Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It gets even sadder:
https://mobile.twitter.com/cooperlund/status/1385600659291054088?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Pro tip, you don’t need to pay for a Trail Blazer pass at Silver Dollar City if it’s rainy..... but it will help you ride Time Traveler multiple times.

Tho not too many times cause omg it made me feel sick

Of the rides I’ve been on recently, Hagrids and Cheetah Hunt are the real top tiers. I clearly value theming over intensity

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 24, 2021

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/themeparkjosh/status/1386350992917151759?s=20

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The new Trader Sam's

https://twitter.com/ashleylcarter1/status/1386671376384278536?s=21

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Way too woke for my taste

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't mind that.

I don't know if this out of line but why not just re-invent the character rather than remove. He can be an indigenous person from the area the ride is supposed to take place. Put him in period and culturally appropriate clothing. Have him manning the front counter at that shop. That'd be fine, right?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Well, the first problem is, which culture? Jungle Cruise is nominally, what, 3 different rivers? Second, I think the problem is that trying to actually express any culture in the context of the Jungle Cruise means that it has to be silly and exaggerated. A more straight-laced depiction of Trader Sam wouldn't really mesh with the attraction where some lions help a zebra fall asleep. And if you're picking a culture and making it a little silly and exaggerated, you're right back where you started.

I think the current tribesmen were originally meant to be somewhat honest depictions of how we saw African cultures at the time (I'm not sure about the timing of when those AAs were added/what the original script looked like. I'm sure someone in the thread can chip in). The solution once that became socially unacceptable was to make fun of the depictions, because by tacitly admitting this isn't representative of anything, you can take some of the sting out. "This isn't Africa, it's absurd-Africa that only exists in the Jungle Cruise." But that doesn't really work either, obviously.

We also really don't need to see Sam, the same way we really don't need to see Dr. Falls (although I guess we might get a depiction of the good doctor if that SEA series materializes). He's just an absurdity that we hear referenced a lot.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 26, 2021

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Yeah I really prefer to never see what Sam looks like.

Also sidenote because I cannot stop thinking about Silver Dollar City.
Yeah Time Traveler and Outlaw Run are bananas. But the real jewels in that park at Fire in the Hole, Flooded Mine and to a lesser extent, Tom & Huck's River Blast.
I can ride a roller coaster anywhere, but where else can I ride a crazy dark ride where, 1. you learn the term "baldknobber" 2. you see them set fire to a town, and then 3. you look up what a baldknobber is and realize wow, this ride is SUPER specific... and definitely dated.
Tom & Huck's River Blast is a river battle ride, which I have never seen before. Maybe it exists at other parks. But what a great idea for a ride. You shoot water canons at spectators and they can shoot back. I was there on a cold day, but it must be SUCH a blast in the summer time.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I like Sam being this man of mystery who is never seen but always trying to make a buck off tourists, be it at the Jungle Cruise or at the bars he runs.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
On his world the S stands for hope

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The Magic Mobile feature is now available on Android, so all 5 of us regular WearOS users can rejoice now

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I like Sam being this man of mystery who is never seen but always trying to make a buck off tourists, be it at the Jungle Cruise or at the bars he runs.

This is an excellent point and it honestly makes more sense for the character to own a tiki bar this way.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

couldcareless posted:

The Magic Mobile feature is now available on Android, so all 5 of us regular WearOS users can rejoice now

Nice!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

BlueBayou posted:

Also sidenote because I cannot stop thinking about Silver Dollar City.
Yeah Time Traveler and Outlaw Run are bananas. But the real jewels in that park at Fire in the Hole, Flooded Mine and to a lesser extent, Tom & Huck's River Blast.
I can ride a roller coaster anywhere, but where else can I ride a crazy dark ride where, 1. you learn the term "baldknobber" 2. you see them set fire to a town, and then 3. you look up what a baldknobber is and realize wow, this ride is SUPER specific... and definitely dated.
Tom & Huck's River Blast is a river battle ride, which I have never seen before. Maybe it exists at other parks. But what a great idea for a ride. You shoot water canons at spectators and they can shoot back. I was there on a cold day, but it must be SUCH a blast in the summer time.

:hfive:

lol yeah I should have also given a strong recommendation to Fire in the Hole (which sometimes gets a weirdly long line owing to short height requirement and low capacity). It's quite the thing. Glad you had fun, though!

River Blast isn't a one off - Mack makes those and a smaller footprint version that's basically teacups except the teacups have water guns - but those rides are absurd. They sort of look like a way to get a little cooled off in the summer, but the guns put out a fuckton of water. You get, like, shoot the chutes level drenched.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Can we just get a ride photo on Jungle cruise and can it have an animal trying to eat me as I smile at the backside of water.

Also I’m incredible happy for Sam to disappear and just be a name - along with a couple other needed scenes. I’ve loved that ride so much but have realized it’s also made me feel uncomfortable- and if this little white hillbilly gal feels that way, then many others have for a lot longer. Happy to make it more inclusive with new jokes for all.

