Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

X-O posted:

The last page guy is a new guy.

How Wonderful! posted:

ahhhhh should have known.

He looks cool though, and fits the general vein where I really thought he was a long-lost, like, Peter Gillis character or a forgotten Gerber or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
i'd never heard of Ace before - goddamn, that's a deep cut. Monsieur Khruul, too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The character's name apparently is Threadneedle. Nobody knows anything beyond that. I remember him being mentioned in the last issue of History of the Marvel Universe on that big spread page about future events. A lot of that has already happened. Still waiting on the marriage of Tony Stark and Emma Frost though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Still waiting on the marriage of Tony Stark and Emma Frost though.

ew, no thanks

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

I could see it, and don't hate it near as much as I would have if Slott was still writing Iron-Man.

Also, there's no way he doesn't have an invite to the Hellfire Gala.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

X-O posted:

On the one hand, it's stupid and I don't like it.

On the other hand, it will inevitably feature the White Queen in a flying diamond-armored mecha-corset.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is more controversial that she dated that gross spider fella than women.

Worse than that she dated a foreigner! Well, The Foreigner.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So that's who cold as ice is about

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

X-O posted:

The Marvels is the kind of book I've been hoping for as long as I can remember. I thought the concept was too close to an anthology book to be viable in the modern market and it might be. But having a book with no set roster where literally any Marvel character could pop up at any time for just one page or for a whole storyline is a great idea. Well it's a great idea provided you can get someone to write it that can actually write pretty much everyone well. Fortunately they've got one of the few people I'd trust to do that well in Kurt Busiek. I don't know if it'll last but it's going to be one of the books I look forward to the most as long as it does.

Not surprisingly it kind of reminds me of Astro City, with Threadneedle in place of the Broken Man from the last Astro City run.

I hope Busiek can stay healthy enough to keep a regular schedule with Marvels.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The latest Black Widow was fun and I like her new look, but her characterization was a bit weird. She doesn't strike me the type to compare her life to a video game. Then again, she was recently conditioned to think that she lived a normal live as an architect, so it might just be a weird aftereffect of the mind control.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 29, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i had the exact same thought while reading it. it was so weird

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was a strangely video game-like scenario. most of widow's enemies would simply send all their goons at her at once instead of this one at a time midboss poo poo. it is an odd approach after the first arc was about a bunch of old established villains making GBS threads their pants at the thought of her.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

How Wonderful! posted:

I cannot believe Ace is back. Also I have no clue who the guy on the last page was but I bet when I find out I'll be like ahhhhh should have known.

Wait
Wait
WAIT

Ace??? This guy??? He’s back???

This was one of the first Spider-Man comics I remember buying new off the rack!! I am beyond stoked about this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, he's back and seems to be majorly involved in whatever story they're building.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Who the gently caress is ace he looks like prince, if he is just prince that would be p cool

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Might be a limited audience of people who care about this shirt of thing but, thread

https://twitter.com/comichron/status/1387880828760477698?s=19

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

ilikedirt posted:

Who the gently caress is ace he looks like prince, if he is just prince that would be p cool

he's Prince, Michael Jackson circa 1985, and artist MD Bright put together. two appearances total prior to this, unless there's something I missed. a truly astoundingly deep cut.

Karma Tornado fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 30, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Might be a limited audience of people who care about this shirt of thing but, thread

https://twitter.com/comichron/status/1387880828760477698?s=19

Who the gently caress knows how honest they are being, but before COVID independent book stores were growing and I'm sure Penguin knows that so I actually believe them when they say they want more physical locations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

cant cook creole bream posted:

The latest Black Widow was fun and I like her new look, but her characterization was a bit weird. She doesn't strike me the type to compare her life to a video game. Then again, she was recently conditioned to think that she lived a normal live as an architect, so it might just be a weird aftereffect of the mind control.

I was reminded of that early issue of Al Ewing's Loki where Widow's trying to read while Hawkeye has somehow managed to get a 5-star wanted rating in a bass fishing simulator.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i gotta track down those spider-man issues with ace because the synopsis online sounds hilarious.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

What I want to track down are photos of young Mark D. Bright because the earliest pics of him I can find definitely lack that Ace sizzle

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 30, 2021

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
If memory serves, Ace was supposed to be a toned-down version of Bright.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

If memory serves, Ace was supposed to be a toned-down version of Bright.

Uhh, the cover is him on a motorcycle with headlights that look like the gaping maw of a shark and he looks like Michael Jackson holding a stick of dynamite.

