Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

except SF Alpha 2 officially "overwrites" Alpha 1 storywise, the same way SFIII Double Impact or whatever overwrites SFIII and lol Capcom

also MK21 actually kind of ruled leaning into its' dumb "yeah we throw fireballs we ain't gotta explain poo poo" stuff, and everyone complaining there was no tournament sounds like Milhouse screaming about that fireworks factory

I get what you're going for but maybe you should rewatch that episode of the Simpsons

e: hell of a snipe, posting champ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm super mad they replaced Ashly Burch for Cassie in MK11. That's just a voice you can't really recast because she adds so much personality to every character she plays.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The last three Mortal Kombat games made the choice to go all in and double down on story, lore, and, for some reason, time travel, and to be honest it’s been pretty great.

To be honest the cutscenes for the game MK11 seem to be a better and more internally consistent movie than Mortal Kombat 2021.

JordanKai posted:

I think this is follows naturally from having a large cast of characters that all need to be highly individual and interesting. Either you completely ignore the need for backstory or you begin to develop a sprawling narrative to give all of them a lively history.

When i grabbed 9 I was kind of blown away by the story mode to have, a story. I love that they decided yea lets just go back and reset the timeline.

Desperado Bones posted:

I was a teen who loved King of Fighters so I was amused when I found out there is this big lore that sort of connected with other fighting games. :allears:

That I did not know. KOF are games I've only seen in Arcades, never played.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Mk 9 has a much stronger story because it assumes that the player has at least a passing familiarity with the characters with just a little over the same runtime as mk2021 and it's much better for it. It even managed to get through the first 3 games where 21 doesn't even make it to the first tournament

I know we're talking about wb who make the worst possible decisions at every juncture and meddle in every movie they make, but if they just made the same basic assumption that anyone who is watching a movie based off a 25yo arcade game also is at least somewhat aware of the basics this would have gone over better. Instead we got joss whedons mortal kombat. They would have been better off just putting each of the game cinematics on hbo max

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

twistedmentat posted:

That I did not know. KOF are games I've only seen in Arcades, never played.

I had a grasp of it via internet, as it was very difficult to follow it when you had a bunch of other kids waiting for their turn to play :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

Mk 9 has a much stronger story because it assumes that the player has at least a passing familiarity with the characters with just a little over the same runtime as mk2021 and it's much better for it. It even managed to get through the first 3 games where 21 doesn't even make it to the first tournament

I know we're talking about wb who make the worst possible decisions at every juncture and meddle in every movie they make, but if they just made the same basic assumption that anyone who is watching a movie based off a 25yo arcade game also is at least somewhat aware of the basics this would have gone over better. Instead we got joss whedons mortal kombat. They would have been better off just putting each of the game cinematics on hbo max

I do feel the need to point out that the flaw in the argument is that this runtime doesn't actually include the actual fights. Yeah the actual 'movie' of MK9 is about 2 hours fifteen minutes but that's with the bulk of actual fights being resolved offscreen. Even if you go for a fairly short fight for every encounter there is no way you're fitting that under three hours. Even just the first tournament part would be difficult. You'd be better off doing what 95 did and just focusing on a few specific popular fight matchups instead of trying to throw everyone in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

KoF easily has the worst lore of all the big fighting game franchises.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm super mad they replaced Ashly Burch for Cassie in MK11. That's just a voice you can't really recast because she adds so much personality to every character she plays.

She probably just wasn't available at the time they needed to record.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ImpAtom posted:

I do feel the need to point out that the flaw in the argument is that this runtime doesn't actually include the actual fights. Yeah the actual 'movie' of MK9 is about 2 hours fifteen minutes but that's with the bulk of actual fights being resolved offscreen. Even if you go for a fairly short fight for every encounter there is no way you're fitting that under three hours. Even just the first tournament part would be difficult. You'd be better off doing what 95 did and just focusing on a few specific popular fight matchups instead of trying to throw everyone in.

Oh yeah no doubt, I'm just saying that if they just ran with the premise instead of setting it all up again and mandating a blank slate audience stand in and stuff it's definitely possible to get through a lot. Like, even adding fight sequences you could probably get through mk 1 and 2 in 2 hours and then have shao khan invade earth in the sequel

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I agree, adapting the broad strokes of the game plot into a movie would have elevated this above mk95 and really drummed up enthusiasm for the franchise

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

Oh yeah no doubt, I'm just saying that if they just ran with the premise instead of setting it all up again and mandating a blank slate audience stand in and stuff it's definitely possible to get through a lot. Like, even adding fight sequences you could probably get through mk 1 and 2 in 2 hours and then have shao khan invade earth in the sequel

MK1 even happens in the first few chapters of MK9. It's mostly about 2.

