Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
A friend of a friend works plain clothes loss prevention part time at Canadian tire, which is not usually a profession I respect, but he got to tackle and arrest an anti-masker the other day and it sounds like it was a very fun experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

There are so many loving idiots in kelowna it's depressing, just lovely mouth breathing anti maskers and anti vaxxers harassing workers. I had an anti masker/vaxxer recently, which I didn't know at the time till they started spouting off but they were telling me that weed cures cancer, and they were serious, this is a dude my age with 3 kids and a decent education, where do these people get this poo poo

Lead in the water?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

A friend of a friend works plain clothes loss prevention part time at Canadian tire, which is not usually a profession I respect, but he got to tackle and arrest an anti-masker the other day and it sounds like it was a very fun experience.

I worked at MEC for a summer (bullshit job, they almost only hire temp workers and don't give pro deals to staff anymore unless you are not a temp worker, which nobody is, also gently caress MEC they owe me $5) and a plainclothes loss prevention guy would always point at who he was following around the store and give me a nod and a thumbs up for some reason

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I got to watch a kayak girl kill a mouse with her shoe and listened to Boner City USA in my headphones while stocking shelves though, so who is to say whether or not the MEC job was good

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Do it ironically posted:

There are so many loving idiots in kelowna it's depressing, just lovely mouth breathing anti maskers and anti vaxxers harassing workers. I had an anti masker/vaxxer recently, which I didn't know at the time till they started spouting off but they were telling me that weed cures cancer, and they were serious, this is a dude my age with 3 kids and a decent education, where do these people get this poo poo

They all have brain damage from the tanning and extreme sports. Speaking as someone that is both from Kelowna and is brain damaged. Get out before it happens to you!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Its facebook reality bubbles. Content is served to reinforce their views to keep them on. Someone gets em hooked and it goes from there.

Destroy Mark Zuckerberg and all that he has created basically.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

For those more knowledgeable than I about the vaccines, was the issue with rare bloodclots in the astrazenica recipients strictly women who suffered that side effect, or was it both men and women? My wife is hesitant to get the AZ vaccine but I'm wanting to get the shot asap and just wanted to know if that was something we should watch out for once it becomes available and I get the jab.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Randalor posted:

For those more knowledgeable than I about the vaccines, was the issue with rare bloodclots in the astrazenica recipients strictly women who suffered that side effect, or was it both men and women? My wife is hesitant to get the AZ vaccine but I'm wanting to get the shot asap and just wanted to know if that was something we should watch out for once it becomes available and I get the jab.

Women are more likely to get it, but it can also happen to men. It doesn't seem to be related to the birth control pill.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rutibex posted:

i dont understand why people want to eat out during a plague. you can get the same poo poo they serve you in a restaurant in the frozen food section of the supermarket. just put it in the oven, thats what the restaurant is doing

but i also need the valuable experience of receiving food personally from someone who probably pissed on it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Randalor posted:

Page 13 of this UK report:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ng_21.04.21.pdf

quote:

Up to 21 April 2021, the MHRA had received Yellow Card reports of 209 cases of major thromboembolic events (blood clots) with concurrent thrombocytopenia (low platelet counts) in the UK following vaccination with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca. These events occurred in 120 women and 89 men aged from 18 to 93 years and the overall case fatality rate was 19% with 41 deaths. Four cases have been reported after a second dose. Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis was reported in 84 cases (average age 47 years) and 123 had other major thromboembolic events (average age 55 years) with concurrent thrombocytopenia. Diagnosis was unclear in the remaining two cases. The estimated number of first doses of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca administered in the UK by 21 April was 22 million giving an overall case incidence of 9.3 per million doses. The data suggest there is a higher incidence reported in the younger adult age groups and the MHRA advises that this evolving evidence should be taken into account when considering the use of the vaccine. These reports have also been analysed by the Government’s independent advisory body, the COVID-19 Vaccines Benefit Risk Expert Working Group, which includes lay representatives and advice from leading haematologists.

On the basis of this ongoing review, the advice remains that the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks in the majority of people.

The UK has administered 22 million doses of AZ and recorded 209 cases of blood clots, or less than 1 in 100,000 shots. Of those 1 in 100,000 people (which included both men and women, though more women than men), 1 in 5 died, giving the vaccine a CFR of 1 in 500,000.

