Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just remembering the landmark tech SSOCS and how it changed video games forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Popete posted:

Quote this when server meshing t0 is in game and it fixes none of these issues.

Server meshing won't fix any of that since I described iCache. Server meshing will increase perceived player counts (since you'll have 50 people in a single planet instead of the whole star system), and it will hopefully free up resources for AI logic. That is unless CIG throws more game instances on a single server and AI logic is still resource starved. Which they could very well decide to do.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Nalin posted:

Server meshing won't fix any of that since I described iCache. Server meshing will increase perceived player counts (since you'll have 50 people in a single planet instead of the whole star system), and it will hopefully free up resources for AI logic. That is unless CIG throws more game instances on a single server and AI logic is still resource starved. Which they could very well decide to do.

How much server resource does it take to get an NPC to stand on a chair, anyway?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Grubby Hobo posted:

How much server resource does it take to get an NPC to stand on a chair, anyway?

The AI system is so overloaded because it there are thousands of potential chairs to stand on and it needs to evaluate each one.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ThirdMerryAnglerfish-mobile.mp4

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Sarsapariller posted:

Look at all this FUD. Think of all the things CIG has already implemented that have never been done before!

* Internal Physics Grids!
* 64-bit Engine Tech & Procedural Edge Blending, which FIXED EVERYTHING
* Unified First And Third-Person Animations!
* Face Over IP!
* Item System 2.0!, which FIXED EVERYTHING
* Procedural Food!
* Serialized Variables, which FIXED EVERYTHING
* Procedural Planets!
* Procedural Planets, Again!
* Procedural Planets, One More Time!
* Network Bind Culling, which FIXED EVERYTHING
* Render To Texture And Viewports!
* Real Time Cloth Deformation!
* Procedural Gas Clouds!
* Object Container Streaming, which FIXED EVERYTHING
* Subsumption AI!
* Physically Based Rendering!
* Signed Distance Fields!

Now maybe it seems to you like this is years worth of bullshit that took years longer to add than single devs working out of their garages can do, and/or added useless complexity to an already bloated-beyond-belief project without bringing it one step closer to completion. You might even argue that many of these are not even visible at all in the final product! But may I add that these things also cost a shitload of money, and in many cases made the game actively worse to play! So suck on that, hater!

This is like a mod list to try and do crazy poo poo in skyrim or something. No wonder nothing loving works.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

DocCynical posted:

This is like a mod list to try and do crazy poo poo in skyrim or something. No wonder nothing loving works.

Well yes but it's not Skyrim it's CryEngine circa 2011

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Watching (well, binging actually) Battlestar Galactica right now, and wonder why we've never had a really good BSG game. Its fun, trashy sci fi and has a decent IP, unlike a certain space game made by bears.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
:lol: at server meshing being just transfer player to different server while he is at a loading screen, i.e. 15 minute quantum travel where you cannot even steer your stupid chariot. And this took them 10 years to get? Like what was the original plan? Would the whole universe run in one single cryengine.exe?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Gravity_Storm posted:

Watching (well, binging actually) Battlestar Galactica right now, and wonder why we've never had a really good BSG game. Its fun, trashy sci fi and has a decent IP, unlike a certain space game made by bears.

You could always play Diaspora.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQ8AfibsVc

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Diaspora is fantastic. Best Freespace 2 mod out there imho.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Gravity_Storm posted:

The BSG craze didn't survive the nonsensical final season and ending. Bit like Game of Thrones, just ahead of its time.

The Diaspora people had released a demo of Beyond the Red Line, with 3 missions, before they moved on, I remember it being fun to play and pretty atmospheric. You were playing as a Viper pilot, before the hunt for that celebrity Cylon ship with a scar. Haven't played Diaspora though, so maybe it's just what BtRL was aspiring to be.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

FishMcCool posted:

The BSG craze didn't survive the nonsensical final season and ending. Bit like Game of Thrones, just ahead of its time.

The Diaspora people had released a demo of Beyond the Red Line, with 3 missions, before they moved on, I remember it being fun to play and pretty atmospheric. You were playing as a Viper pilot, before the hunt for that celebrity Cylon ship with a scar. Haven't played Diaspora though, so maybe it's just what BtRL was aspiring to be.

For me BSG was getting more nonsensical as it went on, not just final season. It is almost like authors didn't really know where they were going with it. Especially annoying for me were plotlines that went nowhere and just fizzled out without any ending to them.

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Nalin posted:

I mean, at its simplest, all it is doing is having a different server keep a record of entities. And the big problem it will solve is not wiping player's ships when the server crashes. A server crash will erase your ship and all your cargo, which is why players avoid doing risky activities like hauling cargo or mining.

I can't wait until the wizards at CIG invent this groundbreaking tech.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FishMcCool posted:

It's perhaps telling that both series got really good board games that were using the earlier storylines as their basis.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Gravity_Storm posted:

Which BSG? There was a decent boardgame out of the newer one.

And a few video games as well. None were spectacular, the one thing I've heard about them was that Deadlock was "okay".

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The Battlestar Galactica boardgame is really good if you don't use the expansions, which just make a long game longer and introduce a bunch of questionable balance decisions.

I wish someone would remake that game with a more generic theme, there's nothing else quite like it.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Thanks for the tip. Somehow that game went under the radar, going to take a look.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Did I miss an update? I've seen this image thrown around the web, claiming that Star Citizen has now pushable trolleys, but I missed the talk about this here:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Kikas posted:

Did I miss an update? I've seen this image thrown around the web, claiming that Star Citizen has now pushable trolleys, but I missed the talk about this here:

Yes, it led to this, as always.

https://v.redd.it/1boz79ts20s61/DASH_480.mp4

https://v.redd.it/dcl8x3a9bks61/DASH_480.mp4

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

peter gabriel posted:

It's extra extra funny because we are only 3 and a half years away from the only example they can use is Duke Nukem Forever :v:
What's going to be extremely funny is when they stop being an ambiguous decade into development and start lapping themselves on some of their major milestone announcements. Answer The Call, 2026!

necroid
May 14, 2009

lmao is the game ready yet? did it even leave alpha stage? next year it's going to be 10 years of development ffs

how much money have they gotten in the meantime, can someone sum up the current state of the project?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

necroid posted:

can someone sum up the current state of the project?

The shopping trolley videos do a good job

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Why do these clips never have sound?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

CSM posted:

Why do these clips never have sound?

Ripped from reddit

It could be worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blPpnnSOiwk

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

commando in tophat posted:

For me BSG was getting more nonsensical as it went on, not just final season. It is almost like authors didn't really know where they were going with it. Especially annoying for me were plotlines that went nowhere and just fizzled out without any ending to them.

Oh I'm with you. The final season just brings all the nonsense together and takes it to another level entirely. I still watched it, morbid curiosity, etc.

And well, it's not *like* the authors didn't really know where they were going, they confirmed it. The cylons allegedly had a plan, but the authors hadn't decided what it was...

Still, those first two seasons at least were great, and there are plenty of good moments amidst the nonsense afterwards.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Shiloh posted:

For the last loving time, with feeling:

IT'S BLOBERS!!!

Could it be he's a Joe willing to blo bers?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

commando in tophat posted:

At least one, possibly two of the big subplots fizzled out because an actor left for something else.

My main gripe in the later seasons was that basically the entire cast were traumatized ptsd-ridden shells of their former selves, most had undergone torture and they were all either terrorists or had merely actively tried to murder a fellow crewmate. It started to feel like they had written the characters into a very dark corner and couldn’t figure out what to do with them.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yep, still really enjoy watching BSG, despite bad decisions.

New Caprica season is very annoying, the cylons actually have no plan, and a whole lot of other weird plot lines.

The board game is probably the best thing to come out of the show.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Tippis posted:

It's perhaps telling that both series got really good board games that were using the earlier storylines as their basis.

