Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Oh god.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Phone posting was a mistake.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 28, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That's some good Annieposting

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Tenebrais posted:

That association probably only happened in the first place because he was away for so long. He'd last seen Annie when she was 11, then coming back when she's 15 or so and now wearing her mother's makeup, it's easy to see how he might initially see Surma sitting there rather than Annie and get shocked about it. Something he never got over.

there is the psychological aspect to it but also knowing this comic he probably perceives Annie as 'Surma, Again' because it is also literally, magically, true

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I think what he's describing about being locked out from Annie has been going on for most of her life, she talks about him being distant while she was living in the hospital. That whole awful situation when he came back and told her off in front of the class was more of the same bullshit. He said himself that seeing her wearing makeup made him lose it, but he was already weird toward her for as long as she can remember.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 28, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, the only time Annie felt close to him was when he taught her how to fight and she got grabby with his suit. Doesn't seem like they had heartwarming conversations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

A.o.D. posted:

Phone posting was a mistake.

Just shove these posts under boxbot, no one will care.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Bilirubin posted:

Noted talk therapist a rock

'I got CBT!'

'I got relationship counseling!'

'I got a rock.'

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Boxbot could parent better than this.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

coolusername posted:

Boxbot could parent better than this.

Let's not say anything we can't take back now.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this is a really, really interesting chapter

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Daktar posted:

'I got CBT!'

'I got relationship counseling!'

'I got a rock.'

This is a good post

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I hope that Tony will get past this and will finally be able to tell Annie just how much he loves her. Maybe like his favorite pencil.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
maybe he could like, start with writing her a letter or pre-recorded video. Or an email. hell even a text

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Let's hope Jones suggests something Tony could do. He's had a long enough tenure as an extremely lovely parent.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

maswastaken posted:

Let's hope Jones suggests something Tony could do. He's had a long enough tenure as an extremely lovely parent.

You did the best anyone in your situation could do. It's time to see past this and refocus. :smugjones:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mazerunner posted:

maybe he could like, start with writing her a letter or pre-recorded video. Or an email. hell even a text
That's not a bad idea tbh.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mazerunner posted:

Splicer posted:

That's not a bad idea tbh.

Sorry to keep bringing things back to therapy, but writing down your thoughts and feelings like that is not only a good way to help convey them to others, but also a good way to help understand them yourself.

Also, Tony communicating his love through notes would be a really sweet and interesting way to handle the situation. Sometimes when you have a psychological condition (and regardless of how you feel about the dude I think we can all agree at this point that Tony is dealing with some brain problems) the solution isn't "getting over" the condition so much as it is learning how to do things in a way that works best for you. For Tony that could be expressing through writing the feelings his apparent anxiety disorder prevents him from expressing verbally.

So, yeah, really good idea!

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
To not shitpost for a change, sometimes part what keeps you paralyzed and silent is just the extreme and guilt-ridden vastness of what you've so far been unable to express--that huge gap between your own inner world and the inner world of the other person. So getting a message across to her through some indirect form like a written letter might free him up a bit in person as well.

I can't honestly tell if Jones would make for an excellent therapist or a terrible one. Guess we'll maybe find out on Monday.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Jones does have the entirety of humanity to draw upon. However Jones is also just Jones.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Sorry to keep bringing things back to therapy, but writing down your thoughts and feelings like that is not only a good way to help convey them to others, but also a good way to help understand them yourself.

Also, Tony communicating his love through notes would be a really sweet and interesting way to handle the situation. Sometimes when you have a psychological condition (and regardless of how you feel about the dude I think we can all agree at this point that Tony is dealing with some brain problems) the solution isn't "getting over" the condition so much as it is learning how to do things in a way that works best for you. For Tony that could be expressing through writing the feelings his apparent anxiety disorder prevents him from expressing verbally.

So, yeah, really good idea!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I forgot I was originally thinking this chapter was going to be about Kat being trapped in the mind cage, which is also a physical jail.

New wild theory: Tony was locked in the mind cage by the arbiters so that he wouldn't damage reality by being a competent parent.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rand Brittain posted:

I forgot I was originally thinking this chapter was going to be about Kat being trapped in the mind cage, which is also a physical jail.

New wild theory: Tony was locked in the mind cage by the arbiters so that he wouldn't damage reality by being a competent parent.

Oh my god, Annie is totally gonna have Kat go into Tony's mind cage and use her lockpicks on it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Isn't that Persona 5?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phy posted:

Isn't that Persona 5?

Can't be, this comic has gay people in it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Can't be, this comic has gay people in it.

Hey that's not fair, Persona 5 has two gay men in it :v:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This is such a bizarre character trait.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The difficulty of explaining why a parent figure is both sympathetic and yet utterly hapless in their protagonist-child's hair-raising adventures is probably why they get murked so often

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ronya posted:

The difficulty of explaining why a parent figure is both sympathetic and yet utterly hapless in their protagonist-child's hair-raising adventures is probably why they get murked so often

That and writers are often fundamentally miserable people who had lovely parents and/or hate them

On a lighter (yet still socially destabilizing) note: introducing the first practical Laser Cow

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/seattle-startup-sends-laser-equipped-robots-to-zap-weeds-on-farmland/

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 2, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Kesper North posted:

That and writers are often fundamentally miserable people who had lovely parents and/or hate them

What

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ronya posted:

Hilda pulls it off without making Hilda's mom have an utterly broken brain.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Trust me, when you've got lovely parents you write about it a lot

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
:boom: Jones laying on the truth!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Turns out rocks really do make the best therapists.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 207 days!
been awhile thread; thread title funny

also ff8 makes sense if you assume squall knew jones and modelled his personality after her a bit. food for thought.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

"i have trouble speaking to my child"

"Did you ever try telling her this?"

"No, of course not. That's brilliant. I can just do the thing that my issues are causing me an inability to perform!"

For being such an observant rock that's watched humanity throughout it's lifespan it's amazing she's still just saying the same unhelpful thing that every person struggling with mental health gets. Try just not having issues? Never thought of that one before Ole' Jonesy.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If I'd been humanity's shrink since its inception I'd be a bit passive aggressive too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jones should simply just break open the mind cage with her fist

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I can't tell if his reaction is supposed to be genuine or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

I can't tell if his reaction is supposed to be genuine or not.

He kind of has a half cocked eyebrow and I can read the smile as a smirk, so I think it's ameant to at least be half sarcastic.