Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Beelzebufo posted:

I'm wondering if people more versed in this area could answer a question for me. Given what we're seeing in India, among other places, right now, I'm wondering if the relatively low covid infections/deaths by population we are seeing in big chunks of Africa is just a reporting issue, or if maybe the variants haven't spread there yet. Stories out of India seem to indicate that this wave is going really bad in rural as well as urban areas, so I was wondering if this means there's the potential for an African surge coming in the near future.

I think an African surge is inevitable. Why it hasn't yet occurred I couldn't tell you: how covid spreads on a population level doesn't seem well understood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Re Deby, the rebels claim they shot him, although frankly they'd probably make that claim even if he instead caught a fatal case of bribed bodyguard.

macron attended his funeral lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Count Roland posted:

I think an African surge is inevitable. Why it hasn't yet occurred I couldn't tell you: how covid spreads on a population level doesn't seem well understood.
- Poorly connected to other continents by air
- Mostly rural
- The African population is very, very young and less likely to suffer from severe COVID or die
- Low testing rates, unseen cases

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Anecdotally speaking, I was in Mali and Burkina Faso in early February 2020. They had health screening questionnaires for contact tracing and doctors in masks and face shields taking temperature readings upon arrival in both Ouaga and Bamako. I think there was a considerable cultural hangover/fear of dealing with another pandemic like the 2014 EVD one, and authorities in most countries knew they had no hope of treating COVID outbreaks with their horrific national health infrastructure and put all of their efforts on early screening and prevention.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

There's some interesting data coming out of South Africa on excess deaths - the article from March has the estimate at ~145k since May last year, with the SAMRC site having since upped that to ~155k.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-03-safrica-excess-deaths-triple-virus.html

https://www.samrc.ac.za/reports/report-weekly-deaths-south-africa

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Beelzebufo posted:

I'm wondering if people more versed in this area could answer a question for me. Given what we're seeing in India, among other places, right now, I'm wondering if the relatively low covid infections/deaths by population we are seeing in big chunks of Africa is just a reporting issue, or if maybe the variants haven't spread there yet. Stories out of India seem to indicate that this wave is going really bad in rural as well as urban areas, so I was wondering if this means there's the potential for an African surge coming in the near future.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1387960392916291584

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Well well

quote:

KAMPALA (Reuters) - Uganda has detected the Indian variant of the novel coronavirus, igniting fears the East African nation could suffer a resurgence of cases just when its outbreak has waned, a senior health official said on Friday.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-uganda-idUSKBN2CH0TB

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Bureaucrat From Buffalo Who Pushed Somalia to the Brink

quote:

NAIROBI, Kenya — During his years as an administrator at the Department of Transportation in upstate New York, the Somali refugee turned U.S. citizen earned a master’s degree in American Studies, imbibing democratic values he hoped to one day export back to his homeland.

That dream came true for Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed in 2017, when he returned to Somalia and was elected president in a surprise victory that evinced high hopes he might reform — even transform — his dysfunctional, war-weary country.

But those aspirations have crumbled since Mr. Mohamed failed to hold elections when his four-year term ended in February, then moved to extend his rule by two years — a step many Somalis viewed as a naked power grab.

A furious political dispute turned violent on Sunday when a series of gunfights broke out between rival military factions in the capital, Mogadishu, evoking fears that Somalia, after years of modest yet gradual progress, could descend into the kind of clan-based bloodshed that ripped it apart in the 1990s.

Now Mr. Mohamed’s democratic credentials lie in tatters and he is in an open confrontation with his former ally, the United States, where he still has a family home. Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken has publicly threatened to sanction Mr. Mohamed and other Somali officials, and this week American officials reiterated calls for Somalia to hold elections immediately.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

incredibly inaccurate article like all foreign news about Somalia. There were no clashes at all, and no one paid attention to what was being tweeted by an embassy based in an different nation. Rather, the moment was decided by the n&n loyal regional governments switching sides.

