Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT7_LNIrBlE

Looks like a time attack might be coming to Eternal.

:bisonyes: hell yes that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I haven’t watched that video yet but BRING BACK ARCADE MODE

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
id bet decent money they're combining time attack and arcade mode

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

hope they do an official horde mode or some kind of randomizer at some point

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

When’s the god drat PS5 version

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

maybe when more then like 20 people have a ps5.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

people are going loving bonkers online about them charging for paid cosmetic poo poo like skins. how else are they going to keep this game alive a year past launch? start working for free? this feels like a fine compromise. sell the pink sparkly marauder skins so they can give one of their teams a budget for cranking out new levels and game modes. what am i missing? some slippery slope where iD turns into EA games?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ROFLburger posted:

people are going loving bonkers online about them charging for paid cosmetic poo poo like skins. how else are they going to keep this game alive a year past launch? start working for free? this feels like a fine compromise. sell the pink sparkly marauder skins so they can give one of their teams a budget for cranking out new levels and game modes. what am i missing? some slippery slope where iD turns into EA games?

Because it’s still P2W. Pay 2 Wow. Alternatively known as P2D, or Pay 2 Dazzle.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
i will never pay. take that, capitalism

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm always amused when people pick the absolute least scummy MTX schemes to get super mad about. Especially when it's under the guise of like "this is a test to see how far they can push it." Motherfucker that ship has sailed.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
the ship has sailed, and returned, and colonies and trade routes have been long established, and MTX has been sustaining an empire of a thousand years

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Just make the demon skins randomize in single player and people will gleefully pay for them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did I miss something? When did paid for skins happen, I thought that was just the Doot Revenant and the classic shotty pre-order skins.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
lmao at people playing battle mode enough to care about skins

lmao at caring what skin your doom guy is in campaign past Classic Marine or "I Beat Nightmare"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I would have loved demon skins in campaign. Hell I'd play through again at least once or twice if they added that

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Biggest disappointment was paying for Doot Revenant and not being able to use it in single player. Schamde :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'm always amused when people pick the absolute least scummy MTX schemes to get super mad about. Especially when it's under the guise of like "this is a test to see how far they can push it." Motherfucker that ship has sailed.

For real. People get mad at DLC like the hitman releases and its like, this is good content for a fair price? If you're gonna get upset about MTX there's so many EA games that are so vastly exploitative you should start with first...

Vinylshadow posted:

Just make the demon skins randomize in single player and people will gleefully pay for them

Absurd this isn't already an option.

I don't wanna play battle mode, give me another use for em!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

People get mad at DLC like the hitman releases and its like, this is good content for a fair price?

A lot of gamers are just unbelievably stingy. Like I’ll happily wait to pay less than full price for a game but I’d never complain about the prices. Games take money to make!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

A lot of gamers are just unbelievably stingy. Like I’ll happily wait to pay less than full price for a game but I’d never complain about the prices. Games take money to make!
I mean "games cost a lot to make" has been the defense for adding all manner of MTX. Except the part where games upfront are more profitable these days due to reaching bigger audiences. Or they could, you know, spend less on modeling horse balls or hiring the most expensive well known actors to do voice work.

I'll take complainers over people who don't see issues with crap loot box gambling and paid cheats/skips.

Some of the anger is apparently coming from the fact that people had the impression that skins wouldn't be sold:
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/doom-eternal-has-added-paid-skins-despite-previous-assurances-it-wouldnt/

quote:

As Forbes reported at the time, creative director Hugo Martin told a player on Facebook before launch that the game would have “no store”, adding: “Eternal is a $60 game, not a free to play game or mobile game – we are giving you a complete experience with no store just like you’d expect.
Is it the worst kind of MTX? Certainly not. Is it still worthy of cynicism? Sure.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah but like, one of these skins was a Twitch Prime tie-in thing and the other has been available twice now through free events. Yes, I guess it's possible they'll stop doing the free events (or fill them with really lovely skins) so they can put the good stuff up for sale, and that would be lovely. But this is just a complete non-issue as it stands, IMO.

Throwing a couple of skins up for sale a year + after release and after all the planned DLC is done on a single player game, ostensibly to fund more free Master Levels or Arcade Mode or whatever, is pretty much as inoffensive an implementation of MTX as I can possibly imagine. Titanfall 2 did the same thing so they could release additional MP maps, although I thought the prices were a little high.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 30, 2021

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I love how passionate people can get about skins in a 1st person shooter where you can only ever see, like, part of your forearm and a thumb.

Oh wait I forgot once every couple hours you get to jump on a wall and see the back of both of your hands. lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm passionate about demon skins. I want to hang out with hipster archvile and doot revenant and elvis mancubus and then glory kill them

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Skin randomizer, click the ones you want to be in the pool and they can randomly be on a demon in single player mode when they warp in.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, this seems fine. It's a TOTAL BETRAYAL I WILL NEVER LET IT GO HUGO NEVER I AM A GOON YOU UNDERSTAND WE HAVE LONG MEMORIES but on the other hand, it's all cosmetic.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
so loving on tilt, died to some loving dread knight in arc complex and then the next run ate poo poo in the totem room in super gore nest

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOOgFZhmiW8

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
dear god lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nice

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
alright, used my rage to push on through and managed to beat gladiator while still having my saving throw. thats the doomguy way

also what the gently caress these modders

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Technical post
I'm getting prepared to play Doom Eternal the first time, but was noticing mouse-acceleration issues while in the settings menu. I'm running the game currently at 1080p, due to my monitor limitations. I'm running a RTX 3090 Strix and a 10900KF CPU, and using the latest Nvidia drivers from April 29th, 2021.