If you're in your 30s, you have probably between a 0.1 and 0.3% chance of dying if you contract Covid, and that's not including the risk of permanent organ damage, long Covid, etc. So, on average, 1 in 1000 to 3 in 1000 people in their 30s who get Covid will die from it. That's one way to put the risk of a half-a-million-to-one chance of death from the AZ vaccine into context. If you're older than your 30s, the numbers just get worse and the math in favour of the AZ vaccine gets better.

From page 6 of that PDF:

quote:

The MHRA recently confirmed that the evidence to date does not suggest that the COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca causes venous thromboembolism without a low platelet count. Anyone who experiences any of the following from around 4 days after vaccination you should seek medical advice urgently:
• a severe headache that is not relieved with simple painkillers or is getting worse or feels worse when you lie down or bend over
• an unusual headache that may be accompanied by blurred vision, confusion, difficulty with speech, weakness, drowsiness or seizures (fits)
• rash that looks like small bruises or bleeding under the skin beyond the injection site
• shortness of breath, chest pain, leg swelling or persistent abdominal (tummy) pain.

Keep an eye out for those symptoms and see a doctor immediately if either of you feel them, but that is an extremely remote possibility and the risks of Covid far outweigh the risks of vaccination even in most young people, especially given that Canada is handling Covid badly and infections are spreading through younger populations now.

The one instance where I would tell you to hold off is if you have already medically established that one of you has a low blood platelet count, but that seems unlikely.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Page 13 of this UK report:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ng_21.04.21.pdf

The UK has administered 22 million doses of AZ and recorded 209 cases of blood clots, or less than 1 in 100,000 shots. Of those 1 in 100,000 people (which included both men and women, though more women than men), 1 in 5 died, giving the vaccine a CFR of 1 in 500,000.

If you're in your 30s, you have probably between a 0.1 and 0.3% chance of dying if you contract Covid, and that's not including the risk of permanent organ damage, long Covid, etc. So, on average, 1 in 1000 to 3 in 1000 people in their 30s who get Covid will die from it. That's one way to put the risk of a half-a-million-to-one chance of death from the AZ vaccine into context. If you're older than your 30s, the numbers just get worse and the math in favour of the AZ vaccine gets better.

From page 6 of that PDF:

Keep an eye out for those symptoms and see a doctor immediately if either of you feel them, but that is an extremely remote possibility and the risks of Covid far outweigh the risks of vaccination even in most young people, especially given that Canada is handling Covid badly and infections are spreading through younger populations now.

The one instance where I would tell you to hold off is if you have already medically established that one of you has a low blood platelet count, but that seems unlikely.

This is great info. Important to consider that your risk of negative outcomes from covid is dependent on your risk of contracting covid. If you live in a place with relative few cases, your covid math might change. I highly recommend this thread from a doctor in Hamilton who specializes in clots and is very invested in helping people make the right decision for them.

https://twitter.com/MPaiMD/status/1385741537221480449?s=20

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Goosed it. posted:

This is great info. Important to consider that your risk of negative outcomes from covid is dependent on your risk of contracting covid. If you live in a place with relative few cases, your covid math might change. I highly recommend this thread from a doctor in Hamilton who specializes in clots and is very invested in helping people make the right decision for them.

https://twitter.com/MPaiMD/status/1385741537221480449?s=20

Watch out, I got called a Russian disinformation agent and Covid Truther for saying that a few days ago!

(Thanks for being the one person to actually respond to my variant prevalence question in the other thread.)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Its fun because birth control pills are what, 1000x more likely to cause clotting issues? But there's no panic about them.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Its fun because birth control pills are what, 1000x more likely to cause clotting issues? But there's no panic about them.

The risk of dying from birth control pill caused blood clots is about 1 in 200,000. Prevalence around 50 in 100k, so overall they get treated very successfully.

The twitter thread above states that initially roughly 40% of the 1 in 50-100k with AZ clots were dying, now down to approx. 20% because people are monitoring much more closely.

So AZ risk of fatal complications was greater than birth control pills but is now roughly comparable. Both exceedingly unlikely, the main hesitancy argument boiled down to "but if you can get the 'better' mRNA shot soon anyway..."

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i don't know why all of you are bringing birth control pills into the discussion. no one would gently caress you birth control or not

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I aint wearin no gunny sack!! :mad:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

bedpan posted:

i don't know why all of you are bringing birth control pills into the discussion. no one would gently caress you birth control or not

Actually women find sassafrasses pedantic insistence on using dubiously sourced facts to always win arguments irresistible.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Sassafras posted:

The risk of dying from birth control pill caused blood clots is about 1 in 200,000. Prevalence around 50 in 100k, so overall they get treated very successfully.

