will be b2p and as eonwe said earlier, the cash shop they showed was not p2w. Who knows if that actually will hold true though. Unlike what this older video implies, some of the newer classes china has introduced are gender locked, because they are *drumroll* lolis.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

1stGear posted:

That looks rather fun. Bit of a wild mashup with elements from Tera, Warframe, Guild Wars 2, and FFXIV. Super detailed character creator, too.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
I watched my friend play it for a bit, was super clunk.

Will end up playing it as I'll be mocked by my discord for missing a fotm.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Simon Numbers posted:

I watched my friend play it for a bit, was super clunk.

Will end up playing it as I'll be mocked by my discord for missing a fotm.

Excuse me sir or madam but you should appreciate a discord that FOTMs. You could be in my discord, which plays the same 5 year old games into perpetuity forever and ever.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

This is super disappointing. I was hoping to get into that when it came out, since this one is so old. Any time I start a super old game with a ton of content I always feel lost.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you just gotta power through it, I just recently started killing time by starting up LotRO and there's a lot of poo poo to worry about but I'm just ignoring half of it so I can focus on murdering goblins with violin solos.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
last time i played lotro i found a random kinship and joined it. the people playing were ecstatic to share their love of the game with a new player, and they dutifully brought me through old content that most folks don't run so i could experience more of the game.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Zaphod42 posted:

You just need huge spaces and reasons to trek back and forth across them and slowly explore more places, and have them all be dangerous enough you can't just do it at at level 1.

Clan Lord (Delta Tao) was perfect for this, and only suffered from the owner really taking a vacation from managing the devs (IE: making certain that they actually completed quest lines that they began). Was a small game that each couple of weeks there would be a small update. In the beginning those updates included additions to the world, new questlines, new mechanics for classes, etc, but none of it was documented. The players had to find out on their own. As the world got larger and larger, players really had to make an effort to find out if and what was added. That said (in the beginning) the devs paid attention to what RP story lines players were acting out, and would often take that as inspiration.

In Town Center there were actual mob invasions, there were also Dev orchestrated invasions and activities on other areas of the world.

The game was really rudimentary combat wise, but really had a LOT of depth to it. IIRC it is still technically running but I have no idea to what capacity the devs or owner are contributing. There is no game that I put more hours of gameplay into.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 28, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Frida Call Me posted:

last time i played lotro i found a random kinship and joined it. the people playing were ecstatic to share their love of the game with a new player, and they dutifully brought me through old content that most folks don't run so i could experience more of the game.

Wholesome. How's the story and presentation? I remember trying it ages ago, but dropped it at my first "kill ten wolves" quest, thinking I've done this in WoW already.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

THE BAR posted:

Wholesome. How's the story and presentation? I remember trying it ages ago, but dropped it at my first "kill ten wolves" quest, thinking I've done this in WoW already.

yep, there's a good deal of cull bounties at the start. the most enjoyable part of the game was completing the epic questlines, or "ring quests". you can follow the fellowship from the trilogy as they travel through middle-earth while you're progressing. moria, or volume II of the epic questlines, was a complete delight.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
LOTRO has an absolutely amazing game world, it’s visually stunning despite how old it is, but the avatar graphics and combat are just way too janky for me. The engine feels like your animations are moving through molasses and the combat system in general is just not intuitive to me with the way damage is laid out in skills. I play a ton of older MMOs and always wish I could get into this one.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
SOLO looks kind of promising, I also came across Elyon while researching it, anyone played that or know more about it? They seem to be similar combat wise.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Elyon screams traditional cash shop kmmo, especially its publisher. I'd expect a horrid insecure anticheat wrapped in the package too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

Elyon screams traditional cash shop kmmo, especially its publisher. I'd expect a horrid insecure anticheat wrapped in the package too.

It looks like a spiritual sequel to TERA basically.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ort posted:

LOTRO has an absolutely amazing game world, it’s visually stunning despite how old it is, but the avatar graphics and combat are just way too janky for me. The engine feels like your animations are moving through molasses and the combat system in general is just not intuitive to me with the way damage is laid out in skills. I play a ton of older MMOs and always wish I could get into this one.

It also doesn't help that they're limited to the LOTR universe, which is a pretty low magic world compared to most fantasy settings.

So you can choose to be a spear-guy or a bow-guy or a guy-who-reads-books.

If you could throw fireballs you'd upstage Gandalf so we can't have that, so you basically get to choose between playing Warrior, Rogue or Ranger and that's it.

Its like the beginning of FFXIV when they make you be a spear-guy or a punch-guy until you get to level 30 and become a real adult dragoon or monk and get all the funky magic attacks.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

to be fair "guy who reads books" can have a pet bear I believe, and also you can be a guy who turns into a bear which is pretty sweet.

They're adding a punch-ey monk-ey brawler type guy apparently in the new expansion and there's a few very vocal people on the forums who are NOT happy lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I think they do a good job with the level of 'magic' in LotR, it's all very nature based, no real 'fireball hurlers' no but you can do cool poo poo like throw flaming charcoal at people and summon a wind gust to make the fire flare up for extra damage while your lynx bro claws their face off. Not as flashy as, say, FF for sure, but very cool in its own way for me. But then again I'm a LotR nerd so I am biased.

Also yea I've been enjoying the small but very annoying people angry about 'punch man' coming down the pipe, because ya know it's not like one of the whole rear end hobbits in the fellowship's entire qualifications to be there was 'I do wrestling, I can defend myself' or anything!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

LOTR magic was always bafflingly limited considering the nature of wizards.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jokes posted:

LOTR magic was always bafflingly limited considering the nature of wizards.

No, not really. Its just a LOTR "Wizard" isn't the same thing as a D&D / WOW "Wizard". LOTR doesn't have "wizards". LOTR has something else that go by the same name.

Gandalf is basically an angel who has no "magic" in the overt sense that we refer to it, but has the ability to inspire people and reincarnate.

Honestly the Jackson movies playing up the ability to conjure fire somewhat irks me, as it conflates Gandalf into being more of a D&D "wizard" as lots of people assume, just adding to the confusion.

That said, technically Gandalf bears the Elven magic ring of fire, so I can see where they got it. (Even then though, Tolkien describes the ring of fire more as being able to "kindle hearts" rather than throw fireballs)

LOTR is a world where "Spells per day" just doesn't exist. There *is* magic, but its magic in song, or in crafting swords or rings, not in magic scrolls that let you levitate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the reason LotR magic feels 'limited' is because the wizards in it aren't rando dudes who studied magic, they're straight up angels who's main duties are to bring out the potential in the mortal world. Loremasters in LotRO aren't even Gandalf style, they're just nerds who studied nature and ancient knowledge enough to kinda sorta do some cool tricks woven into their knowledge of 'if I throw this gourd full of tar down and drop a match on it that'll really gently caress these Orcs under me up'. They're functionally just crunchy hippy alchemists.

Runesmiths are loving bullshit though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gandalf could do some wild poo poo, but that is not his role. like the eagles he's there to help the mortals and elves but not do everything for them

i don't see any reason a mortal spellcaster couldn't outclass gandalf - not in what they can do, but what they're willing to do. but generally magic like that is for Bad Dudes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Angels in the bible blinded sex pests before getting God to slam dunk meteors on the perverts' town. LOTR is a very chill time/setting despite the drama and presumptive capabilities of the actors within it. I mean Tolkien was a religious dude he's no stranger to stories of incredible divinity burning people to death and junk.

LOTR rules, but the magic in it is just exceedingly limited, especially considering what it spawned in the greater arena of fiction. Like DND is what it is as a direct result of Tolkien, so it's funny that that version of magic inspired the general understanding of wizardry instead of LOTR wizards (outside of the look).

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 29, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I don't know if "limited" is the word I'd use, that makes it sound like its held back.

Like, Conan is another story where magic sorta exists but is pretty rare and not well understood. That can be a really interesting setting.

Sometimes I like fantasy where there's a wizard for hire in every town, but sometimes its cool not to have that.

LOTR doesn't have magic like that because it'd get in the way of the human element of the story. LOTR is basically like a Boy Scouts novel; its a bunch of bros going on a hike together to save the world.

Conjuring lightning and teleporting and flying gets in the way of a story about literally walking.

But I do think that makes for a lame setting for an MMORPG, with a lot lot lot less class differentiation than in something like Everquest which is otherwise very Tolkien-esque if not for everybody having the ability to throw fireballs and conjure skeletons and stuff.

