Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Woah that looks interesting. A no frills opened up near my place, I'll have to look for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I've gotten them a few times and like them well enough. My wife would mix whatever "flavour" I got with OJ. :|

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm not a fan of the PC blue label sodas, they have a weird aftertaste to them despite being unsweetened. Safeway Compliments is a better soda as far as lemon, lemon/lime or lime soda goes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

something I don’t think many have come to grips with yet is that COVID is here to stay and booster shots will probably be needed in the coming years

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
yeah I don't think we can make this go away forever without like, putting a three foot thick lead coffin around America

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I'm not a fan of the PC blue label sodas, they have a weird aftertaste to them despite being unsweetened. Safeway Compliments is a better soda as far as lemon, lemon/lime or lime soda goes

I just cut to getting vodka seltzer's.

Whatever you do, get low cal not the 0 calorie stuff. It's the equivalent of flavored farts.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It's not blue label but there's a PC diet mango that's phenomenal

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
https://twitter.com/cityoftoronto/status/1387366889790361600?s=19

it surely isn't an extremely bad sign or anything that the city of Toronto effectively shrugged and gave up and handed off responsibility for this to some random twitter accout

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This country is an embarrassment

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Think of all the budget savings when you can just get a random internet weirdo to do your work for free

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Think of all the budget savings when you can just get a random internet weirdo to do your work for free

It works for forums. The only downside is the disproportionate number of child molesters as mods.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ghosthorse posted:

https://twitter.com/cityoftoronto/status/1387366889790361600?s=19

it surely isn't an extremely bad sign or anything that the city of Toronto effectively shrugged and gave up and handed off responsibility for this to some random twitter accout

Hey now!

They have a discord too

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

This country is an embarrassment

its not really a country just a resource extraction company

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

ZeeBoi posted:

something I don’t think many have come to grips with yet is that COVID is here to stay and booster shots will probably be needed in the coming years
I don't give a poo poo if I have to get a booster shot every six months if it means I can travel and leave my garbage province.

Theoretically, since all the vaccines are intended to produce antibodies against the spike protein, they should all boost each other. So an AstraZeneca booster should provide substantial reactivation of the immune system primed by a Pfizer shot. There isn't evidence of this yet but I have no doubt it's being generated.

Also I would get the J&J or the AZ shot tomorrow if I hadn't already been vaccinated earlier in the year. My significant other still doesn't qualify for a shot and she would gladly take one from an unmarked white van parked out back of a 7-11.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

linoleum floors posted:

Does anyone here know what brand of vaccines their kid has recieved?

my kids got a vaccine that they had to eat and they cried as soon as they tasted it so i can only assume it came from montanas

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
if brian pallisters pet doctor is to be believe i should get my shot in manitoba in the next 4 weeks

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If Brian Pallister's pet doctor can be believed there's an invisible forcefield that prevents covid from spreading in any situation that funnels more money to the wealthy.

I get my shot on Monday at least.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Theoretically, since all the vaccines are intended to produce antibodies against the spike protein, they should all boost each other. So an AstraZeneca booster should provide substantial reactivation of the immune system primed by a Pfizer shot. There isn't evidence of this yet but I have no doubt it's being generated.

Studies are underway and Norway is apparently doing it already. I'm not a science guy but I think it will work out too from everything I've read.

https://twitter.com/PKBurian/status/1385940025532157955

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
Ah yes, the Arnold Palmer

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
If the shots are mixed and matched or otherwise not given as prescribed then the vaccination drive itself becomes just another theatrical safety aspect of the pandemic, since it's not guaranteeing any* real safety and in fact likely doing the opposite

*oh sorry maybe like 50% with one as opposed to 95% with both given properly, which is basically wholly vs half effective, not some quibbling percentages

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Apr 28, 2021

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂŤÂ̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓gĂŤÂ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

infernal machines posted:

is anything approved for under 18?

DMing moderators

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

If the shots are mixed and matched or otherwise not given as prescribed then the vaccination drive itself becomes just another theatrical safety aspect of the pandemic, since it's not guaranteeing any* real safety and in fact likely doing the opposite

*oh sorry maybe like 50% with one as opposed to 95% with both given properly, which is basically wholly vs half effective, not some quibbling percentages

Actually none of your assumptions are known, that's why they're doing the studies?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

DMing moderators

i guess if anyone would know, it'd be them

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Another Bill posted:

Actually none of your assumptions are known, that's why they're doing the studies?

From the standpoint of risk management (as opposed to champing at the bit to get people spending again) anything unknown is a reason to be cautious as opposed to validating incautious behavior, until the actual risk is known. Not understanding the extant risks and taking that as "all is permitted" is what children do

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

From the standpoint of risk management (as opposed to champing at the bit to get people spending again) anything unknown is a reason to be cautious as opposed to validating incautious behavior, until the actual risk is known. Not understanding the extant risks and taking that as "all is permitted" is what children do

That's an awful lot of big words to say nothing

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Risk Management is when people make fun spreadsheets to justify doing something incredibly risky and acknowledging it's risky as all hell and blindly moving forward not the inverse lmao

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

it's not polyjuice potion, there's nothing special about doing it after 3 weeks vs 3 months. That was just the timing they went with in the very fast trial studies to get the vaccines on the market. A recent study out of the UK actually indicates its probably better to wait 3 months~ for the second AstraZenica dose rather than rush it

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
after i get my first shot i'm gonna edge my second shot until i can't fuckin stand it and then i'll get a huge explosive immune response

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

To get the second dose the government is forcing us to buy $100 Tim Horton giftcards

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

we had this exact discussion in this thread like two weeks ago. post some evidence or give it up

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Fried Watermelon posted:

To get the second dose the government is forcing us to buy $100 Tim Horton giftcards
Ne s’applique pas aux résidents du Québec.

