Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Venom felt like an early 2000s comic book movie which I had thought we stopped making by like 2008-2009.

Like it wasn’t terrible but it definitely wasn’t good.

Yeah, that's about how I felt coming out of it. I enjoyed it, but it really did feel like it should have come out maybe a bit after the first Fantastic Four movie just in its style and presentation. But that said, it felt like one of the better early 2000s comic book movies, the kind that we still look back on pretty fondly today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Those people think the Alita movie is good. There is no therapist good enough on this planet.

The Alita movie isn't good. It's excellent.

Also I couldn't care less about Flash or Black Adam.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Is it now a hot take to like Alita: Battle Angel, a rad movie written and produced by James Cameron?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think liking anything is a hot take to someone these days.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
I posit that venom is such a lovely, dumb character that it would be literally impossible to make any good movie about him

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Venom movie has a lot of issues but what's truly amazing is that it's a movie about a silicon valley billionaire conducting horrific experiments on the homeless population of san francisco and yet it is somehow less evil than reality

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's my belief that Venom's design is one of those things that no amount of bad storytelling or dubious rights fuckery can can bring down. He just looks too cool. If he had shown up in Amazing Spider-Man 300 looking like Spidercide or the Doppleganger or Spotto or any number of other evil Spider-Men, we probably wouldn't still be talking about him to this day.

But he looks like that. They took that perfect Mike Zeck design, put it on Peter, and then a few years later turned it into a Bizarro-style monstrous mirror enemy. And he's been consistently popular ever since. That's how how hard it is to gently caress with that look. Unless they redesign Venom to make him look lovely (and the closest they've ever gotten to that was Gargan Venom, who still looked pretty cool) he's not going anywhere.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's also why they go back to the well a lot. Symbiotes just all look rad regardless of if they're any good in any other respect. It's a good loving design base. The best work McFarlane's ever done.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah but what if there was an immortal symbiote dude who can't be beat and is trying to destroy the universe and he has claws and a big cape?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I haven't read any comics in a long time but the whole Knull thing sounds stupid as hell

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah but what if there was an immortal symbiote dude who can't be beat and is trying to destroy the universe and he has claws and a big cape?

That sounds pretty rad and would like to know more.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That sounds pretty rad and would like to know more.

Well, then I've got a character for you! I'm Todd McFarlane, creator of Spawn

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Venom is a perfect background movie where you really don't have to care what is going on. It had a few good scenes and watching Hardy talk to himself/Venom as some kind of odd couple was probably the highlight. Also Venom acknowledging that he is just a loser dealing with toxic masculinity was great.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FlamingLiberal posted:

I haven't read any comics in a long time but the whole Knull thing sounds stupid as hell
It sounds extremely 90s but somehow not invented in the 90s?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
venom was okay enough to sit through once, but never again. that's about all i can say about it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The United States posted:

It sounds extremely 90s but somehow not invented in the 90s?
Yeah the whole concept is extremely 90s and it was what, 2018?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Brandon what’s your account name

https://twitter.com/brandon_bird/status/1387908905129308160?s=21

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
What I don't understand is why does Knull look like a fantasy elf vampire in evil paladin armor and wield a sword? Like, he's the king of the symbiote planet right, shouldn't he kinda look like a symbiote maybe? Or at least an alien.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Endless Mike posted:

There are a lot of things wrong with Knull, but chief among them is he doesn't look cool at all. I mean, if he was the only guy with long white hair with goth armor and a goth sword, that'd be one thing, but that list is so long that the disambiguation page on wikipedia's multiple pages. Conan has probably killed 20 guys like that, alone.

You don't even have to go that far back in time, he looks entirely too much like that bad Dracula redesign from Curse of the Mutants, for one thing

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

It's also why they go back to the well a lot. Symbiotes just all look rad regardless of if they're any good in any other respect. It's a good loving design base. The best work McFarlane's ever done.

Also gotta give credit to Erik Larsen for giving him that wicked tongue. He wasn’t the first to give him *a* tongue, but he dialed it up to what we all know and love.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's a shame because the reputation of symbiotes as "dumb poo poo from the 90s that sucks and everyone should stop liking" was well into remission before that whole mess. There were several Carnage minis of decent quality, even though some were definitely better than others, which emphasized that it's more about the fact that he's just completely amoral and thinks everyone else should be that makes him a threat rather than his powers. Flash Thompson's run as Venom was easily the best Venom material we ever got, and we even got some interesting Eddie Brock stories here and there, both as Toxin and as Anti-Venom as well as just a depressed guy with a bad brain. The 2003-era take that these characters were an aberration of the 90s that only casual fans like was well on its way to being proven wrong.

