Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
you can easily replicate that overview effect type thing by going somewhere quiet and dark at night and laying down and staring at the sky also take a dose or two of LSD first and also you might go a little crazy and get void madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Paddyo posted:

Saw this pop up on gcaptain. Sure glad nobody is concerned about grey hulls going up in smoke if we ever get into a shooting war against someone who can afford a BrahMos.

Can The US Navy Protect Ships From Missile Attacks?
Bloomberg
Total Views: 2125
April 29, 2021

It would be neat if they could put a CIWS on a ship with a bunch of empty conex boxes and do tests like this. Unless they expect a different result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGoJl8Lr46g

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That was a way I would center myself in Iraq. NODs and a moonless desert night is like staring into the waves during a storm- you realize quickly how tiny you are, and how indifferent the universe is.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Seeing the night sky through nvgs for the first time was loving amazing

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

oh man, I was like a drat child: "woh bro guys look up wow"

it's great to watch people's first reactions

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's too late at that point though.

"THEY'RE making him say it" is probably in the comments a million times in any article related to him backtracking on being a loving idiot. The damage was done. It's good that he's saying it, but still.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

oh man, I was like a drat child: "woh bro guys look up wow"

it's great to watch people's first reactions

I loved volunteering, my wife and I would take city kids camping. The reactions were so great. All ages too, the jaded teenagers would even open up in awe.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Never done NVG's, but a ship in the middle of the ocean on a clear moonless night is pretty amazing too.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Never done NVG's, but a ship in the middle of the ocean on a clear moonless night is pretty amazing too.

About sixteen years ago, I was on the Navajo or Hopi reservation doing geology work in college, it was the first time I saw the milky way. The sky was amazingly clear and pretty.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Seeing the sky at night in Afghanistan was a life changing experience.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
One of my bucket list items is to hike to the top of a remote mountain to see the night sky from the summit.

e:vvv God drat!

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 30, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I’ll never forget being just shy of my 13th birthday and being on a walk with my best friend and our dads near Bend, Oregon in 1997. I remember it as a moonless night, and the skies were just absolutely lit up with billions of stars. The comet Hale-Bopp was in the sky, and I’ll never forget my friend’s dad nudging me with his elbow and saying “Hey, look up at the comet. Do you see it?” I strained my eyes and he said again “Do you see it? About 40 people waving back?”

Another priceless childhood memory punctuated by an extremely off-color dad joke.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’ll never forget being just shy of my 13th birthday and being on a walk with my best friend and our dads near Bend, Oregon in 1997. I remember it as a moonless night, and the skies were just absolutely lit up with billions of stars. The comet Hale-Bopp was in the sky, and I’ll never forget my friend’s dad nudging me with his elbow and saying “Hey, look up at the comet. Do you see it?” I strained my eyes and he said again “Do you see it? About 40 people waving back?”

Another priceless childhood memory punctuated by an extremely off-color dad joke.

Comet Hale-Bopp, eh? drat, a true :dadjoke:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Watching the reactions of people that grew up in a city and never really saw the night sky seeing it for the first time in the middle of nowhere always makes me smile a bit.

Don't you ruin my goddamn sky Elon.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Seconding this. A memory I'll never lose.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Lake of Methane posted:

It would be neat if they could put a CIWS on a ship with a bunch of empty conex boxes and do tests like this. Unless they expect a different result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGoJl8Lr46g

I think the powers that be know that carriers and other capitol ships are just floating liabilities if we ever fight against another state actor who can throw up 40 modern anti-ship missiles.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

On my third tour, as soon as we got to a location where it was feasible, I told everyone to spend a few minutes looking at the night sky.

"We've seen the night sky, dude."

"No, you haven't. You think you have. You won't believe how many shooting stars can go past in a minute. And I'd really prefer you do it on your time than the enemy's, so just do it."

And you'd still catch dudes staring at the sky. You can't help it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
wooooooooof

https://twitter.com/SollenbergerRC/status/1387927684362219525

quote:

A confession letter written by Joel Greenberg in the final months of the Trump presidency claims that he and close associate Rep. Matt Gaetz paid for sex with multiple women—as well as a girl who was 17 at the time.

“On more than one occasion, this individual was involved in sexual activities with several of the other girls, the congressman from Florida’s 1st Congressional District and myself,” Greenberg wrote in reference to the 17-year-old. “From time to time, gas money or gifts, rent or partial tuition payments were made to several of these girls, including the individual who was not yet 18. I did see the acts occur firsthand and Venmo transactions, Cash App or other payments were made to these girls on behalf of the Congressman.”

The letter, which The Daily Beast recently obtained, was written after Greenberg asked Roger Stone to help him secure a pardon from then-President Donald Trump.

In late 2020, Greenberg was out of jail and in communication with Stone. A series of private messages between the two—also recently obtained by The Daily Beast—shows a number of exchanges between Greenberg and Stone conducted over the encrypted messaging app Signal, with communications set to disappear. However, Greenberg appears to have taken screenshots of a number of their conversations.

“If I get you $250k in Bitcoin would that help or is this not a financial matter,” Greenberg wrote to Stone.

