Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

In other fascism news:

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1387537560100999170

When you're pining for the good old days of De Gaulle and Guerre d'Algérie :france:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

https://twitter.com/edballs/status/1387426585196875776?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/abcdesevilla/status/1387482898564005891

This guy died:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDphUib5iG4&t=270s

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bulletsponge, I just want you to know that I deeply appreciate what you share here and that I've shared a few of your posts in the past with some family members who were developing chickenhawk tendencies and it made a difference.

Your words and experiences have the power to change people for the better, and I have seen it happen, and I thank you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's RWDS in case it's something I don't want to google

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Right wing death squad, generally

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's RWDS in case it's something I don't want to google

Right Wing Death Squad.

Patriot Front puts it on their Tshirts. Several Portland, OR police have been outed as PF members.

PF stickers and propaganda are posted all over cities in New England on a 2-3x per week basis. Fun stuff.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I grew up poor in Baltimore. My Mom loved crack more than me. I watched a man bleed to death before the first time I went Trick or Treating. I still remember one of the many times as a child that I planted my feet, decided this is where I stand, and raised fists to fist fight grown men. My moral compass has no true North because I was raised on literature and pop culture; sometimes there is no good, just less bad.

War was light work. "If you aren't dead, don't take the job" was a familiar refrain, which looking back, had to be utterly terrifying to have a loving kid say that to a "professional" soldier. I enjoyed the hell out of war, because I was bred for it. I loved it, because when everyone was afraid, I wasn't. Fear was a luxury that I couldn't afford. My life was nothing but trauma, so what was a little more? Now, I am an old man in a broken frame, who gets sucker punched with fear- because I'm so loving afraid for the kid in my memory. Real fear- that same cold claustrophobic loneliness I felt alone moving towards contact.

My therapist (this poor woman- I saw her as a therapist as a teen, before I joined the Army. Now she gets to see what I did with her work. Lol) keeps reminding me that the sheer joy and carefree I felt was disassociation, it's not healthy, and what I'm feeling is normal. But gently caress man.

I get angry at the Army- they should have seen I was hurt, I was burned out, that I shouldn't keep running. But as long as I came out ok, they would keep sending me in.

I get angry at my lower leadership- as a leader, there is no loving way I would put a young trooper into what I was put into. I would take the position as a leader, but they didn't. (I have a crappy piece of art therapy about an episode, that if anyone wants, I can share)- but I also know that I was a little insubordinate little gently caress, and would have done what I wanted. And there is no way I would let someone else take a risk- I was raised with the mindset that is summed up by Warren Zevon's "Hit Somebody!": 'Protection- is what you're here for." I know we use the whole "move out and draw fire" as a joke. But I've done it. More than once. I've been bait for baited ambushes. My latest trauma kicking my rear end is sitting next to a scared little girl that everyone but me pegged as a suicide bomber. I was sure she wasn't in the moment, but I never stopped to check for a belt. I sat next to her, because she was upset and scared and crying, and that's what you do- I was a loving Paratrooper. And now I'm so god drat of that loving moment.

I was an incredible trooper. Being old makes me realize that. But to be someone who excels in those horrible moments, you have to be a pretty poo poo human being. I treated war and combat like free form jazz. I know I had a hand in this miscreation, but it's not like you choose. You do the right thing because it's right. Not because you like it, agree with it, or want to.

Sorry I just dumped my purse. Lmao

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Terrifying Effigies posted:

In other fascism news:

When you're pining for the good old days of De Gaulle and Guerre d'Algérie :france:

The letter in question.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

bulletsponge13 posted:

You do the right thing because it's right. Not because you like it, agree with it, or want to.

Pour away bulletsponge, you're good people, your words are useful and we're all ears. Thank you for posting.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Shits beautiful bulletsponge. Real skald.

I did my viking sojourn for our nation. I felt good about the defense of S Korea and being Jon Snow at Jeollabuk-do. Met my wife there, a fellow traveler, an esl teacher. I felt terrible about the middle east defending Qatar and Saudi Arabia. None of the assets we seized or money we used went to good people. It didn't go back to our people. It all went to some rear end in a top hat who signed off on 9/11, petty warlord, or McKinsey consultant. America is a viking country, our 2 main exports are war and culture. But nobody would know that living here, it affects nothing at home.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Don't ever apologize for dumping. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

bulletsponge13 posted:

My therapist (this poor woman- I saw her as a therapist as a teen, before I joined the Army. Now she gets to see what I did with her work. Lol) keeps reminding me that the sheer joy and carefree I felt was disassociation, it's not healthy, and what I'm feeling is normal. But gently caress man.