They could have easily had one of the canon characters already in the movie as the audience blank slate. In the first game Sonya ends up in the tournament mostly by accident. You could have had Jax being the guy with all the research on his own, then the friendship between them is a nice built in way to have Sonya quickly come on board with everything. Or the other way around. Or if they specifically wanted the main character to be Chinese, there's Liu Kang. He ends up winning the tournament anyway so you even still get your protagonist on top.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Isn't MK9 the time travel one? I wouldn't have even bothered watching the film if that's what the premise had been centred on.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

JordanKai posted:

Isn't MK9 the time travel one? I wouldn't have even bothered watching the film if that's what the premise had been centred on.

I guess sort of? It starts in an apocalyptic future and a character sends a message to himself in the past to try and avert it. Many comedic misunderstandings and a somewhat different but potentially better future ensue. MK11 went full time travel as an active thing in the plot with characters actually meeting other versions of themselves and stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JordanKai posted:

Mk 9 has raiden gets visions of the dark future and he tries to change the way things go, but since there aren't 7 previous movies to retcon they could drop that side plot completely and be no worse off

As an aside, if any of you watched mk21 legit on HBOMax, the service now has a show called Warrior which has both good story and really loving good fighting sequences that you should check out

site fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 27, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JordanKai posted:

The premise is that Raiden sends a single cryptic phrase to his past self as he dies, which also leads to him having visions at times of the MK1-Armageddon timeline. He acts differently due to these (usually loving up, because he's Raiden) so it changes the storyline. Nobody travels through time otherwise.

(The latest one includes the god of time and has time shenanigans though.)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
One of the reasons MK9's story was so strong is because it was basically a second pass; especially in the MK1 bits before Raiden's fuckups compound into timeline deviations, it's basically "okay look this is what the story would've been the first time if we'd worked out all the worldbuilding and knew what we were doing".

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Mk 9 has raiden gets visions of the dark future and he tries to change the way things go, but since there aren't 7 previous movies to retcon they could drop that side plot completely and be no worse off

As an aside, if any of you watched mk21 legit on HBOMax, the service now has a show called Warrior which has both good story and really loving good fighting sequences that you should check out

Warrior is loving AMAZING, I'm still early in season 1, only watching an episode a day, and I just finished the one where they're stuck at a saloon in Nevada and it was one of the best Westerns I've ever watched.

I started Warrior because I heard that some of the people behind the Kung Fu reboot were involved in it. I have not watched the new Kung Fu because I'm waiting to hear how much bullshit CW relationship drama it contains.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

thebardyspoon posted:

I guess sort of? It starts in an apocalyptic future and a character sends a message to himself in the past to try and avert it. Many comedic misunderstandings and a somewhat different but potentially better future ensue. MK11 went full time travel as an active thing in the plot with characters actually meeting other versions of themselves and stuff.

If by comedic misunderstandings, you mean Raiden fucks up so badly that he manages to get everyone other than Sonya and Johnny killed as well as make Liu Kang lose all faith and swear vengeance on Raiden as he dies, then yes. :v: There's a reason people call Raiden the Blunder God.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

amigolupus posted:

If by comedic misunderstandings, you mean Raiden fucks up so badly that he manages to get everyone other than Sonya and Johnny killed as well as make Liu Kang lose all faith and swear vengeance on Raiden as he dies, then yes. :v: There's a reason people call Raiden the Blunder God.
If that is not your definition of "comedic misunderstanding" then Mortal Kombat is not the franchise for you.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

JordanKai posted:

The storyline of MK9 is essentially an alternate timeline, framed around Raiden getting a vague warning from his future self about Armageddon, which ultimately causes him to change the flow of time (potentially for the worse, but also maybe not).

You could adapt the story of MK9 relatively painlessly by just removing the moments where Raiden's trying to prevent Armageddon. Everything else plays out as an adaptation/revision of the first 3 games and doesn't really need the contextualization of a changing timeline.

Of course, if you then decide you want to adapt MK11's storyline, then maybe that could be a problem since MK11's plot is centered around Kronika wanting a do-over because Raiden hosed it all up, but I think you could still get to that point in a slightly different way that still serves the same purpose.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Surely it can't be that hard to do a tournament fighting movie with Liu Kang as the protagonist against increasingly wacky opponents.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

The storyline of MK9 is essentially an alternate timeline, framed around Raiden getting a vague warning from his future self about Armageddon, which ultimately causes him to change the flow of time (potentially for the worse, but also maybe not).

