Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

They're supposed to, but I've also never really had trouble with getting a mystic to learn magic so idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Every time T260G tries to do anything they tell Gen he doesn’t have to participate and Gen is like “nah motherfucker I am in this for the long haul” and then stabs some robots. Good times.

I only used T260G and Leonard in my run but I could’ve used that heavy mech with the weird name if I had remembered to buy from him before I got Leonard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eh, you didn't miss much with PzkwV. He doesn't get Multi-slash so he's not part of Team Blender with the other mechs and Gen :colbert:

Admittedly my main reason for using ZEKE is that the idea of a tiny plane flying around with a sword was too good to pass up.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
pzkwV is short for Panzer Kampf Wagen V, by the by. Literally just "Armored Combat Vehicle, model V", but that's still a mouthful over EngineerCar.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I just remembered Blue's supposed to be a magician. It's probably a waste of a scholarship to Magic School if he solves all his problems with a handgun.

What are the [soft caps] for stats where they level out and arent worth upgrading further?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I just remembered Blue's supposed to be a magician. It's probably a waste of a scholarship to Magic School if he solves all his problems with a handgun.

Wizards are known for their love of firearms

e: also the Final Fantasy X-2 version of a Blue Mage is called Gun Mage, it all fits

Veib fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 29, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What are the [soft caps] for stats where they level out and arent worth upgrading further?

Guns and magic use most of the same stats and their skills are learned the same way so they're a pretty natural pair :eng101: Gun talent and magic talent uses the same value in the background so Blue and Rouge are actually the best at learning gun skills by virtue of being the best at learning magic.

I'm not sure there is strictly a soft cap, more like there are levels at which your stats are endgame-ready. I usually just use HP as a benchmark, at least for human characters. If your HP is over 700, you're probably good for endgame, and it's pretty unlikely that you'd get there and not have your other stats be good enough, too. Looking at some of my endgame characters from other playthroughs, they usually have like 60-70 in their main stats (before gear bonuses) and 700-800 HP.

Worth noting that Blue's sort of a special case. By endgame, he's going to have a ton of JP and his magic stats probably maxed out basically no matter what you do. That actually makes Blue a pretty great hybrid. You basically can't avoid making him be an incredibly powerful magic-user no matter how you build him, so taking time to make him good at other things on top of magic is just a bonus. Blue spoilers: that said, if you lose the duel to Rouge, you get to keep all your magic and magic-related stats, but none of your physical skills or stats, so if you have a physical or hybrid Blue, make sure you win.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 29, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Planebot is made for suicide bombing.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Per the mechanics guide, you will generally have a 50% chance to gain one point to any stat until it hits 66, assuming you're fighting some of the common endgame enemies (Dullahans, Krakens, Zeroworms, and R&Rs, specifically). This varies a bit depending on inherent stat growth bonuses the character may have. For example, Gen has a bonus to strength growth, so he can expect to have a 50% chance of increasing strength until it's around 73, but by the time it hits 90 his chance to increase his strength falls to 1%.

There's a bunch of other factors because it's SaGa, but broad strokes stats stop growing reliably around the mid-70s.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Harrow posted:

Mystics really suck at learning spells, huh

On the one hand it's not all that important. Mesarthim has Maelstrom and Asellus can do AoE sword attacks so it's not like anyone needs Gale Blast or anything like that. On the other hand it'd be neat to have someone able to cast Mirror Shade to cover for Shadow Servants.

I'm doing a Mystic Squad for Asellus's playthrough and so far nobody has learned a single gift spell. :eng99:

Fun fact: every Mystic has the exact same "0" in Magic Talent that Emilia does.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Fun fact: every Mystic has the exact same "0" in Magic Talent that Emilia does.

They also can't equip enough spells to have magic mastery, so they can't use mastery to double their spell learning chance the way humans can.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The duel against Rouge ended like that Ralph Bakshi movie, albeit much shittier. A powerful wizard gunned down by a dude with a pistol over and over again.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The duel against Rouge ended like that Ralph Bakshi movie, albeit much shittier. A powerful wizard gunned down by a dude with a pistol over and over again.

Fun fact about that duel.

When the duel calls out a certain school of magic, it actually reduces the damage of all the others. Obviously, you're not going to have half the schools, so even if you have an attack spell of every school you know equipped you're going to miss out about half the rounds and be stuck doing lowered damage.

