Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
My comprehensive ranked list of baseball parks I've been to or at least can remember having gone to.

1. County Stadium. I dunno if it was because I was a kid or what but I just loved this place. It was like the distilled essence of baseball stadium. Also the brats remain my single favorite ballpark food experience -- I'm curious what I'd think of them today.
2. Camden Yards. I got to go shortly after it opened and it was like stepping into a time machine after all those dumbass multi use astroturf abortions.
3. Kauffman. If you haven't been you should go. It is cheap and beautiful and baseball is technically played there. Minus points for the forgettable food options but you used to be able to bring in your own which was great but no more because COVID.
4. Petco. I'm admittedly very partial to SD in general but this is a beautiful park in a beautiful spot. The exterior is particularly great. Minus points for being obnoxiously expensive despite the Dads being bad at the time.
5. Coors. It is beautiful but there's too much going on for it to be really perfect. I think it also probably has the best ballpark food I've come across. Big bonus points for their customer service: we took my 98 year old grandpa to his last baseball game there, and they treated him like royalty, to include getting whatever food he wanted and putting him on the jumbotron.
6. Oracle. The park itself is actually kind of forgettable but I loved the crowd and the weather can't be beat. Also really good food.
7. Dodger Stadium. It is gorgeous and spacious but was a living nightmare to get in and out of and the lower bowl is surprisingly hot.
8. New Busch. The fans were irritating and it too is miserably hot but it is a beautiful facility.
9. Target. I also love Minneapolis and am grudgingly partial to the Twins and their fans; I thought this park was great but the atmosphere was kind of dead, which may be because it was a bad team playing at the time. I'd love to take in a playoff game there, I bet it'd be amazing.
10. Cleveland Stadium. I was there when a kid also, but I still think that main stand is the biggest tallest thing I've ever seen. We sat in the bleachers once and I couldn't see anything.
11. Comerica. The backdrop is way prettier than you'd think Detroit would be, but I didn't care as much for the layout and the food options were terrible.
12. Wrigley. I went before recent renovations but it was kind of a dump. I did really love Day Game at Wrigley atmosphere, it was like watching WGN but in real life.
13. Metrodome. It was not meant for baseball but the fans tried hard anyway.
14. Old Yankee Stadium. I dunno, it was very full of itself. I was super excited to go but felt let down.
15. Astrodome. Also not meant for baseball.
16. Arlington. At some point some scientist will discover that the hottest place in the known universe was the bleacher seats in Arlington stadium in mid July.
17. Old Busch. It was almost as hot as Arlington, as insufferable as Yankee stadium, in a dump of a downtown, every seat seemed like it was a mile away from anything, and someone keyed my car while I was at the game.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bewbies posted:

16. Arlington. At some point some scientist will discover that the hottest place in the known universe was the bleacher seats in Arlington stadium in mid July.
Someone never visited the Marlins' old stadium I see. Going to any games at Pro Player/Joe Robbie/etc in the summer was just asking to die of heatstroke

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

George Springer is going to lead the Blue Jays to the promised land (of a record above .500).

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I hope the man in white is bangin some trash cans tonight

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
RFK was terrible as a baseball stadium, I'm glad the new Nats Park is pretty awesome. I also like Great American in Cincy quite a bit. I remember basically nothing about Comerica because it was a front office road trip and we had an open bar.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bewbies posted:

My comprehensive ranked list of baseball parks I've been to or at least can remember having gone to.

gently caress that’s a good snipe

only other content is that Target Field is great and should be way higher

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Someone never visited the Marlins' old stadium I see. Going to any games at Pro Player/Joe Robbie/etc in the summer was just asking to die of heatstroke

I ain't saying I was at this game but christ on a cracker what a miserable experience this must have been for absolutely everyone involved.

edit: Time of Game: 1:49 lol

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 28, 2021

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It was either Old Busch, Riverfront or both where the field temperature could get up to 120 degrees. Those old carpet turfs everybody used to use were horrible.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MiLB but DBAP is a glorious park and they kept the "Hit Bull Win Steak (hit grass win salad)" sign from the old park Bull Durham was shot in.
https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1129157123034820613?s=19

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It was either Old Busch, Riverfront or both where the field temperature could get up to 120 degrees. Those old carpet turfs everybody used to use were horrible.

Yeah it was hot af in the bowl when I went to Old Busch and it had to be even worse on the field. It just reflected all the heat inward.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There was a Braves game at Riverfront where the turf got so hot that players’ cleats were starting to melt and almost everyone got subbed out so they wouldn’t get heat stroke, I think Glavine got called in on his day off pitching to play outfield

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I love going to minor league games

My childhood memory about games in Shea stadium was that I couldn't see the field unless I stood up, and if everyone was standing I couldn't see the field. Still loved it though

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Kauffman/Royals stadium was notorious for being comically hot before they swapped out the skin-removing carpet also. In STL and KC both they'd ALWAYS show a field level thermometer and it'd regularly be north of 140 degrees.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Please be kind to my former leadoff son, but don’t be surprised if he swings out of his shoes in his first AB and/or nearly kills himself on a tough fly.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bewbies posted:

Kauffman/Royals stadium was notorious for being comically hot before they swapped out the skin-removing carpet also. In STL and KC both they'd ALWAYS show a field level thermometer and it'd regularly be north of 140 degrees.

My experience in Kauffman was great, my dad and I wandered in while the team was on a road trip and asked a security guard if we could look around. He just shrugged so we wandered the stadium alone lol

I'd love to go back for an actual game, it was GORGEOUS

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

That "WGN but real" feel is legit. I was amazed how it sounded.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wrigley Field has changed a lot since the renovations and mostly for the better. It still has that great open feel/layout to it but the facilities are much improved, the concourse surrounding it is nice as well. The rest of the changes in surrounding Wrigleyville are far more contentious.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Popete posted:

Wrigley Field has changed a lot since the renovations and mostly for the better. It still has that great open feel/layout to it but the facilities are much improved, the concourse surrounding it is nice as well. The rest of the changes in surrounding Wrigleyville are far more contentious.

Yeah other than the giant video screen and better bathrooms I'd be hard-pressed tell you what changed.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

The stuff that we launched in...2019? is the best of it too. The upper deck concourses that run around the outside of the ballpark are really awesome and have helped congestion up there so much, plus you can still see the giant plaza TV while you're on the third base side of it. And the plaza itself is way better for game viewing than I expected since the massive TV has no delay on its feed.

Also this year we got even newer machines for the metal detection and they're smooth as poo poo so getting into the park is MUCH faster than the few seasons pre-pandemic with the garbage magnetometers (and not just cuz we're at 25% capacity).

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Slimy Hog posted:

Yeah other than the giant video screen and better bathrooms I'd be hard-pressed tell you what changed.

The bleachers are completely redone and much easier to, you know, get concessions or use the bathroom. The concourses in general are better, and although I still don't have a feel for how the new section numbers work, it beats the old "aisle" system where two seats next to each other would be in different sections (because your section was based on the aisle that was closest to your seat, not the block of seats itself)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

:yikes: they're opening Truist to 100% capacity Friday after next

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Hmm, I haven't been to nearly as many stadiums as I ought to have been. And I haven't seen many of the new stadiums either. Still.

1. Fenway (Any seats other that the RF or LF grandstands) - It's a cliche, but it's a great stadium. One of my favorite memories is my brother taking me to a game for my birthday. By the last inning a lot of the crowd had filtered out, so I was able to get close enough to heckle Fernando Rodney as he came into the game in the bottom of the ninth. I am still convinced to this day he heard me telling him he was going to blow it, and that's why he gave up a walk-off to Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Afterwards we were in time to walk across the street and watch Rajon Rondo cook the 76ers in game 7 of the eastern conference semis.
2. T-Mobile - I got to see one game here, but it was still such a pretty stadium. Also got to see peak Pedro, and remember the Mariners fans next to us saying "welp, we're not winning this" when the Sox scored 4 in the top of the first. They were right.
3. Citifield - It is indeed amusing that Fred Wilpon built a massive shrine to Ebbet's Field despite, y'know, owning an entirely different team. And there's nothing that special about Citifield in comparison to the other new style ballparks. But it's still a very good place to watch a game. Don't bother with the Shake Shack, it's not worth the multi-inning wait.
4. Shea - Ranked this high purely on nostalgia. I might now have attended more games at Fenway now, but I didn't start going to Fenway until I was in my teens. Apparently I was in one of those groups of little kids who got to run the bases before/after a game. I cannot understand how my memory failed to make sure it remembered that moment no matter what.
5. Target Field - Only got to go twice, once for the third game ever played there, the other for a wedding held at the stadium.
6. The Metrodome - I have a lot of fond memories of the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome from when I lived in Minneapolis. Especially moving from the northeast where both ticket and beer prices were much higher. It was a surprisingly decent place to see a game.
7. Guaranteed Rate - A perfectly decent park where I got to watch the White Sox get shitkicked by the Yankees in surprisingly cold weather for May 16.
8. Stade Olympique Not a very good stadium, but you could get walkup tickets to the good seats, and cheap, any time you wanted when my folks took us there on vacation in 1999. Which was great, since the Padres had just come to town and Tony Gwynn was sitting on 2999 career hits. He didn't make us wait for number 3000. I had forgotten that game was such a barnburner, though.
9. Old Yankees Stadium - It wasn't any great shakes, and it had that loving stupid "26 time world champions" sign with the "26" as a separate panel so they could update it without needing a new sign, but at least it had history.
10. Candlestick - Was there as a kid in the middle of the summer and almost froze to death.
11. New Yankees Stadium - A mausoleum, without any history.
12. Fenway (RF Grandstand seats) - Hope you have a good massage therapist to fix your neck after turning it 90 degrees for the entire game just to see the infield. That's assuming you don't have a big honking beam obstructing your view.

