Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

And 99% of big-city lez culture was (and this is in my OWN experience, NYC, 1988-95, other people may vary,) just a merry go round of 'processing' and dating and everybody being no more than 3 degrees of separate from everybody else. It was a weird, powerful, wonky time and I think Bechdel captures that pretty well.

Yeah I've been digging into a lot of stuff from that era lately (I'm in the middle of reading Lou Sullivan's diaries and Sarah Schulman's new ACT UP book) and it's funny how the more things change the more they stay the same in some ways. I moved to Philly right at the apex of the Reiki Era of queer poets and can still cite chapter and verse who was mad at who and who was having sex with who and who owed who rent money or beer money or who said they'd print whose chapbook and then didn't c. 2012-2015. I remember somebody liquidating her library because she needed cash to found a school of Atlantis yoga that had come to her in a dream, and her holding a permanent grudge against me because I bought her collected poems of Barbara Guest for a fiver. And then deciding to get a PhD because somebody at AWP did my tarot and said it was a really good idea (it was not).

I think part of why I love DtWOF so much is because it feels so hyper-specific and timely but I also know each of these characters intimately in various permutations in my own world. I could name my Ginger, my Lois, and so on. Same as it ever was, etc.!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (January 11, 1992)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Bonus: Dear Abby that weirdly synchronizes with Mary Worth, sort of.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Calm down, everybody. Gunther is going to be okay now that the psych major is on the scene!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (January 11, 1992)

Holy poo poo, kid, you're absolutely the worst. Get hosed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Calm down, everybody. Gunther is going to be okay now that the psych major is on the scene!

These are the last two people I would want helping me with relationship drama.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

The comic changes things a bit. In the book he just wanders around looking for the kitchen without seeing anyone.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

This storyline flopped like a dead fish. The first few turned on rather lame details, but at least they had something of a story. This had no tension, no motivations, and the "villain" is begging to be released from gloves he's had no complaints about earlier. Also, why *would* he have called in a report?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I know what will throw everyone off our trail: calling Encyclopedia Brown.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I know what will throw everyone off our trail: calling Encyclopedia Brown.

He wasn't even calling Encyclopedia Brown in the first place, he was trying to reach Encyclopedia's cop dad. But the kid picked up, said "Oh dad's not here, guess I'll come instead."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Bernice, you contemptable piece of poo poo.

e: in the interest of the slightest fairness: "why are you dressed as a pirate" is a valid question at this time. It's just not an important detail right now.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Julet Esqu posted:

gently caress off Bernice

gently caress off Dustin's dad

for someone who desperately wants his son to move out he sure has a great time destroying his confidence right before what seems to be a promising interview.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Bernice, you contemptable piece of poo poo.

e: in the interest of the slightest fairness: "why are you dressed as a pirate" is a valid question at this time. It's just not an important detail right now.

No, it's definitely a legitimate detail right now.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Bloop posted:

No, it's definitely a legitimate detail right now.

Yes, it's a legitimate detail because in the span of however long this shitshow storyline has been running it's been repeatedly harped on that Bets "made" Gunther sew the pirate costumes. We need to really drive home how she's a Bad Person who is only using him and doesn't actually consider his feelings.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 17, 1944)

Good grief he's dragging her caveman style

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JethroMcB posted:

Yes, it's a legitimate detail because in the span of however long this shitshow storyline has been running it's been repeatedly harped on that Bets "made" Gunther sew the pirate costumes. We need to really drive home how she's a Bad Person who is only using him and doesn't actually consider his feelings.

I mean ok sure but even trying to genuinely figure out what is going on, the fact that he is in that costume is a valid detail about the night and surrounding circumstances. Yes, just ask him what's up and let him tell you in his own words, but if he's just giving short answers and you have to drag it out of him that's probably going to be one of the first questions you'd ask.

Not defending the comic, it's bad, but I never understand why people defend certain characters in the comic who have somehow been "done dirty" as if they weren't all equally fictional.

The strip's overall treatment of POC is definitely an issue, though

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

George Carlin posted:

If you fall asleep on a couch in a house where a woman is present, there will be a blanket or a coat covering you when you awaken.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Kingdom posted:

If you fall asleep on a couch in a house where a woman is present, there will be a blanket or a coat covering you when you awaken.

And I will have sweat profusely all over it thanks a lot :mad:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

curtadams posted:

This storyline flopped like a dead fish. The first few turned on rather lame details, but at least they had something of a story. This had no tension, no motivations, and the "villain" is begging to be released from gloves he's had no complaints about earlier. Also, why *would* he have called in a report?

On the other hand, this is what I remember reading Encyclopedia Brown mysteries to be like when I was a kid. Maybe I just had a dud book or was a particularly dull child.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 1/3-5/43

"P.S. I hope whoever taught you English also taught you to read cursive."

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

LvK posted:

I haven't been paying attention to this one since I fell behind on the thread by about a week, but iirc one of its many issues is that the artist was a commercial illustrator and had a hard time keeping up with the schedule.