“I understand all of this and have taken it into consideration,” Stone replied. “I will know more in the next 24 hours I cannot push too hard because of the nonsense surrounding pardons.”

“I hope you are prepared to wire me $250,000 because I am feeling confident,” Stone wrote to Greenberg on Jan. 13.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I wonder how Greenwald will defend him now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jesus christ.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

holy poo poo

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I mean, even if you're *charitable*, they were paying a 17-year old girl that lied about her age. Their response, *again being charitable*, was then to groom her until she became legal.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1387929792331362305

The wild thing is The Daily Beast getting the texts when there were only two people on them. Pretty sure that the Beast either has direct access to Greenberg or someone with access to those texts in law enforcement or something:

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1387931001322676229

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

imagine being so gullible you send Roger Stone a signed confession

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And in news surprising absolutely loving no one, the trans-Tasman bubble has successfully put two countries at risk:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/124993291/covid19-red-zone-traveller-who-breached-brisbane-airport-green-zone-tests-positive

quote:

The person had mixed with passengers travelling on three flights to New Zealand under the trans-Tasman bubble arrangement.

:ughh:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

"One conversation with POTUS and he can get this done and it all goes away."

Is this piece of poo poo in custody yet?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

bulletsponge13 posted:

On my third tour, as soon as we got to a location where it was feasible, I told everyone to spend a few minutes looking at the night sky.

"We've seen the night sky, dude."

"No, you haven't. You think you have. You won't believe how many shooting stars can go past in a minute. And I'd really prefer you do it on your time than the enemy's, so just do it."

And you'd still catch dudes staring at the sky. You can't help it.

Boy Scouts did this for me. Camping on a mountain (well OK really big hill) top during the perseid meteor shower is amazing and if I ever have kids they'll do it too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Greenberg posted:

the individual who was not yet 18

Funny way of writing “the girl”.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

"One conversation with POTUS and he can get this done and it all goes away."

Is this piece of poo poo in custody yet?

Yes! The texts are from Greenberg, who is in jail after getting charged with 33 counts by the feds. Stone's probably in the clear on this one, as he was only theoretically going to get paid to chase the pardon (legal - just can't buy a pardon yourself).

Gaetz has a lot of poo poo to worry about because his hookup very clearly wrote a lot of poo poo down and is either singing to the feds or has very, very poor safeguards on his poo poo. I'd bet the former - Greenberg's obviously the big fish in this case, but he probably is trying to convince the feds that he could help bag them a Congressman.

BTW:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1387934485430165507

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And in news surprising absolutely loving no one, the trans-Tasman bubble has successfully put two countries at risk:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/124993291/covid19-red-zone-traveller-who-breached-brisbane-airport-green-zone-tests-positive

:ughh:

quote:

The table was cleaned once they left.

Glad we have sight of what’s important here.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The article makes it look like Gaetz refused to list a finger to help Greenberg even after Greenberg made it clear he hadn't flipped because he's holding out for a pardon.

The highly tarnished silver lining of these people is that they seem constitutionally incapable of not grifting and throwing each other under the bus at all times.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I hear that Congressman Jordan didn't see a thing.

brains
May 12, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

Yes! The texts are from Greenberg, who is in jail after getting charged with 33 counts by the feds. Stone's probably in the clear on this one, as he was only theoretically going to get paid to chase the pardon (legal - just can't buy a pardon yourself).

Gaetz has a lot of poo poo to worry about because his hookup very clearly wrote a lot of poo poo down and is either singing to the feds or has very, very poor safeguards on his poo poo. I'd bet the former - Greenberg's obviously the big fish in this case, but he probably is trying to convince the feds that he could help bag them a Congressman.

am i missing something or did Greenberg admit a sexual crime with a minor to Stone, who then did nothing except try to grift off it? Is he not an accessory after the fact?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

boop the snoot posted:

It’s a sign that he should just shut up, is what it is.

The problem is the damage has already been done. Rogan's audience selectively hears things, and this "I'm a moron" will just be taken as "oh, THEY made him say that."

Whoops, someone else already made this salient point. :shrug:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

First time I ever saw a satellite out in the middle of the Pacific blew my goddamn mind, I thought it was Martians or Skunk Works poo poo or something. I never knew they could be visible from the ground.

brains
May 12, 2004

like i'm no fancy big city lawyer or nothin, but i'm pretty sure that if someone approached you to say "heck yeah dude, my friend and i have been having sex with minors!! just need you to make it go away!" and you don't report it, you're now an accessory

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

brains posted:

am i missing something or did Greenberg admit a sexual crime with a minor to Stone, who then did nothing except try to grift off it? Is he not an accessory after the fact?

I don't think so because the he didn't assist in evading or hiding the crime, he just didn't report it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

piL posted:

I don't think so because the he didn't assist in evading or hiding the crime, he just didn't report it.

Would offering to broker the pardon play into that though?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Lemniscate Blue posted:

First time I ever saw a satellite out in the middle of the Pacific blew my goddamn mind, I thought it was Martians or Skunk Works poo poo or something. I never knew they could be visible from the ground.

Now you can see a whole Starlink chain march across the sky after they launch. It's so freaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The other cool thing about NODs and the sky was seeing unexplainable poo poo.