Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah Tanzer sucks

The nice part is that you can blow through it in like five minutes once you know the way through, but until then it's just a gross version of a teleporter maze that sucks.

Emilia’s story called. It’s the Trinity Base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Still on my first playthrough and I'm remembering how brutal it can be to get new party members.

I'm also trying to start the arcane quest and the swamp is all Kraken so I don't think I'll be getting that card

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

WebDO posted:

Still on my first playthrough and I'm remembering how brutal it can be to get new party members.

I'm also trying to start the arcane quest and the swamp is all Kraken so I don't think I'll be getting that card

Get some petrify on your monster! Krakens are vulnerable to getting stoned. (Also if you put anti-water gear on your team, the Krakens are completely harmless.)

Edit:

My own status: Still hacking away at Asellus' scenario. We're all waiting for the very last weirdo pursuing us to actually do something. Also hello Ildon, you took your time, didn't you?

The rune quest started and I immediately managed to walz into the wrong dungeon. Though now I have a skeleton knight on my side. Good god this game. :allears:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 28, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WebDO posted:

If you have the money to get some Pearl Hearts, you can become immune to water damage, which can help at least a little bit with Krakens.

That's definitely a card to get early if at all possible, though.

Libluini posted:

The rune quest started and I immediately managed to walz into the wrong dungeon. Though now I have a skeleton knight on my side. Good god this game. :allears:

Yeah he's pretty rad. If you ask him to give you something, he also gives you an extremely good sword, so that's worth doing on a different playthrough. Also he has an actual story role in one of Fuse's scenarios that is extremely :allears:. It's a lot of fun to see Fuse sitting around a conference table with a weird back alley doctor and a giant skeleton king just chatting like it's totally normal.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

WebDO posted:

If you've already recruited Asellus and her entourage, White Rose and Zozma are immune to the Charm, Confusion, Berserk and Sleep effects from the Drunk debuff. Silence is as well if you recruited him. Give them Pearl Hearts to make them immune to water attacks and have them absorb some monsters with instant death or petrifying attacks into their Mystic gear and they can carry you through.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Time Lord boss fight?

Does BR affect bosses?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Time Lord boss fight?

Does BR affect bosses?

Battle rank affects boss HP, but I think that's all it changes. The types of attacks and amount of damage bosses do is static, but their HP goes up with your BR.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Harrow posted:

If you have the money to get some Pearl Hearts, you can become immune to water damage, which can help at least a little bit with Krakens.

Yeah he's pretty rad. If you ask him to give you something, he also gives you an extremely good sword, so that's worth doing on a different playthrough. Also he has an actual story role in one of Fuse's scenarios that is extremely :allears:. It's a lot of fun to see Fuse sitting around a conference table with a weird back alley doctor and a giant skeleton king just chatting like it's totally normal.

He joins automatically in Riki's scenario! He even gets a cool Tomomi Kobayashi art screen afterward.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My turn to ask a question:

To do the Time and Space quests, you need to have done at least one of Light or Shadow and at least one of Rune or Arcane. My question is, does the Light/Shadow one count if it's your party members doing the quest offscreen, or does your protagonist have to have done one of them? In my Asellus playthrough, I'd love to get Shadow Servant for both Asellus and Time Lord, but if I have to have Asellus get one of the gifts before I can even recruit Time Lord, that's clearly not going to be possible.

MonsieurChoc posted:

He joins automatically in Riki's scenario! He even gets a cool Tomomi Kobayashi art screen afterward.

Yeah, that too. The Fuse scenario I'm talking about is the Riki one, even. He's part of the core team there--it's Fuse, Nusakan, and Sei just running around solving everything before Riki and Mei-ling even arrive :v:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 28, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Libluini posted:

Get some petrify on your monster! Krakens are vulnerable to getting stoned. (Also if you put anti-water gear on your team, the Krakens are completely harmless.)

Giants are vulnerable to petrify too. I farmed the one in Lute's scenario a couple of times because I couldn't remember what all it dropped. Got 2 Genbu shields and an Obsidian sword (64 atk sword) from 3 kills in maybe 5 minutes.

A bunch of top/special rank enemies are weak to 1 or more status effects which is always nice. The best is using Giant Swing on enemies vulnerable to instant death because you just toss them right out of the battle and in to low orbit.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Harrow posted:

My turn to ask a question:

To do the Time and Space quests, you need to have done at least one of Light or Shadow and at least one of Rune or Arcane. My question is, does the Light/Shadow one count if it's your party members doing the quest offscreen, or does your protagonist have to have done one of them? In my Asellus playthrough, I'd love to get Shadow Servant for both Asellus and Time Lord, but if I have to have Asellus get one of the gifts before I can even recruit Time Lord, that's clearly not going to be possible.