This could be solved if they hired a person who speaks Somali.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

In other news the government of Ethiopia just declared the Oromo Liberation Front a terrorist group and disappeared its political leader.

the country is headed back to 2005.

https://mobile.twitter.com/addisstandard/status/1389521579529359362

they probably also killed the police commissioner for the Amhara region.

https://mobile.twitter.com/addisstandard/status/1389554666904727559

https://mobile.twitter.com/addisstandard/status/1388403167050838017

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Anecdotally speaking, I was in Mali and Burkina Faso in early February 2020. They had health screening questionnaires for contact tracing and doctors in masks and face shields taking temperature readings upon arrival in both Ouaga and Bamako. I think there was a considerable cultural hangover/fear of dealing with another pandemic like the 2014 EVD one, and authorities in most countries knew they had no hope of treating COVID outbreaks with their horrific national health infrastructure and put all of their efforts on early screening and prevention.

Once COVID is in then it's in, and there's no way those screening efforts are stopping COVID 100% from getting in (or even 99%). Also given that there is no quarantine or any other follow-up once passengers are in. Also those temperature readers are an absolute joke. I've been scanned 3 or 4 times since COVID happened and the output is always something absurd, like 34°C. Those handheld "forehead temperature reader" things are 100% placebo. Some countries like Taiwan or whatever might have good actually-working high tech thermal readers, but the handheld ones you see at restaurants are divining rods. There's also no meaningful COVID restrictions or controls once in the most SS African countries; sure there are some but they're very intermittent. I follow some Ethiopian guys on Instagram and their Christmas and Timkat and wedding videos are 100% packed people and I have never seen a mask. I was in Ethiopia in mid-Feb 2020 and there were no COVID controls at the airport at all. I saw a couple Asian-looking travellers wearing face masks but that was the full extent of it.

What we're seeing is a lack of reporting + very young population + possibly luck so far. It's not a coincidence that South Africa had the "worst" epidemic, since it's also the SS African country with the best medical system.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 5, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

PawParole posted:

In other news the government of Ethiopia just declared the Oromo Liberation Front a terrorist group and disappeared its political leader.

Yeesh. Was this an inevitability of an Ethiopian strongman trying to centralize and modernize the country? Or how else did Abiy gently caress up?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PawParole posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/addisstandard/status/1389521579529359362

https://mobile.twitter.com/addisstandard/status/1389554666904727559

https://mobile.twitter.com/addisstandard/status/1388403167050838017

I'm very ignorant about Ethiopia and Africa as a whole, but I'm trying to learn.

What happened in 2005 and why is that relevant to today?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Count Roland posted:

I'm very ignorant about Ethiopia and Africa as a whole, but I'm trying to learn.

What happened in 2005 and why is that relevant to today?

Ethiopia’s first ever democratic election happened, the TPLF refused to cede power and was sanctioned, then they coincidentally invaded Somalia ( restarting the Somali civil war) and America dumped in arms that they used to suppress the opposition and cancel the elections.

Grouchio posted:

Yeesh. Was this an inevitability of an Ethiopian strongman trying to centralize and modernize the country? Or how else did Abiy gently caress up?

If the Canadian government stripped Quebec of all its rights, or the British government sought to strip Scotland of its devolved rights unilaterally. Wouldn’t that be a shitstorm?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

PawParole posted:

incredibly inaccurate article like all foreign news about Somalia. There were no clashes at all, and no one paid attention to what was being tweeted by an embassy based in an different nation. Rather, the moment was decided by the n&n loyal regional governments switching sides.

This could be solved if they hired a person who speaks Somali.

Yeah, NYT seems to pull this kind of thing a lot. Sorry.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

With Buhari under intense criticism for doing jack loving poo poo as Nigeria's security collapses, why am I not surprised that western media is suddenly reporting for the umpteenth time that Abubakar Shekau has been critically wounded? How are they taking this seriously?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

In the time honored tradition of every prediction I make in this thread being completely wrong, it looks like Shekau may actually be dead this time? Maybe?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

In the time honored tradition of every prediction I make in this thread being completely wrong, it looks like Shekau may actually be dead this time? Maybe?

ISIS are competent; at least compared to the local armies.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-57215690

Volcano erupting near Goma in the DRC, large scale evacuations underway.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Elyv posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-57215690

Volcano erupting near Goma in the DRC, large scale evacuations underway.
I have no idea where anything is in central africa.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grouchio posted:

I have no idea where anything is in central africa.