It doesn't do a drat thing to the power of guns. Those always work. So the most reliable way to win a wizard's duel is to bring the greatest spell of all: Gun. (Swords too, but it's funnier when it's guns.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pictured: Blue after he learns the DSC

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
What's the best way to get my mechs to learn multi-slash?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I hit a weird glitch in Blue's scenario, where I bought a sand vessel in Facinaturu, did a bunch of running around before using it, then not having it when I tried to use it. Looking in my inventory, I have a shade cloak with the description of a cure, but I can equip it like armour.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mike_V posted:

What's the best way to get my mechs to learn multi-slash?

Just keep absorbing data from mid- to high-rank enemy mechs and any mech capable of learning Multi-slash will learn it eventually. Not every type of mech can learn it, though. Off the top of my head, Rabbit, BJ&K, and PzkwV won't learn it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Arzaac posted:

Honestly I really like RS2 because of the generations mechanic. Like, a problem I have with SaGa games is there are frequently too many characters and I wanna try using all of them, and RS2 basically just stops you at certain points and goes "Alright, you're gonna have to make a new party now", and to me that goes a long way towards encouraging me to try out different units. And honestly the fact that they're all generic...really doesn't matter to me much? A lot of SaGa characters might have a unique sidequest here or there, but they tend to effectively become generic units once they join your party anyways.

Playing RS2 for the first time last year was nuts. Like, I already didn't like Rogue Leagacy, but seeing RS2 do systems and mechanics that got Rogue Legacy treated as revolutionary by game jouranlists done better and more interesting made me dislike the game much more lol.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Every time T260G tries to do anything they tell Gen he doesn’t have to participate and Gen is like “nah motherfucker I am in this for the long haul” and then stabs some robots. Good times.

I only used T260G and Leonard in my run but I could’ve used that heavy mech with the weird name if I had remembered to buy from him before I got Leonard.

Engineer Car and ZEKE are better, the mech you're referring to is the worst one out of all of them so being easily missed is no big loss.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Wow, Riki's final boss went down way faster than I expected. I was pretty overpowered for it, I guess.

Also it seems like DSC didn't count for Virgil's combo battle, which I remember working before

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Kicked off T260's quest tonight. The nice thing about many robots is that robots kick rear end; the downside is having to ration absorbs so everyone learns things slower. Might bounce off the laser grid in Despair a couple dozen times or so.

Also I forgot what a jackass ZEKE was; god drat I love this ridiculous loving game.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Harrow posted:

Ahh, that's where I messed up. I imported it from NG+ and apparently that doesn't count. Maybe the game checks whether you bought the Sand Vessel, not whether you have it in your inventory?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Correct, the game trequires the character to buy it not just have one in their inventory. I actually expected the game to take the vessel away in NG+ like it does the treasures for Sei's tomb and was surprised it didn't. Glad it didn't take away my 5 Phantasms. :black101:

I'm not sure this is correct.

There are now two different items both named "Sand Vessel". The one you buy from Gozarus has the Item icon and is what triggers the "filled the sand vessel" message. Any previously-used Sand Vessels have the Accessory icon and are the equippable ones.

This was easier to hide in the original release since you couldn't carry items over the way we can now, and they didn't change the icons.

This might means you could buy a Sand Vessel on a character, not use it, do New Game+, and get TimeLord for someone without using their LP. I don't know why you would do that.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Also it seems like DSC didn't count for Virgil's combo battle, which I remember working before

DSC never worked on Virgil.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

mp5 posted:

DSC never worked on Virgil.

Virgil has always counted DSC as one combo level below the number of hits it achieves, so the max is 4 for a DSC that goes through all five attacks.
The data/mechanics on GameFaqs has always stated this as true and nothing in the remaster changed this, the problem is that Virgil only takes one combo per round so you can't double dip with a 5 hit DSC and a 4 person combo because he only cares about the highest scoring combo.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Im getting soft-locked with the Gold Card event. Emilia and the Gnome head into the elevator, and I can't interact with it anymore.

No elevator works, this is on a NG+ replay.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 30, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Im getting soft-locked with the Gold Card event. Emilia and the Gnome head into the elevator, and I can't interact with it anymore.

I thought the same, but you can just go to a different elevator. You're now supposed to go to the parking lot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mp5 posted:

There are now two different items both named "Sand Vessel". The one you buy from Gozarus has the Item icon and is what triggers the "filled the sand vessel" message. Any previously-used Sand Vessels have the Accessory icon and are the equippable ones.

This was easier to hide in the original release since you couldn't carry items over the way we can now, and they didn't change the icons.

