Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

To counteract schnorklesposting:

https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1386122845294456836

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

SchnorkIes, you gotta change that to “against symptomatic disease in the old and infirm” before the mods get you again.

No I think I just made a typo. I'm looking at staff numbers, one sec lol.

7.1 vs 29.6 = a reduction of 22.5. 22.5/29.6 = 76% reduction of all disease
3.6 vs 27.8 = a reduction of 25.2. 25.2/27.8 = 91% reduction of symptomatic disease

So spreaders are reduced by 76%, uptake looks like it's headed towards stalling out in the 45-50% of all population range (could change once it opens for younger people though), 76% of 50% is 38% reduction in the number of viable spreaders, which doesn't really do a ton unfortunately.

These are great vaccines, but they aren't going to be able to do much on their own. The eradication campaigns that succeeded with less effective vaccines did so in an environment without pandemic disease prevalence or such high levels of vaccine hesitancy.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That was also a variant.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

astral posted:

That was also a variant.

I mean I think that's just where we are, I don't know of anywhere that wildtype is still prevalent?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Although the R.1 variant is not currently identified as a CDC variant of concern or interest,*** it does have several mutations of importance. The D614G mutation demonstrates evidence of increasing virus transmissibility (4). The E484K mutation, found within the receptor-binding domain of the spike protein, is also seen in the variants of concern B.1.351 and P.1, which show evidence of reduced neutralization by convalescent and postvaccination sera (5,6). Mutation W152L might reduce the effectiveness of neutralizing antibodies

Everything has D614G and has for an entire year.

E484K is notable.

W152L is has also been seen in the Xmas tree strain, I think. (e: it actually has the substitution W152C, which may or may not behave essentially identically)

So sure it’s a mutant, but it’s got stuff we’re going to be seeing more and more.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 28, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

I don't really understand the point of these figures. They do not reflect vaccine efficacy, because they do not take into account the baseline unvaccinated risk level of covid, or time. You'd need to somehow account for both risk over time and change in number of fully vaccinated over time. It's not like an unvaccinated person will always get covid 100% of the time vs 0.005% of the time, you know?

I think in the present variant landscape we're looking at 70-80% in efficacy against infection (which is amazing, honestly), and that's not even capable of achieving herd immunity with flawless adult uptake, which we're nowhere near. If we had better uptake and effective NPIs, it would absolutely slow covid down to where contact tracing and local lockdowns would be in easy mode, but we have abandoned NPIs entirely and are seemingly working on banning many of them in the US, while vaccination efforts are stalling out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah I also don’t see the value of breaking out that statistic.

Only zero point zero one six percent of the U.S. population tested positive yesterday, so things are going great.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
The 99.999 percent of you who survive will be able to tell your grandkids about the Great Pandemic, the defining event of your generation.

"Worst head cold I ever had"

The horror

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Can we please stop using the sanitized euphemism "vaccine hesitancy?" It's like calling climate-change denialists "climate-change skeptics" or calling Holocaust deniers "genocide questioners" or some poo poo.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Can we please stop using the sanitized euphemism "vaccine hesitancy?" It's like calling climate-change denialists "climate-change skeptics" or calling Holocaust deniers "genocide questioners" or some poo poo.

It includes the traditional antivaxxers, people who don't think they need it if they're low risk, and people who (maybe understandably) think it's a plot Whitey cooked up to kill them. It's kind of the umbrella term vs antivax which is the karens and the own the libs crowd only

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SchnorkIes posted:

It includes the traditional antivaxxers, people who don't think they need it if they're low risk, and people who (maybe understandably) think it's a plot Whitey cooked up to kill them. It's kind of the umbrella term vs antivax which is the karens and the own the libs crowd only

I humbly suggest "dipshits" as an alternative term.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I mean I have some sympathy for minority communities mistrusting government initiatives, since it's a month beginning with a letter and that means significant portions of the government are low-key trying to kill them.

How are they supposed to tell the difference between "government trying to kill us like usual" and "no actually it's different this time" ?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

hofnar posted:

The 99.999 percent of you who survive will be able to tell your grandkids about the Great Pandemic, the defining event of your generation.

