Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If I was expanding my list to 10, I'd throw in Baltimore, DC, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I haven't been to Wrigley since 2016 and apparently the whole area has just completely transformed since then. AT&T/Oracle is really nice, so is PetCo, I honestly think Dodger Stadium is kinda poo poo. The concessions are good but the park itself is pretty bland and getting to/from it is such a clusterfuck I do not blame fans for showing up in the 3rd and ducking out by the 7th to avoid the insane traffic jam. O.Co sucks but the tickets are insanely cheap, I got to watch Ohtani's MLB debut from the third row right by 3B for like $30, almost the exact same seats for $20 on a Fourth of July game where I got to watch James Shields get absolutely shelled.

At some point I really need to do a ballpark tour, in particular I really want to see Fenway and PNC.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poque posted:

Miller "American Family" Park has great food and the tailgating rules but IMO it is a miserable experience inside when the roof is closed. And then it's a field designed by dumbasses when the roof is open with regard to how light hits the field, but that's a problem for players and not me. Definitely much more fun there when the roof is open in spite of it.

I've only been to two (Miller and Minute Maid) but I hate retractable roofs, aesthetically. It's a dome half the time, and it's an airplane hangar the other half. If you're looking out to center field, you should see city, IMO

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PNC Park does a ballpark craft beer festival during non-covid times and it's fun because you can hang out in the dugouts and drink beer.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I've been thinking for a while that I want to do a cool post-covid (well, hopefully) baseball roadtrip sometime next year so please keep the recommendations coming

I did this as kind of a west coast swing years ago and loved it. I actually met a couple doing the exact same thing in SF and had dinner with them in SD.

I think as far as cost/fun ratio goes I think you'd have a hard time beating an upper midwest tour (Min, Mil, Chi, Det, Cle, Pit or something along those lines) but that's more driving and not very convenient for someone on the coasts.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
There's a reason the old joke goes "ump must have dinner reservations."

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

bewbies posted:

I did this as kind of a west coast swing years ago and loved it. I actually met a couple doing the exact same thing in SF and had dinner with them in SD.

I think as far as cost/fun ratio goes I think you'd have a hard time beating an upper midwest tour (Min, Mil, Chi, Det, Cle, Pit or something along those lines) but that's more driving and not very convenient for someone on the coasts.

Probably your most efficient trip would be an east coast Boston down to DC trip, that would be 6 parks. I think if you're good with an extended road trip though, you could say fly to Min and rent a car to go Min, Mil, Chi, Chi, Det, Cle, Pit, Cin, STL, KC to hit 10 parks in a nice big circle. Most of those cities are 5 hours our less apart, with a bunch being only 2 hours apart.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/1387483804563017731

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm in the UK so no area of the US is really much more or less convenient than any other area

I could start in NY and go via Philly, Baltimore/DC, Pittsburgh, and then either through Cleveland/Detroit or Columbus/Cincy/Indy and finish in Chicago (sadly I don't think my budget would stretch enough to let me carry on and go coast-to-coast)

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

There's also a million zillion minor league affiliates and parks on that east coast path. Off the top of my head I can think of teams in Fredericksburg (used to be in Potomac) and Richmond, the Baysox and whoever plays at Ripken field, there's a team in York, PA and the Ironpigs, Reading, Trenton, and I dunno who cares what happens upstate NY

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Without ranking...

Old Yankee Stadium - The interior was just chipped cinder with crummy amenities, but the field is gorgeous and the stadium was my baseball home. I can't smell freshly cut grass without picturing that sigh of emerging from the tunnels and seeing the field. RIP.

New Yankee Stadium - A museum but a nice one, and it it opens the stadium up nicely. Its clearly not one built with bells and whistles and franchises because it thinks the Yankees are the sell. And obviously gently caress Yankees fans aren't gonna go for that. But I'm a Yankee fan so its cool.

Shea - A dump but one with a ton of heart that screamed NY. A+ tailgating.

Citifield - Gorgeous that screams... NY baseball that isn't Mets. Which is funny but its cool and fun.

Wrigley - Nothing really to write home about but a ream charm in the old school stadium feel that reminded me of Old Yankee Stadium and that home thing. Its cramped and busted but like, its baseball pure and simple and that was a ton of fun as were the fans. Probably one of the friendlier environments I've had at an away game. They did make me piss in a trough though so major points off.

