Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Besides what the others have already said, this new strip on Luann is annoying because it's once again focusing on Nice Guy Gunther. Who cares if Tiff and Bets had a big fight and how they'll resolve this, have you considered the feelings of the poor white guy instead? Team Evans doing this while clearly trying to write their POC character out of the strip is a really bad look.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't understand why Batiuk thinks we would care about any of this. You found a CD player. Good job, I guess?

Definitely feels like Batiuk's reading off a list of problems people face while in lockdown mode in a desperate attempt to remain relevant. Except this is supposed to be an AA meeting, so it just comes across as Funky going off on weird tangents without giving anyone else a turn to stand up and speak.

Twelve by Pies posted:

That was a pretty solid Axa story. She found a nice town that wasn't full of evil mutants or weird old people trying to kill them, the guy she fell in love with wasn't a complete dickhead, she got to do stuff to save the day instead of just watching other people do it, and we even got Mark back. The whole thing with Galen turning into a villain trying to destroy Axa was weird but I'll take it.

I might've complained about the previous storyline but Axa also got something to do there, so maybe the writer's been improving. It's also refreshing that she found a love interest that didn't drop his entire life to go adventuring with her, and he wasn't an awful dick to her either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (November 26-27, 1937)

Comic Strips 2021: I'm Seeing Things! I Must be Sober!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Maybe Funky's using airpods and he's using some adapters to make them wired

edit: oh you know what i'll just post

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse, artie seems cool

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

riderchop fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 29, 2021

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Uhh... Garf... Your zipper's down... :blush:

amigolupus posted:

Besides what the others have already said, this new strip on Luann is annoying because it's once again focusing on Nice Guy Gunther. Who cares if Tiff and Bets had a big fight and how they'll resolve this, have you considered the feelings of the poor white guy instead? Team Evans doing this while clearly trying to write their POC character out of the strip is a really bad look.

I've been a defender of Bets in the past and even I have to admit that she's being a total bitch in this storyline. But what's bugging me about this is how she's being made to be fully and 100% the guilty party in this breakup. Poor, poor Gunther. Such a nice boy. His only crime was being so sweet and trusting. :qq:

In my experience that doesn't really happen, you know? Barring major issues like outright abuse, addiction, cheating, stuff like that (that we have no evidence of here), you don't really get breakups where one person was in all ways at fault and the other was a pure innocent victim. Even like here where one person says "I love you" and the other freaks out about it, well, sometimes people just want different things out of a relationship, you know? It happens. So yeah, Bets is sucking big time right now. But Team Evans can't bear the thought we might think that Golden Gunther might suck a little bit, too. (God, I hope he doesn't get Tiff as a consolation prize.)

It's just a comic strip (and a bad one, at that), but we have examples of good comics in this thread where couples have arguments and even breakups that are nuanced and real and still funny and are sometimes even willing to admit that a main character can also be a flawed individual. We're reading one right now in DtWoF!

amigolupus posted:

I might've complained about the previous storyline but Axa also got something to do there, so maybe the writer's been improving. It's also refreshing that she found a love interest that didn't drop his entire life to go adventuring with her, and he wasn't an awful dick to her either.

I would think if you have an identical twin who likes to play wacky pranks it would be something you should warn your girlfriends about. That might just be me, though.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 29, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

amigolupus posted:

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty decent story, for the most part. Galen's heel turn was very sudden and strange, I will say, and yeah, Jorge probably should have mentioned his pranking brother. But yeah, Mark's back!

Edit: Dark Mode is very strange, I'll admit. I didn't realise how many smilies had transparent bits. But I kinda like the '80s computer terminal vibe it kinda has. Can they make it black and bright green?

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

JethroMcB posted:

I'm...fully lost here. At first I thought that the joke was that Funky was using wireless earbuds and had to string together transmitters to make it work. Then in the second strip, it's clear that his earbuds are wired.

I don't know. I shouldn't care about this. I need to go think about my life. Goodnight.

I doesn't make any sense. Thought first that he had multiple wires to get the player powered, but in the second comic wires are connected to the earbuds. It would make some sense if he would be using vintage headphones with 5 pin din jack, DIN -> RCA -> 6.35mm -> 3.5mm. :shrug:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Like I said yesterday, this scene doesn't happen in the book (although there's something similar later).