I checked online for similar problems and a few wrote that disabling vertical-sync corrected the mouse-sensitivity problem, while in the game's menu. Some also said disabling motion blur may also correct the problem, but I didn't fully test that case.

Once I applied the changes to disable vertical-sync, then my computer's fans immediately started spinning faster at a noticeably high rate. I turned the vertical-sync back on, just the basic "On" setting, and the fan speed stabilized a bit.

Is this just an issue with only Doom Eternal's setting's menu or does it also come up while in-game?

I checked the mouse-smoothing parameter and it was already set to zero while checking at the console (m_smoothing 0).

I don't recall having this problem with the mouse and graphics settings in Doom 2016, and was playing on a system 7 years older than my current computer. Since I found another online post about the mouse sensitivity/vertical sync menu problem I don't think the issue is just unique with my computer, though maybe the system temperature rising sharply could be unique.

Also I assume I don't need vsync turned on with my setup, but could be wrong. I'm using an older HD LED TV as a monitor, which supports up to 60 FPS, but that's only temporary, until I can buy a new monitor in a few months.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

nnnotime posted:

Technical post
I'm getting prepared to play Doom Eternal the first time, but was noticing mouse-acceleration issues while in the settings menu. I'm running the game currently at 1080p, due to my monitor limitations. I'm running a RTX 3090 Strix and a 10900KF CPU, and using the latest Nvidia drivers from April 29th, 2021.

I checked online for similar problems and a few wrote that disabling vertical-sync corrected the mouse-sensitivity problem, while in the game's menu. Some also said disabling motion blur may also correct the problem, but I didn't fully test that case.

Once I applied the changes to disable vertical-sync, then my computer's fans immediately started spinning faster at a noticeably high rate. I turned the vertical-sync back on, just the basic "On" setting, and the fan speed stabilized a bit.

Is this just an issue with only Doom Eternal's setting's menu or does it also come up while in-game?

I checked the mouse-smoothing parameter and it was already set to zero while checking at the console (m_smoothing 0).

I don't recall having this problem with the mouse and graphics settings in Doom 2016, and was playing on a system 7 years older than my current computer. Since I found another online post about the mouse sensitivity/vertical sync menu problem I don't think the issue is just unique with my computer, though maybe the system temperature rising sharply could be unique.

Also I assume I don't need vsync turned on with my setup, but could be wrong. I'm using an older HD LED TV as a monitor, which supports up to 60 FPS, but that's only temporary, until I can buy a new monitor in a few months.

Flipping Vsync off will essentially de-limit the framerate, and the game will render as fast as it can.

I wouldf suggest going into the Nvidia control panel and setting a frame rate cap (Nvidia control panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Max Frame Rate). If you're not using an adaptive sync (gysync/freesync) screen, i'd set it to whatever refresh rate your screen runs at. This will stop the ramp up you're hearing because it will be rendering stready 60fps or whatever again rather than 300.

If you are using adaptive sync, your framerate cap should be ~3fps under your refresh rate, and Vsync should be off ingame all the time anyway.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 1, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
AirRaid beat me to it, but yeah lots of games don't have any kind of frame limiter on the menus and so if you don't have vsync it'll render 3000 fps and your gpu will get very toasty.

Its kinda ridiculous that this issue is so pervasive, but thank goodness Nvidia added a frame limiter to the driver level control panel just a few months ago so that's no longer a real issue :)

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

That glory kill where the Slayer takes the Axe is my favorite in the game. That way the Maurder looks up has this sadness about it and you see him realizing that, even after selling his soul, he still comes up short compared to The Slayer. I almost feel sorry for the bastard.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

hugo AMA up anywhere? don't see it on bethesda's youtube or twitch

e: nvm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfGwDPmoqNc

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

side_burned posted:

That glory kill where the Slayer takes the Axe is my favorite in the game. That way the Maurder looks up has this sadness about it and you see him realizing that, even after selling his soul, he still comes up short compared to The Slayer. I almost feel sorry for the bastard.

I prefer the one where he catches your punch like he's Batman, but then you extend the wrist blade into his face.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvoyHESyLrs

Lol at KeenGuy putting the Praetor Helmet down instead.

Also holy poo poo I have been making quickswapping harder for myself. I dodnt realize you could just hold down the fire button when swapping guns. Still need to click for the precision bolt but this will make ssg ballista shits easier.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 2, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cursed Prowler will give you a blood punch charge after cursing you so that you aren't completely hosed.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
finally bagged my vanilla campaign gold skin. ive s-ranked dmc 3, 4, and 5 all the way to DMD difficulty and i would still argue that UN doom eternal might be the most difficult, and therefore proudest achievement ive ever done in gaming. this game is the best fps in history so far

now, it's time to learn good strats against dlc1's final boss phase because afaik that poo poo is still a hell of a mountain to climb

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

toasterwarrior posted:

finally bagged my vanilla campaign gold skin. ive s-ranked dmc 3, 4, and 5 all the way to DMD difficulty and i would still argue that UN doom eternal might be the most difficult, and therefore proudest achievement ive ever done in gaming. this game is the best fps in history so far

now, it's time to learn good strats against dlc1's final boss phase because afaik that poo poo is still a hell of a mountain to climb

Stay up high as much as you can, try to take out the posessed demons while they jump to your platform and learn to cycle the precision bolt and ballista to destroy the laser eyes quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
wider window on the blood maykrs will be a godsend, and from preliminary research apparently arbalest spam will kill the pain elemental fairly quickly. just hope it works out

EDIT: another thing i noticed is that the microwave beam actually has a significantly longer range than you'd assume so i need to remember that

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 9, 2021