Maps and Google exist.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/USEmbassyMali/status/1396897324350283784

Looks like another military coup in Mali.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Hopefully not that. There is a post Ramadan uptick in violence across the region. Only a couple of days ago a few Burkinabé got taken over the border into Mali, convicted of theft by an ad hoc court and had their hands cut off.
There are other nasty events as well so I hope the increased military effort is in relation to that and not a coup. I literally just finished a farewell speech for a guy heading to Mali tomorrow so double hope it’s not going that way.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

don't the french have a fairly heavy military presence in mali still? wouldn't expect the government to fall without french sanction

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I just found out that all these right wing white's love to jack-off about Rhodesia. They keep stating that the country was one of the quickest developing nations in the world, and that it survived sanctions, and what not. I was wondering what the true story of the country was. I tried looking up on Google but a lot of sources seem "biased" to say the least.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it was bad op

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I just found out that all these right wing white's love to jack-off about Rhodesia. They keep stating that the country was one of the quickest developing nations in the world, and that it survived sanctions, and what not. I was wondering what the true story of the country was. I tried looking up on Google but a lot of sources seem "biased" to say the least.

:heritage: rhodesians never die :heritage:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Rhodesia was so bad that Apartheid South Africa thought they were crazy. There were also no votes in their parliament against becoming a British colony again because conditions were so bad.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rhodesia Rd, California 96140

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Rhodesia was so bad that Apartheid South Africa thought they were crazy. There were also no votes in their parliament against becoming a British colony again because conditions were so bad.

Are there any good articles I can read about it? This seems in stark contrast to the "fastest developing country in Africa" that I came across.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are there any good articles I can read about it? This seems in stark contrast to the "fastest developing country in Africa" that I came across.
I don't know about Articles but I do have the 2016 book The Struggle Continues: 50 Years of Tyranny in Zimbabwe that describes the accounts of Zimbabwe (from Smith to Mugabe) from a Rhodesian lawyer.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The takes on Africa from The National Interest have been getting nuclear

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I think.....they may have a point on Libya. Even I floated the idea of a constitutional monarchy revival when the civil war started in 2011...

Edit: Considering they have two Senussi claimants who could qualify

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 7, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what the gently caress

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I think.....they may have a point on Libya. Even I floated the idea of a constitutional monarchy revival when the civil war started in 2011...

“Even I” more like “of course I”

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grouchio posted:

Ah so the foremost experts on Libya are in agreement

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Does Libya even have some kind of indigenous aristocratic family with a claim or are they going to import more Germans in this scenario? Maybe get those horrible whiny Italians who won't log off twitter? They kind of have a claim.

e: Is that Ottoman librarian who fought in WW2 still alive?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Does Libya even have some kind of indigenous aristocratic family with a claim or are they going to import more Germans in this scenario? Maybe get those horrible whiny Italians who won't log off twitter? They kind of have a claim.

There's still two claimants from the Senussi family that Gaddafi deposed.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Well, I mean it's worked for Belgium for nearly 200 years, and they fabricated the royalty and the nation out of the blue for that one. Maybe Libya can be the Belgium of North Africa -- a terrible mess but somehow kept together.

Also it looks more likely that Abubakar Shekau is actually dead re: a few posts back about rumors of it. Except it wasn't the security forces that killed it him -- it was a splinter section of his own people that set up an ISIS franchise. So, probably not good news in the grand scheme of things, but maybe there will be somewhat less psychotic rampaging and murdering of random farmers.

Tons of reports on it in the past week or so, e.g. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-57378493

E: Wait wait, I just actually read that National Interest article. "Switzerland—that liberal beacon at the heart of Europe." What? Switzerland is and has always been a mix of extremely conservative and quite liberal policies... but it's definitely not a beacon and trendsetter.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/ethiopia-conflict-expulsions/?utm_source=reddit.com

They’ve increased the estimate for the Mai Kadra massacre to 1400 from previous estimate, and confirmed that there were two massacres. TPLF massacred Amhara civilians first, then FANO militias massacred Tigray next.

Western Tigray all the way to the Tekezi river has been annexed by the Amhara region.

Total civilian deaths stand at 20,000-50,000

PawParole fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 8, 2021