Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
IIRC Rich only kinda cared for that one off-screen fight with Miko. Everything else is easily "stylistically follows '3rd and one half edition' D&D but no promises".

e: The way I like to think about it, Rich's adherence to D&D rules is akin to any other Fantasy setting's adherence to Tolkien's mythology and world building when building their fantasy setting. Follows the gist as to what we recognize as Tolkien but won't when it comes to the details or if it gets in the way of the story that author wants to tell.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 27, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quote:

See how I tied those plot lines together? That’s what they call writing, folks.
:mmmhmm:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Very early strips were pretty rules-adherent, because they were focused heavily on making rule jokes. That waned considerably after they blew up the first gate.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
We also went from 3.5 being the in vogue edition to 2 entire editions of DnD passing by, so I'm sure the rules are far from imprinted on Rich's mind nowadays. I mean, it was 13 years ago when 4th came out, there are entire elementary schools younger than the last time 3.5 was the most relevant DnD touchstone!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
But he's also played enough DnD and written/designed enough that it still 'feels' correct even if he's fudging the details.

Its also not like rules jokes have gone away by any means. We just had a combat sequence that depended pretty heavily on a bunch of actual DnD poo poo from 3.5.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

he's up to 3,000 patreons with a $2 minimum, which is fairly :unsmith:

I think he takes more care about rules than he lets on, but keeping a fundamental level of 'it doesn't matter' is essential for his sanity.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 27, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just ran a game for the past 8ish months where i glossed over the rule book at one point and just winged it

the players didn't seem to mind but i think only one of them read the book past their playbook

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

sebmojo posted:

I think he takes more care about rules than he lets on, but keeping a fundamental level of 'it doesn't matter' is essential for his sanity.

For what it's worth, $2 isn't the minimum, it's the minimum suggested, and the only named tier. There are no posts on his Patreon gated by the $2 tier, they're all either "Public" or "All Patrons"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

sebmojo posted:

It really makes me happy to see a creator finally accept that people want to give them money.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

sebmojo posted:

Compared to how much some of his fans care, he cares a negative amount, and reinforcing that truth can only help him

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The Patreon is a lot better than the absolutely insane Kickstarter. Trying to keep up with all the obligations from that drat near killed Rich, from things said on the forum and twitter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It took Rich years to accept that he should make a Patreon and start selling PDFs of the books (especially the formally print-exclusive ones), and once he did, he was completely blown over by how much people really did want to support him through that.

I think he got so used to seeing only the worst elements of his readers that he didn't really believe that there was a silent majority. (Though to be fair, too long in the GiantITP forums would make anyone lose hope in humanity.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

maltesh posted:

For what it's worth, $2 isn't the minimum, it's the minimum suggested, and the only named tier. There are no posts on his Patreon gated by the $2 tier, they're all either "Public" or "All Patrons"

oh right. i think assuming ~3000 x $2 is a reasonable guess at what it's getting him, though i'd think it's probably a bit higher.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gnoman posted:

The Patreon is a lot better than the absolutely insane Kickstarter. Trying to keep up with all the obligations from that drat near killed Rich, from things said on the forum and twitter.

I'm glad about the insane kickstarter, even though I missed it. The reprint let me buy all the physical books.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

ikanreed posted:

I'm glad about the insane kickstarter, even though I missed it. The reprint let me buy all the physical books.

I liked him getting support, and what he was able to do with the money was good. He just should have set much more limit on his promises.

girl dick energy posted:

I think he got so used to seeing only the worst elements of his readers that he didn't really believe that there was a silent majority. (Though to be fair, too long in the GiantITP forums would make anyone lose hope in humanity.)

The funny thing is that he (and the forum staff) are absolutely convinced that his strict rules have made it a better community than most. The amount of passive-aggressiveness and such that's buried there (because you're not allowed to let it out) seems to be completely missed.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gnoman posted:

I liked him getting support, and what he was able to do with the money was good. He just should have set much more limit on his promises.

The funny thing is that he (and the forum staff) are absolutely convinced that his strict rules have made it a better community than most. The amount of passive-aggressiveness and such that's buried there (because you're not allowed to let it out) seems to be completely missed.

He was also one of the earlier Kickstarters to get a super high amount of money so there weren't a bunch of public "successes" to show why you should have reasonable stretch goals.

I'm also glad he just lets me give him $2/month or buy PDFs of the books because it's a lot easier.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gnoman posted:

funny thing is that he (and the forum staff) are absolutely convinced that his strict rules have made it a better community than most. The amount of passive-aggressiveness and such that's buried there (because you're not allowed to let it out) seems to be completely missed.
I mean, most of us think SA is a better community than most, and it took how long for them to finally kill FYAD?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

girl dick energy posted:

I mean, most of us think SA is a better community than most, and it took how long for them to finally kill FYAD?

*Looks at the forum home page*

Uuhhhhh

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

*Looks at the forum home page*

Uuhhhhh

To be fair it WAS killed, it just got resurrected after the admins admitted the entire conspiracy against it was fabricated by a narcissist.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Len posted:

I just ran a game for the past 8ish months where i glossed over the rule book at one point and just winged it

the players didn't seem to mind but i think only one of them read the book past their playbook

I was pressganged into running 5e for a few months (because our usual DM had to move back in with her parents for a time), and told the group repeatedly and straight that I was not going to read the books and just kind of guess at what the rules were. There was of course one of the players who made sure to pull rules citations when I made a ruling that was wrong and helped the party.

I had a good time and generated some fun stories with my friends so it all ended well.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Acerbatus posted:

To be fair it WAS killed, it just got resurrected after the admins admitted the entire conspiracy against it was fabricated by a narcissist.

You don't need to fabricate the fact that it's a cesspit of 'ironic' bigotry

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh sweet lord I hope rich is ok

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

♫ Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding ♫

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rumda posted:

You don't need to fabricate the fact that it's a cesspit of 'ironic' bigotry

Can we not relitigate The Troubles here? Go to QCS for that please

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Len posted:

Can we not relitigate The Troubles here? Go to QCS for that please

If people want to defend it they can

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rumda posted:

If people want to defend it they can do it in qcs

Correct

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

sebmojo posted:

Oh sweet lord I hope rich is ok

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Rerail, other than the character that showed up for one panel who else is bound to return?

Sabine seems like a sound choice

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Sabine and the IFCC seem very likely.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hinjo is definitely also gonna play a role somewhere. Belkar's only saved his life once!

I'm torn on Tarquin; on one hand, he had the perfect send off, but on the other, Sabine is "procuring a vessel" for the IFCC, and if that is as unpleasant as it sounds, I don't see why Tarquin wouldn't be the first guy she'd involve.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tarquin dieing offscreen to sabine would be perhaps the biggest blow to him, like hed stew about that in lawful evil hell forever

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't think he gets another mention. His role in the story is over.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah Tarquin is done.

I'm not sure about the rest of his crew -- we still haven't seen the Fighter do much of anything yet, and Team Evil is conspicuously lacking a front-line fighter (Oona seems a closer parallel to Haley or Belkar than to Roy)...

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I feel like Team Tarquin can't be entirely done while Sabine's revenge is still pending, but Tarquin himself as a major villain is done.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah Tarquin is done.

I'm not sure about the rest of his crew -- we still haven't seen the Fighter do much of anything yet, and Team Evil is conspicuously lacking a front-line fighter (Oona seems a closer parallel to Haley or Belkar than to Roy)...

What? Tarquin is the fighter, or at least some fighter adjacent class like "warlord" or something, we've seen that his main profiencies are in a variety of weapons and he's a frontline fighter. If you mean the dude in that flashback who doesn't have a name, I feel like it's more likely that he's an anti-paladin or blackguard or something.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Kind of doubt that they’re ever going to be much of a threat in the story again, considering half of them are deader than dead, were last seen getting their mind broken by the Snarl, or were in close proximity to the Snarl starting to seep into the world.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fool of sound posted:

I feel like Team Tarquin can't be entirely done while Sabine's revenge is still pending, but Tarquin himself as a major villain is done.

yeah, i cant imagine sabine just lets it go. i also cant imagine we see him on screen again

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Tarquin has an empire racket to run, also his team (what's left of it) and their armies wouldn't stand a chance against Xykon and Redcloak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's just going to be a loose end. It happens in the best of fiction.