Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

And on Monday they're doing something called Jackbox.

:jackbud:?

The Jackbox Collection is a spin off of the old trivia game You Don't Know Jack. It is a collection of various minigames that are popular because you only need one copy for multiple people because it is controlled through smartphones. There are all sorts of different style games like a fill in the blank rap battle or one where you design t-shirts. Its good for events like this because there is built in audience participation where they can vote on stuff but they don't get to do the creative part so a streamer doesn't have to worry about someone saying racist poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Powered Descent posted:

And on Monday they're doing something called Jackbox.

:jackbud:?

jackbox is a party game series that's pretty cool, from the people who made you don't know jack

they did some tech that lets people play the game without controllers by just going to a website and entering a four letter code, which turned out to make it also real popular for people streaming the game out on twitch + even more popular during the pandemic to play with your friends while you're all stuck at home

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Is the Gamera company more open minded than Godzillas

Doesn’t Shout Factory have the North American distribution rights to the Gamera films? It’d make sense that they’d let them use it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's some complex stuff with the Godzilla thing- the original film was a serious allegory about the devastation of the A-bomb and WWII in general, it's an active brand Toho still makes a lot of money from, and they've always been embarrassed by the campy reputation the series has in some countries thanks in part to the cheaper entries like vs. Megalon being so widely released.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm not sure how much this quote from Shinji Higuchi is representative of Japanese attitudes toward the 60's Gamera, but considering he did the FX for the heisei trilogy and co-directed Shin Godzilla, it is suggestive.

https://twitter.com/ykarps/status/1381471098546577410

(If it wasn't MST3k he was watching, I'm going to guess it was Short Attention Span Theater.)

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Gamera 1 wasn't nearly as serious as godzilla 1

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
From the start the Gamera movies were for kids, and they also made him a hero as quickly as possible (he's practically an anti-hero in the original.)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
They tried to do a properly "grown up" one with Gamera vs. Barugon, but it wasn't as successful so they went back to the kiddie stuff afterwards. Gamera vs. Gaos did a fair job of trying to find a balance, but everything after that...

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

i think Vs Gurion would have scarred me as a kid. godzilla rarely did amputation

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm watching that stream they did and Emily is indeed pretty cool.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Bootleg Trunks posted:

i think Vs Gurion would have scarred me as a kid. godzilla rarely did amputation

Yeah the Gamera films were weirdly gory (albeit with all the monsters "bleeding" in strange colors.) This is one thing the Godzilla series copied a bit in the 70s, though not to the same extent.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Hobgoblins live stream was a ton of fun, it was great seeing Joel and the live gang reacting to a classic episode and get some inside baseball things, like Joel, Nate and Conor speculating on how they made puppets as bad as the ones in Hobgoblins. And then come to the conclusion that they're probably not even puppets, but just plushies. And they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hugO9coWrw0

In case anyone missed it.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Is the Gamera company more open minded than Godzillas

Yes, but so was the Spanish Inquisition

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The Hobgoblins live stream was a ton of fun, it was great seeing Joel and the live gang reacting to a classic episode and get some inside baseball things, like Joel, Nate and Conor speculating on how they made puppets as bad as the ones in Hobgoblins. And then come to the conclusion that they're probably not even puppets, but just plushies. And they are.

Joel said he hasn't seen Quest of the Delta Knights, which they're doing on Friday's stream.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Do we know anything about Joel's personal life? Has he been married, had kids, etc.?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Pershing posted:

Do we know anything about Joel's personal life? Has he been married, had kids, etc.?

he made some robot friends

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

He has a wife and two kids.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What's likely his computer password?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Junkie Disease posted:

What's likely his computer password?

G1zm0n1c

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

fsif posted:

Admittedly a bit odd to me that Joel seems to have legit stopped watching his show after he left.
Considering it was a personal tragedy for him to have to leave the show and losing control of the MST3k license as well as the acrimonious stuff that happened with Mallon afterwards, it was probably easier to not watch it. I think the netflix run of episodes was a little hit&miss, but I'm looking forward to new episodes.

Dante fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 28, 2021

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I love how genuinely happy Joel is when he sees the Hobgoblin puppets for the first time. He's just delighted.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

He has a wife and two kids.

He married <Romani>? Explains Tom and Crow

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bobo's forbidden love for a chimpanzee named Emily was a fun coincidence.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dante posted:

Considering it was a personal tragedy for him to have to leave the show and losing control of the MST3k license as well as the acrimonious stuff that happened with Mallon afterwards, it was probably easier to not watch it. I think the netflix run of episodes was a little hit&miss, but I'm looking forward to new episodes.

Is there a good summary of this written up anywhere? Curious how this went down, given Mike and the next group of people did come from the show, right? Like Mike was one of the writers.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

The World Inferno posted:

Is there a good summary of this written up anywhere? Curious how this went down, given Mike and the next group of people did come from the show, right? Like Mike was one of the writers.

https://www.wired.com/2014/04/mst3k-oral-history/

This is the best single writeup on the history of the show I've ever seen. Everyone in it is pretty honest about how things went down. It predates the Netflix era but mentions Joel wanting to start it up again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

https://www.wired.com/2014/04/mst3k-oral-history/

This is the best single writeup on the history of the show I've ever seen. Everyone in it is pretty honest about how things went down. It predates the Netflix era but mentions Joel wanting to start it up again.

:hmmyes:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:lol:

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

But think of what we lost...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Someone please edit TraceCrow lines into a Jar-Jar clip

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone please do this.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm gonna guess the May 4th special guest and reveal is hamil is a bot

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

He should make the last KMTA episode that hasn't been released a goal for 5.5 million.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The word seems to be that they don’t have a copy of it either. Mallon clearly had a copy of it since he put clips from it online a decade or so ago, so who knows what happened. It took Joel/Shout over a year to find the first two episodes after the show was sold, suggesting the Best Brains tape library was not well labeled, so I still hold out hope they’ll find it some day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joel recently mentioned that he still doesn't have a copy of it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MST3K/status/1387779736156393489?s=20

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Man with just over a week to go I'm sad that the 12 episode season seems really unlikely.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

Man with just over a week to go I'm sad that the 12 episode season seems really unlikely.

Most Kickstarter projects seem to go heavy at the start and end, with the middle being really slow. The last campaign drew in $1M on the final day.

I think the fact they outpaced their original campaign so strongly on the very first day means the enthusiasm is there. It’s just going to take the end coming into view to spur a lot of contributors.

Even if it doesn’t lead to the full $5.5M, another six episodes are already in the bag and there’s still a really good chance they can get to nine and some more live events. Plus having the Gizmoplex established means it might be easier for them to do more without having to fundraise so much in the future.

I really want them to get what they want, but I’m not going to see it as a failure if they don’t make it all the way. We’re definitely getting more MST3K - it’s just a question of how much right now.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'll bet a lot of people are waiting for the last day telethon. Remember most Kickstarters get the majority of their pledges on the first and last days.

Untamed Youth is my favorite season 1 episode, right in the back half where they've hit a groove and are just firing on all cylinders along with Moon Zero Two, Robot Apocalypse, Women of the Prehistoric Planet and Black Scorpion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I'm doubling my pledge on the last day, good drama is fun.
We don't even have half the number of the last KS in terms of backers.
Get
The
Word
Out!