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill
:spooky:

BonerKid has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Oct 29, 2022

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I prefer my breakfast sandwiches to remain uncracked, thank you.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

pokeyman posted:

we had this exact discussion in this thread like two weeks ago. post some evidence or give it up

That's why they're doing the study (but first we're doing it live and not recording the results in any serious way)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

That's why they're doing the study (but first we're doing it live and not recording the results in any serious way)

I didn't see anyone mixing vaccines live? I thought the doing it live part was delaying a second dose to more thoroughly spread the first dose

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Kazinsal posted:

yeah I don't think we can make this go away forever without like, putting a three foot thick lead coffin around America

Don't forget Alberta. I think we're world leaders right now in "How to gently caress up year 2 of this pandemic"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

quote:

Can I get a different type of vaccine for my second dose?

PAUL TAYLOR
SPECIAL TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL
PUBLISHED 3 HOURS AGO
UPDATED APRIL 28, 2021

The question: I followed the advice of public-health officials who urged us to take the first available COVID-19 vaccine. For me, it turned out to be the AstraZeneca shot. Will I be able to get another type of vaccine for my second dose?

The answer: You’re not the only person wondering whether the vaccines can be used interchangeably.

In fact, researchers in Britain have launched a study to determine if it’s safe and effective to mix different vaccines that guard against SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19.

“It’s a hugely important question that is being addressed by this study,” says Rob Kozak, a scientist and clinical microbiologist at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto.

“It could potentially help alleviate a lot of our supply problems,” he adds.

In Canada, the vaccination rollout has been plagued by availability issues. The flow of vaccines from some companies has dwindled to a trickle while others have provided more and more doses.

To even out the supply, Dr. Kozak says it would be convenient if two different vaccines could be used for the same person. Most of the COVID-19 vaccines require a double injection – a primer dose followed by a booster to amplify and extend the immune response.

The British study began in February with the recruitment of about 800 volunteers using the AstraZeneca and Pfizer shots. Some got two doses of the same vaccine – an immunizing strategy known as a homologous prime-boost. Others received one dose of each vaccine – or a heterologous prime-boost.

Blood samples from the volunteers are being analyzed for the presence of antibodies and others cellular indicators that show how well the body’s immune system is prepared to fight the virus.

Aside from potentially alleviating supply issues, the study might also reveal that using different shots may actually produce better overall protection than relying on a single type of vaccine, says Zhou Xing, a professor at the McMaster Immunology Research Centre in Hamilton.

He notes that all COVID-19 vaccines train the immune system to be on the lookout for spike proteins, the knobby protrusions on the surface of the coronavirus. But the various vaccines work in slightly different ways. That means they have different effects on the immune system.

For instance, Pfizer and Moderna, which are based on a relatively new vaccine technology using messenger RNA, are extremely effective at stimulating the production of antibodies – the first line of defence against a foreign invader. The antibodies will normally latch onto a virus to prevent it from entering and infecting a cell.

On the other hand, AstraZeneca appears to have an enhanced capacity for producing T-Cells, which provide a critical back-up defence if the virus eludes the antibodies. A “killer” T-cell can identify an infected cell and destroy it, he explains.

Dr. Xing thinks there may be a significant advantage in giving people two types of vaccine. Essentially, they might acquire the best protection offered by each one, filling in any immunological gaps. “I’m a big believer in mixing vaccines,” he says.

But an even more urgent reason to try mixing vaccines is the worrisome emergence of new viral variants, says Alan Bernstein, president of CIFAR, a Canadian-based global research organization.

Not only are certain variants deadlier and more contagious than the original SARS-CoV-2, but some of them may be able to evade, at least to some degree, the protection provided by vaccination.

By combining vaccines, “it might help broaden the response so the immune system can better deal with the variants,” says Dr. Bernstein, who is also a member of the federal COVID-19 Vaccine Task Force.

He says the initial results from the British study are expected to be released in the next few weeks. If they show that mixing shots is better than boosting with the same vaccine, “I would hope we would go with the heterologous prime-boost strategy as soon as possible.”

In Quebec, public-health officials are already considering giving the Pfizer shot to some seniors who were originally inoculated with the Moderna vaccine, which is now in short supply.

Dr. Bernstein says mixing shots might also help overcome vaccine hesitancy. He points out that a lot of people received a first dose of AstraZeneca before it was linked to extremely rare cases of blood clots. Some individuals may now be reluctant to get their second dose. If they are able to receive another type of vaccine, they may be more willing to roll up their sleeves for an injection, he says.

“Flexibility is important,” says Dr. Bernstein. “The sooner we give everyone in Canada two doses of these vaccines, the better we will all be protected.”

Seems like a timely article for this thread.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Don't forget Alberta. I think we're world leaders right now in "How to gently caress up year 2 of this pandemic"

I thought albertans didn't identify as canadian

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Kazinsal posted:

I thought albertans didn't identify as canadian

when someone online says they're Canadian assume they're only really talking about their specific preferred province/territory/city. when someone online says they're a "proud Canadian" assume they're racist

e: it's us, the land of lovely contrasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
There are so many loving idiots in kelowna it's depressing, just lovely mouth breathing anti maskers and anti vaxxers harassing workers. I had an anti masker/vaxxer recently, which I didn't know at the time till they started spouting off but they were telling me that weed cures cancer, and they were serious, this is a dude my age with 3 kids and a decent education, where do these people get this poo poo