Also, I feel certain I saw a game at Camden Yards, but I think it's a false memory because I can't remember when that would have been. I've been inside the restaurant at Miller Park while visiting a friend during the offseason, but never seen a game there. I'll get to see GAB in Cincinnati this July, and I've heard a lot of extremely good things.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 28, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you want the true Miller Park experience just get drunk in the parking lot until you black out in your lawn chair somewhere around the 3rd inning and wake up after the game is over.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Booyah- posted:

I love going to minor league games

This seat cost me $18 to watch A ball San Jose Giants. Minor leagues rock.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Slimy Hog posted:

If I can't get the feeling of the warmth from the piss of the drunk guy across from me at the trough on my leg, no thanks.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
We officially need to remove all human decisions.

https://twitter.com/mlberrors/status/1387470595990949888?s=20

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

What on Earth? Did they say the pitcher was blocking the runner? That's maybe the worst call I've ever seen.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

He's not even in the loving basepath

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I have no idea what the ump is doing here? Pitcher in the basepath?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
All umps are cops

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The pitcher was in the grass the ENTIRE time. What an insane call, the ump should literally be fired on the spot for incompetence.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Counsell should have punched the ump

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Anyone who doesn't think the job of umpires or referees in any of the major leagues is in part to influence the outcome of the game is ignoring their own eyes.

An NHL ref got caught on a hot mic saying that he made a call to do exactly that and the NFL has relied on subjective calls for years.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 28, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Since that's an error they can reverse the call at any point right?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Anyone who doesn't think the job of umpires or referees in any of the major leagues is in part to influence the outcome of the game is ignoring their own eyes.

An NHL ref got caught on a hot mic saying that he made a call to do exactly that and the NFL has relied on subjective calls for years.

You're honestly over complicating things. Its mostly just really lovely stupid decision making.

I've worked with enough current and former football officials to know sometimes they just miss poo poo but it mostly boils down to incompetence...not secret influence to tilt the games.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That call was so bad, how does no other ump go over there to discuss that and correct it?

As far as ballparks, I have seen 26 teams in their home stadium, but like 10 of those were when I was a kid, so some of those stadiums have since been torn down, and I don't really remember the experience anyway.

A lot of the new stadiums from the last 20 years all have a similar feel to me. They have good concessions, generally good flow, maybe one interesting thing, and that's about it. If I had to throw out my top 5 places to see a game though, I guess this would be it.

1. Wrigley for purely homerific reasons. The upgrades from the last 6-7 years have improved some stuff like the upper deck bathrooms and concessions. Beforehand, the upper deck was a great place to see the game, but a terrible one for all the other parts of being in the stadium.
2. AT&T or Oracle Park now - Had a seat in the upperdeck over looking the bay. Best view I've had at a game.
3. Coors - Another upper deck game and seeing the mountains. Game I went to was cold and rainy in August and got delayed like two hours. So maybe this would be higher.
4. Miller Park - The tailgaiting is half the fun, and the park has a good atmosphere.
5. Progressive Park - This one is probably high up because I went there a lot when I lived in Cleveland. Tickets were cheap, and pretty much every seat was good. It's weird because they have a lot of upper deck seats blocked off. Easy to get around and it's right near downtown. I always appreciate parks that are in the heart of the city. I really hate parks that require driving, or are surrounded by giant parking lots.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

4. Miller Park - The tailgaiting is half the fun, and the park has a good atmosphere.
5. Progressive Park - This one is probably high up because I went there a lot when I lived in Cleveland. Tickets were cheap, and pretty much every seat was good. It's weird because they have a lot of upper deck seats blocked off. Easy to get around and it's right near downtown. I always appreciate parks that are in the heart of the city. I really hate parks that require driving, or are surrounded by giant parking lots.

:thunk:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It's my one exception because they put those lots to good use.

E: It also fits the theme of drinking in driving that comes with being in Wisconsin.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I've been thinking for a while that I want to do a cool post-covid (well, hopefully) baseball roadtrip sometime next year so please keep the recommendations coming

also any minor-league parks that particularly stand out, I really love the idea of just deciding to go to a game and rocking up and paying like <$20 for field-level seats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Miller "American Family" Park has great food and the tailgating rules but IMO it is a miserable experience inside when the roof is closed. And then it's a field designed by dumbasses when the roof is open with regard to how light hits the field, but that's a problem for players and not me. Definitely much more fun there when the roof is open in spite of it.