Selachian posted:

Yes, McMein was a Real Artist who was best known for doing magazine cover portraits. Her magazine cover work was drying up in 1942 because new printing techniques made it easier and cheaper for magazines to use photographs instead. So Deathless Deer was her trying something new, but as LvK says above, she had a tough time keeping up with a six-strip-a-week schedule.

Seriously, take a few minutes and glance over her biography. She sounds like she was a hell of a lot of fun.

Thank you both!

B Kliban

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the Comet

LITTLE MY HAS CHALLENGED :yeeclaw:CRAB:yeeclaw: AND EMERGED VICTORIOUS.

This entire section has been wonderful, I love the walk on the ocean floor.

Also, we're almost at where Prince Valiant was dropped last time it was posted, ran out of sources if I remember right, I'm looking forward to seeing new stories (even if I've forgotten enough of these ones that they might as well be anyways).

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov. 2nd, 1940

Axa

drat, I should have used that picture of Murray and Suzi here. But hey, the dream team is back!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 25-26, 1933)

Peanuts (April 30-May 1, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft in which oh thank god, and yet...

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 26-27, 1937)

Out Our Way (July 9-11, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (July 12-14, 1917; spoiler for stereotype gag.)

Dok's "Avian Ping-Pong" Duck (August 1, 1913)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (April 30-May 1, 1974)

Stop perpetuating this loving myth, Schulz! It wasn't all prayer of any kind that was banned; it was mandatory prayer led by your teacher or principal.

quote:

Funky Winkerbean

I don't understand why Batiuk thinks we would care about any of this. You found a CD player. Good job, I guess?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

That was a pretty solid Axa story. She found a nice town that wasn't full of evil mutants or weird old people trying to kill them, the guy she fell in love with wasn't a complete dickhead, she got to do stuff to save the day instead of just watching other people do it, and we even got Mark back. The whole thing with Galen turning into a villain trying to destroy Axa was weird but I'll take it.

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (November 26-27, 1937)

Hell yeah I am loving hyped to see Popeye clown on these dudes now that he's recovered.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

catlord posted:

This entire section has been wonderful, I love the walk on the ocean floor.

Me too.

But just in case anyone reading this doesn't know, if in real life you should find the ocean missing one day, don't go exploring the seabed like this! Get inland, get to higher ground, it's a goddamn tsunami and you do NOT want to be there when the ocean comes roaring back, go go go!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (May 1, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 2, 1918)

Banana Oil! (March 4, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 15, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 15, 1935)

Mopsy (January 15, 1937)

Dark Laughter (May 26, 1945)

Those Were the Days (January 22, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (August 5, 1965)

Wee Pals (August 5, 1965)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (May 26, 1945)

Points?

Also I swear TWTD did this gag already. But with different art.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Slammy posted:

Zereth posted:

Yup, posted a month ago, but looks more like a different scan than different art:

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (June 12, 1952)

Rerun? New distribution contract?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Based on the date it will refer to the Adjusted Service Rating Score, the system that the US used to prioritise demilitarisation after Germany's surrender, where soldiers were assigned points based on how long they'd served, how many medals they got, and how many dependents they needed to support at home which determined their priority for being transported home and discharged.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Zereth posted:

Points?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjusted_Service_Rating_Score

Basically as the war in Europe started to wind down the decision was made to start discharging American troops based on time in service, i.e. First In First Out.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I've been busy moving this week, so here's a catch-up chunk of comics. Popular Comics to follow.

Docks

Retail

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set feels its age.

Working Daze god who cares.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is dated in more ways than one.

Cul De Sac knows the clothes make the man.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Powered Descent posted:

Yup, posted a month ago, but looks more like a different scan than different art:

Rerun? New distribution contract?

Whoops! That’s on me, I probably pulled them from two different publications. I’ll switch papers if quality declines, and it wasn’t the type of strip that published the same strip in all papers on the same date.

Though “bought an ‘antique’ that grandma thought was trash” is a TWTD staple.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Slammy posted:

Whoops! That’s on me, I probably pulled them from two different publications. I’ll switch papers if quality declines, and it wasn’t the type of strip that published the same strip in all papers on the same date.

Though “bought an ‘antique’ that grandma thought was trash” is a TWTD staple.

We're all indebted to you for bringing these classic strips to us at all; we certainly wouldn't fault you for having an accidental repeat now and then among your sources.

On behalf of all of us, thank you for posting these strips. They're pieces of history that we never would have encountered otherwise.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Deeply regretting that time Slammy stopped posting and we didn't immediately start asking where's Slammy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I'm...fully lost here. At first I thought that the joke was that Funky was using wireless earbuds and had to string together transmitters to make it work. Then in the second strip, it's clear that his earbuds are wired.

I don't know. I shouldn't care about this. I need to go think about my life. Goodnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Presumably, the joke is that his newfangled headphones need a series of adaptors to connect with his "ancient" CD player. Not getting the joke is understandable, as both would be using a standard 1/8" jack.

It almost feels like the author repurposed a "they're taking the headphone jack off phones! " joke, but there is no way he would be smart enough for that.