"Worst head cold I ever had"

The horror

lmao

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Some good news on transmission reduction after only a single dose of vaccine.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/28/single-dose-of-covid-vaccine-can-nearly-halve-transmission-of-virus-study-finds

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

That is really good. Even better that it applies to both Pfizer and AZ.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

this actually brings up a neat debate: kids are supposed to be masked inside and let's pretend that everyone is following those regulations ( :lol: )

so which is worse? Kids with no masks close to one another but outside and moving around? Or kids staying still with masks on with tiny plastic dividers but also very close together?

I don't want either of them to be happening.

Or you could be in loving Florida, where the kids don't have to wear masks and about half the teachers don't either and we've been in-person since August the loving 10th.

We can still send kids up for dress code violations, though. Shorts too short? That's a problem! Uncontrolled spread of a deadly respiratory virus? Well now we're talking about our children's FREEDUMB you understand, and no one should be forced to wear anything they don't want to, unless of course it's a young woman we can humiliate about her clothing choices and low-key slut-shame with "How are the boys supposed to concentrate" bullshit. That... now that's serious. But dying? Listen, we all have the freedumb to decide whether or not we want to be a solipsist loving moron who doesn't believe in physics. Why else did George Washington fight off the Yankees at the Battle of Charleston Chew to keep them from stealing the Constitution?

Or, you know, whatever happened back then.

Got my #2 Pfizer shot yesterday, sat around an hour waiting for some side effects and when nothing happened I spent the rest of the day planting flowers. The only side effect I've shown so far is falling asleep at 6 PM yesterday and waking up at 3 AM unable to go back to sleep.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
The way Covid is just wildly spreading in India is scaring me to shits :(

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Re: school uniform vs mask situation, what do the people in charge of that actually say when asked to explain the difference?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

SchnorkIes posted:

So that's a 72% efficacy and 87% efficacy against symptomatic disease. Not great really!

Looks like it saved 15-20 lives, I think I'd call that pretty great

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Atopian posted:

Re: school uniform vs mask situation, what do the people in charge of that actually say when asked to explain the difference?

Officially it's, "We're listening to the concerns of the community."

Unofficially it's, "We don't want to have to spend tons of money fending off a shitload of lawsuits from the loving morons around here."

I know I've told this story before, but after the Stoneman Douglas shooting our students voted to have a memorial service. Note: memorial service.

We got dozens of emails, many from the same 4-5 people, all of which vaguely threatened to murder our students for being uh "anti-gun." All of them were pages and pages long with randomly capitalized words. poo poo like this:

"I will not stand idly by and see Our Freedom taken away and replaced with Tyranny. Wouldn't it be a shame if some Patriot drove by this so-called "memorial" when all the Students were Peacefully Assembling and killed them all with an Assault Weapon? They'll all be right there, in One Place. Vulnerable. Who would be Responsible for such a Tragedy?"

This is why we had to have a literal loving SWAT team patrolling our school so our kids could pay their respects to all the students murdered by these psychos' brother-in-madness.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Greggster posted:

The way Covid is just wildly spreading in India is scaring me to shits :(

The "official" infection and death rate is way too low and there's got to be a shitload of mutations that are occurring also, which is going to make it worse

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

hofnar posted:

every single post in this thread

What’s this guys deal? It’s like having an obnoxious teenage sibling in here who’s just trying to get reactions. Awful post history too. I may have just answered my own question, actually.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well it's been a while since we've had an "It's just the flu!" person in here. :allears:

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Things are accelerating for the better and the worse here in Switzerland. The good news is that vaccine availability is moving quickly, imo. Here in the conton of Bern, they have opened it up to group L (most people who are like under 65 with no pre-existing conditions etc are in group N). Here in Bern they sort of wait until they have enough for someone to get both jabs before they allow them to book their first appointment. And I wonder if they will wait to make sure they have enough for everyone in the group to get both before they open up N. I think Vaud has opened it up to everybody but I'm not going to look it up. At this point, Switzerland-wide just about 30% of the population has had their first jab. However the numbers are drifting upwards so it's just going to get worse before it gets better. LUCKILY the weather has been very nice so I think people are hanging out outside but who knows. They opened up gyms a while back and I have seen people on treadmills which under normal circumstances I just have to shake my head at.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

