Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Comic Strips 2021: there are BARS at the window

The dialogues in "Deathless Deer" is as stiff as the artwork. Combined with the lack of punctuation, gives it a weird staged vibe, like someone cut out pictures and glued captions to them. Kind of like Fletcher Hanks, if he was boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is it intentional that most of the minority characters in Luann wind up getting written out or is it just an unfortunate coincidence?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Larryb posted:

So is it intentional that most of the minority characters in Luann wind up getting written out or is it just an unfortunate coincidence?

Once would be coincidence, three times is conspiracy.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm willing to put it down to general incompetence based on the whole rest of Luann.

e: oh my God that Wallace :allears:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/27/01

For you youngsters, the Benji movies were a series of 70s flicks featuring the saccharine adventures of a cute little dog. (And apparently it got remade on Netflix a few years ago, because everything that was once even mildly popular must be remade.)

Brenda Starr 5/12/46

Smokey Stover 10/19/40

Another gag on fellow cartoonists in the third panel -- "Windsock Mosley" is Zack Mosley, creator of the heroic pilot Smilin' Jack, and "Gumpshoe Gus" is Gus Edson, who'd taken over The Gumps.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Another redo of the Undecided Voter? strip. Judging from the Frankenstein reference, this was probably for Bush vs. Kerry in 2004.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 28, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown?

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website
My Author Unknown? intro guide password is TheOther

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's really telling that Kell's idea of a good role model is a heartless CEO.

Vargo posted:

Once would be coincidence, three times is conspiracy.

Let's see... that would be Delta, Pru and Ann Eiffel, right? Or were there other minority characters that got written out?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

amigolupus posted:

Let's see... that would be Delta, Pru and Ann Eiffel, right? Or were there other minority characters that got written out?

Rosa.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Other posted:

Author Unknown?

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website
My Author Unknown? intro guide password is TheOther

overalls straps change over/under configuration between panels

immersion ruined

(I'm quite enjoying this actually)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think for Luann, isn't it mostly minority women who show up then get ejected? Because loving Insurance Fraud is still around.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They show up and make pretty eyes at the Gunt, then get turfed out when the audience don't hate them for the crime of cockblocking the OTP of Luann/Gunt.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

amigolupus posted:

It's really telling that Kell's idea of a good role model is a heartless CEO.

Dez isn't completely written out yet but she's a much smaller character than when she was introduced and also her skin tone has gotten noticeably lighter.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

The Good Innvandrer

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "34 - Jucika's Autumn Date"

"Jucika Rides a Motorcycle"

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (January 15, 1953)

That guy in the first panel. "My word, I do believe I have espied that lady's ankle."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Presto posted:

That guy in the first panel. "My word, I do believe I have espied that lady's ankle."

*gets beaten up by Everett True*

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (January 15, 1953)

Sadly, I'm pretty sure women still have deal with being ogled at because of what they wear.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Sadly, I'm pretty sure women still have deal with being ogled at because of what they wear.

Nah, that’s all over now. Female VP solved misogyny, just like the conviction in MN solved racism (speaking of, that Bootsie is both a great joke and a super bummer).

And now an apolitical Classic Zits!

Had the same moment as the center strip regarding my MIL, it was a bit jarring.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

I think that Bechdel wanted to write a comic about believably political people, but not necessarily a political comic, and if she were going to continue to develop Harriet we'd actually eventually have to see what went on at her committee meetings and stuff. Ditto the way that rather than zeroing in on Clarice's environmental law stuff we get, in the very near future, the expanded focus on her and Toni's domestic life. Sparrow is great for Bechdel because her eventual arc forces every other character to come to grips with unexpected and unfamiliar new kinds of situations but allows the story to stay within the sphere of friendship and found family and queer kinship stuff. I don't mean that as a criticism, I really like it, and I think the later stretches of the strip suffer when they dip back into everybody just sitting around talking about politics, because, well, there's only so many jokes you can get out of having to live in a cruelly heterocentric world whereas there are I think probably infinite jokes about loving and arguing and raising kids.

I'm really excited for Sydney to come along and to see how people react to her because I think she's a great foil to Mo, and such a tremendous pivot from Harriet. She's so eminently suited for a comic that is fundamentally about people sitting around and venting, because she offers such a pointed critique of that while still allowing that structure to unfold unimpeded. She's the kind of great antagonist that sort of digs spurs into the sides of a story to make it gallop faster.
I can't imagine an interesting general-interest strip about political organizing or environmental law - they would only be of interest to people in those fields. We do get some jokes about the setup and outcomes of Clarice's law work, but Bechdel wisely steers away from minutia. Plus this is an ensemble strip, so Bechdel's very limited in creating strips that of necessity involve only one character.

The political strips are only interesting when Bechdel has something witty to say, using her characters as mouthpieces, and that's hit and miss. For whatever reason I find her commentary during the Bush I era sticks better in my mind than later stuff. Some of that commentary became a permanent influence on my thinking (e.g. "you have to admire their technique"). The Clinton era I understand because events become more ambiguous and harder to lampoon in her bitter style; not sure why the W era commentary doesn't stick. That stuff generally goes better as the farcical headlines anyway.

I think we know how people will respond to Sydney because early on in your posting people spontaneously started complaining about her, long, long, before she was introduced (still years away in the strip). I totally agree that she was a big plus to the strip, precisely because she does and says things we don't like.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #139 (1992)

Ross Perot was an eccentric non-politician distinguished by nothing other than being weird and rich, who unsuccessfully campaigned as an Independent with a populist platform in the 1992 presidential election. Despite being wracked with controversy, he performed surprisingly well for a third-party candidate, but his campaign was hobbled when he dropped out in July only to suddenly re-enter in October.

I think one of the headlines here is referring to his statement in May that he would not place queer people or adulterers in top cabinet positions.

Mo is being kind of hard on herself here. She doesn't somebody else to come in and cook Thai food for her-- she can do it herself. It's fun and easy. Here Mo, have some vegan massaman.

Sparrow gives a pretty orthodox reading of the Three of Swords but takes some liberties with The Fool. Maybe she drew it inverted and just didn't say so. Maybe she's nudging her reading because she knows Mo and Mo's problems and is trying to help the best she can. Maybe it's just a comic. Tarot has been a popular thing in feminist and New Agey circles (and especially in the little venn diagram bump between the two) since at least the 60s. In 1978 Karen Vogel and Vicki Noble produced not the first deck to explicitly align tarot and feminism as mutually reciprocal endeavors but certainly the most ubiquitous with the Motherpeace deck, which has remained in print ever since and is pretty saturated with general second-wave vibes (lots of wombs and brooms and other kind of wtchy/goddess stuff), and became kind of a cultural shorthand for a certain strain of gauzy, mystic-y queer feminism in the 80s, a bit like reiki might have ten years ago.

So why did a somewhat shady divinatory practice of muddled vintage become so central to late 20th century feminism (and, to be real, it's not like it has ever left-- I am certainly far from being the only femme I know who dicks around with it on a daily basis as just a little ~wellness~ tic)? I'm not super up on this but I think it has to do with the emergence in the 1960s of readings of the Rider-Waite deck as reflective of Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey and parallel Jungian archetypes. It turned what had previously been an esoteric thing into a therapeutic and self-help thing-- a flexible and kind of eccentric lens people could use to examine themselves, which dovetailed neatly into 60s and 70s feminism's emphasis on consciousness-raising, self-knowledge, and porous subjectivity. By the end of the 60s tarot was just one of several earlier occult bits and bobs that had been subsumed into the bigger blob of The Counterculture, and it often floated around in the same sargasso as sex magic, Castenada stuff, reincarnation, Goddess Culture, etc.-- see Judy Chicago's 1969 The Dinner Party Eden Grey's influential books on the subject.

Throughout the 80s there were a bajillion post-Motherpeace "womyn"y decks, from the Amazon deck to the Shining Woman deck to the Medicine Woman and Spirit Lodge decks (as half-digested appropriation of Native American cultures began to be more commodified into the middle-class New Age machine-- see 1993's blistering "Declaration of War Against Against Exploiters of Lakota Spirituality," a joint statement against white misuse and mutilation of Lakota practices).

Anyway that all sounds pretty mean and it was certainly a lot more than I said about Ross Perot, the poor weird dickbag. But I think Sparrow generally has the right idea in this strip, killing time and trying to come at the hard problem of giving a friend honest advice through a novel angle. I do like tarot stuff, personally, having come across it over and over again in my dissertation research, and I like having a little dense image to chew over throughout the day. Anyway it doesn't look like "The Womyn's Tarot" Sparrow is consulting in the final panel was a real thing. Ok, that's all.

Batman (11/19/1989)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The character from Luann I miss most is Sergio Aragonés.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Wooo! Party!

Pooch Cafe

Getting the dog in the tub is not usually the end of the struggle.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #139 (1992)
I guess the "Womyn's Tarot" is a general reference to feminist-friendly tarot decks; Bechdel often has "brands" referring to general types rather than specific brands. The card backs look to be a representation of the standard Rider-Waite deck.

Perot -> Trump is a great example of how the right wing keeps getting worse, even when you'd think it's not possible.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just me and all the creepy mannequins my father set up in his costume room.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Why are we supposed to be rooting for Cherry in this? I mean aside from 'Everyone hates the HOA how dare they be unreasonable etc etc etc' ?

Cherry runs a landscaping/gardening firm in a small.. town? that's in a natural reserve, from what I remember from some of the first strips.
She does this without being aware of what is allowed to plant and not, and when she was called out on planting something that wasn't allowed, her first reaction is to roll in aggressively to complain.

She has yet to do anything in this side-story so far that puts her in the right. She should have checked this ahead of time, and if she wanted to plant a native palm that wasn't allowed, checked why/asked to do so ahead of time.

Moomin and the Comet

LITTLE MY HAS CHALLENGED :yeeclaw:CRAB:yeeclaw: AND EMERGED VICTORIOUS.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Hel posted:

I really want the bottom left panel as a poster.

Here it is in huge size, if you happen to be serious.

fondue posted:

The art and story are just so good. Also, doesn't he end up marrying her?

I don't know if it really qualifies as a spoiler since she still shows up all the time in the modern comic, but yes.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 17, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Dec. 17, 1944)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

SubNat posted:

Why are we supposed to be rooting for Cherry in this? I mean aside from 'Everyone hates the HOA how dare they be unreasonable etc etc etc' ?

Cherry runs a landscaping/gardening firm in a small.. town? that's in a natural reserve, from what I remember from some of the first strips.
She does this without being aware of what is allowed to plant and not, and when she was called out on planting something that wasn't allowed, her first reaction is to roll in aggressively to complain.

She has yet to do anything in this side-story so far that puts her in the right. She should have checked this ahead of time, and if she wanted to plant a native palm that wasn't allowed, checked why/asked to do so ahead of time.

The HOA is wrong by virtue of existing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Nah, that’s all over now. Female VP solved misogyny, just like the conviction in MN solved racism (speaking of, that Bootsie is both a great joke and a super bummer).

And now an apolitical Classic Zits!

A MILILF?

(sorry, sorry. That was terrible. Good God what's wrong with me)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bibliotechno Music posted:

If it makes you feel any better, your spouse probably thinks the same thing about your parent who matches your gender.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

wow Prince Valiant the Cave Man.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I know HOAs suck rear end, but I'm a little confused how this came about. Wouldn't Cherry have gotten a work order for what plants they wanted, or provided some kind of list or something?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
She's probably about to say they only allow plants native to England (the scones were, of course, a clue), because that's where real civilisation comes from.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SubNat posted:

the other lady is wearing a stupid hat, what the gently caress else do you want here man

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Walking in, locking eyes, grabbing the lady by the hair and leaving before anyone else moves seems very Conan. Or possibly even classic Greek. The kind of thing demigods did when they stole queens.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
HOAs are mostly schemes to let petty people abuse power and steal money but the client who knows about them should've told Cherry and I assume landscapers learn real quick that it's better to run things by the HOA and get info ahead of time. This business seems new so I guess it's Cherry's first encounter with a HOA.

Likely Cherry will talk circles around this woman I thought was a supervillain with a plant based theme from the first two panels and she'll obstruct Cherry out of spite.

Lest you think I'm unfairly biased not all HOAs are evil. There are some that never interact with you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

How Wonderful! posted:

Throughout the 80s there were a bajillion post-Motherpeace "womyn"y decks, from the Amazon deck to the Shining Woman deck to the Medicine Woman and Spirit Lodge decks (as half-digested appropriation of Native American cultures began to be more commodified into the middle-class New Age machine-- see 1993's blistering "Declaration of War Against Against Exploiters of Lakota Spirituality," a joint statement against white misuse and mutilation of Lakota practices).

Anyway that all sounds pretty mean and it was certainly a lot more than I said about Ross Perot, the poor weird dickbag. But I think Sparrow generally has the right idea in this strip, killing time and trying to come at the hard problem of giving a friend honest advice through a novel angle. I do like tarot stuff, personally, having come across it over and over again in my dissertation research, and I like having a little dense image to chew over throughout the day. Anyway it doesn't look like "The Womyn's Tarot" Sparrow is consulting in the final panel was a real thing. Ok, that's all.

"The Womyn's Tarot" didn't exist in name, but there were about 20 or 25 decks (not counting the smaller ones, the one-offs made by hand, or the blatent 'We'll slap woman faces on all the cards but leave the artwork otherwise unchanged' in the 80s and halfway into the 90s. Dianic Witchcraft (or Dianicism) was IMMENSE in some places, I can only speak to the East Coast of the US, and not in any kind of learned way, but I was there, and it was a big thing.

And thank you so much for posting DTWOF, I love your commentary. There's so much about that time in the not so distant past that got forgotten and swept under, it's always cool to look back and go "Oh! Yeah! That!"

And 99% of big-city lez culture was (and this is in my OWN experience, NYC, 1988-95, other people may vary,) just a merry go round of 'processing' and dating and everybody being no more than 3 degrees of separate from everybody else. It was a weird, powerful, wonky time and I think Bechdel captures that pretty well.

(Edit: I must learn to read properly, I somehow thought you had said there WEREN'T 'womyn' centric decks EXCEPT for the Native American themed ones. Mea culpa. Must be the lack of coffee.)

ThatGirlAtThatShow fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 28, 2021