What's your definition of "toned down"?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

This is why it is imperative that we find pictures of young Mark Bright!!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
From marvunapp.com so who knows how true it is, but apparently it came from Priest:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

*J. Jonah Jameson voice*
Bring me pictures of that motorcycle-riding menace Mark D. Bright!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If my old boss is to be believed (the shop owner) marvel is going to allow diamond to blow out the overstock remaining in their warehouses rather than move it to new locations. So there might be some fire sales on old crap in a few weeks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

If my old boss is to be believed (the shop owner) marvel is going to allow diamond to blow out the overstock remaining in their warehouses rather than move it to new locations. So there might be some fire sales on old crap in a few weeks.

I mean, Diamond is gonna die in the next 6 months.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I used to love dealing with those blowout sales on rando Marvel hardcovers or DC Collectibles statues and then going to a convention to see every booth stocked to the gills with them racing to the bottom on pricing

dozens of booths with forty copies each of the Acts of Vengeance tie ins omni and an array of possibly broken in box Batman Black and Whites

eta: diamond sent out a retailer notice that was like "we're gonna take a month to come up with a way to maybe possibly lower freight costs, but no promises. stay tuned" which is, like, lol, good effort

Karma Tornado fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 30, 2021

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, Diamond called me right after the Penguin rep, and when they couldn't answer a single one of my questions I just hadto laugh and feel bad for the guy. It is hard to imagine a world where Diamond lives long term other than as the people I buy Image titles and supplies from.

Now that my PRH account is set up, Lunar is not looking like where I will get my DC trades for either.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what the gently caress is the point of making a siancong forever war if you're just gonna write it as "this is explicitly vietnam" anyways

also why is daredevil of all people doing uso shows in vietnam

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, Diamond called me right after the Penguin rep, and when they couldn't answer a single one of my questions I just hadto laugh and feel bad for the guy. It is hard to imagine a world where Diamond lives long term other than as the people I buy Image titles and supplies from.

Now that my PRH account is set up, Lunar is not looking like where I will get my DC trades for either.

DCBS/IST/Lunar is turbo hosed as well. IST can't seem to fulfill orders in any manner of reasonable time table anymore and DCBS doesn't pay for poo poo so they are constantly training new staff and loving up orders left and right.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm not sure how i feel about the marvels, it was only sort of amusing, retconning vietnam out of existence still feels distasteful and it spends a lot of pages working on that, and also it's a crossover with astro city i guess with that one david bowie guy showing up

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Siancong War was created by Mark Waid to reconcile the sliding timeline that had all kinds of different characters having been parts of different real world wars. That way they're all part of the same war and you're not tying the pasts of these characters to real life events.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i know what it is and why they did it that doesn't make it less stupid. and with the addition of little siancong i was wondering if busiek was implying that either vietnam just doesn't exist or that because of siancong being the new forever war there wasn't immigration by south vietnamese and thus no little saigon communities popping up afterwards and this was replacing those communities, or if this was an entirely separate thing or what

site fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 30, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC did the same thing with Qurac, they needed a country where evily evil guys could come from. I believe there was a group of super terrorists from there in the early days of the post Crisis Superman books.

Oh and it was pretty distasteful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I have to hope Busiek wasn't trying to imply Vietnam didn't exist or that there wasn't a sizeable population of Vietnamese immigrants in America. I think it's more like how New York still exists in the DC universe they just focus more on Metropolis and Gotham. Doesn't make it good, but it's not a worst case scenario, I hope.

Marvel has several Asian American creators, I kinda wish Mark Waid had consulted with some of them before making up a whole new country.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

As far as I know Karma is still Vietnamese, I think Siancong is just a bonus country like the various Eastern European countries jostling all over the Marvel map. That being said I think it's a pretty misguided idea that I had hoped would die as soon as Mark Waid was done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

I have to hope Busiek wasn't trying to imply Vietnam didn't exist or that there wasn't a sizeable population of Vietnamese immigrants in America. I think it's more like how New York still exists in the DC universe they just focus more on Metropolis and Gotham. Doesn't make it good, but it's not a worst case scenario, I hope.

Marvel has several Asian American creators, I kinda wish Mark Waid had consulted with some of them before making up a whole new country.

i mean, they literally just copy pasted siancong over vietnam so i don't know what the gently caress

i have to believe kurt isn't trying to erase vietnam but if that's not their (his and marvel's) intent they're seemingly being very sloppy about it

site fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 30, 2021