The twitter thread above states that initially roughly 40% of the 1 in 50-100k with AZ clots were dying, now down to approx. 20% because people are monitoring much more closely.

So AZ risk of fatal complications was greater than birth control pills but is now roughly comparable. Both exceedingly unlikely, the main hesitancy argument boiled down to "but if you can get the 'better' mRNA shot soon anyway..."

Ahh, I hadn't heard that the numbers went down, but I guess that makes sense. Now that people are aware of the complications, its easier to watch out for them.

bedpan posted:

i know you're probably joking, but a lot of people go on birth control for reasons other than fuckin'

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Lead in the water?

There are parts of Montreal worse than Flint in regards to lead in the water lol.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Misandry at work

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I thought the issue was that it caused a different kind of clot that was a lot harder to treat?

No, I have no proof other than, "I heard it somewhere." why do you ask?

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

odiv posted:

I thought the issue was that it caused a different kind of clot that was a lot harder to treat?

No, I have no proof other than, "I heard it somewhere." why do you ask?

Yeah. Not all clots are the same. The kind that Az causes is quite rare and much more likely to be fatal than the type of clot caused by birth control.

And the birth control pill is not a great analogy. Yes people take it. And yes the risk burden is way to high for what it is. We don't really care very much about women's health in this country. Pointing to other ways women take on a disproportionate burden in our society isn't exactly the pro-vaccine argument people think it is.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I heard that Rob Ford died of something called bumba clots (!)

Sounds really dangerous many are saying so

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/StephenPunwasi/status/1387585454036422656

:canada:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

this organization murders the elderly to make money, but some of that money goes to public workers' pensions, so, it;s impossible to say if it's bad or not,

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I aint wearin no gunny sack!! :mad:

Oh my god. That's like the worst answer ever.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

fisting by many posted:

this organization murders the elderly to make money, but some of that money goes to public workers' pensions, so, it;s impossible to say if it's bad or not,

they're gonna die soon anyway

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I am so glad I’ve been sick with COVID during this bullshit. Too sick or too high to care! Easy fix, just go to your local business.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Juul-Whip posted:

no, you thought that, because you let yourself get spun by headlines

Juul-whip me baby right now like autism dna right round

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Anybody 30+ can get the AZ vaccine in BC now, if you can find a pharmacy that still has supply.

London Drugs in North Vancouver has a bunch of opening still.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 15:11 on Apr 30, 2021

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

John Horgan didn't get my my loving vaccine even, London Drugs did. You piece of poo poo John, gently caress you!!!!!!!!!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Anybody 30+ can get the AZ vaccine in BC now, if you can find a pharmacy that still has supply. I'm trying places in North Vancouver

Supply is pretty constrained, and you may end up getting your poke faster through the provincial system (but try your luck anyways). I've been heartened by the popularity of the pharmacy programs! Guildford in Surrey and shoppers in NVan had a bunch available this week.

We don't be getting more AZ For a while but the province is getting a shitload of pfizer all through may, with moderna coming in mid-may!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Supply is pretty constrained, and you may end up getting your poke faster through the provincial system (but try your luck anyways). I've been heartened by the popularity of the pharmacy programs! Guildford in Surrey and shoppers in NVan had a bunch available this week.

We don't be getting more AZ For a while but the province is getting a shitload of pfizer all through may, with moderna coming in mid-may!

I've heard from a random person who I don't trust at all on the internet that a lot of people who get AZ for their first dose will end up getting Pfizer for their second dose, but idk. Either way, I'm getting jabbed first thing Monday morning and I'm really happy about it.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I've heard from a random person who I don't trust at all on the internet that a lot of people who get AZ for their first dose will end up getting Pfizer for their second dose, but idk. Either way, I'm getting jabbed first thing Monday morning and I'm really happy about it.

Hell yeah my dude happy for you

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I totally believe this is what's going to happen, but I hope you're not taking my word for it or whatever lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

spotted in RFD Costco thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i feel like that NYT quote may be somewhat dated

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
gently caress thats a great deal for notebooks

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I know life coaches are always people who make bad life decisions, but it's so loving funny that the dude went into a coma after his drug abuse and all-meat diet gave him organ failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
intentional coma induced by russian quacks