As someone else who has seen a therapist before, sometimes it just feels good to brain dump. I think my therapist was scared of me sometimes, he would act like he accidently did something to set me off and apologize. I honestly had no idea and was always confused, I was never mad at him. I remembered he said I would shut him out. After one tough session I remember driving home and loving Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger started playing on the radio and I just started bawling on the highway. I had been physically drained plenty of times but that was the first time I was just emotionally exhausted. It was rather cathartic.

I wish more people would seek therapy but certain parts of society look down on it. Personally I think recognizing that something is wrong and attempting to fix it is only a good thing. I wish more people would view it as such.

edit:

Dr. Fauci reacts to Joe Rogans dumbass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QVPjioDvEc

Wrong Theory fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 29, 2021

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Iain posted:

As someone else who has seen a therapist before, sometimes it just feels good to brain dump. I think my therapist was scared of me sometimes, he would act like he accidently did something to set me off and apologize. I honestly had no idea and was always confused, I was never mad at him. I remembered he said I would shut him out. After one tough session I remember driving home and loving Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger started playing on the radio and I just started bawling on the highway. I had been physically drained plenty of times but that was the first time I was just emotionally exhausted. It was rather cathartic.

I wish more people would seek therapy but certain parts of society look down on it. Personally I think recognizing that something is wrong and attempting to fix it is only a good thing. I wish more people would view it as such.

My therapist is amazing. I'm not her typical client, but she is someone who will be casually brutal when I'm being dense, and is incredible at reframing things because I've been carrying this poo poo- much unknowingly- for years, and my perspective is skewed at best.

I'm incredibly thankful that she took me on. She wasn't taking new patients, but is skipping lunch once a week to meet with me.

It was also nice to hear that she tried to get me help as a kid, but no one was going to help, and buy the time they would have, I would have been in the Army.

Therapy is amazing, when you find the right people.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Biden just said "Let's raise the minimum wage to $15"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Seconding "post away bulletsponge13".

And moderna #2 report: it's been 10 hours and it's basically exactly the same as dose #2 - a hosed up shoulder and that's about it. I ran a 5K a few hours ago and recently shat out my liver (these things are usually connected versus vaccination-effects), so here's to hoping!

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/1387580798124101639

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Tag yourself: https://mobile.twitter.com/KeatonPatti/status/1387535122971336705?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

With the caveat that it's a photoshop, I'm ABOLISH LASAGNA

All forms of tortellini are better mechanisms for the delivery of all included items.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mrs Mable here

Ok, so in Los Angeles liberal land there's a month long PR surge to get Academy people to watch the For Your Consideration dvd and vote in the Oscars. Last year when that show was up they rented out a gas station and sold all their products at like old timey prices like $0.05/gallon of gas. Wife went out there and waited 2.5 hours to fill up.

That's my story, still haven't watched that show.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm all kinds of Sex Blimp.

Also, :love: to all y'all. Make a war criminal feel loved

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I am here to vote against abolishing lasagna

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Jumping on the "thanks for sharing your truth" bandwagon with zero irony.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Therapy is amazing, when you find the right people.

1. Thanks for sharing, I don't have much else to add that isn't already said

2. This isn't directed at your but in general to the thread: As a therapist, I tell everyone I deal with that therapy is a customer service industry. If you, as the client, give it your level best and aren't connecting and getting that therapeutic rapport, then let your therapist know, ask for referrals, and find someone new. Being open and honest is hard but it will save you and their time

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

1. Thanks for sharing, I don't have much else to add that isn't already said

2. This isn't directed at your but in general to the thread: As a therapist, I tell everyone I deal with that therapy is a customer service industry. If you, as the client, give it your level best and aren't connecting and getting that therapeutic rapport, then let your therapist know, ask for referrals, and find someone new. Being open and honest is hard but it will save you and their time