This might means you could buy a Sand Vessel on a character, not use it, do New Game+, and get TimeLord for someone without using their LP. I don't know why you would do that..

Ohhhhh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mp5 posted:

This might means you could buy a Sand Vessel on a character, not use it, do New Game+, and get TimeLord for someone without using their LP. I don't know why you would do that.

Interesting, after I finish my Asellus playthrough I might try this and see if it lets you recruit Time Lord in T260G's setting (the only one where this would really matter).

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Harrow posted:

Eh, you didn't miss much with PzkwV. He doesn't get Multi-slash so he's not part of Team Blender with the other mechs and Gen :colbert:

Admittedly my main reason for using ZEKE is that the idea of a tiny plane flying around with a sword was too good to pass up.

PzkwV would still be great if they at least gave him Shock Soldier or Pop Knight, but the dude can't really learn anything remotely useful

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

No elevator works, this is on a NG+ replay.

Climb up or down until reaching another elevator and go to the basement.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
In case anyone runs into this problem later, several of T260's plot beats only work if he's in his original TYPE01 body. Probably best to save other body types for grinding and sidequests.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I thought there was just the one that required it (specifically, talking to Leonard when you first meet him) but I could be missing some since I mostly stuck to the Type01 body until the end anyway.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Harrow posted:

I thought there was just the one that required it (specifically, talking to Leonard when you first meet him) but I could be missing some since I mostly stuck to the Type01 body until the end anyway.

That’s the big one that had me scratching my head. I had to look in a guide to find that out. I was using the futuristic pyramid body which was the only unique one besides the Omega body. The hammer move was kinda cool.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I think there's another one where I had to switch to the original body, but that's it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Grevlek posted:

Hi thread! I've picked up RS 2, RS 3, and SF on the Switch, and I'm bouncing off them a bit when I'm trying to get into them.

I really loved Final Fantasy Legend 2 on the Game Boy, I've probably beaten it a dozen times since I got it in the mid 90s. But for whatever reason, I can't find a character or scenario in any of the three games above that I can play for more than an hour.

I really want to get into this series, where should I start? I tried to do the robot guy last night in saga frontier, and got a game over screen at the battle arena. I was pretty salty and just went to bed after

It's SaGa.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Screwing around in Wakatu because Suzaku started spawning and took Mesarthim from her starting state to having all three mystic weapons, and then stuffing Suzakus into them, before I finally got the one into Silence's boots.

:staredog:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

WebDO posted:

Screwing around in Wakatu because Suzaku started spawning and took Mesarthim from her starting state to having all three mystic weapons, and then stuffing Suzakus into them, before I finally got the one into Silence's boots.

:staredog:

We need a :xcom: but for Saga.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Ardryn posted:

Virgil has always counted DSC as one combo level below the number of hits it achieves, so the max is 4 for a DSC that goes through all five attacks.
The data/mechanics on GameFaqs has always stated this as true and nothing in the remaster changed this, the problem is that Virgil only takes one combo per round so you can't double dip with a 5 hit DSC and a 4 person combo because he only cares about the highest scoring combo.

The fun thing is that the different permutations of DSC count as different combos, so a couple DSCs and a regular combo can be enough to wrap up that fight.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

jesus the Virgil fight is stupid then

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

FeyerbrandX posted:

The fun thing is that the different permutations of DSC count as different combos, so a couple DSCs and a regular combo can be enough to wrap up that fight.

mp5 posted:

jesus the Virgil fight is stupid then

It actually makes learning DSC worth it for Riki's quest, since the final boss is strong against throws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I dunno if the DSC is all that worth it for the Virgil fight unless you're using a lot of monsters and only a couple humans, or if you're just already using a martial artist.

If you just want to pass the battle and you don't care about getting the two-turn achievement, you can do that pretty easily by just buying some Sonic Blasters and Water Cannons for four humans/mystics. They all combo with each other so you can just do a couple combinations of like 4x Sonic Blaster, 4x Water Cannon, maybe throw in a Dark Sphere if someone has it, you'll get through no problem. And if you do want the achievement, make sure Riki has Water Cannon as one of his learned abilities, then do 5x Water Cannon on one turn, then replace one Water Cannon with a Sonic Blaster or Dark Sphere on the next turn and you're set.

This would have worked for me except I tried out my planned 5x combos ahead of time and so Virgil wouldn't accept it and I had to settle for winning with three 4x combos :v:

Just going and buying a few heavy weapons is a lot less effort than learning DSC unless you were using a martial artist and were gonna try to learn it anyway.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 1, 2021