Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Darby vs 10 6 5.08%
Penelope vs Kris 2 1.69%
Hangman vs Brian 11 9.32%
Orange vs Penta 89 75.42%
Sydals vs Bucks 10 8.47%
Total: 118 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I bet All Ego gets you a PS5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

but then keeps it for himself

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I'm going to be a dissenting voice and say I didn't like that Dynamite and thought it was a lot worse than most of the other ones I've watched this year.

Cage/Hangman, Cassidy/Penta, and Ford/Stanlander were great. Miro was great. Everything else just felt either like filling time or actively bad. The OG Nightmare Family still does nothing for me outside of Dustin hero spots, Cody's character continues to be super dumb even (especially?) in cool ambushes. The random bus stuff in general didn't make sense and was dumb and felt randomly thrown together at the last minute. The Cody segment and all the Elite/Mox & Eddie segments felt really disjointed and obviously taped out of order.
The TNA title match was the worst of Darby's recent matches, I really want to like 10 but he's just not a good wrestler (yet? hopefully he'll get better?) and also isn't believably big enough to be a slow monster or even a Brody-style heavy. Silver is more of a powerful hoss than him (which isn't really a fair comparison, he's the most powerful) and even Colt can look more physically intimidating. Having a guy back off every time he worked Darby into a corner initially makes sense with how wily a wrestler Darby is, but it doesn't feel like a TV main event after the last four weeks of Darby matches. I guess the way 10 carries himself plays into his current character of uncertain guy trying to live up to an impossible legacy, but dude really needs to work on his physical presence and confidence.
Ethan Page just looked like a fratty dude in his polo and I had to wait for the announcers to tell me who he was when he interfered. The Parlay segment ended strong but started pretty weak, Jericho and MJF are obviously great (as are P&P, and bald FTR is a surprisingly good talker) but it didn't seem to add anything to the match or build. I like the Bucks' heel work but the match really felt like a way to pass the time, I never bought them as threatened, and having SCU come out and challenge them as #1 contenders is super weird when they immediately follow that up with the announcement of a 4-way match for contendership.

Like, I don't regret watching or anything but it felt pretty superfluous in a way the show hasn't felt since the Bucks finally turned heel.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sega 32X posted:

having SCU come out and challenge them as #1 contenders is super weird when they immediately follow that up with the announcement of a 4-way match for contendership.

The what now?

E: Apparently missed the announcement. Still don't think it's very weird as SCU are obviously winning so it mostly seems like a way to stall for time, which isn't ideal, but it is what it is.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 29, 2021

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I guess I missed something is there a reason he's MT Nakazawa instead of Michael Nakazawa now?

I definitely thought Mox and Eddie were going to ask for a Mox and Eddie vs Kenny and Callis match

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sega 32X posted:

I'm going to be a dissenting voice and say I didn't like that Dynamite and thought it was a lot worse than most of the other ones I've watched this year.

I thought it was pretty weak for sure. The Jericho promo was fine and Miro beating Kip for 2 minutes was good but other than that, nothing really struck me as great.
I haaaate the QT Marshall/ Cody stuff, I don't know what it is but it just does nothing for me.

Also... no belts in the limo! AGH!!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

projecthalaxy posted:

I guess I missed something is there a reason he's MT Nakazawa instead of Michael Nakazawa now?

He basically stole QT's former gimmick once QT stopped being nice middle manager guy. He even comes out with an apple.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

StarkRavingMad posted:

He basically stole QT's former gimmick once QT stopped being nice middle manager guy. He even comes out with an apple.

Yeah, an apple MacBook!!! :shepface:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Kenny somehow gets his hands on the 24/7 title by accident.

At the very least he can get his hands on Chuck Taylor's dadaist 24/7 title. Then AEW can sign Super Thunderfrog and he can finally afford to buy Jesus.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm of two minds about the Parlay. On one hand the conflict feels a bit contrived since FTR and Spears don't have any real history with the Inner Circle, and the Inner Circle's whole face turn is falling flat for me. But that kind of justifies the Parlay because Spears, FTR, Santana, and Sammy all did a good job selling hostility and animosity even without the personal history and just as people all itching for a fight and something to prove. Then there's like Jericho, who obviously some people just love so by all means keep running him out there to cut his weird promos... but for me it kind of caused the segment to drag on and end on a familiar, not super interesting note. Its a Jericho angle, its gonna have long contrived promo segments. The good work I think the other guys did felt like it got left behind a bit, but it still added solid enough justification to build their roles in the match beyond just lackies.

It was both funny and odd that Kingston followed that segment with "enough of this sports entertainment" and then had a sports entertainment segment. It was a show very heavy on "sports entertainment", which I think largely worked but also feels a bit different from the usual match driven "best Dynamite ever" candidates.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I thought it was pretty weak for sure. The Jericho promo was fine and Miro beating Kip for 2 minutes was good but other than that, nothing really struck me as great.
I haaaate the QT Marshall/ Cody stuff, I don't know what it is but it just does nothing for me.

Also... no belts in the limo! AGH!!

If this was taped (I think it was?) Kenny might not have won the other belts yet when it was recorded.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Please get Mox away from Kenny.

Everything else was great.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

how are segments of people talking "sports entertainment" WWE didn't invent the concept of people cutting promos what the gently caress are you people talking about

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Alaois posted:

how are segments of people talking "sports entertainment" WWE didn't invent the concept of people cutting promos what the gently caress are you people talking about

Your fight (because for some reason there always has to be a fight in the AEW thread) would seem to be with Eddie Kingston flat out calling it that, no?

I don't think "sports entertainment" is a bad word, or something WWE invented. I like promos and storylines and sometimes skits in good measure. And I think that show flowed pretty well for me even if it had a different vibe and pacing than I'm used to with Dynamite. But I can see why the balance would feel off for some people depending on their taste.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

blunt posted:

Please get Mox away from Kenny.
I audibly groaned when they announced the match. I really liked Mox before this feud went into this space and now I'm just really, really sick of him. Boring AF.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm of two minds about the Parlay. On one hand the conflict feels a bit contrived since FTR and Spears don't have any real history with the Inner Circle
Which is really weird since, like, Spears vs Sammy and FTR vs P&P are money sub-feuds I am far, far more interested in as a build. But then you remember the point of the whole thing and I just shrug.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Your fight (because for some reason there always has to be a fight in the AEW thread) would seem to be with Eddie Kingston flat out calling it that, no?

I don't think "sports entertainment" is a bad word, or something WWE invented. I like promos and storylines and sometimes skits in their proper degree. And I think that show flowed pretty well for me even if it had a different vibe and pacing than I'm used to with Dynamite. But I can see why the balance would feel off for some people depending on their taste.

eddie was calling the Michael Nakazawa setup "sports entertainment poo poo" because Michael Nakazawa is a DDT wrestler and DDT started as a parody of WWF style Sports Entertainment in the late 90s

and the WWE absolutely invented the term sports entertainment for tax reasons what the gently caress are you on about

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Bideeeeen :argh:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the demo god joe biden

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

blunt posted:

Bideeeeen :argh:

Jesus

Considering Biden loving murdered everything, that's not too bad

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

It's still good. Cue pages of faux-handwringing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Alaois posted:

eddie was calling the Michael Nakazawa setup "sports entertainment poo poo" because Michael Nakazawa is a DDT wrestler and DDT started as a parody of WWF style Sports Entertainment in the late 90s

and the WWE absolutely invented the term sports entertainment for tax reasons what the gently caress are you on about

Seriously, I have no idea why this is so hostile but if I caused it somehow I'm sorry. I thought the Kingston line was funny following the extended in ring talking segment because that's something very commonly associated with WWE's way of doing things. If you didn't get that then fair enough. My bad I guess. But I feel comfortable saying that comedy, in ring promos, and crazy segments of the Cody/Nightmare Factory stuff all kind of fall under our general idea of "sports entertainment" and all existed before WWE. Who cares about WWE? Why are we even talking about WWE? I liked the show but I thought it was a lot heavier on talking and out of ring action than the usual Dynamite, and probably not everyone will feel that. Is that less objectionable phrasing?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ethan page is Fine but there's like, a dozen other people I'd rather see get TV time right now. Archer hasn't done much in ages, Miro is just getting going after the endless Best Friends feud, there's a lot of stuff we could be doing with the women's division, etc etc etc.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

bernie would've won (the demo)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
"sports entertainment" means some very specific things you didn't seem to mean and trying to put that label on 'a promo between a bunch of people who are gonna try to kill each other next week' is both not that and has connotations you probably didn't intend

michael nakazawa, a wrestler with several crotch-based moves who starts every match recently with ducking away to talk to kenny omega over the (obviously disconnected) headset, is the most sports entertainment thing happening on the roster and was also clearly who eddie was referring to. there's a big difference between eddie making GBS threads on the comedy jobber and making GBS threads on the big promo meant to sell people on next week's dynamite

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Seriously, I have no idea why this is so hostile but if I caused it somehow I'm sorry. I thought the Kingston line was funny following the extended in ring talking segment because that's something very commonly associated with WWE's way of doing things. If you didn't get that then fair enough. My bad I guess. But I feel comfortable saying that comedy, in ring promos, and crazy segments of the Cody/Nightmare Factory stuff all kind of fall under our general idea of "sports entertainment" and all existed before WWE. Who cares about WWE? Why are we even talking about WWE? I liked the show but I thought it was a lot heavier on talking and out of ring action than the usual Dynamite, and probably not everyone will feel that. Is that less objectionable phrasing?

Alaois always posts like that but if you spent the amount of time he does in the worst active thread in SA, you'd probably be permanently crotchety too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

flatluigi posted:

"sports entertainment" means some very specific things you didn't seem to intend and trying to put that label on 'a promo between a bunch of people who are gonna try to kill each other next week' is both not that and has connotations you probably didn't intend

michael nakazawa, a wrestler with several crotch-based moves who starts every match recently with ducking away to talk to kenny omega over the (obviously disconnected) headset, is the most sports entertainment thing happening on the roster and was also clearly who eddie was referring to. there's a big difference between eddie making GBS threads on the comedy jobber and making GBS threads on the big promo meant to sell people on next week's dynamite

That's fair, but I also thought it kind of just fit into the bigger picture of the Nakazawa stuff and the Cody stuff and the Miro stuff. There was just a lot more happening of that kind of thing than in ring action than usual. And I thought that timing of Kingston's line right after the long in ring promo segment so commonly associated with the booking style was kind of clever and made me laugh. But maybe it was dumb coincidence I read into. Mea culpa.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 29, 2021

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Lmao drat you sleepy joe

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

STAC Goat posted:

That's fair, but I also thought it kind of just fit into the bigger picture of the Nakazawa stuff and the Cody stuff and the Miro stuff. There was just a lot more happening of that kind of thing than in ring action than usual. And I thought that timing of Kingston's line right after the long in ring promo segment so commonly associated with the booking style was kind of clever and made me laugh. But maybe it was dumb coincidence I read into. Mea culpa.

'sports entertainment' is a lot of things but it's not really just "talking segments" since that's a fundamental half of any wrestling show -- you have the wrestling, and you have the talking that either sets up upcoming matches directly or fleshes out characters in ways that make you want to see more of them. miro's stuff was one-sided but it was a backstage brawl; cody being extra enough to put on the figure four on top of a bus instead of just clobbering the dude was the only real out-there part of that segment.

i should say that peppering in ~sports entertainment~ bits isn't even inherently a bad thing: the MJF/Jericho showtune segment was sports entertainment, definitely, even though it was fun and worked with both characters. if it was on WWE (which was brought up because they did in fact come up with the 'sports entertainment' term and are very careful to call themselves that and not 'a wrestling show), though, it wouldn't have just been one segment; it'd have been one or both of their characters for weeks and it'd have been the only thing they do on television anymore (recent examples on WWE: otis, matt riddle, alexa bliss/the fiend)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Eddie uses sports entertainment as a specific pejorative and has since the beginning at AEW, one of his insults to Mox was calling him a "sports entertainer" afterall.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

another win for the good Bides

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Another entry on Joe Biden's long list of crimes.

Still not too bad considering, though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

flatluigi posted:

i should say that peppering in ~sports entertainment~ bits isn't even inherently a bad thing:
I agree completely and I never intended it to be used negatively. But I also obviously differ from a lot of the AEW thread in a bunch of ways including that like I wrote of WWE a long time ago and my viewing of AEW has absolutely nothing to do with them. I don't care about the ratings war. I don't read fans on Twitter or argue with them. I just watch Dynamite on my TV and either like it or don't like it (or usually a mix of both). So I wasn't really thinking "WWE" except that Jericho segments always kind of give me a "WWE" feel (which is another one of those differences).

So yeah, obviously I just used "sports entertainment" too casually for how some people weigh it. So my bad. That was a Dynamite less driven by bell to bell stuff and more on in the in extra stuff than usual. That was all I really meant to say.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

listen mack i've been in the, uh, the inner circle way before you were in that, um, the WW...you know, that other company.

now here's the deal: santana and obama and dogs. they're vicious. they're, uh, well. sorry. i shouldn't have said that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I can't believe Vince paid Joe Biden to sack this week's Dynamite. And it was such a great episode! Luckily next week should also be pretty good.

Kenny does pretty desperately need a non-Mox feud as champion though. It's been going since November. And I don't mind long stories, but he beat Mox twice and the last time was a death match. There's nowhere up from that. I can't care about them having a normal tag match featuring MT Nakazawa at this point.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Honestly almost 900K viewers seems pretty good to. Can't wait for the quarterly hours, wouldn't surprise me if 1-2 quarters in the first hour got close to 1 million and then dropped massively during the second hour.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Big Bucks Biden

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

Alaois always posts like that but if you spent the amount of time he does in the worst active thread in SA, you'd probably be permanently crotchety too.

We're all in the AEW thread though

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

drat Big Dustin got really, really hit last night.

https://twitter.com/dustinrhodes/status/1387864771152826375?s=20

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

please

i don't post in the F1 thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Biden, The Challenge and an NBA game. WHOOF.