Not Comiskey - This was the back end of a Cubs/Mets and Yankees/Sox double header day and I was pretty drunk. The stadium felt kind of cramped and cold and old but not bad. I remember we watched part of the game from behind a cage in the OF/behind the bullpen at field level and that was really cool. Otherwise I remember drinking mystery booze from some Sox fan's flask and then he and his group of friends getting in a massive brawl with some Yankee fans like seconds after the game ended.

Citizen's Bank - Like I said, my absolute favorite. Such a relaxed, intimate, baseball feel to it. I'd absolutely love to live in Philly and just get the cheapest seats whenever i felt like it and just roam around watching the game. Just really love it and its been too long since I took a trip to Philly for a game and some sandwiches.

PNC - I loved it but I feel like there was so much that I was kind of overwhelmed in one visit and just spent the entire time lapping the stadium. The bridge is kind of amazing. I think they had some great barbecue in this weird but cool pit behind CF? I might be confusing it with another stadium. I got this really cool stein commemorating one of their teams. Really felt like Baseball Disney World that I couldn't take it in one visit. People were weirdly short.

Camden - I loved it when it was new but I feel like it aged badly. Eutaw Street is great and I was calling it "Baseball Disney World" back then but then all the new stadiums found ways to incorporate that stuff more fluidly with the field. Its still a gorgeous stadium and Eutaw street is worth a good visit, but its weird how much time I've spent in that stadium either in Eutaw St or in the plush, carpeted, leather couched, bar sections just listening to a game somewhere else.

Skydome - I was pretty young but it seemed futuristic as gently caress in the 90s. It probably isn't now.

Olympic Stadium - Kind of a dump but I went there for the last Expos game and its one of the most emotional baseball experiences of my life sharing it with all these old Expos fans who had been with the team and had to say goodbye.

RFK - Ha. But I saw the first Nationals game there (and the first one in Philly on Opening Day) and they did this thing Souki and the Philly Phanatic from the last Expos game to the Philly game to the RFK game that was real fun to experience all in person.

Riverfront - I did the Reds Hall of Fame and found out my hands are nearly as big as Johnny Bench's, and I did the stadium tour and got to walk the field and go in the press box and meet a bunch of players. Stadium looked nice and I really enjoyed the experience. But it definitely trades in "history" and like my guess is my experience was the same as people who come to Yankee Stadium and kind of don't care and kind of don't like the team. Sky Chili was forgettable.

Miller Park - I remember... touring the beer factory... and free samples... and a parking lot... and jeering some random player...

Popete posted:

If you want the true Miller Park experience just get drunk in the parking lot until you black out in your lawn chair somewhere around the 3rd inning and wake up after the game is over.

Score!

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 28, 2021

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

STAC Goat posted:

PNC - I loved it but I feel like there was so much that I was kind of overwhelmed in one visit and just spent the entire time lapping the stadium. The bridge is kind of amazing. I think they had some great barbecue in this weird but cool pit behind CF? I might be confusing it with another stadium. I got this really cool stein commemorating one of their teams. Really felt like Baseball Disney World that I couldn't take it in one visit. People were weirdly short.

yea that's Manny’s BBQ, former Bucs catcher Manny Sanguillen's bbq place. he’s there personally a lot of games lol

He was on the '71 and '79 WS teams

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Casnorf posted:

There's also a million zillion minor league affiliates and parks on that east coast path. Off the top of my head I can think of teams in Fredericksburg (used to be in Potomac) and Richmond, the Baysox and whoever plays at Ripken field, there's a team in York, PA and the Ironpigs, Reading, Trenton, and I dunno who cares what happens upstate NY

There's the Somerset Patriots in Jersey and have a really nice little park as well. They were an independent team until this year, when they became the Yankees AA affiliate, so I'm sure the Yankees will be pouring some big money into it, if they haven't already started.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If you hit NYC the Brooklyn Cyclones play on Coney island and its pretty cool.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 28, 2021

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Seconding that yea. staten island yanks had a cool stadium too but they sadly no longer exist

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

I honestly think Dodger Stadium is kinda poo poo. The concessions are good but the park itself is pretty bland
This is like the exact opposite of reality. The concessions at Dodger Stadium are bland, generic, and overpriced while the stadium itself is beautifully mid-century modern, and perfectly situated into the hillside such that sitting in the grandstand you'd have no idea you're right in the middle of a massive metro area. Sightlines are fantastic for such a large capacity stadium.