Also back in the magic as of Friday morning - happy to be back again.

Anyone else rolling down for the 50th? Braks and Silly Burrito?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I think I'm heading down for the 50th. Haven't been to Universal since 2014 so might do a few nights at Cabana Bay and then do like a week or so at Disney.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Anya posted:

Can we just get a ride photo on Jungle cruise and can it have an animal trying to eat me as I smile at the backside of water.

Also I’m incredible happy for Sam to disappear and just be a name - along with a couple other needed scenes. I’ve loved that ride so much but have realized it’s also made me feel uncomfortable- and if this little white hillbilly gal feels that way, then many others have for a lot longer. Happy to make it more inclusive with new jokes for all.

Also back in the magic as of Friday morning - happy to be back again.

We'll be at Universal in a couple of weeks, but not Disney this time. Braks just came back from there so I'm good. :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Anya posted:

If covid has hosed off, my reservations have been blacked for months now. MK and all on the 1st. 2+ service dog.

And if not, someone will be very happy with their last-minute MK grab. I won't die for a stupid loving theme park and I won't risk others, either.

But drat I hope it's better because I wanna go :smith:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Anya posted:

I mean, I would LIKE to be. But yeah, like SB said, we're headed to Universal in 2 weeks for the FAM and then any other trips to Orlando will be on a wait and see basis.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

We have reservations booked for October as long as covid is on the upswing. Personally, I would rather avoid it, but my wife has been without Disney since January of last year, we go every year usually, it's her thing, and we haven't had any other vacations at all. I've been working 60+ hrs a week since covid started so I need a break too. We've been ultra careful the whole time, never done anything risky, and we've been vaccinated. Really hoping things are looking better by then.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Just barely gonna miss you guys. My very young brother in law wants to spend his 18th birthday (9/11) in Disney, and his mom wants to take us and set us up in a resort so we’re going in September.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I booked my trip for the 50th pretty much the day I was able to (thanks Braks!)

So yeah, I'll be there. MK on the 1st. Going with two friends who havent been on Rise (one of whom is a HUGE star wars fan) so we are going to try to get that as well. And fingers crossed for Ratatouille, but not holding my breath.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

will President Biden be in Hall of Presidents by the 50th? :unsmith:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

will President Biden be in Hall of Presidents by the 50th? :unsmith:

it depends on if he records his speech or not.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'll be there first week of November. It's a huge family trip, like 12 other people? Not staying on property, which sucks, but I can't complain about a free room for a week.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
USH

https://twitter.com/Tim_Tweeted/status/1387243709901774855

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That's Hollywood, and that appears to be an actual cop. Security guards can not do that.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f72QuBIiI4g

Whooooooa.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

the cheerful music while a citizen is attacked by a cop is the most truly American thing.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
New Disney cruise ship, the Disney Wish, was revealed officially today: https://youtu.be/ZpXJJQe1HQo

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That jurrasic park queue is great

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I've never been more excited by lockers than now.

Meanwhile Disney has moved one mote of dirt across the Tron construction site.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure why people don't get this, but Disney builds slow because they have no reason to build fast. It's cheaper and it allows them to space out their openings to continually have something to market. They had a steady flow of new openings every year (2020 threw that off of course) while working on all of them simultaneously vs. Universal building essentially one at a time. At the end of the day, Disney can build nothing for years and will still draw more guests than Universal will by opening a new attraction every year.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't the opening of Harry Potter forbidden prove that not true?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Empress Brosephine posted:

It ate into their bottom line, but Magic Kingdom alone still sees more guests annually than both Universal parks.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

Disney consistently still draws way more guests each year. Unless that’s not the point you’re making?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Industry estimates have USF and IOA at #6 and #7 in North America attendance in 2019. After all 4 WDW parks and Disneyland.

https://www.teaconnect.org/images/files/TEA_200716114909_367224_585154.pdf

Worldwide they are 11 and 12. The Japan parks for both brands have better attendance than everyone except MK and Disneyland.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Disney attendance grew when HP opened because it brought them a lot of cross traffic too on top of natural growth. Universal gets like 12% of the attendance that WDW does annually.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
While the Velocicoaster queue is great, I also gotta say that the ride itself really ruins one of my favorite things about IOA which was seeing the JP visitors center across the water looking like it just popped out of the movie.

One of those things I always wanted to see in person, but I guess generational churn caught up with it before I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Braksgirl posted:

I mean, I would LIKE to be. But yeah, like SB said, we're headed to Universal in 2 weeks for the FAM and then any other trips to Orlando will be on a wait and see basis.

Nice! I would have done that one except I’ve got this weekend, and June as wdw, then Mexico in july (flights are bought and it’s basically my mini fam I guess lol), then 50th. Hoping to hit UOR post thanksgiving so I can finally have hot Butterbeer and kiddo can grinch it up (he’s obsessed).