I absolutely love the Battlestar Galactica board game, but the instruction manual is legendarily poorly written. If my kid ever says "Why do I need to learn English? I already speak it!," my response is just going to be to plop that manual down in front of him. The board game is so fun, but God drat whoever wrote that manual has seriously no idea how to organize ideas or explain concepts to a reader that isn't already knowledgeable about the subject.

If anyone here likes board games, though, I do highly recommend it.

edit: the board game based on the new show

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Gravity_Storm posted:

Check out Disaspora for Freespace 2.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

FishMcCool posted:

Lol I did the flight model for BTRL. Same username too.

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 28, 2021

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

Sure seems like maybe a small piece of work being hyped up into something important for the sake of pretending that there is visible progress!

But CIG would never do that

Oops my finger slipped and I quoted my own post

So i didn't read the thread for like a year or so.

I remember the "billionaire/ investors chops off roberts dick for stealing their money" deadline that was supposed to pop last year got moved forward.

Was there a new deadline made? I don't see agent posts in the last few pages unless they changed their avatar.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Nalin posted:

Just out of curiosity, what happens when a 51st commando tries to land on the planet?

Does a separate server get spun up for him? What if his friends are on the other server? Do they have a way to play together?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Just out of curiosity, what happens when a 51st commando tries to land on the planet?

Does a separate server get spun up for him? What if his friends are on the other server? Do they have a way to play together?

In other games, like Guild Wars 2, the game would try to match players who have been marked as "friends" into a single instance, and would force that if they form up a party, spinning instances as necessary. There would be systems for seamless transition between the severs so the players wouldn't notice, or not, which would be fixed by going over and back a loading border, maybe leaving atmosphere. I think NMS does it like that as well.

This is Star Citizen, so adding someone to your party when he would be the 51st player on the server would result in a 30k Error.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

FishMcCool posted:

I started to lose track and sense when everybody started meeting in their dreams in a hotel room or something and suddenly they went the way of Lost and just decided to not explain anything at all for any reason and the cohesion between episodes started to dissolve. I think they too realized this because the whole show ended not much further after this crazy and the end almost made no sense at all either and I was left disappointed.

But not quite to the level of GoT. I think I was going to hurl a chair through a window when winter finally came and went in the span of a single episode, and then it was immediately back to the norm again except less sense.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Kikas posted:

This is Star Citizen, so adding someone to your party when he would be the 51st player on the server would result in a 30k Error.

Maybe server could just randomly kill somebody. It's not like that would be outside of anything commandos are used to

The Titanic posted:

But not quite to the level of GoT. I think I was going to hurl a chair through a window when winter finally came and went in the span of a single episode, and then it was immediately back to the norm again except less sense.

I only saw last season of GoT, except first and last episode, and it was glorious. It was like watching the highest budget B-series of all times. One episode was video game characters murdering endless hordes of zombies (I think there wasn't anything else in the episode), in another there was a dragon that wasn't breathing fire, but dynamite. All in all, I had a great time, but not for the reasons authors wanted :)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The one thing CIG are always going on about is their attention to detail, yet the hands are positioned inside the push bar of the trolley cart

Isn't that something very simple that would take 5 seconds to fix, yet they poo poo it out to the customers anyways?

hmm

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

UnknownTarget posted:

Lol I did the flight model for BTRL. Same username too.

Nice job. Were you nearby and were we not in lockdown, I'd get you a well deserved pint for that. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Blue On Blue posted:

The one thing CIG are always going on about is their attention to detail, yet the hands are positioned inside the push bar of the trolley cart

Isn't that something very simple that would take 5 seconds to fix, yet they poo poo it out to the customers anyways?

hmm

Doing that would be IK type procedural animation.

The drawback there is that it means animation is more programming than it is motion capture.

If you think for a second that CR is going to accept his motion capture time to be replaced by programming, you must be crazy.

No... what has to happen here is he will motion capture holding the trolley in 100 or so different methods and limb positions.