The book has a scene where Tessin meets the Queen, who is said to be really ambitious, but ultimately almost powerless (like her husband who is a figurehead king). She is upset, because she thinks that the prince has been in a fight and blames his teacher (Tessin) for that. The situation escalates and finally when Tessin is asked, if he will be loyal to the king, he says that he will, but the law will always be above the king. This leads to lots of name calling and Tessin vacating his governmental position.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (January 8-14, 2001)

Reminder that Vin is actually quite smart: he graduated high school two years ahead of schedule. (He's either sixteen or seventeen right now.)

Also! Consequences. Ralph is super lucky he was just fired, and Angelique didn't press charges.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/DirkBlocker/status/1387445918731890688

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Alright, I'm going to say it, I hate to admit it but I can't be silent about it anymore.

New Nancy is wearing really thin.

I like the goofy stuff like "Nancy is a vampire." That's great! But 99% of Nancy strips now are people having a conversation where one says "I think [thing] is good" and the last panel is the other person going "Actually I secretly think [thing] is bad!" or a character saying "I think people who do [thing] are bad *immediately does thing*." It's just kind of tiresome, and it being in this thread alongside Bushmiller Nancy just makes it really glaring how dull it is.

Mikl posted:

Also! Consequences. Ralph is super lucky he was just fired, and Angelique didn't press charges.

lol at Kevin trying to weasel his way out of the fact he told Ralph to commit a crime. That's pretty much the reason Holbrook didn't have Angelique press charges, because if she did Ralph would have ratted out Kevin, and we can't have our protagonist face consequences for his actions. That's only for the lesser characters.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 18, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 18, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 18, 1989)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mikl posted:

Reminder that Vin is actually quite smart: he graduated high school two years ahead of schedule. (He's either sixteen or seventeen right now.)

Yet he was dumb enough to post that pixie dust stuff earlier on. Holbrook isn't very good at consistency.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

How Wonderful! posted:

I think part of why I love DtWOF so much is because it feels so hyper-specific and timely but I also know each of these characters intimately in various permutations in my own world. I could name my Ginger, my Lois, and so on. Same as it ever was, etc.!

I mostly lurk these threads but I want to thank you for your annotations and commentary on DTWOF - I ended up marathonning the Essential collection (while baffled as to why over 100 strips weren't included!) and it was a rollercoaster of feelings, emotional and political. So it's nice to have your posts to help contextualise things further.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yet he was dumb enough to post that pixie dust stuff earlier on. Holbrook isn't very good at consistency.
... You mean after Lindesfarne hacked his stuff to make him look bad?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I know "Lindesfarne" is an actual name, but it's a super-obscure one and it feels so calculatedly twee in that "OC do not steal" sort of way and it just sets my teeth on edge.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Alright, I'm going to say it, I hate to admit it but I can't be silent about it anymore.

I like the goofy stuff like "Nancy is a vampire." That's great! But 99% of Nancy strips now are people having a conversation where one says "I think [thing] is good" and the last panel is the other person going "Actually I secretly think [thing] is bad!" or a character saying "I think people who do [thing] are bad *immediately does thing*." It's just kind of tiresome, and it being in this thread alongside Bushmiller Nancy just makes it really glaring how dull it is.

lol at Kevin trying to weasel his way out of the fact he told Ralph to commit a crime. That's pretty much the reason Holbrook didn't have Angelique press charges, because if she did Ralph would have ratted out Kevin, and we can't have our protagonist face consequences for his actions. That's only for the lesser characters.

New Nancy is good on the strips where it's actually making a visual gag, unfortunately those are getting increasingly rare. At this point I just skip if it the panel space looks like it's 50% dialogue.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/28/01

Brenda Starr 5/13-15/46

Smokey Stover 10/26/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Was anyone else still referring to it as "Japanese animé" (with the accent and all) in 2003?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's called Japanimation

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Honestly, it's one of those things where Nancy would be your favorite strip if you weren't a freak weirdo like us who read it every single day. When you only see those "thing good/thing bad" strips reposted or shared around, you think it's worth a chuckle or a #relatable, and then you're good to go. Seeing it all the time, you see the repetitive nature and then, yeah, skip it if you see :words:

On a similar note, I.... don't like Rae the Doe. I thought I did, back when I would just see a strip re-tweeted now and then but man it is tedious every day.

And WHILE I'M COMPLAINING, I'm happy to be rid of Jamesalllen, and I like Jules' weird art, but maaaaaaannnn Mark Trail has been really boring lately. Ans as others have pointed out, I'm not sure how we're supposed to think the Trails are in the right?

OKAY COMICS NOW

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Vargo posted:

Honestly, it's one of those things where Nancy would be your favorite strip if you weren't a freak weirdo like us who read it every single day. When you only see those "thing good/thing bad" strips reposted or shared around, you think it's worth a chuckle or a #relatable, and then you're good to go. Seeing it all the time, you see the repetitive nature and then, yeah, skip it if you see :words:

Like the people in the PYF comic thread who always say that Neo-Nancy is great, because it gets posted there once a month.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Selachian posted:

Was anyone else still referring to it as "Japanese animé" (with the accent and all) in 2003?

Hal Emmerich did it in 2005.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You get the big sander and just roll it against the belt, smooth it off with some fine grit at the end. Satisfying.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mikl posted:

Hal Emmerich did it in 2005.

So only confused Boomers (or older) and total dweebs, got it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "35 - Jucika has a Cold"

Expressions on the singer crack me up.

"Jucika on the Assembly Line"

"Meó: quality control department (Minőség Ellenőrző Osztály)"

Oh yes, he knows exactly what he was stamping. :cheeky:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (January 8-14, 2001)

I'm laughing at how Angelique's methods of buying the loyalty of her domesticated employees is framed as her being a Bad Person, yet Kevin doing the exact same thing to Ralph is framed as a creative solution and Ralph just needs to get over his hangups.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Looks like Spud might have found a favorite teacher.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Agreed. The weekday strips have fallen into an endless repetition of gags in the vein of "You can't worry about what people are thinking about you all the time"/(I'm worried what Sluggo thinks about me, now that I told him that!) What's worse is that everybody has the same (terribly verbose) voice. Jaimes gave Nancy and Sluggo all these new friends, and they're all totally interchangeable.

There's still gold there from time to time, I liked that recent Sunday strip where Fritzi changed her alarm clock noise to nature sounds, making the actual natural world unbearable in the process.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

A real Beavis & Butt-Head shop teacher. heh heh. huhhhh. heh heh heh oh yeah heh heh.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Zereth posted:

... You mean after Lindesfarne hacked his stuff to make him look bad?

Yeah that

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

As long as new Nancy continues to not be Gilchrist Nancy it will be Good

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

The Good Innvandrer

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 24, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Dec. 24, 1944)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Comet

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Just a head's up, I just got my second Moderna shot and will be traveling for house renovations next week, along with a ton of finals grading. I will try to stay on top of things and of course remember to pack my Bechdel stuff with me, but I might end up being asleep for 48 hours or getting trapped inside drywall or something for a little while, who knows.

Dykes to Watch Out For #140 (1992)
Spoiled for nudity:

Batman (11/20/1989)

Batman's finally here!

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think it's improved lately since it moved away from interminable plots like the basketball one. I enjoyed this self-referential joke about grudges. But then, I don't expect *any* strip to be funny ever day.

Vargo posted:

On a similar note, I.... don't like Rae the Doe. I thought I did, back when I would just see a strip re-tweeted now and then but man it is tedious every day.

And WHILE I'M COMPLAINING, I'm happy to be rid of Jamesalllen, and I like Jules' weird art, but maaaaaaannnn Mark Trail has been really boring lately. Ans as others have pointed out, I'm not sure how we're supposed to think the Trails are in the right?
Rae the Doe I also find hit-or-miss, and I'm fine with that.

I think the problem with Mark Trail is that nothing substantive has actually happened since (checks archive) February 20th when it's implied Happy Trail gave in and reversed his embezzlement of Jolly's farm. Since then it's been resolution, setup, and comic bits. I've rather enjoyed the absurdist stuff like the Herp Ranch, Bee Sharp, and now Violet but I did like it better when things were actually happening. It's not a case of nothing happening like Mary Worth's dog sequence, but 2 months of fluff and filler is too much.

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #140 (1992)
Spoiled for nudity:

After a long run of a fairly routine relationship story (other than the at-the-time very significant element of being a *lesbian* relationship) Bechdel ends with a decidedly non-standard denouement which captures the ambiguity of many same-sex breakups (although actual sex at the point of the breakup is pretty unusual IME.)

curtadams fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 29, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

A real Beavis & Butt-Head shop teacher. heh heh. huhhhh. heh heh heh oh yeah heh heh.

wood

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

How Wonderful! posted:

Just a head's up, I just got my second Moderna shot and will be traveling for house renovations next week, along with a ton of finals grading. I will try to stay on top of things and of course remember to pack my Bechdel stuff with me, but I might end up being asleep for 48 hours or getting trapped inside drywall or something for a little while, who knows.

Free piece of advise, don't try to fight it when the 2nd Moderna shot kicks it. Do what I did, knock back a shot of nyquil and sleep it off like a bad weekend.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (March 7, 1992)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!