A LOTR MMO could work really well for me but it'd need to be more based on clunky melee combat instead of the WoW style skillbars stuff which really favors having flashy magic attacks.

sexpig by night posted:

Loremasters in LotRO aren't even Gandalf style, they're just nerds who studied nature and ancient knowledge enough to kinda sorta do some cool tricks woven into their knowledge of 'if I throw this gourd full of tar down and drop a match on it that'll really gently caress these Orcs under me up'. They're functionally just crunchy hippy alchemists.

Yeah these are the "guys-who-read-books" that I mentioned before, which is them trying to come up with a sorta wizard class for a setting that shouldn't really have hobbit wizards. It sorta works but its not quite as exciting.

Also reminds me of SWTOR, where the dark side sith have force lightning and force choke and all these things to call on for RPG abilities. But for the Jedi side, well, Jedi are supposed to be about council and peace and stuff, but this is an MMORPG so we need magic attacks...

So you end up getting moves that are like "float tiny rocks at them!" even if there's no tiny rocks on the planet you're currently on :cheeky: ah well.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 29, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I understand what you're saying, and honestly LOTR is better for not getting into the power fantasy of more modern sword and sorcery tales. It's a story about walking, good vs. evil, and smoking drugs

Well, I guess it would make sense to consider that there's likely some parity between the bad guys and the good guys, and the bad guys do some dope poo poo in LOTR. So if the Balrogs are supposed to be the evil version of Maiar, you'd think that Gandalf could do some wacko poo poo if he felt like it. Which I truly think he could, if the stories about what people were up to in the first age are at all operative. I mean, mountain-sized dragons being slain by dudes riding angelic flying boats? And Gandalf can't throw a lightning bolt? Please

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I mean, in The Hobbit Gandalf straight up drops some AOE lightning on a group of goblins and kills them. His magic is subtle most of the time, but he definitely wrecks dudes with it occasionally. He also talks to animals and cures Theoden by basically just talking at him, so he clearly packed some points into his charisma stat and is a hybrid dps/heals class.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i think the problem comes down to the fact that not everyone can be Gandalf.

I recall SWG at launch being like, "bruh, you can totally be a jedi. you just have to figure out the secret path :smuggo:"

then later they were like "ok we actually added it in, but its SECRET!" and folks quickly figured out that you had to grind badges and random professions and you could unlock jedi. and it loving sucked but at least they were kinda rare.

then they did the combat upgrade and everyone could be a jedi and it was way worse.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

cmdrk posted:

i think the problem comes down to the fact that not everyone can be Gandalf.

I recall SWG at launch being like, "bruh, you can totally be a jedi. you just have to figure out the secret path :smuggo:"

then later they were like "ok we actually added it in, but its SECRET!" and folks quickly figured out that you had to grind badges and random professions and you could unlock jedi. and it loving sucked but at least they were kinda rare.

then they did the combat upgrade and everyone could be a jedi and it was way worse.

Combat Upgrade added the Village. Jedi were still somewhat rare and required a time investment. NGE is when you could just pick the Jedi class.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the story behind what the Jedi were REALLY supposed to be is a wild one. This is a good read:

A Jedi Saga

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I really like the loremaster and how it deals with the “low magic” nature of LotRO PCs but

sexpig by night posted:

Runesmiths are loving bullshit though.

:hmmyes:

It’s a clunky 14 year old mmo but I love it dearly. It’d be sweet if they revamped the leveling process like Old Republic did where you only have to do the main quests and not every warg rear end collection.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Man I really wish I had given SWG more of a go back in its heyday, everything I ever read or hear about it makes me think it was right up my alley and I was just oblivious.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
SWG was my first MMO and part of me has been lowkey chasing that experience ever since. Probably time for me to check out whatever SWG EMU server is in vogue these days...

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It's annoying when you fully explore an area while on the wrong track for a quest, and then you find what you were looking for in a different nearby location, and then you get like two or three more quests in the chain to go back to that area again. In Lord of the Rings Online, I even looted the Spider-Queen's head after slaying her, still in my inventory, and it still wants me on a quest to slay her again. I've done this a few times in The Old Republic. It's never happened in Star Trek Online, but that's probably because most of its ground missions take place in hallways or village-type areas.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah if I had to give any advice as someone leveling for the first time, from experience, always keep your main quests current because they WILL send you to the rear end end of that monster nest you just cleared out for those 7 other quests and hey look everything's respawned lol

I'm dealing with Radaghast right now and he's sent me into the same ruin 3 times already, back to back