Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is it guaranteed that you’ll get eaten by Tanzer when you leave Koorong the first time as Riki? I’m annoyed since that limits who can use rune magic but it’s probably a guarantee just to gently caress with you.

How do I get dr nutsack I didn’t use him with Asellus but I am gonna use him now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is it guaranteed that you’ll get eaten by Tanzer when you leave Koorong the first time as Riki? I’m annoyed since that limits who can use rune magic but it’s probably a guarantee just to gently caress with you.

How do I get dr nutsack I didn’t use him with Asellus but I am gonna use him now.

It is. You also can't grab the rune when you're there, or go back for it later, so the rune gift is always out of play for that scenario.

You get Nusakan through normal progress, try Yorkland if you want to rush it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

It is. You also can't grab the rune when you're there, or go back for it later, so the rune gift is always out of play for that scenario.

You get Nusakan through normal progress, try Yorkland if you want to rush it.

Lol that’s dumb as poo poo but this is the weirdest scenario for sure.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Not entirely! You can recruit Mesarthim, and she comes with the gift for Rune magic automatically, presumably so that there will be at least one character in Riki's quest who can learn the higher level Rune spells.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

What are some of the noteworthy / standout martial arts besides DSC? Also gun and sword techs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What are some of the noteworthy / standout martial arts besides DSC? Also gun and sword techs.

Sky Twister, Triple Dragon, and Triangle Kick are really good martial arts. Locomotion G is a great mid-game one too.

Gun arts: Trick Shot, Total Shot, Bounding Shot

Sword arts: Spray of Life (best one), Tres Flores, Rosario Impale, Rising Nova, Floating Juggernaut, Twin Gales, Deflect

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Remember that you need 2 swords equipped to learn and use Twin Gale. Your 2nd sword can be whatever crap you have in your inventory, it only uses the damage of your stronger sword.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pneub posted:

Remember that you need 2 swords equipped to learn and use Twin Gale. Your 2nd sword can be whatever crap you have in your inventory, it only uses the damage of your stronger sword.

lol if you don’t have Gen with your strongest sword & strongest katana equipped

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Snake Maze posted:

The sparking guide in essence of saga says int helps with gun, magic, and mec program learning, but not sword/martial. I would assume it's the same for the remaster.

Yeah I was mistaking it as affecting swords like it does magic/guns. :(

Harrow posted:

Gun arts: Trick Shot, Total Shot, Bounding Shot

Cross shot is real strong and chains with itself too.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

lol if you don’t have Gen with your strongest sword & strongest katana equipped

Gen gets the Comet Blade as his katana and to give him anything else (except the twin dragon early on) is doing him a disservice. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 29, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dijNv5sGrwg

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
The one kindness of Virgil's mansion is that you can always peace out to heal between rooms.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What are the conditions for Gen to get the Comet Blade? I got it on my T260G run when I was using him a lot but not on another run where I had barely used him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What are the conditions for Gen to get the Comet Blade? I got it on my T260G run when I was using him a lot but not on another run where I had barely used him.

For me it was ticking over his WP to 70, easy to measure as I first found the room at 69 and got nothing, went and did a single random battle and got the stat up and the scene triggered

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ace Transmuter posted:

The one kindness of Virgil's mansion is that you can always peace out to heal between rooms.

...dammit I wasted my last sanctuary stone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh, turns out you can't take a shortcut to recruiting Time Lord on Asellus's playthrough using NG+. Virgil's coded not to let you recruit Time Lord until you could go back to Facinaturu--he reacts as if you can't get the Sand Vessel even if you have it in your inventory from a previous playthrough.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Speaking of Time Lord, where do I go to recruit him again? I'm currently redoing Emilia's scenario to get the good ending, and I didn't get him on my first run because I couldn't remember where to go to start his recruitment.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Go to Mosperiburg and ask Virgil about time magic.

I’m pretty sure you can recruit timelord before endgame with Asellus if you bought the sand vessel at the very start.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

I’m pretty sure you can recruit timelord before endgame with Asellus if you bought the sand vessel at the very start.

Ahh, that's where I messed up. I imported it from NG+ and apparently that doesn't count. Maybe the game checks whether you bought the Sand Vessel, not whether you have it in your inventory?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 29, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Harrow posted:

Huh, turns out you can't take a shortcut to recruiting Time Lord on Asellus's playthrough using NG+. Virgil's coded not to let you recruit Time Lord until you could go back to Facinaturu--he reacts as if you can't get the Sand Vessel even if you have it in your inventory from a previous playthrough.