That's the reason most people give up- they don't do their part, and/or don't understand that therapy is a relationship, and sometimes the chemistry ain't there.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
McNally change my name to SEX BLIMP asap. Hell put it on my grave.

e] Sponge posts like yours are what makes GiP such a good loving place.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 29, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I thoroughly believe that Biden got elected because the general public wanted boring back. With the caveat that usually only supporters watch these things, he gave the people what they wanted:

https://twitter.com/CBSNewsPoll/status/1387602465286238213?s=19

Or maybe that's just my 99.6 Moderna fever hitting. Time for tylenol and bed. :)

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hey just a casual reminder that Glenn Greenwald is at best a colossal rear end in a top hat who never misses an opportunity to miss the point.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1387559932812308489

facialimpediment posted:

Or maybe that's just my 99.6 Moderna fever hitting. Time for tylenol and bed. :)

Moderna #2 kicked my rear end. I spent all day in bed yesterday with a low-grade headache, fatigue and aches in my joints. It took me a solid 12 hours before I moved more than 10' between my bed and the bathroom, but after getting a good night's sleep last night, I practically did a backflip out of bed when I woke up this morning. Hoping you don't have a similar reaction, but even if you do, it's not that bad and it's made even less severe by thinking about all the fun poo poo you'll get to do again in a few weeks. Good luck!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bulletsponge13 posted:

I grew up poor in Baltimore. ...

Jeeeeezus. Don't regret talking about this poo poo. Not ever.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What if the right wing and the gun lobby have been colluding with a foreign power to have their main political opponents become very impassioned about disarming themselves before the cops had a big riot to kill off the loudest critics just so they could blame their own opponents for being "vengeful" of a failed impeachment attempt that they themselves could control the vote on and packing the courts in the event this goes sideways?

Like crazy right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Hey just a casual reminder that Glenn Greenwald is at best a colossal rear end in a top hat who never misses an opportunity to miss the point.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1387559932812308489

Glenn thinks that 9/11 was worse than Pearl Harbor? How dare he!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I believe there was a sex blimp in the novel the "Altered Carbon" Netflix show was based on.

Not kidding

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kesper North posted:

I believe there was a sex blimp in the novel the "Altered Carbon" Netflix show was based on.

Not kidding

“Head in the Clouds”

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

I don't remember the last time I ran a fever, so I'm treating all of this as a hilarious novelty and it doesn't bother me at all. I practically celebrated once I hit triple digits right before bed. I woke up at 3 and was only 97.1, then just woke up, thought I was ok, but the headache is back with a 99.7 and popped more tylenol. Still don't know if the shits were running-induced or vaccine-induced, but my feet don't like me very much at all :v:

I also found it weird that I didn't dream at all, until I realized my brain decided that the mRNA-induced spike proteins were like Imps in a Doom II slaughter map and I woke up when they were all dead. Brains are goofy.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

In other fascism news:

I think this crowd is more Vichy than Algeria

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Not a whole lot of the Vichy crowd left, Algeria is a lot more recent.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I pine for the halcyon days of such successful military juntas as:

People are so loving stupid. The idea of saving the republic by giving the military power is some dawn of civilization thinking that was rightly criticized when it was first suggested.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Grip it and rip it posted:

I pine for the halcyon days of such successful military juntas as:

People are so loving stupid. The idea of saving the republic by giving the military power is some dawn of civilization thinking that was rightly criticized when it was first suggested.

Tempus est plana circuli.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

In other fascism news:

Google translate admittedly, but that reads more like a call to do something more about the regular terror attacks France has been facing. The line in question reads more like "we can't just sit here while you don't act [so we wrote this letter]".

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

wins32767 posted:

Google translate admittedly, but that reads more like a call to do something more about the regular terror attacks France has been facing. The line in question reads more like "we can't just sit here while you don't act [so we wrote this letter]".

What does "do something" mean about an issue that kills 5-10 people a year? The underlying message is that civil liberties need to be cut back for something that's less of a risk than kids falling into pools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
They are literally suggesting a military coup to "tackle Islamism"

Its Islamophobia all over again to address what really is a minor, albeit very visible issue by sacrificing all civil liberties and self-rule.