My wife got her first dose yesterday in Bern! She's group E and she watched the appointments disappear before her eyes as she signed up. It's going to be mayhem when they finally open group N. Do you have the AlertSwiss app, bollig? That's been the quickest way that we've found new groups were opening.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

A kid died from covid because his parents took him to hawaii and the parents were fully vaccinated. how could you be that kinda selfish?

JonathonSpectre posted:

completely sincerely rational anger

My dude, I am a state above you and masking in schools is a joke here outside of Augusta and Atlanta and Savannah. I don't know how you deal with it and I am so glad you've got shot 2.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

greazeball posted:

My wife got her first dose yesterday in Bern! She's group E and she watched the appointments disappear before her eyes as she signed up. It's going to be mayhem when they finally open group N. Do you have the AlertSwiss app, bollig? That's been the quickest way that we've found new groups were opening.

I have the AlertSwiss app, it's tight. I have a pavlovian response to the push notifications from it. Very happy to hear that about your wife! I have a friend in Thun who drives past a vaccination site on the way to work and says it has been surreal just watching people getting younger and younger who are waiting in line.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Just got my second shot and I feel like a massive weirdo but I'm moving my arm around and around to make sure I don't end with such a bad sore arm like last time

Will update with how I feel later

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

low key sex master posted:

Just got my second shot and I feel like a massive weirdo but I'm moving my arm around and around to make sure I don't end with such a bad sore arm like last time

Will update with how I feel later

Helped me a ton. It’s worth it.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Rolo posted:

Helped me a ton. It’s worth it.

Yes no way to know for sure but my arm hurt WAY less after second shot and all I did was slow swings, light lifting and stretching.

???

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I prefer the term "vaccine disinclination."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

just another posted:

I prefer the term "vaccine disinclination."

"Science averse"

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Vaxphobia

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Well it's been a while since we've had an "It's just the flu!" person in here. :allears:

Yeah they are the reason we will never get to herd immunity at least in America. Deserves to be mocked for killing our grandparents.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I found out today my uncle isn't getting vaccinated because cancer hasn't been cured yet

I'm not entirely sure what that logic is tbh

He's a nice guy but also absolutely unhealthy, morbidly obese, sweats like a hog in summertime and I think he's probably gonna die from it someday which sort of sucks

But my mom straight up said to him "dead is dead" so lol. Wish my grandfather was around to knock some sense into him

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

My cousin seems to think vaccinated people choosing not to hang out with unvaccinated people is "discrimination"

I can only steer the conversation away from this poo poo so many times, why are people like this

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

low key sex master posted:

I found out today my uncle isn't getting vaccinated because cancer hasn't been cured yet

I'm not entirely sure what that logic is tbh

He's a nice guy but also absolutely unhealthy, morbidly obese, sweats like a hog in summertime and I think he's probably gonna die from it someday which sort of sucks

But my mom straight up said to him "dead is dead" so lol. Wish my grandfather was around to knock some sense into him

I know a guy who also has cancer and he’s finishing his treatment and the doctor won’t give him the vaxx till he’s completely done with the treatment.

Its probably the doctor telling him that :shrug:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I know a guy who also has cancer and he’s finishing his treatment and the doctor won’t give him the vaxx till he’s completely done with the treatment.

that's not what that post says though

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Oh no no no sorry - my uncle doesn't have cancer. Because cancer the disease hasn't been cured (and I mean all cancer) he won't get the vaccine

I probably could have been more clear tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ben shapino posted:

My cousin seems to think vaccinated people choosing not to hang out with unvaccinated people is "discrimination"

I can only steer the conversation away from this poo poo so many times, why are people like this

if my pinball places enacted vaccine passports at 5 pm today i'd be there at 5:01