Yeah, which sucks for T260G because he'll send them to Facinaturu but you can't spend mech LP there.

Harrow posted:

Ahh, that's where I messed up. I imported it from NG+ and apparently that doesn't count. Maybe the game checks whether you bought the Sand Vessel, not whether you have it in your inventory?

Correct, the game trequires the character to buy it not just have one in their inventory. I actually expected the game to take the vessel away in NG+ like it does the treasures for Sei's tomb and was surprised it didn't. Glad it didn't take away my 5 Phantasms. :black101:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well, poo poo.

I can't remember: are you able to come and go from Facinaturu at will at Asellus's endgame, or am I locked out of recruiting Time Lord for this playthrough?

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Harrow posted:

Well, poo poo.

I can't remember: are you able to come and go from Facinaturu at will at Asellus's endgame, or am I locked out of recruiting Time Lord for this playthrough?

You should be allowed to leave if you head back to the cave where you got dropped off.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Hi thread! I've picked up RS 2, RS 3, and SF on the Switch, and I'm bouncing off them a bit when I'm trying to get into them.

I really loved Final Fantasy Legend 2 on the Game Boy, I've probably beaten it a dozen times since I got it in the mid 90s. But for whatever reason, I can't find a character or scenario in any of the three games above that I can play for more than an hour.

I really want to get into this series, where should I start? I tried to do the robot guy last night in saga frontier, and got a game over screen at the battle arena. I was pretty salty and just went to bed after

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grevlek posted:

Hi thread! I've picked up RS 2, RS 3, and SF on the Switch, and I'm bouncing off them a bit when I'm trying to get into them.

I really loved Final Fantasy Legend 2 on the Game Boy, I've probably beaten it a dozen times since I got it in the mid 90s. But for whatever reason, I can't find a character or scenario in any of the three games above that I can play for more than an hour.

I really want to get into this series, where should I start? I tried to do the robot guy last night in saga frontier, and got a game over screen at the battle arena. I was pretty salty and just went to bed after

SaGa Frontier is about as good a starting place as you can get in the series--it's the game that got me into SaGa games way back on the PS1. For a first scenario, I'd recommend Red, Emilia, or maybe Blue if you're okay with something more open-ended. Red and Emilia both have fairly linear stories you can follow in between the free roam stuff. Meanwhile, Blue's scenario is very open-ended and free-roaming, but you have concrete goals right from the start, a strong starting character, and really convenient travel. T260G is a decent starting character, too, but mechs are extremely gear-dependent (that's where they get all of their stats, they don't level up) so it's easier to get into that scenario when you have a little experience and know where to get some good early gear.

That said, even when they're at their most beginner-friendly, SaGa games can be pretty impenetrable, so definitely don't hesitate to ask questions here. We've got a few SaGa veterans who would love nothing more than to help people get into the series, myself included :v:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 29, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Grevlek posted:

Go visit Taco after every time you win in the Arena and equip stuff because mech stats are directly boosted by their gear like in FFL2. With the arena reward gear you should get through the subsequent arena fights unless you have some really bad luck.

Red's scenario is pretty forgiving for a first time player because Alkaiser is really drat powerful (though you shouldn't need it outside of boss fights and shouldn't spam it in regular fights since you don't gain stats as Alkaiser) and you can recruit a medic mech on the Cygnus, first during the fight there and then permanently after that incident and before you leave the ship which lets you grab Engineer Car in Shrike, too. Though at that point you can also do the usual recruitment of characters, Rouge in particular is a good pickup.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh right, I forgot about getting gear from Taco :v: Yeah, if you have stuff to actually equip as T260G, you'll get through the arena no problem.

If you really like robots, stick with T260G's scenario, it's a really good one. Plus you get to put together a team of cool robo buddies and a drunk. You'll be reliant on getting good gear, but as long as you explore, you'll be fine, and T260G's exclusive dungeons give you some great stuff, too.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Harrow posted:

Oh right, I forgot about getting gear from Taco :v: Yeah, if you have stuff to actually equip as T260G, you'll get through the arena no problem.

If you really like robots, stick with T260G's scenario, it's a really good one. Plus you get to put together a team of cool robo buddies and a drunk. You'll be reliant on getting good gear, but as long as you explore, you'll be fine, and T260G's exclusive dungeons give you some great stuff, too.

Awesome, thanks for the help guys.

One of my favorite FFL2 parties is 4 robots, and I wasn't sure how to acquire the gear to upgrade T260g, so I think this gives me what I need to try again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Grevlek posted:

RS3 doesn't have that much difference between the main characters, unfortunately. It's still a very good/fun game imho!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

MonsieurChoc posted:

RS3 doesn't have that much difference between the main characters, unfortunately. It's still a very good/fun game imho!