This should count, though I admittedly haven't tried it. You should be able to buy one of the shadow magics for Asellus and then send the rest of the party in to meet the requirement. Afterall, in T260G's quest, you can recruit Kylin, and she can't get the gift for any magic- it just looks that you have party members who you sent there (I sent Gen in for light to get solar blade and then did the rune magic quest).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

with the gift stuff and spreading them around, does "all party members that were present for the entire quest" mean specifically the group that the main character is in, or are all currently recruited people taken into account?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

with the gift stuff and spreading them around, does "all party members that were present for the entire quest" mean specifically the group that the main character is in, or are all currently recruited people taken into account?

All recruited characters count.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

Harrow posted:

One thing I like about Fuse that I didn't expect to is that he has Jackie Chan Hong Kong detective movie energy in spades, complete with the slapstick/embarrassing moments hitting the same beat.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I think I screwed myself out of the Arcana dungeons as Riki by starting the Rune quest first to get into Mu's Tomb. Now I'm locked out of Wakatu and the Shield quest treasure, which means no Octopus Board and Braveheart for T260 :(

This was also the first scenario where I could've gotten the Comet Blade

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

drat you weren't kidding about Vergil's dungeon being a dick move.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Riki's scenario is a wild ride. Most of it is a nice, fun time. You get to run around and hang out with Dr. Nusakan and Sei, there are some cool story events, you get these fun rings to play with, it's pretty okay! And then you hit Virgil's dungeon and the scenario jumps into the air and does several beautiful, dramatic twists and flips before gracefully landing face-first in a pit of spikes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ace Transmuter posted:

I think I screwed myself out of the Arcana dungeons as Riki by starting the Rune quest first to get into Mu's Tomb. Now I'm locked out of Wakatu and the Shield quest treasure, which means no Octopus Board and Braveheart for T260 :(

This was also the first scenario where I could've gotten the Comet Blade

Finish the Rune quest line and you can rune Arcane afterwards. You can only do one at a time but you can do both questlines in a single character story.

Just starting the Rune Quest doesn't lock you in to it though. You have to trigger something (like getting a Rune). It's 100% possible to start Rune + Arcane quests then grab Gen, Roufas, and other characters that don't require collecting a card/rune in the process (so no Fei-on or Fuse unless you want locked into that quest first).

Harrow posted:

Riki's scenario is a wild ride. Most of it is a nice, fun time. You get to run around and hang out with Dr. Nusakan and Sei, there are some cool story events, you get these fun rings to play with, it's pretty okay! And then you hit Virgil's dungeon and the scenario jumps into the air and does several beautiful, dramatic twists and flips before gracefully landing face-first in a pit of spikes.

I'd forgotten about the spike room until my recent Riki run and I'd forgotten how annoying it was without save state or rewind via an emulator. I swear I spent an hour in that room because of how finicky the spikes are for the route.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd forgotten about the spike room until my recent Riki run and I'd forgotten how annoying it was without save state or rewind via an emulator. I swear I spent an hour in that room because of how finicky the spikes are for the route.

It's so bad!! And then I want right from that room straight into the magma slimes fight, and let me tell you, if you don't already know what the deal is with the magma slimes (apparently I had never finished Riki's scenario before last week!), it is just one horrifying reveal after another as that fight unfolds.

The overwhelming feeling I had in Virgil's palace was confusion and also anger that someone had done this to me, as though it had been targeted towards me and was motivated entirely by spite. Not even remotely rational but drat if that wasn't a strong and unique game feeling.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
My "favorite" part is the game show room because every time, without fail, I misread the directions, get really confused about why the game keeps saying I'm wrong (I'm not! I'm not!!!), then resigning myself to just fighting my way through it.

Magma slimes have always been a Roof of Riovannes Castle thing for me: I either have what I need to win it effortlessly, or I don't and it's the hardest thing in the game this time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It really didn't help that I hit all the worst rooms right in a row. I went straight from the spike room into the magma slimes and then straight from that into the game show (where I, of course, hosed up and got questions wrong enough times to absolutely hate everything).

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Evil Fluffy posted:

Finish the Rune quest line and you can rune Arcane afterwards. You can only do one at a time but you can do both questlines in a single character

Riki can't finish the Rune Quest; his story takes him to Tanzer and he can't go back to get the Vitality Rune. His plot also takes him to Despair, which is the only time he can pick up the Freedom Rune.

Luckily I found the failsafe; if you talk to the podium dude closest to the Rune tent in Devin he'll cancel the quest for you if you're locked out of getting the Freedom Rune. So now I'm able to get to Wakatu. Yay!

I've heard this doesn't work if you do get the Freedom Rune, though.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

That is absolutely the true Riki scenario experience. I only beat that scenario much later after how to get Mariche was common knowledge, and it was still a thoroughly unpleasant experience. I'm very tempted just to load up my NG+ crew and just chew through everything with Spray of Life Gen and fully kitted T260G.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My gen still doesn't have Spray of Life on NG+++ lol.

He still hits like a space truck though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Harrow posted:

All recruited characters count.

cool. and i don't know enough about the game to custom tailor who gets what but it sounds like if i buy at least one spell for people from the opposing school of the gift quest i can freeze them out from getting flagged for starting a gift quest for the opposite school?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

cool. and i don't know enough about the game to custom tailor who gets what but it sounds like if i buy at least one spell for people from the opposing school of the gift quest i can freeze them out from getting flagged for starting a gift quest for the opposite school?

Yep, that's how it works.

So, for example, if someone has a Shadow spell and you go to do the Light magic gift quest, anyone with Shadow magic just sits it out, and you can go get the Shadow gift for them later. Same for Rune and Arcane: if you're on the Rune quest, anyone who has an Arcane spell won't get the gift even if they're there for the whole quest, and vice-versa.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

My Fuse has everything he needs for the DSC except *Slide,* which he absolutely refuses to learn across two playthroughs. Is this the true SaGa experience?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

He didn't learn Slide for me until I had him spamming Kick on Chimeras in the Bio Lab :v: Took his sweet time

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
If a character doesn’t have the talent for a particular move they have less than a 1% chance to spark it. Nobody in the game has the talent for every move in the DSC. So, yes!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Technically Emilia does by using the costume mechanic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

My gen still doesn't have Spray of Life on NG+++ lol.

He still hits like a space truck though.

Did you just never give him a katana and learn shadow reversal? Gen normally learns sword techs super fast and if you're fighting high BR enemies like dullahans and krakens he should spark life sprinkler via shadow reversal super fast.

VgameT posted:

If a character doesn’t have the talent for a particular move they have less than a 1% chance to spark it. Nobody in the game has the talent for every move in the DSC. So, yes!

A character's intelligence affects their chance to spark moves too and I think that applies to non-talented skills like lifesprinkler for Asellus or the various DSC moves.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Did you just never give him a katana and learn shadow reversal? Gen normally learns sword techs super fast and if you're fighting high BR enemies like dullahans and krakens he should spark life sprinkler via shadow reversal super fast.

All I do is spam Shadow Reversal.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

All I do is spam Shadow Reversal.

Unless you don't have an open spot in your skill list I have no idea. Using that on high BR enemies should spark it really fast.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've gotten Spray of Life on at least one character in every playthrough so far and it has, without fail, been from using either Shadow Reversal or (for Captain Hamilton) Turbid Current on a BR9 enemy in the Bio Research Lab. Either the mystic guys in that round side room (forgot the name, the enemy type starts with a Z) or from a Chimera.

I've never glimmered it on anything lower than that, and it usually happens relatively quickly when my BR reaches that level.

That said I'm going to try to glimmer it with Blue in my next playthrough so wish me luck.

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"

Evil Fluffy posted:

A character's intelligence affects their chance to spark moves too and I think that applies to non-talented skills like lifesprinkler for Asellus or the various DSC moves.

Was this changed in Remaster? As far as I know, the only things that affect your chance to spark a move are the monster you’re fighting, whether or not you have talent for it, and whether or not you have physical mastery.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

VgameT posted:

Was this changed in Remaster? As far as I know, the only things that affect your chance to spark a move are the monster you’re fighting, whether or not you have talent for it, and whether or not you have physical mastery.

Yeah I've never heard of Intelligence impacting sparking chances before. Maybe for Gun/Magic? I've still never heard of it before

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Ace Transmuter posted:

Yeah I've never heard of Intelligence impacting sparking chances before. Maybe for Gun/Magic? I've still never heard of it before

The sparking guide in essence of saga says int helps with gun, magic, and mec program learning, but not sword/martial. I would assume it's the same for the remaster.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

There's a great mechanics guide on GameFAQs and it confirms all of this. INT helps with guns and magic, but not physical. There's no equivalent stat that helps spark physical moves.

Though it's worth nothing that having the proper mastery does double your chance of sparking.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's just a bad rng, it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Be sure to learn Slide from Kick first before any of the throws. It's a terrible move on its own, so if you get too strong before you learn it the game will tend to teach you "better" moves instead.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 29, 2021