Transit is in/out is a complete abomination though, no argument there. They need to put a light rail stop in there but it'll never happen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Giants SJ affiliate used to pass out a bunch of free tickets to grocery stores for people to take, I'd always grab a couple and tell myself I'd go and then other things would come up and I'd forget. Going to try to go to more games if things ever open back up.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
In happier news, here's Edwin Encarnacion's son hitting a dinger and taking the parrot for a walk

https://twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1387501645383225354

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Without ranking...

Not Comiskey - This was the back end of a Cubs/Mets and Yankees/Sox double header day and I was pretty drunk. The stadium felt kind of cramped and cold and old but not bad. I remember we watched part of the game from behind a cage in the OF/behind the bullpen at field level and that was really cool. Otherwise I remember drinking mystery booze from some Sox fan's flask and then he and his group of friends getting in a massive brawl with some Yankee fans like seconds after the game ended.

Score!

Pretty much the platonic Comiskey experience.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

This is like the exact opposite of reality. The concessions at Dodger Stadium are bland, generic, and overpriced while the stadium itself is beautifully mid-century modern, and perfectly situated into the hillside such that sitting in the grandstand you'd have no idea you're right in the middle of a massive metro area. Sightlines are fantastic for such a large capacity stadium.

Transit is in/out is a complete abomination though, no argument there. They need to put a light rail stop in there but it'll never happen.

What you call mid-century modern I call extremely bland and forgetful, sorry. The sightline is good though. As for concessions the last time I was there I sat in the bleachers and there was a really good craft beer place, albeit getting to it and back to my seat in a timely manner was pretty difficult.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been keeping ongoing rankings as I had visited places
1 - Comerica Park
2 - Yankee Stadium
3 - Busch Stadium
4t - Progressive Field
4t - Citi Field
6 - Oakland Coliseum
7 - Petco Park
8- Chase Field
9 - Coors Field
10 - Oracle Park
11 - T-Mobile Park
12 - Miller Park
DNF - Great American Ballpark

I was surprised by how much I liked Detroit and St. Louis.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Pretty much the platonic Comiskey experience.

Yeah, I did Wrigley sober and had a great baseball time, day drank, rode the L to Comiskey, got wasted with strangers, and narrowly avoided a brawl and getting arrested. From everything I gather I did that day right.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’ve missed two chances to see a game at Wrigley, and I even had tickets. Once from a missed connecting flight and once when I was in town for a wedding and we all got too drunk bar hopping to the park. Through fate and my own stupidity I’ve decided it’s not meant to be.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

What you call mid-century modern I call extremely bland and forgetful, sorry. The sightline is good though. As for concessions the last time I was there I sat in the bleachers and there was a really good craft beer place, albeit getting to it and back to my seat in a timely manner was pretty difficult.
Mid-century Modern is not some random descriptor I conjured up, it is an influential and significant architectural & design style.

You don't have to like it, but a lot of people do and it makes the stadium noteworthy as none of the other stadiums from that era really exemplified the style so well and they all aged poorly in comparison. There is a reason DS is the only stadium still in use from that era.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I don't think its possible to overstate how prolific and beloved Dodger Stadium is for its design by anyone working in a related field. Every time I see a presentation having to do with anything combining sports and architecture/design (which is a lot) Dodger stadium is referenced.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
it's also a fantastic study on how to use political capital and wealth and eminent domain to brutalize poor and marginalized people

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Julio Cruz posted:

I've been thinking for a while that I want to do a cool post-covid (well, hopefully) baseball roadtrip sometime next year so please keep the recommendations coming

also any minor-league parks that particularly stand out, I really love the idea of just deciding to go to a game and rocking up and paying like <$20 for field-level seats

Hit up the Durham Bulls stadium, it’s not the lovely nostalgic Bull Durham one and that’s for the best, it’s just a very nice, well-run modern ballpark.

The Birmingham Barons’ new downtown stadium is super nice too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is it too early for a May thread title?

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1387506126619561986?s=20

MLB N/V May: It's interesting and it's funny and it sucks

The only stadiums I've been to are the Trop and New Yankee Stadium so my only opinion is please give them a new stadium.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
New York is a blight.

bawfuls posted:

Mid-century Modern is not some random descriptor I conjured up, it is an influential and significant architectural & design style.

You don't have to like it, but a lot of people do and it makes the stadium noteworthy as none of the other stadiums from that era really exemplified the style so well and they all aged poorly in comparison. There is a reason DS is the only stadium still in use from that era.

I am aware it is an actual style yes, thank you. I just don't happen to find it aesthetically pleasing in any real sense. Sorry :shrug:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Get club seats at the Trop. Already-paid-for well liquor and comfy seats and significantly fewer drunken rednecks to contend with. I think I've mentioned before that it's like 125/person all-in and that's honestly well under what we pay for ADA seating in the shade at Nats Park when you count beer and food.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Sydin posted:

I am aware it is an actual style yes, thank you. I just don't happen to find it aesthetically pleasing in any real sense. Sorry :shrug:

turn on your monitor

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

bewbies posted:

it's also a fantastic study on how to use political capital and wealth and eminent domain to brutalize poor and marginalized people

But enough about every stadium in America.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I've been to four major league parks: the Metrodome (which I loved for nostalgic reasons because I was mostly a child when I was there), Target Field (gently caress yeah Target Field), The Stadium Wherein the White Sox Play and Its Ever-Rotating Naming Rights (it is definitely A Place) and Wrigley (best crowd I ever dealt with, at the NL central Game 163 a couple years back.)

Minors I've been to several games at the Tincaps stadium in Fort Wayne (best minor league stadium for several years running!), the machine shed that the Cedar Rapids Kernels play at, and two indie league parks: the Chicago Dogs and the Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks. All the minor league games were great fun, and the seating is almost universally great, especially from a cost perspective.

Majors it's a bit different. Wrigley and Target Field definitely felt like baseball was part of the neighborhood, the 'dome and the Baseball Stadium on the South Side both felt like concrete boxes which contained baseball, but I give the edge to the Sox because the field itself is gorgeous and the Metrodome had, yknow, the baggie. I've been to several Sox games and the game itself is always great, but it feels like a parking garage getting around it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I find it odd how Dodger stadium has so little outfield seating. The stadium is humongous and there’s just like nothing past the fence.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

rickiep00h posted:

Majors it's a bit different. Wrigley and Target Field definitely felt like baseball was part of the neighborhood, the 'dome and the Baseball Stadium on the South Side both felt like concrete boxes which contained baseball, but I give the edge to the Sox because the field itself is gorgeous and the Metrodome had, yknow, the baggie. I've been to several Sox games and the game itself is always great, but it feels like a parking garage getting around it.

That's an underrated part of the ballpark experience. And like its not really (entirely) in the team/stadium's control but a stadium that has baseball life around it is entirely different from a stadium that just is in the middle of a lot or like walking into a convention center.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 29, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

I find it odd how Dodger stadium has so little outfield seating. The stadium is humongous and there’s just like nothing past the fence.
I find it odd how much outfield seating most stadiums have. It's so far away from most of the action, why build multiple levels way out there?

Of course the ends of the Reserve level (third level down by the foul poles) is also really far away. I like how Kaufman gently tapers the height of the top level from the plate out to the foul poles.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 29, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I almost made it to Kaufman but a thunderstorm started as we were driving there. I almost made it to Petco but we were worn out from our other tourist activities.

And that is the sum total of my MLB experience.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I've only been to Oracle/AT&T/Pac Bell (great), Dodger Stadium (good), Oakland Coliseum (old and busted), and Candlestick Park (long time ago but was probably old and busted then too).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I really need to go to more ballparks as I've only gone to... 5 of them for non minors baseball?

- Safeco/tmobile, probably my favorite for Homer reasons. They do constant renovations and it still is a great experience overall experience, especially in terms of food.
- Wrigley, you can really get a sense of history here. I enjoyed the food and drinks, but man it's cramped and dingy.
- AT&T park, went here in early 2000s so I imagine it's changed a lot but it was... fine? Had early Safeco vibes sans a retractable roof.
- Nagoya dome, pretty bland but I gotta say their beer, burger and fries for 1000 yen deal is a drat good one. The fan experience is like no other.
- kingdome, lol I'm glad they blew that place up.

I was supposed to go to Minneapolis last year and would have gone to Target field, but :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

seiferguy posted:

- Safeco/tmobile, probably my favorite for Homer reasons. They do constant renovations and it still is a great experience overall experience, especially in terms of food:
hell yeah fried grasshoppers my dude