In some ways, Romancing SaGa 3 is crunchier than SaGa Frontier; if only because of how many different types of weapons there are. It is also very, very fun, but is even harder than SaGa Frontier in terms of figuring out what you're supposed to be doing (and also I'd say the boss fights are more brutal).

Edit: Both Harid and Mikhael have additional content available to them (Harid an extra dungeon, Mikhael has the Ruling Game). Thomas has the business game but anyone can recruit him to get it started. Katarina is unique in that she is un-recruitable; if you don't play as her she's just there. I think everyone else is different, though Julian & Monica have extended prologues compared to the other three.

Ace Transmuter fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 29, 2021

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Grevlek posted:

SaGa Frontier like Harrow is a great starting place, as it has the least obscure mechanics of all the SaGa games that you chose.

RS3 is a wonderful game, but who you choose as a main character can make things more complicated. I would avoid Sarah as an initial choice, as she has some spoiler issues that can potentially really complicate things for you down the line. Despite having really obscure mechanics, Mikhail can be an excellent choice, as his ruling minigame allows him to make 2 copies of any forged equipment without requiring the necessary items for them which is incredibly powerful. Using that, you can get some of the best equipment way before you should have access to it. However, without really good knowledge of the minigame, you're likely going to get the bad ending for him.

I would say a good starter character for RS3 is Khalid, as his stats are incredibly good, he has some unique content, and he gets an initial sampling of Mikhail's war/ruling minigame to see if you're interested in it.

I love RS2, but it's very janky, and you can easily fail various scenarios. That doesn't mean you lose the game; however, it can prevent you from recruiting certain classes or gaining certain regions. I think it's an interesting take on the generational mechanics in that each emperor you have inherits all of the skill levels of your previous ones. I think a lot of people bounce off of it in that 98% of the characters in your party are essentially generics that represent certain classes. It's a very unique game though with the empire building mechanic (though it is basic), but it hits a certain spot that I love.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Harrow posted:

More importantly, if you decide "I want to break these fights over my knee" then T260G's scenario is the best for it because you can do some Takonomics and end up with a bunch of multislashing mechs with 700+hp and 99 def/resists. Running T260G as the 5th character in a NG+ run meant having multiple octopus boards, spriggan suits, hyperion bazookas, and kusanagi swords to pass around (among other things). Also a bunch of Phantasms, but Kusanagi stat boosts are better and the damage difference was small enough to just take the extra stats (and hp).

That said, if you're exploring you'll find plenty of gear to kit out a couple of mechs and the tactic of "get multislash on everyone" is a solid one. You *can* run a full team of mechs but the last mech you'd recruit is honestly kinda meh and I think having Gen in the party is better because Gen rules.

It's also good to have Gen in your party in Lute's story because when you get ready to attack Mondo's base, Gen realizes that his hidden base is the reason Trinity attacked Wakatu in the first place so leaving him out of that fight just feels wrong.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly I really like RS2 because of the generations mechanic. Like, a problem I have with SaGa games is there are frequently too many characters and I wanna try using all of them, and RS2 basically just stops you at certain points and goes "Alright, you're gonna have to make a new party now", and to me that goes a long way towards encouraging me to try out different units. And honestly the fact that they're all generic...really doesn't matter to me much? A lot of SaGa characters might have a unique sidequest here or there, but they tend to effectively become generic units once they join your party anyways.

RS3 definitely feels like a proto-SaGa Frontier, like they wanted to have every character have their own unique story but only did it halfway. The unique content that's there doesn't really inspire multiple playthroughs, imo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

More importantly, if you decide "I want to break these fights over my knee" then T260G's scenario is the best for it because you can do some Takonomics and end up with a bunch of multislashing mechs with 700+hp and 99 def/resists. Running T260G as the 5th character in a NG+ run meant having multiple octopus boards, spriggan suits, hyperion bazookas, and kusanagi swords to pass around (among other things). Also a bunch of Phantasms, but Kusanagi stat boosts are better and the damage difference was small enough to just take the extra stats (and hp).

A fun aspect of T260G's scenario is that it has one of the most dangerous final bosses specifically because having really high damage can't totally save you. If I'm interpreting how it works correctly from my own experiences fighting it, it has to go through a certain number of phases (and therefore a certain number of Carnage attacks) before dying, no matter how much damage you do. That means that, for reasons completely separate from raw numbers, it's one of the few bosses in the game that actually can stand up to a team of Multi-slashing robots putting out like 30k damage combos per round.