And then Donny Cates decided all symbiotes are pawns of what can best be described as a lovely metal band's mascot, and the stupidest storyline ever snowballed from there.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

~*justknullthings*~

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Retrowave Joe posted:

Also gotta give credit to Erik Larsen for giving him that wicked tongue. He wasn’t the first to give him *a* tongue, but he dialed it up to what we all know and love.

oh no not Door-Spider Man :ohdear:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've actually managed to miss everything about Knull, and I only know that he's related to the symbiotes. I thought he was going to be a villain in a big crossover, but I feel like I've been hearing him mentioned consistently for years now? Is he the Batman Who Laughs for Marvel right now?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah there's some big event with him right now, which is like the 800th time there has been a big 'symbiotes take over' plotline

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Madkal posted:

Venom is a perfect background movie where you really don't have to care what is going on. It had a few good scenes and watching Hardy talk to himself/Venom as some kind of odd couple was probably the highlight. Also Venom acknowledging that he is just a loser dealing with toxic masculinity was great.

Hopefully in Venom 3 we can see him deal with... Toxin masculinity.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I haven’t seen Venom yet and I’m kind of bummed you can’t rent it online — only purchase it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love the Symbiots but as part of Spider-Man (or other heroes) stories. Maybe someday i'll give Venom a try. I got through Mortal Kombat okay. I have been meaning to watch Alita, ditto Bloodshot, I heard both are a lot better than you think. Also Rose Salazar was super cute in that Short Trek where H John Benjamin gets eaten by Tribbles.

Speaking of super cute actors, I'm watching a video about Amazing Spider-Man 2 and I completely forgot that Felicity Jones was Felicia. Could of had her as Black Cat if that movie wasn't garbage. Reminds me how I hope to god that Marvel/Sony have decided not to add Gwen Stacy to kill her, also Gwen is way, way WAY more popular right now as Spider-Gwen/Ghost-Spider. Easier to sell merch with super cool super hero/drummer Gwen Stacy than Parkers dead girlfriend.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

twistedmentat posted:

I have been meaning to watch Alita,

I haven't watched Alita. But it's mainly because it came out during the time a bunch of internet weirdos became obsessed with Brie Larson and Captain Marvel, and decided Alita was prime chud/comicgator entertainment. I know it's not, lol. But drat, I ended up sick of all that mess that I can't bring myself to watch the movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Desperado Bones posted:

I haven't watched Alita. But it's mainly because it came out during the time a bunch of internet weirdos became obsessed with Brie Larson and Captain Marvel, and decided Alita was prime chud/comicgator entertainment. I know it's not, lol. But drat, I ended up sick of all that mess that I can't bring myself to watch the movie.

Yea that was a big part of not wanting to check it out. Also figuring a live action western anime adaption was going to be garbage.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

catlord posted:

I've actually managed to miss everything about Knull, and I only know that he's related to the symbiotes. I thought he was going to be a villain in a big crossover, but I feel like I've been hearing him mentioned consistently for years now? Is he the Batman Who Laughs for Marvel right now?

He's been the main villain of almost the entirety of Donny Cates' terrible run on Venom. The current crossover event, King in Black, is the culmination of that run.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Venom was good

Alita is... okay?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Collapsing Farts posted:

Venom was good

Alita is... okay?
Venom somehow had more pronounced class politics than Alita, and Alita's not subtle

OnimaruXLR posted:

There are a lot of things wrong with Knull, but chief among them is he doesn't look cool at all. I mean, if he was the only guy with long white hair with goth armor and a goth sword, that'd be one thing, but that list is so long that the disambiguation page on wikipedia's multiple pages. Conan has probably killed 20 guys like that, alone.

You don't even have to go that far back in time, he looks entirely too much like that bad Dracula redesign from Curse of the Mutants, for one thing
Knull is American Sephiroth

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Knull feels like some high school kids’ version of a badass evil dude, like they read Spawn and Blackest Night and decided that they could make an even more extreme character.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Collapsing Farts posted:

Alita is... okay?

I don't know if the material it's based off of has the same structure but Alita would've been better if it had a third act.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

Alita was good

Venom is... okay?

Edit: also Mortal Kombat was fun and dumb and I got exactly what I wanted out of it.

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 30, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I don't know if the material it's based off of has the same structure but Alita would've been better if it had a third act.

It's a mega long manga series and the next arc has lots of twists in it. The movie ending was obviously trying to make a sequel happen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

Also, "knull" means "gently caress" in Norwegian.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
My favourite part of the Alita movie was when she saved her boyfriend by cutting off his head and plugging his neck into a bunch of random tubes in her body. Then later attaching the head to a robot body lol

then he dies at the end anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I remember liking the alita movie well enough, though tbh I couldn't tell you much of anything that happened in it now