Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Gods_Butthole posted:

They're obviously implemented really poorly. When I first heard about them I assumed that the data was packaged with the token. I have no idea why they use a web server link instead, because you're absolutely correct that it undermines their ability to confer original ownership.

It currently costs approximately $100,000 to store 1MB of data on the Ethereum blockchain, having cost at least $300,000 per MB in the past week.
I dunno if the storage cost would be the same for every transaction of the token though.

chestnut santabag has issued a correction as of 14:20 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

chestnut santabag posted:

It currently costs approximately $100,000 to store 1MB of data on the Ethereum blockchain, having cost at least $300,000 per MB in the past week.
I dunno if the storage cost would be the same for every transaction of the token though.

wow what an efficient database

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the four kinds of nft supporters are naive marks, FOMO consumed marks, con artists, and ideologues

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

nft and cryptocurrencies are so loving boring and stupid and i wish everyone would quit talking about them forever god bless

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Gods_Butthole posted:

legitimate use of NFTs

lmfao

Griz
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/TheArtNewspaper/status/1387382370966380549

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Not sure why they stopped them since that's literally the whole point of this.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

to be fair the US is full of these make-work jobs; i've seen elevator operators in the US, also people who tell you when to cross crosswalks, greeters in stores, baggers in stores etc. just completely bizarre useless jobs just to make sure there's enough jobs for people to slave at. Is this a sign of an empire collapsing maybe? a desperate scramble to create enough jobs?

Worked as a sandwich maker in a mall.
We made croutons by chopping up the bread by hand with a knife, but a blender could have done the job faster.

A ton of other things could have also been automated.

I realized that: that job was an acting job. I was performing being a sandwich maker to give the buyer the feeling of freshness.

It could have been like the 1950's where it was a big wall with little doors, and you pay to get the food out.
I didn't have to be seen making the food.

I was performing freshness.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Apr 28, 2021

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The government should provide makework jobs in the form of a new WPA/CCC, so we don't waste labor on being walmart greeters and elevator attendants when we could do things that benefit the public like area beautification and building public parks

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

seems like a missed opportunity for automats to make a comeback in plague world

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

chestnut santabag posted:

It currently costs approximately $100,000 to store 1MB of data on the Ethereum blockchain.

How on earth can this be real? That’s absurd

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Justin Tyme posted:

The government should provide makework jobs in the form of a new WPA/CCC, so we don't waste labor on being walmart greeters and elevator attendants when we could do things that benefit the public like area beautification and building public parks

contractors weeping, tearing their shirts

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chard posted:

seems like a missed opportunity for automats to make a comeback in plague world

We still have them in the Netherlands mostly at snackbars

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

damnit now i want a warme snack

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

into the free candy, but uncertain about the nasi

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you're right to be wary cause that's basically just battered deep fried rice:

Definitely not the best Dutch snack

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

RandolphCarter posted:

How on earth can this be real? That’s absurd

"it cant be that dumb, you must be explaining it wrong"

each block on the chain has a set size
each transaction has a "fee" that goes to the network
the combination of the two means the fewer bytes in the transaction, the more likely it will be included because more "fees" can be collected
this also means a transaction with more bytes in it has to have a larger "fee" to make up for all the smaller ones it is crowding out

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

is the rice still moist inside?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ekuNNN posted:

So arancini? Nothing wrong with that.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

duz posted:

the combination of the two means the fewer bytes in the transaction, the more likely it will be included because more "fees" can be collected
this also means a transaction with more bytes in it has to have a larger "fee" to make up for all the smaller ones it is crowding out

I understand what gas fees are on etherium but how can they possibly be in the thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars? Aren't they trying to make a currency?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

Aren't they trying to make a currency?

hahaha no

They're trying to make a zillion dollars off rubes

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

HootTheOwl posted:

I understand what gas fees are on etherium but how can they possibly be in the thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars? Aren't they trying to make a currency?

These petty issues don't matter because they'll be solved before anyone uses it :downs:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

duz posted:

I loving hate crypto

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

I loving hate crypto

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

From meme thread

https://twitter.com/end_spire/status/1387428545077596164/photo/1

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/shrimpliker/status/1387232933845549062

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/1387541489509601283?s=20
https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1387542927736512516?s=20

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I want to back to the old days of reading the bitcoin thread when the worst thing crypto had done was dry some strawberries and give a libertarian brain damage. Now all the gpus are expensive, we're wasting electricity which could have powered many WoW characters, and every loving thread has to talk about crypto all the time

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So enraging. He would hate bitcoin so much for the climate impact.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Let's build a blockchain powered Kurt AI to find out for sure :sickos:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
BRB, selling an NFT of the Nevermind album cover art.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

Let's build a blockchain powered Kurt AI to find out for sure :sickos:

The only blockchain Something awful members would be able to make, is one powered by posts.
And no, not good posts. Just post by volume.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

The only blockchain Something awful members would be able to make, is one powered by posts.
And no, not good posts. Just post by volume.

Shitposts are stored on the threadchain

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
GBS, YOSPOS, CSPAM and FYAD. The four houses of something awful come together to demand the entire forums be converted to blockchain or the posting will be good, kind, honest and respectful and kill the forums entirely by not getting banned

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The Library of Congress is already the shitpost public ledger.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HootTheOwl posted:

The Library of Congress is already the shitpost public ledger.

The Library stopped archiving the forums years ago.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

it's expensive on purpose, because they basically wrote a currency-based programming language that runs user-supplied code on the network, except it's also decentralized so there's no admin who can step in to fix things if someone writes a program that fucks it all up

charging people a massive premium for doing anything more complex or resource-intensive than sending coins is basically the closest thing to an anti-abuse safeguard they have

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Platystemon posted:

The Library stopped archiving the forums years ago.

We should have paid more gas money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Main Paineframe posted:

it's expensive on purpose, because they basically wrote a currency-based programming language that runs user-supplied code on the network, except it's also decentralized so there's no admin who can step in to fix things if someone writes a program that fucks it all up

charging people a massive premium for doing anything more complex or resource-intensive than sending coins is basically the closest thing to an anti-abuse safeguard they have

lol