Evil Fluffy posted:

That said, if you're exploring you'll find plenty of gear to kit out a couple of mechs and the tactic of "get multislash on everyone" is a solid one. You *can* run a full team of mechs but the last mech you'd recruit is honestly kinda meh and I think having Gen in the party is better because Gen rules.

Yeah, my endgame party for T260G is always four mechs and Gen. I dunno, something about the main team being a bunch of robots and a drunk who has no idea what's going on but is good with a sword makes me happy. Plus, Gen can contribute to Multi-slash combos because Shadow Reversal combos with it, so you can still get a glorious five-character combo going.

Arzaac posted:

RS3 definitely feels like a proto-SaGa Frontier, like they wanted to have every character have their own unique story but only did it halfway. The unique content that's there doesn't really inspire multiple playthroughs, imo.

That sounds like RS1, too (or at least Minstrel Song). I read a thing recently that described those games' multiple-playthrough appeal as being more about taking different routes through the free roam/open world stuff, and from different starting points, than experiencing different stories. I haven't played RS3 myself, but that definitely describes how I approach Minstrel Song. Because of the way side quests work behind the scenes, I'm probably going to encounter a different set of available quests most of the time, so even if the main story is mostly the same for each character, I'm still having a different experience with each playthrough.

Different approach from SaGa Frontier, but I do also like it.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 29, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Listen, Gen said he was gonna look after T260G and that's what he's gonna do, plot be damned.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Arzaac posted:

Listen, Gen said he was gonna look after T260G and that's what he's gonna do, plot be damned.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Honestly I really like RS2 because of the generations mechanic. Like, a problem I have with SaGa games is there are frequently too many characters and I wanna try using all of them, and RS2 basically just stops you at certain points and goes "Alright, you're gonna have to make a new party now", and to me that goes a long way towards encouraging me to try out different units. And honestly the fact that they're all generic...really doesn't matter to me much? A lot of SaGa characters might have a unique sidequest here or there, but they tend to effectively become generic units once they join your party anyways.

The difference between RS2 and 3 sounds a bit like the difference between SaGa Frontier 1 and 2, just in reverse. SaGa Frontier obviously has a bunch of different characters with different stories, but SaGa Frontier 2 has a generations mechanic again, just with two parallel stories unfolding over those generations. It's kind of interesting how both styles of game show up in both the Romancing SaGa and SaGa Frontier sub-series.

I really should go back and play the FF Legends games again, too. I had one of them on Gameboy when I was a kid and I don't at all remember which one, but I had a lot of fun with it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Harrow posted:

A fun aspect of T260G's scenario is that it has one of the most dangerous final bosses specifically because having really high damage can't totally save you. If I'm interpreting how it works correctly from my own experiences fighting it, it has to go through a certain number of phases (and therefore a certain number of Carnage attacks) before dying, no matter how much damage you do. That means that, for reasons completely separate from raw numbers, it's one of the few bosses in the game that actually can stand up to a team of Multi-slashing robots putting out like 30k damage combos per round.

This is correct. In my recent playthrough I did something around 250-300k damage to their final boss. My 4x multislash+lifesprinkler 5-hit combos were dealing around 41-42k damage per turn when I wasn't healing. ZEKE ran out of energy (and had Maxwell Program equipped) at one point.

e:

Harrow posted:

Yeah, my endgame party for T260G is always four mechs and Gen. I dunno, something about the main team being a bunch of robots and a drunk who has no idea what's going on but is good with a sword makes me happy. Plus, Gen can contribute to Multi-slash combos because Shadow Reversal combos with it, so you can still get a glorious five-character combo going.

Lifesprinkler combos with it. :eng101:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 29, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Grevlek posted:

Awesome, thanks for the help guys.

One of my favorite FFL2 parties is 4 robots, and I wasn't sure how to acquire the gear to upgrade T260g, so I think this gives me what I need to try again.

By the way, you can buy a compilation of the gameboy games on the Switch too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I went with an all-robot team myself.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Y'all are making me want to run T260 next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mystics really suck at learning spells, huh

On the one hand it's not all that important. Mesarthim has Maelstrom and Asellus can do AoE sword attacks so it's not like anyone needs Gale Blast or anything like that. On the other hand it'd be neat to have someone able to cast Mirror Shade to cover for Shadow Servants.

I'm doing a Mystic Squad for Asellus's playthrough and so far nobody has learned a single gift spell. :eng99: