Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

B-Rock452 posted:

I would never judge a parent for using a screen because let's face it everyone is just hanging on by a thread right now. Although I think I am cursed since it's really crappy out today and I am feeling pretty run down from working out/having a single beer last night with dinner and figured today would be a good movie day but neither child wanted that so I am currently lying on the floor while both kids are running around like banshees and the Magic School bus plays on the tv.

Yes. Yes. The struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Flavius Aetass posted:

your baby is super cute oxsnard

yeah she's adorable. And, all things considered, she's a really good baby too. Just much more easy going than the first 2

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

just now my 4 year old excitedly ran up to me and handed to me what appeared to be a small twig

"oh, what's this?" i asked her as i twirled it between my fingers

"it was in my butt"

:ohno:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my 4.5 yr old is at that stage where scatological humor is the pinnacle of jokes and everyone is called a variations of tooting or whatever, have had to tell her that calling people after farts and yelling at them to let them(from across the street) know their name is now tooting is not nice.

or tell dog owners to their face their dog's name is not correct and it's some made up poo poo she just said on the spot lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

U-DO Burger posted:

just now my 4 year old excitedly ran up to me and handed to me what appeared to be a small twig

"it was in my butt"

lmao owned

my kids do this but it's with random dried up cat turds they find. but it's like a game where they say "hey what's that? over there?"

and I go check it out and it's a turd the geriatric cat left behind and everyone (but me) laughs and laughs.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

U-DO Burger posted:

"it was in my butt"

hahah owned :nexus:

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Over the weekend my 3 year old told me she was going to the store and she would see me later. What I didn't realize is she took the keys to my work car that also has my office key fob on it and hid them somewhere. No idea where it is and the amount of paperwork I have to do to replace them is insane.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I lost my dad's wedding ring as a small boy. Classic.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

B-Rock452 posted:

Over the weekend my 3 year old told me she was going to the store and she would see me later. What I didn't realize is she took the keys to my work car that also has my office key fob on it and hid them somewhere. No idea where it is and the amount of paperwork I have to do to replace them is insane.

did you check the store? sounds like she may have left them there

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

fosborb posted:

did you check the store? sounds like she may have left them there

I tried to but she only said she was going to the "chip store" and I don't know where that is. I asked her to draw me a map and she made a fart noise and ran away.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

B-Rock452 posted:

I tried to but she only said she was going to the "chip store" and I don't know where that is. I asked her to draw me a map and she made a fart noise and ran away.

Show me the lie.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Who the hell thought up dependent care FSA accounts instead of just having the same things that you can use a dependent care FSA for be deductible on your taxes. As far as I can tell they exist solely to add a layer of complexity and make you risk wasting money. I'm already mad at them and I haven't even opened one yet.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh posted:

Who the hell thought up dependent care FSA accounts instead of just having the same things that you can use a dependent care FSA for be deductible on your taxes. As far as I can tell they exist solely to add a layer of complexity and make you risk wasting money. I'm already mad at them and I haven't even opened one yet.

liberals, dude

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
and lol that $5000 covers daycare for a year

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Yeah I just opened up one from work and I have no idea how to even access it and it's all just a giant pain

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

yeah dude I love being a loving accountant in my free time with mine and my spouses dependent FSA scanning invoices and poo poo using two different payment systems and keeping track of how much paid for what invoice

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my employer offers a FSA and always brags about how awesome the benefit is during our yearly benefits fair, but ive never bothered with any of that poo poo because they don't pay me enough for me to be able to afford diverting any portion of my paycheck lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
it's a lovely benefit, but fairly easy to take. spend more than $5000 a year on dependent care (this counts for old people care too)? send that to the account and you can pay for a chunk of your daycare with pretax dollars

you'll probably get a debit card. this can be a real pain but daycares are used to dealing with it at this point. if you auto debit, you will never have enough in your account to sustain it throughout the year. so you have to split the payments between your FSA and your normal account. you might have a little left over at the end of the year that you need to claim directly.

alternatively, you pay your daycare like normal and every once in awhile, you submit a receipt from your daycare to your FSA and they pay you directly. you can do that every cycle, or even only once a year if you can float it

it is a use it or lose it account, but what could possibly happen where you wouldn't need daycare for a year+?, I said as I was setting my 2020 contributions

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

Update, it took a week but I found my keys. I should have used three year old logic and checked the bottom of the diaper bag because that is where she put them. She does know we always take the diaper bag when we go out so I am proud of her logic but could have done without the four hours of paperwork I did prior.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The animals play
The animals play
The animals play all day

The animals play
The animals play
The animals play all day

:suicide:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
"It's not a cartoon, DAD. It's anime."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My kid's teacher has a migraine so he can't run a remote class today.

His solution was to email an impossibly long link to my personal email address to join a different teacher's Teams call. Tried a few times but couldn't get it working.

We just said it was an unseasonal snow day in May.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

U-DO Burger posted:

my employer offers a FSA and always brags about how awesome the benefit is during our yearly benefits fair, but ive never bothered with any of that poo poo because they don't pay me enough for me to be able to afford diverting any portion of my paycheck lol
gently caress this stupid benefit. A few years ago, thought it was worth the effort and used it. It was so annoying and complicated to get setup. Just frustrating as hell and oh wow cool we got daycare paid for uhh 2 months. Alright. Thanks for the stress and wasted free time. Anyways back to paying for daycare for the rest of the year. Just wasn't worth the effort.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This sleep regression is brutal

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Good soup! posted:

This sleep regression is brutal

My youngest kids last sleep regression was not great. And she still randomly wakes up and gives a cry but generally goes back to sleep but I am immediately awake and will just lay there for an hour waiting for another cry. It hasn't been great.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Is it the four month one

That one sucked

Or is it one of the hojillion teeth related ones, those suck too

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Don't forget the nap strikes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Organic Lube User posted:

Don't forget the nap strikes.

I'm going to hear "baba baba baba BABA BABA BABA BABAAAAAAA" in my dreams for a decade I suspect

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

zero sleep regressions in almost two years

after we got the kid onto a 730pm-630am schedule, it stuck

feels good

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I would murder another human for a 730 bedtime.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have a four year old who sometimes won't go to sleep until 11:00. sucks rear end

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I would murder another human for a 730 bedtime.

I wouldn’t have any time to feel human with a later bedtime

#blessed

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

the other day my buddy who has a two year old was asking me about my kids' bedtimes because he was having trouble getting him to sleep before 9 and I was like "oh sometimes we go to 11 o'clock. especially if I'm handling both kids solo".

and he said "so when do you have time to yourself?"

and I said "oh I don't. or I stay up until 3 am watching KITH and regret it."

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

we moved heaven and earth to make sure our kid’s sleep time was consistent, at 4.5 yrs it’s going well but there were hiccups of course like one day it was 10:30 and I shut the door to block light from the hallway and my kid screams”don’t lock me in!” I’m like oh poo poo you’re still awake 2.5 hrs later

being in Michigan it can be tough when it doesn’t get dark until like 10pm during the summer so had to move bed around.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

we were really good about 8:30 bedtimes with the first one and then it all fell apart when the second one moved into a big bed and they started sharing a room. pandemic lockdown just made it worse.

oh yeah and they both want to be cuddled to sleep but neither of them want dad. just mom. cool.

these days I feel successful if I'm out of there by 10.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

the stalling tactics of kids are remarkable, that combo of kid ingenuity, desperation, and hyper tiredness can make bed time an ordeal

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I also remember being yelled at to GO TO BED as a kid and then just sitting in the dark alone feeling abandoned and then falling asleep feeling sad and I don't want to do that to my kids.

most of the things I refuse to discipline my children over are things that I was disciplined over that I now realize don't matter at all.

like here, my house: "don't give a gently caress if you eat the food I made. I'm eating this soup it's delicious. you can wait ten minutes for chicken nuggets Dude, be patient."

and my house growing up: "eat that soup. you cannot leave the table until you eat the soup. see you in an hour."

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

sonatinas posted:

the stalling tactics of kids are remarkable, that combo of kid ingenuity, desperation, and hyper tiredness can make bed time an ordeal

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My kiddo has decided to quit her nap time routine so lately she's been deliriously tired by 8 and dead asleep by 9.

In short, sleep deprivation works. Don't do this, I wish she would nap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

sonatinas posted:

we moved heaven and earth to make sure our kid’s sleep time was consistent, at 4.5 yrs it’s going well but there were hiccups of course like one day it was 10:30 and I shut the door to block light from the hallway and my kid screams”don’t lock me in!” I’m like oh poo poo you’re still awake 2.5 hrs later

being in Michigan it can be tough when it doesn’t get dark until like 10pm during the summer so had to move bed around.
lol yeah being in the PNW the whole "its bedtime because the sun is down" backfired hard when summer hit

lately with my K aged kid, telling them to "pretend to go to sleep" gets them to close their eyes super hard and then within minutes they're passed out
lmao fuckin moron, get owned, time to play some BoTW until 2am and regret it in the morning