You could adapt the story of MK9 relatively painlessly by just removing the moments where Raiden's trying to prevent Armageddon. Everything else plays out as an adaptation/revision of the first 3 games and doesn't really need the contextualization of a changing timeline.

Of course, if you then decide you want to adapt MK11's storyline, then maybe that could be a problem since MK11's plot is centered around Kronika wanting a do-over because Raiden hosed it all up, but I think you could still get to that point in a slightly different way that still serves the same purpose.

You can even still give Raiden visions he misinterprets for fun and profit. He's a god, after all.

A message from his future self doesn't have to be the reason.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

Surely it can't be that hard to do a tournament fighting movie with Liu Kang as the protagonist against increasingly wacky opponents.
I said this last time the "what plot should the MK movies be" discussion came around: roughly a million Shaolin movies have done "a martial arts tournament is being held by bad guys and a bunch of people have shown up for varying reasons"; rent a few and figure it out, and "if ten of these tournaments get lost in a row, Earth is destroyed, and we've lost the last nine" is extremely easy stakes to understand.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jamesman posted:

You could probably just say she's pissed that killing liu kang altered the timeline so drastically she wants to step in, which bypasses the need to explain all the other left out time fuckery. Or that killing shinnok made her super mad since that's her son or something

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SonicRulez posted:

Too confusing for American audiences.

Maybe hmm let's make the main character Lou Kane, everyday guy who trains at the local karate place at the strip mall.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I said this last time the "what plot should the MK movies be" discussion came around: roughly a million Shaolin movies have done "a martial arts tournament is being held by bad guys and a bunch of people have shown up for varying reasons"; rent a few and figure it out, and "if ten of these tournaments get lost in a row, Earth is destroyed, and we've lost the last nine" is extremely easy stakes to understand.

Hell the games pull it off with some text during an attract mode.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dexo posted:

Maybe hmm let's make the main character Lou Kane, everyday guy who trains at the local karate place at the strip mall.

This actually made me sad.

Lou Kane vs Shane Tongue for the safety of Earth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

That name is too foreign sounding. How about Cole Young.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dexo posted:

So basically the lead is Johnny from Cobra Kai?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
mortal kombat is known for sweeping the leg

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If they do Cobra Kai guest fighters for MK12 it's a day-one buy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

:stare:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CapnAndy posted:

Hoooooooooooooly gently caress I have never wanted to see anything so badly in my life

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

When I grabbed 9 and started it i was blown away by the fact there was a story, and a reason for all this mayhem.

I was thinking more about the movie and if they wanted to have an Asian lead so they came up with an OC, why not make him Johnny Cage? Nothing says Cage can't be Asian, you can even say his real name is Kage, and everyone just kept mispronouncing it so it just became Cage.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1387423868160196619
How much money is made making everything in computers/greenscreen? Is it really that much?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm gonna talk out of my rear end here and guess a lot of it's just the consequence of treating these productions like assembly lines and doing stuff like the pre-viz on the action so far in advance. I do like the MCU, but the main reason I'm excited for Eternals because Zhao has the potential to make something really different and I'm hoping it's as refreshing as I'm hearing it might be.

The full quote from Feige also comes off a little too breathless and amazed by the possibilities of shooting things with a film camera, by the way. It's kind of embarrassing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arist posted:

I'm gonna talk out of my rear end here and guess a lot of it's just the consequence of treating these productions like assembly lines and doing stuff like the pre-viz on the action so far in advance. I do like the MCU, but the main reason I'm excited for Eternals because Zhao has the potential to make something really different and I'm hoping it's as refreshing as I'm hearing it might be.

The full quote from Feige also comes off a little too breathless and amazed by the possibilities of shooting things with a film camera, by the way. It's kind of embarrassing.
Yeah I was seeing a lot of people dunking on it on twitter to score dumb points in how the MCU is the poison of the film industry etc. I could buy that it Feige trying to convince a bunch of Disney suits to loosen the purse strings

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm kind of shocked that at this point feige doesn't have the power to do something like greenlight practical location shooting on his own

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The part about Feige repeatedly having to point out that everything was in-camera was totally fine IMO because he's trying to justify and defend Zhao's creative decision, presumably to a room full of suits. I have no problem with that. The part that's just kind of cringy is the bit at the end of the quote where he sees Nomadland and remarks that "this is her signature style," which, dude, come on

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
it wouldn't be a true little piece of new information about a marvel movie without a handful of holier than thou nerds on twitter reading everything in the absolute worst possible light